• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix says comparisons between Foamstars and Splatoon are unfounded

Draugoth

Gold Member
FOAMSTARS_Launch_Keyart_3840x2160_v01_wLogo-e1705353307312-1440x787.jpg

Square Enix wants players to discover Foamstars is more than just a homage to Nintendo’s own arena-painter – and it plans to do it by giving the colourful 4v4 shooter to all PlayStation Plus subscribers at no additional cost.

“First of all, yes,” laughs producer Kosuke Okatani, when asked if he’s bored of comparisons to Nintendo’s arena-painting blaster Splatoon. “There have been many comparisons on the internet, but also, we saw on social media that the people who actually played it saw that it’s a completely different game and I hope you also agree.

“I feel like the mechanic of having the things you shoot stay on the field is very unique,” he added, joking that it would be “a great honour” if fans eventually give the genre a nickname akin to ‘Soulsborne’ or ‘Metroidvania’ (pressed, Square Enix said it refers to Foamstars as an “online party shooter”).

Source

SCB3

If it wasn't for PS Plus, it'd be DOA

However, its gonna be like Destruction All Stars, Knockout City, All the Fortnite clones.... Long Lasting right?

Oh wait, not only is Splatoon around, as soon as someone re-creates this as a mode in Fortnite.....

Impotaku

“I feel like the mechanic of having the things you shoot stay on the field is very unique,”

How is this unique?, it's no different to the ink in splatoon remaining on wherever you fire it till the other team paints over it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They're right. One is paint and the other is foam and one has squid people and the other does not. This isn't that complicated.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
"You guys like Splatoon right? Then please try our game."
- Square 1 month after release when no one is playing their game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
he added, joking that it would be “a great honour” if fans eventually give the genre a nickname akin to ‘Soulsborne’ or ‘Metroidvania’

See? They didn’t copy Splatoon, it’s a genre now.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
he added, joking that it would be “a great honour” if fans eventually give the genre a nickname akin to ‘Soulsborne’ or ‘Metroidvania’

See? They didn’t copy Splatoon, it’s a genre now.

He makes a fair point. The gimmick here of the genre is that projectiles are not entirely transitory and affect the environment and traversal. 3D "painter" games in short.

And 2D painter games go back over 40 years.

i bet they used Generative A.I. to come out with the concept.

"make the concept for a game like splatton but NFT friendly"

Title: CryptoSplatter

Concept:
CryptoSplatter is an action-packed multiplayer game inspired by Splatoon, enhanced with NFT (Non-Fungible Token) integration. Players engage in colorful, fast-paced battles where they control unique NFT-based characters called "Cryptonauts."

Gameplay:
1. **NFT Characters:** Each player owns and controls a Cryptonaut, represented by exclusive NFTs. These NFTs can be traded, sold, and even evolve based on in-game achievements.

2. **Blockchain Paint Wars:** Instead of traditional ink, players use blockchain-inspired paint to claim territory and battle opponents. Successfully splattering paint contributes to the Cryptonaut's evolution and overall NFT value.

3. **NFT Power-Ups:** Discover and collect rare NFT power-ups during matches to gain temporary boosts, enhance abilities, or unlock unique paint effects, adding strategic depth to the game.

4. **Tokenized Rewards:** Players earn cryptocurrency rewards based on their in-game performance. These rewards can be used to purchase cosmetic upgrades, new NFTs, or traded on external marketplaces.

5. **Dynamic NFT Marketplace:** The game features a dynamic marketplace where players can buy, sell, and trade Cryptonaut NFTs, paint patterns, and other in-game assets. Limited edition NFT events could drive community engagement.

6. **Leaderboards and Tournaments:** Compete for top positions on global leaderboards and participate in NFT-backed tournaments with valuable prizes, encouraging friendly competition and skill improvement.

7. **Community Governance:** Token holders have voting rights to influence game updates, NFT releases, and overall direction through decentralized governance, fostering a strong community-driven ecosystem.

CryptoSplatter aims to merge the exciting gameplay of Splatoon with the unique benefits of NFT technology, creating an immersive experience where players not only enjoy the game but also actively contribute to the evolving ecosystem.

//DEVIL//

Come one bro. The game isn't even out yet,
Futurama Squinting GIF

do you even any hope it will be a success ? come on lol

even the reveal trailer was boring. i forget about the game 2 mins after I hear its name...

but then again... I said the same thing about fortnight so what do I know.

Futurama Squinting GIF

do you even any hope it will be a success ? come on lol

even the reveal trailer was boring. i forget about the game 2 mins after I hear its name...

but then again... I said the same thing about fortnight so what do I know.

I have no clue, but to condemn the game to a failure before it has released (even with positive media impressions and a fairly decent demo) is asinine to me. Especially when no one really knows what constitutes a failure to SE/Sony.

Jen_yakzua

I
I have no clue, but to condemn the game to a failure before it has released (even with positive media impressions and a fairly decent demo) is asinine to me. Especially when no one really knows what constitutes a failure to SE/Sony.
I thought the beta was pretty good

CamHostage

(Ugh, Draugoth, why?)

CONTEXT TO KNOW BEFORE POSTING:
Square Enix did NOT say that comparisons are unfounded; that's not what's in the quotes from the article or even in the VGC headline. OP summarized it in a way that unfortunately is generating a lot of memes and scoffs, but it's not the words (or IMO the intent) of the article. or the game makers.

What Square Enix said is what is quoted, and it's worth reading that bit (if not the whole article) before arguing whether Square Enix's position itself is unfounded, because they did not say comparisons are unfounded. What Square Enix said was...

“First of all, yes,” laughs producer Kosuke Okatani, when asked if he’s bored of comparisons to Nintendo’s arena-painting blaster Splatoon. “There have been many comparisons on the internet, but also, we saw on social media that the people who actually played it saw that it’s a completely different game and I hope you also agree.

“I feel like the mechanic of having the things you shoot stay on the field is very unique,” he added, joking that it would be “a great honour” if fans eventually give the genre a nickname akin to ‘Soulsborne’ or ‘Metroidvania’ (pressed, Square Enix said it refers to Foamstars as an “online party shooter”).

If you still think it's brash of Square Enix to say their goo-gun zone-conquer arena MP game is "a completely different game" from Nintendo's goo-gun zone-conquer arena MP game, this thread's for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom