• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foamstars | Review Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game Information

Game Title: Foamstars

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 7, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 7, 2024)
Trailer:

Publisher: SQUARE ENIX CO. LTD.

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 65 average - 60% recommended

Yzp8Pcg.jpg

MetaCritic - 59/100 - Based on 10 Reviews

RX8WoPn.jpg

Critic Reviews

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 6 / 10
Foamstars isn’t terrible, but its uninspired gameplay, deficit of content, and obscene monetization make it a forgettable experience.

Eurogamer - Kaan Serin - 3 / 5
Foamstars is a serviceable paintballer in the vein of Splatoon, lathered with some wild lore and underwhelming hero shooter elements.

Push Square - Stephen Tailby - 7 / 10
Foamstars is a colourful, unique, and entertaining shooter. The modes and characters on offer at launch are fun twists on genre staples, and the central foam mechanic is a playful addition with some potential for strategy. It's lighthearted, fast-paced fun with plenty of style. While the steep microtransactions and the so-so co-op missions keep it from being squeaky clean, there's a lot to like about this bubbly multiplayer title.

Screen Rant - Carrie Lambertsen - 3.5 / 5
There is so much good to say about Foamstars, with its quirky characters and cheerfully energizing feel. While at launch the matches do not feel entirely balanced, that will even out with time, yet the microtransactions look as though they could only get worse. Currently, Foamstars is free on PS Plus for anyone to try it out, but after March 5th anyone who does not already have the game downloaded will have to purchase it for $29.99. That price, combined with the costs of Premium Seasonal Passes and in-game store purchases can quickly add up and is overwhelming. Cosmetic items don't have to be purchased, of course, but to be faced with that many instances of trying to get players to spend money simply feels much dirtier than a soap-filled game ever should.

The Game Crater - Chris Melnyk - 5 / 10
Foamstars tries to bring something new to the table but has almost immediately been drowned out thanks to its repetitiveness.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
SQEX is probably sweating it more than anyone with all these Xbox rumors, fearing they may have to pay for all their games and marketing by themselves soon.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Sure would be cool if they dedicated dev resources to something original. Foamstars has about as much soul as Gameloft iPhone games.

havoc00

All they had to do was rip off splatoon and be competent about it, they failed also lol @ this being sold for 30 soon doa

IAmRei

Square strikes again... I saw the review yesterday, seeing the whole artstyle makes me confused.

Is it splatoon?
Is it fornite?
Is it scifi?
Is it western style cartoon or american anime style?

My friend said that one of the character is using same character combat style with apex.

The color clashes bad with environment
The UI is like mashed up from some difference kind of trends.

The bubble we shoot is too big and making visibility is not clear.

What they are thinking, its like quick cashgrab title imo.

I think they are trying too hard to be the next gaas trend and fills the gap because ninty have splatoon, a quite big market to try.

There are a lot of things they need to fix, at least for game presentation

DryvBy

Time to end all of these GAAS, live service, MP online only games. Very few pan out and most are shallow and only exist to sucker those few into buying it and paying for stupid MTX.

I agree but if they are doing a MP only game, 100% make it GAAS like they did Helldivers 2. That's the perfect model.

Top Bottom