• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Preview Embargo ending next week (Reddit Rumor)

Go_Ly_Dow

3777063-ffxvi.jpg

Two Italian reviewers have stated that an important game's embargo will expire at the end of the month, and have hinted that it is FFXVI (preview). Obviously do not take this information as 100% certain, we will find out in the coming days. To avoid NDA problems I will avoid specifying who they are.

Deleted Tweet:
oCe9noM.jpeg

In Dengeki this week, Yoshida also said more info would begin releasing roughly 3 months before the games launch on 22nd June, so I'd guess we'll see a dedicated State of Play and 1-2 more trailers by release.

Go_Ly_Dow

I just want them to confirm that there is a 60fps mode, since all the trailers up until now have been at 30.
Other than that, I don't need any more information, even though a demo with just the "first mission" (like FF7R) a month or two before the release wouldn't be too bad, I guess

Different teams/engine, but FF7 Remake PS5 achieved native 2160p locked 30fps for the graphics mode and 1512p and locked 60fps for the performance mode.

Something similar here would he great.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Since i haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere, Maehiro describes the combat as being inspired by the Final Fantasy V job system and I’m fucking psyched now:

Maehiro: Speaking of the theme of the underlying play, in fact, in addition to what I have talked about so far, there was also a concept of "Let's do "Final Fantasy V (hereinafter referred to as FF5)" with action".

――What! When you think of "FF5", the first thing that comes to mind is the job change system...?

Maehiro:
Rather than a job system, if you can imagine the part of ability customization. " In the end, you can remember all the abilities of FF5, but in the process, you will determine the priority of the job you want to raise, customize the ability, and solidify the role of the character.

――Speaking of customization of abilities, it's like "Magic Sword Two-Sword Style Midareuchi".

Maehiro:
That's it (laughs). Such a "Is there such a combination!" I wanted to be able to operate the surprising game nature in real time as an action game.

Takai: It is an image that incorporates that element based on a summoning beast instead of a job. In this era, game distribution by players is also popular, so if each distributor combines different actions, the viewers will also "Oh! I think it will be "Is there such a combination?" In this way, I was developing it to become a "game that makes a difference depending on the person who plays".

――So is the ability that is positioned as the ability of "FF5" to be freely replaced during the game?

Takai:
As the story progresses, the ability to attach it will increase, so you can change it freely according to it. Of course, "This is the right answer!" I'm losing it as much as possible, and it's in a form that can reflect the person's taste.

Maehiro: In fact, even if we are playing, the combinations are different for each staff member.

Takai: It's interestingly broken (laughs).

Synless

I just want them to confirm that there is a 60fps mode, since all the trailers up until now have been at 30.
Other than that, I don't need any more information, even though a demo with just the "first mission" (like FF7R) a month or two before the release wouldn't be too bad, I guess
There has been a demo for every mainline final fantasy game since FF7 on PS1. There will be a demo.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm too hyped for this game

rtUYvSV.gif

Lol Max has so many meme-able moments.

In Dengeki this week, Yoshida also said more info would begin releasing roughly 3 months before the games launch on 22nd June, so I'd guess we'll see a dedicated State of Play and 1-2 more trailers by release.

Yeah I would think a dedicated SoP would be the plan. Gonna want to get eyes on this as much as possible since it's the biggest PS5 exclusive releasing first half of this year. Though depending on the timing of their showcase, should it be real, they may just use that to run some kind of extended gameplay segment. Hell, they might do both. Either way, safe to say Sony will make sure people see this game before it launches.

Varteras

Gold Member
Wow, really? That's very early for a game dropping in June, isn't it? I guess they're pretty confident.

I mean honestly I put way more stock into review embargoes dropping early. I'm not sure why but for some reason preview embargoes started becoming a thing. At least being reported on. That was never a big deal and suddenly it was. Perhaps developers are more gun-shy now after some early previews made it clear that outlets were going to give it a rough review? So they are being much more controlled now? I'm not sure how "good" this is since I don't have much to go on for what a typical preview embargo time period is. Maybe someone a bit more knowledgeable could clue us in.

I remember triggering quite hard to some people in one of the FFXVI thread 😝. BUT. FFXIV fans swear THIS. IS. THE. ONE.

so...FFIX was my first final fantasy and blew my mind. it made appreciate videogames as and art form.

lets see if SE finally can redeem themselves and make a true, undeniable, and unanimous masterpiece.

Go_Ly_Dow

Wow, really? That's very early for a game dropping in June, isn't it? I guess they're pretty confident.
It makes sense. They've really shown very little of this game. A lot of the trailers have shown the same cutscene sequences and just flashes of gameplay. Many are curious to see more, although I don't want to really as I have confidence this will be a smash hit.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's a Preview not a Review so no not really.
And a Preview means nothing, games have had glowing Previews and then turn in a average score

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It's a Preview not a Review so no not really.

I know it's a preview and not a review. For reference, GoW Ragnarok first preview from Game Informer was September 6, two months prior to launch. HFW previews were late January, less than a month before launch. We're looking at ~3months prior to launch with FFXVI, assuming this rumor is true.

And a Preview means nothing, games have had glowing Previews and then turn in a average score

Hmmm any particular game you have in mind as example? Usually, previews for lackluster games are often reliably telling, although maybe not as direct or blunt as final reviews. Go check out Forspoken previews; the writing was on the wall with that one.

mortal

Gold Member
This is the first time in years that we've had a mainline FF entry have this smooth of a rollout from announcement to launch.
All that without years and years of radio silence, rumors, and speculation. Or years of having to extract tidbits via translated blurbs from exclusive interviews in Japanese gaming magazines.

It may never be like it was during the peak of the Squaresoft era, with mainline entries releasing within a year of each other.
Nevertheless, a much-appreciated improvement over previous marketing cycles. The effort put forth by Creative Business Unit 3 is admirable.

I'm even excited by the possibilities of FF17 because we won't have to wait another 6-7 years just for the teaser due to the production woes of the present entry.

Go_Ly_Dow

This is the first time in years that we've had a mainline FF entry have this smooth of a rollout from announcement to launch.
All that without years and years of radio silence, rumors, and speculation. Or years of having to extract tidbits via translated blurbs from exclusive interviews in Japanese gaming magazines.

It may never be like it was during the peak of the Squaresoft era, with mainline entries releasing within a year of each other.
Nevertheless, a much-appreciated improvement over previous marketing cycles. The effort put forth by Creative Business Unit 3 is admirable.

I'm even excited by the possibilities of FF17 because we won't have to wait another 6-7 years just for the teaser due to the production woes of the present entry.
I agree. FF looks to be in a much better place than it was during PS3 and early PS4 era.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Creative Business Unit 3 seems very efficient and with FFXVI they are not making same mistake as FFXIII and FFXV by focusing too much on graphics engine.

JeloSWE

I'm so used to 60 and 120 fps gaming now I'm not sure I would buy it with only a 30 fps mode. If that's the case, then it's going to be along and difficult wait for it to arrive on PC where it can be played properly.

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say this, but can I just say that I find the FFXVI “insiders” on Era to be incredibly irritating?

“News will be coming very, very soon!” Oh wow, no way. Very unexpected for a game coming out in less than 4 months.

Like stop pretending you actually have non-useless information that other people don’t have access to.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I don't know your background, but 👀
I'm a no-one, but know a few people in the industry. I know the press got to play the game for a few hours mid february.

I think the same happened to Forspoken and they then ended up releasing the demo later, who knows if that will be the case

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm a no-one, but know a few people in the industry. I know the press got to play the game for a few hours mid february.

I think the same happened to Forspoken and they then ended up releasing the demo later, who knows if that will be the case
Thanks, so bodes well these rumours of some press previews this week are legit. I wouldnt expect a public demo until late May or early June though.

FingerBang

Thanks, so bodes well these rumours of some press previews this week are legit. I wouldnt expect a public demo until late May or early June though.
Same. IF they release the demo, and they might since the press demo for Forspoken was then released to everyone, it won't happen before they're done with all the press events they're doing now. Probably a month or so before release

Coconutt

Gold Member
I haven't liked any of the mainline Final Fantasies since FFX, hoping this reaches those same heights, really rooting for this to be one of the good FF games

Top Bottom