• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI official screenshots + Blog Post

OsirisBlack

Banned
Final Fantasy peaked at 6 (though 4 is the best and 1 is iconic).

7, 8, and 10 were pretty good too.

As for 15, had massive issues and one of the worst cases of "Girl in the Refrigerator" I've ever seen.

After 15 being lackluster and Square having lost it's way so badly when it comes to this franchise, I'll wait a while before playing 16, like I should have done with 15 considering how much they added after release.
For the people that loathe XV I always ask "Did you actually explore the combat system or just hold circle?" The game isn't a masterpiece (My favorites are still Tactics/6/14) But what did you hate exactly? The only thing I actually hated about the game was the random ass summon system. Once I got the combat locked in (beyond just holding circle) the story was decent and the dlc's only made it better.

Sweet fucking jesus. I don't know where the fuck Square has been since the PS1 days, but this feels like they're fucking back in a big ass way, making the type of Final Fantasy game you have wanted, but they simply have not made in what feels like forever. This looks like it's getting the money and effort and overall planning deserving of a major franchise like Final Fantasy. I feel this game will put it back on the map in a bigger way. Very excited. I don't know how many of you have done it, but I encourage you to go to the website and read up on the underlying lore they've provided about the world and what's most important.

Fbh

Looks good but so did XV. Can’t get excited for FF no more after XIII which ultimately also disappointed.

This one at least looks better with each showing.
XV had one big bullshit reveal trailer and then kept getting worse.

It also helps that it's a new project they could build from the ground up instead of being a team tasked with reviving the corpse of a failed Nomura project. And it doesn't have Nomura attached which already significantly raises the chances of the plot not being trash.

Last edited:
Necessary reading folks.

The world is called Valisthea.

In the world the most powerful creatures are known as Eikons (these are the powerful summons basically) and the people who posses the power to wield one are known as dominants. Think of them like Naruto having the 9 tailed demon fox inside of him, and you'll pretty much have a damn good idea of where they're probably taking this stuff. There may even be a crazy ass ritual to forcefully remove one from a dominant, which probably kills them.

The game has 6 different realms.

The Grand Duchy of Rosaria
The Holy Empire of Sanbreque
The Dhalmekian Republic
The Iron Kingdom
The Crystalline Dominion
The Kingdom of Waloed

https://na.finalfantasyxvi.com/world/

q6YzA5m.png
eyi4CXt.png
4mjBhc7.png
rNBjosk.png
buN6Qwh.png

Auzd5fP.png

MznqqYT.png
0oN0eeV.png
C73JtNH.png

Sweet fucking jesus. I don't know where the fuck Square has been since the PS1 days, but this feels like they're fucking back in a big ass way, making the type of Final Fantasy game you have wanted, but they simply have not made in what feels like forever. This looks like it's getting the money and effort and overall planning deserving of a major franchise like Final Fantasy. I feel this game will put it back on the map in a bigger way. Very excited. I don't know how many of you have done it, but I encourage you to go to the website and read up on the underlying lore they've provided about the world and what's most important.
Those Final Fantasy XIV earnings finally being put to use!

Last edited:

Furball

I wonder if Jun Akiyama is on this project....I would assume he would be mentioned in the key staff list if he was tho..

I believe he is with Yoshida's team, and last thing he worked on was FF12 TZA.

if TZA was the last thing he worked on then he probably on Kitase Division , Dungeon Encounter Credit show majority of TZA staff still on Division 1 include Hiroyuki Ito .

If the FF9 Remake rumour turn out to be true then maybe he part of that team .

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Why am I getting ff12 vibes. Is it the art? The setting?

No matter what, me likey. I'm a bit done with the cybermagical dystopia worlds that have been featured lately.

Teslerum

Why am I getting ff12 vibes. Is it the art? The setting?

No matter what, me likey. I'm a bit done with the cybermagical dystopia worlds that have been featured lately.
I mean Minagawa is Art Director who was basically the Main Art Director for all the Ivalice series and while Maheiro never was the *big* guy (until the XIV reboot) he wrote on Tactics and Tactics Advance as well as Leading the Level Design in Vagrant Story and the Battle System in XII.

So, yeah. Not surprising. Both art and setting are made by long time veterans of the Ivalice setting. Would be weirder if it didn't remind you of 12.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I mean Minagawa is Art Director who was basically the Main Art Director for all the Ivalice series and while Maheiro never was the *big* guy (until the XIV reboot) he wrote on Tactics and Tactics Advance as well as Leading the Level Design in Vagrant Story and the Battle System in XII.

So, yeah. Not surprising. Both art and setting are made by long time veterans of the Ivalice setting. Would be weirder if it didn't remind you of 12.

Oh, there it is! Nice knowledge of the inside workings of squeenix sir!

Hype level +10, I really liked Ivalice and the games set there (the ones I got to play, which aren't all sadly).

Necessary reading folks.

The world is called Valisthea.

In the world the most powerful creatures are known as Eikons (these are the powerful summons basically) and the people who posses the power to wield one are known as dominants. Think of them like Naruto having the 9 tailed demon fox inside of him, and you'll pretty much have a damn good idea of where they're probably taking this stuff. There may even be a crazy ass ritual to forcefully remove one from a dominant, which probably kills them.

The game has 6 different realms.

The Grand Duchy of Rosaria
The Holy Empire of Sanbreque
The Dhalmekian Republic
The Iron Kingdom
The Crystalline Dominion
The Kingdom of Waloed

https://na.finalfantasyxvi.com/world/

q6YzA5m.png
eyi4CXt.png
4mjBhc7.png
rNBjosk.png
buN6Qwh.png

Auzd5fP.png

MznqqYT.png
0oN0eeV.png
C73JtNH.png
giphy.webp

Manji Uzuki

It sucks that we need to wait another year but holy shit the game is looking good and the visuals have insanely improved since the first trailer.

Also I'm totally ok going the character action route knowing that DMC5 battle designer is working on this

Dynasty8

For the people that loathe XV I always ask "Did you actually explore the combat system or just hold circle?" The game isn't a masterpiece (My favorites are still Tactics/6/14) But what did you hate exactly? The only thing I actually hated about the game was the random ass summon system. Once I got the combat locked in (beyond just holding circle) the story was decent and the dlc's only made it better.

I hated it a lot. I actually gave it a second playthrough once all the character DLCs were out as well. The combat was definitely one aspect that felt honestly braindead easy. You can also just spam items left and right. Summons were random and automatic wins. The gameplay itself felt clunky. But again, that was just one aspect.

The awkward story skips without explaining what happens between some of the chapters were very odd too. The story was disjointed and the character DLCs should have been a part of the main game...instead it was pay for these 2 hour quests to find out more about this character.

The world design had potential, but it felt limited. The other 2 continents should have also been more explorable and had more going for them instead of the rushed linear quests we got. The whole game was a giant disjointed mess, but it makes sense since Nomura was behind it.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

The story and setting. Mostly the story. Dead girlfriend syndrome aside, the fact that you had to watch a movie before hand to even get the whole of the plot.

I hear they fixed a lot of stuff with later patches etc but Id already beat it, not goign to go back to find the new story fluff they added to make the story somehow better.

As for combat system, could not care less. Franchise never should have moved out of turn base combat IMO. If I wanted to play a flashy combat game I'll go play Devil May Cry.

Wait just a minute!!! Is that character with the scar/tattoo on his face switching between multiple Eikon powers mid combat!? Basically he's a grown up Clive, so a timeskip takes place during this game. Around level 12 you still appear to be young clive, but as you get to somewhere around level 18 or so, you now appear all grown up, have a strange tattoo on your face, and you now possess the ability to use the abilities of different eikons. The character description points out Clive is somehow blessed with the ability to use part of the Phoenix's fire despite his younger brother Joshua being the dominant for the Phoenix Eikon. As such, he appears to gain the ability to use the powers of numerous other eikons also.

That massive war seems to be a huge sequence/setpiece at the early sections of the game, giving you a taste of the full power of the eikons and more powerful dominants by the appearances of things.

Upper left you see what eikons Clive is using, lower right, where the circle button would be on that command wheel you spot eikon specific abilities.

zZ10bAv.png
u8UqXxA.png
7CPveVf.png
WKpc0Kz.png
oYjp2D4.png
2sodxWb.png
dyzI9zV.png
9vZpunA.png
yyUq3IS.png
Wv63Eqz.png
13IWDUe.png
nK8oGEM.png

In the trailer he appears to say "I unite the dominants ...that we may bring an end to the strife..."

I'm also getting some strong attack on titan vibes from this one as well.

Also, based on the trailer, it's possible that specific eikon's may not yet have a dominant or human host? Either that or they simply haven't shown us who their hosts are yet, but in the last trailer we saw

Phoenix is Joshua, Clive's younger brother.

v5mqvap.png
BRKls4u.png

Titan is Hugo.

Ug0PDsY.png

WxoxzCM.png

Garuda is Benedikta

wWvKHAu.png
nylakbc.png

Ramuh = unknown

dYrQGMt.png

Shiva = unknown (trailers confirm there is a dominant for shiva)

eYnGH45.png

Odin = unknown

rb2GkwM.png

Bahamut = unknown

10LFeH4.png

Ifrit = unknown

11IKCWr.png

As you can tell, I'm super excited about this game.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Wait just a minute!!! Is that character with the scar/tattoo on his face switching between multiple Eikon powers mid combat!? Basically he's a grown up Clive, so a timeskip takes place during this game. Around level 12 you still appear to be young clive, but as you get to somewhere around level 18 or so, you now appear all grown up, have a strange tattoo on your face, and you now possess the ability to use the abilities of different eikons. The character description points out Clive is somehow blessed with the ability to use part of the Phoenix's fire despite his younger brother Joshua being the dominant for the Phoenix Eikon. As such, he appears to gain the ability to use the powers of numerous other eikons also.

That massive war seems to be a huge sequence/setpiece at the early sections of the game, giving you a taste of the full power of the eikons and more powerful dominants by the appearances of things.

Upper left you see what eikons Clive is using, lower right, where the circle button would be on that command wheel you spot eikon specific abilities.

zZ10bAv.png
u8UqXxA.png
7CPveVf.png
WKpc0Kz.png
oYjp2D4.png
2sodxWb.png
dyzI9zV.png
9vZpunA.png
yyUq3IS.png
Wv63Eqz.png
13IWDUe.png
nK8oGEM.png

In the trailer he appears to say "I unite the dominants ...that we may bring an end to the strife..."

I'm also getting some strong attack on titan vibes from this one as well.

Also, based on the trailer, it's possible that specific eikon's may not yet have a dominant or human host? Either that or they simply haven't shown us who their hosts are yet, but in the last trailer we saw

Phoenix is Joshua, Clive's younger brother.

v5mqvap.png
BRKls4u.png

Titan is Hugo.

Ug0PDsY.png

WxoxzCM.png

Garuda is Benedikta

wWvKHAu.png
nylakbc.png

Ramuh = unknown

dYrQGMt.png

Shiva = unknown (trailers confirm there is a dominant for shiva)

eYnGH45.png

Odin = unknown

rb2GkwM.png

Bahamut = unknown

10LFeH4.png

Ifrit = unknown

11IKCWr.png

As you can tell, I'm super excited about this game.
I am just as excited

Clive seems to be Ifrit (almost 100% on this one) which is why every time you see him fighting another Eikon its Ifrit vs that Eikon in the trailer.
I believe jill is Shiva. I have my reasons I also believe she dies early on, this game is giving me a heavy final fantasy tactics vibe story-wise.
The King of Sanbreque would get my vote for Ramuh. Either him or the guy in the chair next to him, the one that seems to be very dismissive of the entire dire situation being addressed in the throne room. Him being a Dominant would explain that attitude and hubris.
No clue at all about Odin and Bahamut. If you pay close attention when ifrit fires off that fireball at the huge rock creature it's not Titan, so there may be other Eikons as well.

I am just as excited

Clive seems to be Ifrit (almost 100% on this one) which is why every time you see him fighting another Eikon its Ifrit vs that Eikon in the trailer.
I believe jill is Shiva. I have my reasons I also believe she dies early on, this game is giving me a heavy final fantasy tactics vibe story-wise.
The King of Sanbreque would get my vote for Ramuh. Either him or the guy in the chair next to him, the one that seems to be very dismissive of the entire dire situation being addressed in the throne room. Him being a Dominant would explain that attitude and hubris.
No clue at all about Odin and Bahamut. If you pay close attention when ifrit fires off that fireball at the huge rock creature it's not Titan, so there may be other Eikons as well.

This is legitimately now my most anticipated PS5 title, hands down. It's taking me back to my elementary and middle school days when I use to be excited for that monthly gamepro magazine to show up and games like final fantasy tactics 7, 8, 9 etc were just massive events for me.

It's making me wonder if Ifrit overwhelms Clive's body and somehow potentially ends up killing other dominants, possibly even harming his brother too.

Myths

KsE3akY.jpg

yea NOPE.

Also this is the Eikon with no name.

Jc28Z3W.jpg

its symbol is different than Titans which can be seen when Clive does Upheaval.

5K6vana.jpg

Two Eikons per element for some? Ifrit and Phoenix both fire.
It’ll be one of those nuanced story related things where something becomes the exception to the rule.

Go_Ly_Dow

This is legitimately now my most anticipated PS5 title, hands down. It's taking me back to my elementary and middle school days when I use to be excited for that monthly gamepro magazine to show up and games like final fantasy tactics 7, 8, 9 etc were just massive events for me.
It's making me wonder if Ifrit overwhelms Clive's body and somehow potentially ends up killing other dominants, possibly even harming his brother too.
Same.

Last edited:

Heylon

The lighting in this game looks kinda flat, tbh. It really shows that no matter how detailed your textures are, or how complex the geometry is, without next-gen lighting it’s gonna look like a last-gen game. This desperately needs something like Lumen (this is true for a lot of current-gen games, honestly).
Agree. The flat character models in particular stand out a lot due to this exact problem. Everything else looks lit, though.

Jinzo Prime

“Dominants” we can skip the fancy nomenclature… they’re damn Summoners that… summon… Summons.
At least its not fake French: l'cie, fal'cie, cie'tch, made FF13 hard to follow sometimes, but English derived terms are a lot easier to parse.

Top Bottom