• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flat Earth "The truth is more important than my life."

Kenpachii

Pretty sure there have been lots of flat earth conferences. We had a couple in amsterdam. And oh boy the people that showed up.

Saruhashi

Banned
To be honest I don't really "get" the whole Flat Earth thing.

They are kind of a cross between trolls and conspiracy theorists?

It always struck me that they know the whole thing CAN'T be true but they enjoy seeing how far they can run with it?

Like you could look at how our modern culture holds "science" up as this infallible thing.
However the truth is that science is more or less always a process of assuming something is true and then working towards an even better understanding that sometimes ends up proving that the old assumptions were entirely wrong.

It always seemed to me that Flat Earth is almost like a rebellion against science, or at least against the idea that today "facts" are set in stone.

CLEARLY the Earth is not flat. That's absurd.

However, when I look at it from the outside, I am kind of uncomfortable with how the Flat Earth community is treated and it really seems to be that the way they are treated by the mainstream culture plays a big factor in how they are able to grow.

We seem to be REALLY terrible at dealing with people who are, for whatever reason, outright denying scientific facts.

mcz117chief

To be honest I don't really "get" the whole Flat Earth thing.

They are kind of a cross between trolls and conspiracy theorists?

It always struck me that they know the whole thing CAN'T be true but they enjoy seeing how far they can run with it?

Like you could look at how our modern culture holds "science" up as this infallible thing.
However the truth is that science is more or less always a process of assuming something is true and then working towards an even better understanding that sometimes ends up proving that the old assumptions were entirely wrong.

It always seemed to me that Flat Earth is almost like a rebellion against science, or at least against the idea that today "facts" are set in stone.

However, when I look at it from the outside, I am kind of uncomfortable with how the Flat Earth community is treated and it really seems to be that the way they are treated by the mainstream culture plays a big factor in how they are able to grow.

We seem to be REALLY terrible at dealing with people who are, for whatever reason, outright denying scientific facts.
It could be the case that the higher-ups are trolling and scamming the ignorant for money.

Weilthain

Banned
It could be the case that the higher-ups are trolling and scamming the ignorant for money.
Mark Sargent is definitely scamming the ignorant. He is the modern Leo Ferrari in that his role is to keep people away from flat earth.

It totally works.
AeMcPcc.jpg

Saruhashi

Banned

Could be.

I was thinking more that people REALLY seem to enjoy this stuff and the big thing about "Flat Earth" is that it's not like being a 9/11 or Sandy Hook conspiracy guy. Those are serious events where people lost their lives and it's probably very distasteful to many people to be digging through such things. Flat Earth give you all of the community engagement and exciting conspiracy talk, alongside pretty cool amateur science and philosophy, without the death and destruction and disrespect part.

Flat Earth feels kind of safe but also kind of edgy.

Like I could imagine myself saying at a dinner party "actually I think the earth may well be flat" and get a kick out of how some of the people would react.

I think they do quite a good job of revealing they way that people hold up "science" as some kind of unshakable truth and how ugly things can get when you challenge it.

There is definitely a valid concern about scammers and the like basically taking advantage of vulnerable people though.
The documentary on Netflix (I think?) made it look like a lot of fun.

I think the whole thing is pretty interesting but I don't quite understand it all myself.

flat earth isn’t a pizza Earth floating through space.

No, I'm asking you to explain gravity under your paradigm. Gravity implies that massive objects tend to become roughly spherical due to collapsing under their own weight, whether that leads to planets or stars.

How does a massive flat surface naturally exist from particle agglomeration without collapsing into a sphere?

Weilthain

Banned
No, I'm asking you to explain gravity under your paradigm. Gravity implies that massive objects tend to become roughly spherical due to collapsing under their own weight, whether that leads to planets or stars.

How does a massive flat surface naturally exist from particle agglomeration without collapsing into a sphere?
Flat earth isn’t a pizza shape floating through space.

I don’t know. I keep demanding they put cameras on deep space rockets but they don’t! The Apollo footage seems to be the only “real” footage of earth from deep space.

Cgi cartoons and high altitude photography from “low earth orbit” is enough for most people.

Which Apollo footage are you talking about that shows a flat earth?

Weilthain

Banned
What if anything would it take to convince you otherwise?
There were two moon missions this year. No video cameras.

Stick some cameras on those rockets and film the weeks long journey that would be a great start.

Let’s at least be able to compare some footage of earth from space with something other than the totally not fake Apollo footage.

ManaByte

Stick some cameras on those rockets and film the weeks long journey that would be a great start.

Let’s at least be able to compare some footage of earth from space with something other than the totally not fake Apollo footage.

Are the Rovers on mars fake too? Clearly if we've made it to Mars, we've made it to the Moon.

Weilthain

Banned
What! So now there’s a giant ice barrier around earth? Fascinating.
How come we don’t have pictures of this giant ice wall? Should be a pretty simple thing to do , travel to the edge of the Earth and take a picture of it.
Some think there is an ice wall because of the Antarctic treaty.

Not everyone thinks the same thing and what these guys in the op video say is the fake comical flat earth

Fbh

An uncle of mine, who has always been into conspiracy theory stuff, started posting some flat earth stuff on social media and at some point I asked him about it.

He told me that he doesn't actually think the Earth is flat but that he likes the attitude of questioning things which are presented as facts. That in posting flat earth stuff he had come across people that were unable to explain why they knew the earth is round other than "it's known" and that he thinks this type of thinking and our over reliance on known "facts" is dangerous (quoting how at some point in history you would be made fun of for claiming the earth isn't the center of the universe).

Which I guess makes some sense, though it's unrelated to the crazy people in the video.

Weilthain

Banned
An uncle of mine, who has always been into conspiracy theory stuff, started posting some flat earth stuff on social media and at some point I asked him about it.

He told me that he doesn't actually think the Earth is flat but that he likes the attitude of questioning things which are presented as facts. That in posting flat earth stuff he had come across people that were unable to explain why they knew the earth is round other than "it's known" and that he thinks this type of thinking and our over reliance on known "facts" is dangerous (quoting how at some point in history you would be made fun of for claiming the earth isn't the center of the universe).

Which I guess makes some sense, though it's unrelated to the crazy people in the video.
This is a big part of it for me.

Some people clearly don’t know shit about what they actually believe in, let alone know anything about a genuine flat earthers beliefs.

DESTROYA

Maybe?

Space does apparently and you had no problem believing that when it was taught to you.
Well can’t you test that by traveling around earth at the equator? If the Earth was Flat you would go forever but round Earth you eventually come back to where you started. Not trying to make fun of you or anything just want to see what your theories are.

Top Bottom