• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI official screenshots + Blog Post

Esca

I have really high hopes for this game because of YoshiP. What he did with FF14 is great, I played that game for a few years. Still lots of questions but they'll get answered over time before the game comes out

OsirisBlack

Banned
So is this using the FF14 engine and recycling assets? It looks like they just took 14 and dialed up the environment and character detail a bit with the resources saved from not having to render several dozens or hundreds of MMO player characters on screen at once.
You do know that the FFXIV engine is a mix of Luminous and Crystal tools correct? You know the same Luminous that they used for XV and Forspoken. Edited to add, they're turning up the graphics a bit on FFXIV in patch 7.0 Yoshi P as usual stated to not go crazy with expectations it wont look like Forbidden west but it will be a significant upgrade.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You do know that the FFXIV engine is a mix of Luminous and Crystal tools correct? You know the same Luminous that they used for XV and Forspoken. Edited to add, they're turning up the graphics a bit on FFXIV in patch 7.0 Yoshi P as usual stated to not go crazy with expectations it wont look like Forbidden west but it will be a significant upgrade.
I personally dont care about "high tech graphics", from the trailer I'm loving the art direction and thats all that matters to me, in fact I hope they dont do the same mistake as FFXV by focusing too much on graphics and engine, I rather see them focus more on the actual gameplay.

Kumomeme

I'm certainly expecting more than FF XV, that's for sure

But I'm not expecting a fully explorable city.

In one of the released screenshots, where the main character is looking at the city from far away, you can see that the crystal is a .png image.

It's not being rendered in real time. Which means that you wont be able to reach the city without getting a load screen that'll swap that .png image for an asset made with geometry.

I expect to be able to explore a small, closed chunk of that city

Again, I compared it to FF XV because they teased Altissia but delivered 5 houses to explore in total there in the final game

Suret, FF XV development was a mess. But even in FF VII Remake, the FF that probably had the most talented staff at SE and huge budget, still delivered small pieces of Midgard to visit

I'm playing Forbidden West right now, and so far I haven't seen anything as big as Novigrad from The Witcher, for example. And the city here seems even bigger than Novigrad.

I don't expect Square to deliver a fully explorable city

Yeah I expect something like FF XII, but that would be such a dated design choice, imo

Since then we had so many huge open world games with big cities. Going back to loading screens for entering/leaving small hubs would be a bad look.
no need full scale explorable city. atleast the size is big enough for the purpose with some of area only visible from far but not explorable due to 'invisible wall'.

they already did this with FF14's city and it is good example to follow. we even get same developers developing the game.

example from the game-

city of Ul'dah:

Ishgard:

Kugane:

Old Sharlayan:

as you can see, lot of stuff in the background like super huge building at Kugane or the mountain with houses at Old Sharlayan is not explorable but aside that, the explorable part is big enough and better than Altissa.

compared to FFXV developers, thanks to the nature of FF14 being a MMORPG, CBU3 already has experienced developing cities and big open world exploration zones. each expansion also took around 2 years of development while FFXVI should have atleast twice time of that. for A Realm Reborn and Heavensward for example, the devs even need to develop and designed the city based on PS3 cpu and memory limitation. since Stormblood where they dropped PS3 support, the game also end up has less loading instance between area in cities and has more bigger open area instead. FFXVI on otherhand developing solely for PS5 with stronger hardware and SSD paired with years of their knowledge of developing MMO.

not suprise if they follow same approach as how they design cities/town with FF14 which is, already plenty enough.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

no need full scale explorable city. atleast the size is big enough for the purpose with some of area only visible from far but not explorable due to 'invisible wall'.

they already did this with FF14's city and it is good example to follow. we even get same developers developing the game.

example from the game-

city of Ul'dah:

Ishgard:

Kugane:

Old Sharlayan:

as you can see, lot of stuff in the background like super huge building at Kugane or the mountain with houses at Old Sharlayan is not explorable but aside that, the explorable part is big enough and better than Altissa.

compared to FFXV developers, thanks to the nature of FF14 being a MMORPG, CBU3 already has experienced developing cities and big open world exploration zones. each expansion also took around 2 years of development while FFXVI should have atleast twice time of that. for A Realm Reborn and Heavensward for example, the devs even need to develop and designed the city based on PS3 cpu and memory limitation. since Stormblood where they dropped PS3 support, the game also end up has less loading instance between area in cities and has more bigger open area instead. FFXVI developing solely for PS5 and surely they gonna take advantages of the stronger hardware and SSD tech paired with years of their knowledge of developing MMO.

not suprise if they follow same approach as how they design cities/town with FF14.

I was thinking the same. Kugane or Old Sharlayan scaled up a bit or the same size, but with more entrances is more than enough. Sanbreque looks to have a Lower, Middle, Higher quarter chain and they can break that up into zones even.

Kumomeme

I was thinking the same. Kugane or Old Sharlayan scaled up a bit or the same size, but with more entrances is more than enough. Sanbreque looks to have a Lower, Middle, Higher quarter chain and they can break that up into zones even.
yep. im actually fine if they scaled down abit since the game is single player RPG, they no need to make the cities that big like in FF14. the problem with FF14 cities is sometimes the area is too big and there lot of unused space for example Crystarium. with PS5's SSD they even no need to break the whole city into loading zones like how they did with Ishgard. just one big area like Old Sharlean, Kugane or even Radz-At- Han.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

yep. im actually fine if they scaled down abit since the game is single player RPG, they no need to make the cities that big like in FF14. the problem with FF14 cities is sometimes the area is too big and there lot of unused space for example Crystarium. with PS5's SSD they even no need to break the whole city into loading zones like how they did with Ishgard. just one big area like Old Sharlean, Kugane or even Rad-At- Han.
Partially an MMO problem, too, I think. They can't add random events or mini games so easily like that (especially since they exist in the Gold Saucer) so a Single Player RPG has a lot of leeway and they can even add a lot more verticality and make use of the 3D Space.
Radz-At-Han does a great job at making it feel lively despite it being the smaller city.

Kumomeme

Partially an MMO problem, too, I think. They can't add random events or mini games so easily like that (especially since they exist in the Gold Saucer) so a Single Player RPG has a lot of leeway and they can even add a lot more verticality and make use of the 3D Space.
Radz-At-Han does a great job at making it feel lively despite it being the smaller city.
yes. there supposed to be less restriction for developers compared to when developing MMO. if i not mistaken the game designed for each zone to be able to handle over 200 players at same time. this also might explained why the game big open world area is separated by zones instead of connected seamlessly. for single player game like FFXVI they no need to bother with all this.

Last edited:

gela94

Looks pretty promising but so did FF15, it also would be an absolute bummer for me if there is no party at all.

Teslerum

Looks pretty promising but so did FF15, it also would be an absolute bummer for me if there is no party at all.
From what we can gather (descriptions and gameplay) there may very much be a party and at least Clive's brother, Kupka and Harman seem to be part of it. Their just lending their power more than anything and of course probably take part in Eikon battles.

Of course, speculation and somebody may correct me immediately.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

example from the game-

city of Ul'dah:

Ishgard:

Kugane:

Old Sharlayan:

compared to FFXV developers, thanks to the nature of FF14 being a MMORPG, CBU3 already has experienced developing cities and big open world exploration zones. each expansion also took around 2 years of development while FFXVI should have atleast twice time of that. for A Realm Reborn and Heavensward for example, the devs even need to develop and designed the city based on PS3 cpu and memory limitation. since Stormblood where they dropped PS3 support, the game also end up has less loading instance between area in cities and has more bigger open area instead. FFXVI developing solely for PS5 with stronger hardware and SSD paired with years of their knowledge of developing MMO.

not suprise if they follow same approach as how they design cities/town with FF14 which is, already plenty enough.

more important than how big or small they are, is what is their to do in the city? is it fun to explore, does it have side quests, interesting NPCs, mini games, shops with sweet new gear (i love this feeling in an FF), maybe a city introduces new characters or new game mechanics, or perhaps a new vehicle like an airship or boat, etc...?

also, i want small towns and villages along the way. at least a few. places that are very small and quaint. but still have stuff to do in them!! thats the important part. not how big it is or how shiny the graphics are. and thats where square really struggles, actual fun, immersive gameplay and interesting stuff to do. thats what they need to focus on.

Brigandier

You obviously didn’t play XIII-2 or LR because those weren’t linear at all.

XIII-2 is overall a pretty linear game and I played about 3 hours of LR to be fair it was absolutely fucking abysmal just like your post history.

Ugh could you make your point without sounding like a 12-year-old?

The only person who sounds like a 12 year old is yourself arguing and being a confrontational 🤡 🤡

Kumomeme

more important than how big or small they are, is what is their to do in the city? is it fun to explore, does it have side quests, interesting NPCs, mini games, shops with sweet new gear (i love this feeling in an FF), maybe a city introduces new characters or new game mechanics, or perhaps a new vehicle like an airship or boat, etc...?

also, i want small towns and villages along the way. at least a few. places that are very small and quaint. but still have stuff to do in them!! thats the important part. not how big it is or how shiny the graphics are. and thats where square really struggles, actual fun, immersive gameplay and interesting stuff to do. thats what they need to focus on.
so far i can say FF14 town is fun to explore. some of it is too big and can end up easily get lost. the atmosphere also great paired with city music. tons of NPC and each city also has common shop like inn, item, armour, weapon not counting tons of job guild. but there is different area for end game content gear for each expansion. outside of big cities there is town with its own shop npc too. there is variety of location so it is depend how its looks. for minigames it usually being done in Gold Saucer. but there still mini game like jumping puzzle for sightseeing achievement inside the cities. major city in base game also has stage for each seasonal event and usually those event took player either accross of town or even outside of city to complete. the game is quest driven pretty much like modern rpg out there which is tons of side quest available aside of main storyline quest not counting specific job quest. each job has their own storyline. overall think of the game and story progression is quest driven like Xenoblade Chronicles. pretty similliar. there gonna be tons of quest marker on map. we dont know which direction they gonna took for FF16 but probably closest look we can guess is how they handle FF14. im not suprise if this is how they did it.

Last edited:

Furball

FF14 Main city pretty big but barren wasteland fill with nothing and waste of time to run around for mains story quest . Especially those expansion city, they serve no purpose than just being big for u to run from point A to B compare to first 3 starter which atleast has alot of job guild . At first it look nice and all but after play the game for awhile it pretty tedious , i dont really want big town or city unless u has good travel option

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
The fact that the world map they’ve revealed seems to encompass the whole planet is interesting. FF12, 13 and 15 didn’t have maps for the entire world, only for the continent(s) where the story took place. This gives me hope that the whole world in FF16 is traversable, maybe even with an airship. That would be the first time in… when was the last time a FF had a controllable airship? FF9? (Though I guess the flying car from FF15 was nice.)

Was it 2 years? Didn't epic terribly port it to PC just one year later
Edit
I looked it up, 1 year 8 months. I wouldn't consider that way longer, bud. And were you asking a question, lol?
Go look at my reply, you added the ? lmao. It has been almost 2 years and still no announcement for any other consoles. That’s a long time

hussar16

hahaha lol. i wish FF14 engine and asset is half of this good. but nope. particularly asset in 14 is nowhere close to this. not even a bit.

s8cKtFT.png
Art style is the same tho .it's very ugly

Ugh…the art style is very poor. Reminds me of Final Fantasy XIII and that “Lightning Returns” garbage from the 360/PS3 era. Hopefully gameplay makes up for it…

…then again, there’s a reason Lost Odyssey was the best JRPG of that era…

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

None of the lead developers of this game have ever really missed in their entire careers, and most of their games have had multiple party members or playable characters so I'm not too worried about that aspect quite yet. I have this feeling that Yoshi-P is holding something back, as the man seems to be pretty skilled at building hype for his games. Also, while I'm not the biggest fan of the character design we have seen so far, the only excellent character designer left at Square is Nomura, but he would also want to be involved with direction and story, and that the last thing this game needs!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
By the way since this is kinda the FFXVI general at this point, I feel like one thing people forgot, is that this game is tailor made for the English language:

I reckon we'll have another case like FFXII and FFXIV where English is the preferable version to Japanese to many players.

Only if Sakagoooochi and Uematsu work on it again.

Sakaguchi is too busy playing FFXIV. Shit is half his twitter feed.

lefty1117

Gold Member
what about FF13 / FF7Remake style combat ... pseudo turn based yet actiony ... may I have that pls ... for me FF13 was the pinnacle even if the game itself was meh ... please may we have FF13 combat sir

Furball

None of the lead developers of this game have ever really missed in their entire careers, and most of their games have had multiple party members or playable characters so I'm not too worried about that aspect quite yet. I have this feeling that Yoshi-P is holding something back, as the man seems to be pretty skilled at building hype for his games. Also, while I'm not the biggest fan of the character design we have seen so far, the only excellent character designer left at Square is Nomura, but he would also want to be involved with direction and story, and that the last thing this game needs!

The last remnant has so many questionable design choice .

FF14 also has bad stuff that not well recive like Blue mage , Diadem , Stormblood story... Yeah right never miss

They clearly miss alot . I am sorry but they are not some flawless Idol like all of you make out to be . Even legendary dev like Sakaguchi , Hiroyuki Ito , Takashi Tokita , tesuya Takahashi ,Kitase ..... all has miss in their carreer

Last edited:

I hate statements like this. Horizon Forbidden West looks good, and what it does visually works for its own art style, game design and world, but I don't think people put nearly enough respect on a game's individual identity, it's art direction, style and gameplay design, and how with a combination of those things it can come away even more impressive than games that at a glance appear to be more impressive looking. Horizon Forbidden West is the game that's likely to have the more advanced technical accomplishments, but I already feel this game looks better than Horizon Forbidden West. Maybe it's just because I prefer the style.

sigmaZ

Visually pretty but not a giant leap from the previous FF entry.

Looks barren as hell though. Where's all the life/people/fauna?
Yeah. Same with FF14. I think Monolith Soft does a much better job in this regard. They are able to make environments look full on lower quality hardwear. Here they just use simple high resolution textures on a barren map with lots of lighting to spruce things up. Looks like an upgrade FF14 engine.

sigmaZ

For the people that loathe XV I always ask "Did you actually explore the combat system or just hold circle?" The game isn't a masterpiece (My favorites are still Tactics/6/14) But what did you hate exactly? The only thing I actually hated about the game was the random ass summon system. Once I got the combat locked in (beyond just holding circle) the story was decent and the dlc's only made it better.
It feels unfinished in many places. Constant boring unrewarding trekking with nothing of interest to find. The battle system was ok, but felt extremely unresponsive and sluggish compared to say FF7R.
I tried to play the DLC I missed last year, but the controls put off so much that I just noped out.

Top Bottom