• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foamstars | Preview Thread

6194c73dc2012fa0425b022f288194649b131a2c.jpg

Written Previews:

Smash the Star is presented as Foamstars' signature mode where two teams of four battle it out deathmatch-style until they reach seven eliminations, at which point an opponent's "Star Player" is crowned. This player is buffed with increased health and damage output, making them formidable on the bubble-field, but once a Star Player is taken down the match is over. It's a genuinely fun time and when teams are balanced can get really tense, as fights go down to the wire and the risk/reward nature of attacking your opponent and defending your Star Player comes to the fore.
First impressions may be to dismiss Foamstars as a Splatoon clone, but after playing it I found its hero-shooter DNA became much more apparent. Yes, painting the floor with your team's foam colour aids movement, enabling you to surf along the perpetually changing floor with ease, but points are not awarded for how much territory you occupy.

Where Splatoon's paint (or, I suppose, ink) covers flat, two-dimensional planes in flat, two-dimensional paint, the foam in Foamstars is three-dimensional. It has mass and can be interacted with. This makes the game's primary offensive and defensive tools the exact same thing. Because it has mass, foam can be used to block your opponents' lines of sight or wall off lanes of traversal. Because you can climb on it, you can use it to gain a height advantage or clamber over enemy walls. You can bounce on it. You can use it to alter the terrain of a level. If you find the right item, a kind of Back to the Future hoverboard, you can surf along the top of it.
All of this quite literally changes the landscape of every match, and it's the mechanic that I'm most interested in. Will it be enough to sell the game to a larger audience? It's hard to say. What might help Foamstars' fortunes is that Square Enix is launching it on February 6, as one of the monthly games on PS Plus. It's the Rocket League strategy — release it onto PS Plus, a popular and highly-subscribed service, and hope that entices people to check it out. It's far from a guarantee of success — Destruction All-Stars' PS Plus launch didn't meet with anything close to the sustained success of Rocket League, so I imagine there's a lot of crossed fingers at Toylogic this month.

Video Previews:

Last edited:

SCB3

Man this game is pretty much DOA I think, it doesn't seem to offer more than Splatoon and that has no MTX at all, its lucky in a sense that its coming out now with nothing much happening release wise

My prediction, it'll last a year and go the way of Knockout City

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Changing the terrain in 3D could be a cool element for matches, with barricades. Honestly a bit like Fortnite I guess.

They are doing a disservice to this game by copying Splatoon so closely in some of the elements. Some of the menu screenshots looked nearly 1:1 lifted. It's not like SQEX doesn't have capable artists.

Man this game is pretty much DOA I think, it doesn't seem to offer more than Splatoon and that has no MTX at all, its lucky in a sense that its coming out now with nothing much happening release wise

My prediction, it'll last a year and go the way of Knockout City

Splatoon is not on PS5 and we cannot assume that everyone that has a PS5 also has a Switch with access to Splatoon. Not really a fair comparison.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Man this game is pretty much DOA I think, it doesn't seem to offer more than Splatoon and that has no MTX at all
If only we had evidence that the public embraced MTX...if only...

Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes is this gonna be the next Gaas hit??
I'm skeptical. Will it make more money than Forespoken, DioField Chronicles, or the Octopath Travelers games? Probably.

TVexperto

something seems off with the contrast... in splattoon it was so intuitive to see the difference but here its all mixed

Top Bottom