• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flat Earth "The truth is more important than my life."

SKM1

Could we not be in a simulation where the world is not a globe...?

Reality can be anything whatsoever you want it to be as long as it is self consistent. The power of our science lies more in the fact that it can make predictions. As long as alternative models outside of science are incapable of making meaningful quantitative predictions they are wholly useless (ignoring ethical considerations).

Idiots like Weilthain Weilthain assume that scientists do not question what they are taught, when in reality that's what they are trained to do.

I’m on a plane, surprisingly sober and the Earth looks pretty damn flat to me. Maybe after a few drinks, it’ll look round. I’ll check in later after a few rum and diet cocks.
You realize that you yourself represent the head of a pin on a giant beach ball, right? The only way that you would see the curvature of the earth is with a cloud-free horizon and a 60 degree field of view (per google). Earth is huge. Even then, it will be very slight from that height.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
Reality can be anything whatsoever you want it to be as long as it is self consistent. The power of our science lies more in the fact that it can make predictions. As long as alternative models outside of science are incapable of making meaningful quantitative predictions they are wholly useless (ignoring ethical considerations).

Idiots like Weilthain Weilthain assume that scientists do not question what they are taught, when in reality that's what they are trained to do.
Hey stop lying about me you toad. Your space math and space lies about my character have no power over me.

Weilthain

Banned
You realize that you yourself represent the head of a pin on a giant beach ball, right? The only way that you would see the curvature of the earth is with a cloud-free horizon and a 60 degree field of view (per google). Earth is huge. Even then, it will be very slight from that height.
Check out some high altitude balloon footage on YouTube, some nice views whether you imagine a curve or not.

DiscoJer

You can literally see the curvature of the Earth on a seashore. It's why you see the masts (or smokestacks) of a ship on the horizon, but not the ship itself.

Despera

Banned
To be honest I don't really "get" the whole Flat Earth thing.

They are kind of a cross between trolls and conspiracy theorists?

It always struck me that they know the whole thing CAN'T be true but they enjoy seeing how far they can run with it?

Like you could look at how our modern culture holds "science" up as this infallible thing.
However the truth is that science is more or less always a process of assuming something is true and then working towards an even better understanding that sometimes ends up proving that the old assumptions were entirely wrong.

It always seemed to me that Flat Earth is almost like a rebellion against science, or at least against the idea that today "facts" are set in stone.

CLEARLY the Earth is not flat. That's absurd.

However, when I look at it from the outside, I am kind of uncomfortable with how the Flat Earth community is treated and it really seems to be that the way they are treated by the mainstream culture plays a big factor in how they are able to grow.

We seem to be REALLY terrible at dealing with people who are, for whatever reason, outright denying scientific facts.
The Bible/Quran never mentioned a round earth or that earth orbits the sun, etc...

That's the basis for a lot of this, specifically those who truly believe in a flat earth.

MadAnon

Could we not be in a simulation where the world is not a globe...?
You constantly argue in favor of flat earth but haven't provided any proof of your claims. Saying that NASA and government lies isn't proof that the earth is not a globe. You don't need to go down the retarded conspiracy rabbit hole. Maybe start with simple observations of how sun moves throughout the day and how objects "sink" behind the horizon. That alone completely crashes the possibility of flat earth. Flatbrains only know how to parrot "It's perspective, It's perspective" but they struggle to address the huge holes in THEIR inconsistant "law of perspective". For some reason the sun doesn't become smaller and smaller the closer it gets to the horizon while ship do. But for some reason they both "sink" behind the horizon because muh perspective.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
You constantly argue in favor of flat earth but haven't provided any proof of your claims. Saying that NASA and government lies isn't proof that the earth is not a globe. You don't need to go down the retarded conspiracy rabbit hole. Maybe start with simple observations of how sun moves throughout the day and how objects "sink" behind the horizon. That alone completely crashes the possibility of flat earth. Flatbrains only know how to parrot "It's perspective, It's perspective" but they struggle to address the huge holes in THEIR inconsistant "law of perspective". For some reason the sun doesn't become smaller and smaller the closer it gets to the horizon while ship does. But for some reason they both "sink" behind the horizon because muh perspective.
On clear days the sun does actually get smaller as it goes further away.

the atmosphere magnifies the moon and sun so it normally gets bigger the lower they are

the boats over the horizon thing you really need to look into that some more and see what you find.

zeomax

the atmosphere magnifies the moon and sun so it normally gets bigger the lower they are

the boats over the horizon thing you really need to look into that some more and see what you find.

MadAnon

According to Weilthain this is the sun that moves away from you and dissappears because of perspective.

MadAnon

the sun getting smaller. You’re cruising for theme song of your own if you keep insulting me like that
Show me a video that filters out the glare and you can clearly see the sun shrinking in size as it moves towards the horizon like any other object does when it moves away from you. I repeat, a video with changing glare won't cut it. That's what flat brains always use to fool the gullible.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
Show me a video that filters out the glare and you can clearly see the sun gettin smaller as it moves towards the horizon. I repeat, a video with changing glare won't cut it.
This is a good one

I’m starting to think you don’t think I’m a real scientist. Of course I have done all these experiments.

Fret Runner

This flat earth rabbit hole is really eye opening.
I now know the truth as to what really happened to the dinosaurs.
tenor.gif

MadAnon

This is a good one

I’m starting to think you don’t think I’m a real scientist. Of course I have done all these experiments.

You clearly aren't. I asked you videos with clearly visible sun like the one I posted and not video with significant sun glare that loses the itensity due to increasing amount of atmosphere the light has to get through. I said you won't fool me with your flat earther tricks. So I'm waiting a video where I can clearly see the sun "disc" getting smaller.

I can post you a lot more videos where sun is clearly visible and not shrinking. I'm waiting on your proof.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
You clearly aren't. I asked you videos with clearly visible sun like the one I posted and not video with significant sun glare that loses the itensity due to increasing amount of atmosphere the light has to get through. I said you won't fool me with your flat earther tricks. So I'm waiting a video where I can clearly see the sun "disc" getting smaller.

I can post you a lot more videos where sun is clearly visible and not shrinking. I'm waiting on your proof.
I don’t have flat earth powers so don’t worry no tricks I don’t even claim the earth is flat.

I think though there is way more to sunsets than it just being the sun going over the curve.

Atmospheric conditions, light refraction and the sherical nature of our eyes and how perspective works makes me question what am I actually seeing and why it’s happening.

I have seen tons of YouTube videos about the sun but they are hard to find now with YouTube censoring searches for anything related to this kind of thing.

greyshark

Can I interpret this to be a ‘yes’ answer to my question? If you have tested this yourself, what were your results? Were they consistent with the linked article?

MadAnon

I don’t have flat earth powers so don’t worry no tricks I don’t even claim the earth is flat.

I think though there is way more to sunsets than it just being the sun going over the curve.

Atmospheric conditions, light refraction and the sherical nature of our eyes and how perspective works makes me question what am I actually seeing and why it’s happening.

I have seen tons of YouTube videos about the sun but they are hard to find now with YouTube censoring searches for anything related to this kind of thing.

Atmospheric? Shouldn't you be using the term "atmoflatic"?

Obviously have to deflect your own incomptence on soneone else. Youtube is censoring muh evidence.

If you try to slip some space maths past me I will catch you out.

lots of weird stuff going on with the horizon and what we can see due to perspective I’m not convinced.
That’s not space math. You know, if you were as open minded as you say ,you would take in and understand the data from both sides. At this point you don’t even comprehend the basics of anything. That’s not really being open minded.

not to mention, how would you even guess who is right? On one side you don’t trust math and science, on the other side you would trust people that are not scientists and don’t trust cameras.

Last edited:

MadAnon

YouTube is actually censoring it.
Ofcourse... what a convinient excuse. It's not like youtube is full with flat earthers and other conspiracy nut cases but they went out of their way to censore some random video of the Sun because it proves the earth is flat. Obviously Youtube is the holy grail of proof and there's no other places this indcredible flat earth proof can be uploaded.

Keep deflecting your incomptence.

Weilthain

Banned
That’s not space math. You know, if you were as open minded as you say you would take in and understand the data from both sides. At this point you don’t even comprehend the basics of anything. That’s not really being open minded.
I’ve said already it’s a belief thing not an understanding issue.
And don’t talk to me about space maths.

Weilthain

Banned
Ofcourse... what a convinient excuse. It's not like youtube is full with flat earthers and other conspiracy nut cases but they went out of their way to censore some random video of the Sun because it proves the earth is flat. Obviously Youtube is the holy grail of proof and there's no other places this indcredible flat earth proof can be uploaded.

Keep deflecting your incomptence.
You should look into it

greyshark

Sometimes it gets smaller as well actually not just bigger.
Even the “true” position is meant to be different in reality to what we see sometimes.

Again your first statement is directly contradicted by the test. Do you agree with it or not?

How are you coming to the conclusion in your second statement?

Weilthain

Banned
Again your first statement is directly contradicted by the test. Do you agree with it or not?

How are you coming to the conclusion in your second statement?
The reason why the illusion is happening isn’t even agreed on according to what I can find.

I think there may be more to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom