• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Reportedly Overhauling How It Makes Games

Draugoth

Gold Member
FFXVI_DecemberKeyArt_SEWebsite_GamesIndex_Carousel_Landscape_AlternateLogoPositioning-mlsalib2c.jpg
According to Bloomberg, Square Enix director and president Takashi Kiryu told analysts this week that the company’s new structure will be announced by spring 2024 and put in place in time for the start of April, and aims to improve the quality of the company’s games.

In its financial results for the nine months ending December 2023, Square Enix's sales were essentially flat, with sales from its digital entertainment business actually down 4.7%. This is a somewhat surprising result given the release of Final Fantasy 16 in June.

via IGN

If it rhymes with "Using AI for ________" Then FF 16 will be the last Square Enix game I will play.

If it's not, then I look forward to the next game.

Hopefully a new Dragon Quest game, or ANYTHING Parasite Eve.

Fabieter

1) Stop accepting moneyhats to launch games exclusively on various platforms, be it Playstation, Xbox, Switch or EGS.

Thank you I'll accept my consultancy fee for helping you improve your game sales.

It would be easily fixed if that was the only reason their games bomb. Alot of them were on multiple platforms but still underperformed greatly.

Go_Ly_Dow

For those that have been following this, they're essentially reigning in the number of low/mid-budget games they produce and funelling those resources into making higher budget and more resourced AAA games whilst also increasing the budgets for the fewer mid-tier games they do produce.

I'm guessing they see games like Octopath, Star Ocean Second Story R as a success (very good critical reception and probably decent sales), whilst seeing stuff like Forspoken as a failure with poor critical reception and sales.

Square for its faults is on a much better path than before, they've already outputted a lot of good games this gen. Rebirth next, then KH4, DQ12 and plenty more etc...

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Yeah I call bullshit..they are lost, don't know what they're doing anymore. Corporatism killed all passion and soul left from the company a long time ago.

Skifi28

So as long as there are proper checks and balances to the work AI develops by the devs, I am not against it.
AI tools to speed things up are great, replacing developers and full art departments is probably not. I'd like to remain positive, but Square does not have a history of making the best decisions.

Doom85

Thankfully 16 wasn't that, they seemed to get the message with 15.

What we need is more serious, "anti-anime", western sensibility-focused FF games like 16.

Get the message? The message was to make a finished game, but then for some reason they thought we also wanted the RPG elements to be totally superficial. So no, 16 was still half-assed, just in a different way from 15.

Also, LOL, “anti-anime”. Revenge-obsessed lead, kaiju battles, 16 was anime as fuck.

And no, I don’t need all these games to get overly serious. Sometimes that can be good, but plenty of times it fails in the writing department and you get some edgelord garbage. And honestly, Clive was pretty mid as a lead (and his story was just an inferior ripoff of Velvet’s story from Tales of Berseria), and Jill sucked shit. Cid carried 16 hard, and then the game decided to flush his character down the toilet. Not to mention bad and rushed worldbuilding, like a poor man’s Game of Thrones.

Despite only adapting 15% of the original game, Final Fantasy VII Remake was a proper RPG and felt more complete and fully realized than the last two main FF entries. And Rebirth looks to take it to the next level. That’s the magic they need to recapture for the main entries again. Hell, even if one doesn’t like Nomura’s writing, his combat beats the daylight out of 16’s Bud Light version of Devil May Cry, and whatever the fuck 15 was doing with its combat (god, that magic system was the worst).

tmlDan

this is great, i've said this before, but they have some great foundational ideas for games but the execution is very poor on non-FF and some FF games.

It's crazy that a remake (Rebirth) might be their most advanced, complex game yet. That should be the quality bar they hold themselves to.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I don’t follow them very closely, but, why the fuck are there so many Final Fantasy 7 games? Who is playing this shit?

Get the message? The message was to make a finished game, but then for some reason they thought we also wanted the RPG elements to be totally superficial. So no, 16 was still half-assed, just in a different way from 15.

Also, LOL, “anti-anime”. Revenge-obsessed lead, kaiju battles, 16 was anime as fuck.

And no, I don’t need all these games to get overly serious. Sometimes that can be good, but plenty of times it fails in the writing department and you get some edgelord garbage. And honestly, Clive was pretty mid as a lead (and his story was just an inferior ripoff of Velvet’s story from Tales of Berseria), and Jill sucked shit. Cid carried 16 hard, and then the game decided to flush his character down the toilet. Not to mention bad and rushed worldbuilding, like a poor man’s Game of Thrones.

Despite only adapting 15% of the original game, Final Fantasy VII Remake was a proper RPG and felt more complete and fully realized than the last two main FF entries. And Rebirth looks to take it to the next level. That’s the magic they need to recapture for the main entries again. Hell, even if one doesn’t like Nomura’s writing, his combat beats the daylight out of 16’s Bud Light version of Devil May Cry, and whatever the fuck 15 was doing with its combat (god, that magic system was the worst).
None of the Final Fantasy games have been RPGs, 16 was better for it that they finally stopping pretending. It was a fantastic third person narrative action game, if they keep similar combat and similar tone going forward they'll only do well.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It’s not rocket science what they need to do to improve a game like FF16 before release. Most notable:

-Fix pacing in a few parts
-Get a better 60fps mode
-Better side quests (variety, npc dialogue fleshed out, rewards)
-A reason to explore the world (see Granblue fantasy relink)
-Difficulty options from the start for those who want to be challenged
-More armor skins/costumes for customization

I assure you this could all be accomplished within 6 months time.

PanzerCute

Is this an answer to FFXVI?

Probably was not a good route for the company.
I think it is more about the absolute failure of Forspoken, and the bazillion AA games they released with no budget and no marketing, and even no sense in terms of release date (they ended up competing against each other)

Their strategy has been absolute nonsense for years now, and it's a shame cause they released some very, very good games that no one played or sometimes even heard of.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
They put Luminous Studios and Tokyo RPG factory out of their misery, that’s a start.

Now they’re going to put all their effort into mobile gacha games

Gambit2483

Their strategy has been absolute nonsense for years now, and it's a shame cause they released some very, very good games that no one played or sometimes even heard of.

Yeah, that 2021/2022 release schedule was insane. They had good games but holy crap they screwed themselves over by clumping many of their releases together and barely marketing any of them.

Fabieter

Maybe they will learn and make great AA games again? Probably not.

Course they could make RPGs with systems that aren't bullshit.

I think games like diofield chronicles are really solid first entrys in a new franchise but people didn't buy the game anyway.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think games like diofield chronicles are really solid first entrys in a new franchise but people didn't buy the game anyway.
Tactics games are rather niche(maybe BG3 will change that perception). I think Square's problem is lack of talent(most are gone) and the overreliance on name brand over great value. Plus some really bad decisions in their big games in their game design making them a hassle to play.

XVI sold a whole bunch off of name brand and for better or worse ranged from mediocre to just ok as opposed to indie RPGs being better games(debatable) or the recent release of Relink that people are either Granblue fans or they got hooked by the fun gameplay loop.

Pretty telling when the last good selling RPG from Square is the revenue from FFXIV in terms of scale.

You got some great games like Octopath and Star Ocean but their big costs on FF hurt them more then help them. And then they undercut on stuff like Harvestella and Valkyrie Profile and they suffer for it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've been really happy with their B-tier games like Octopath Traveler 2 and the like, so... I'm not exactly upset about their output these days. I just hope that whatever this plan is, it's not to try pandering harder to Western audiences like they did during the 360-era. What an awful time that was for JRPGs.

hyperbertha

It’s not rocket science what they need to do to improve a game like FF16 before release. Most notable:

-Fix pacing in a few parts
-Get a better 60fps mode
-Better side quests (variety, npc dialogue fleshed out, rewards)
-A reason to explore the world (see Granblue fantasy relink)
-Difficulty options from the start for those who want to be challenged
-More armor skins/costumes for customization

I assure you this could all be accomplished within 6 months time.
- more gameplay depth
- no QuickTime events
- an actually good story worthy of ff, not Hollywood trash

Go_Ly_Dow

FF16 was so disappointing it's insane. Yoshi-P is a fraud lmao.
A bit of a ridiculous take. The man spearheaded one of the greatest turnaround stories in the industry. He's a very passionate old school developer. Listen to his post mortem discussion with Yoshida from Sony and then say he's a fraud. 😴

As for XVI the game has largely received great critical and fan reception, we use data to draw these conclusions such as metacritic rather than enthusist forums where people have very strong opinions outside of the norm. Whether or not the end product was to your tastes, you can't deny there was a lot of quality there even if it's not the perfect game.

Terms like fraud should be saved for the worst of the industry, not devs that labour away for fans like Yoshida.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Tactics games are rather niche(maybe BG3 will change that perception). I think Square's problem is lack of talent(most are gone) and the overreliance on name brand over great value. Plus some really bad decisions in their big games in their game design making them a hassle to play.

XVI sold a whole bunch off of name brand and for better or worse ranged from mediocre to just ok as opposed to indie RPGs being better games(debatable) or the recent release of Relink that people are either Granblue fans or they got hooked by the fun gameplay loop.

Pretty telling when the last good selling RPG from Square is the revenue from FFXIV in terms of scale.

You got some great games like Octopath and Star Ocean but their big costs on FF hurt them more then help them. And then they undercut on stuff like Harvestella and Valkyrie Profile and they suffer for it.

Pretty sure their aaa games aint the problem. All of those made plenty of money but the ammount of smallish games hurt them in general even through good ones. They also weren't happy with the sales of octopath 2 and it was basically a multiplatform release unlike the first one.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Pretty sure their aaa games aint the problem. All of those made plenty of money but the ammount of smallish games hurt them in general even through good ones. They also weren't happy with the sales of octopath 2 and it was basically a multiplatform release unlike the first one.
Nah I think Forspoken tanked them pretty hard. And they spent stupid money on that. And the stagnation of their mainline Final Fantasy games aren't helping a whole lot.

Nydius

If it rhymes with "Using AI for ________" Then FF 16 will be the last Square Enix game I will play.

I get the concerns people have about AI, I truly do. But like it or not, it’s here and it’s going to be used. I’d rather a company be transparent about using it (and preferably transparent about how they’re using it) than being surreptitious behind the scenes and getting caught using it after-the-fact.

danklord

Gold Member
According to wiki this was their 2023 output:

• Forspoken
  • Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
  • Octopath Traveler II
  • Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo
  • Square Enix AI Tech Preview: The Portopia Serial Murder Case
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Ketsugou Danshi: Elements with Emotions
  • Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai – Infinity Strash
  • Star Ocean: The Second Story R
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince
  • Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis

I see two hits, one big commercial miss, and a bunch of stuff that only small audiences care about. Something needs to change.

I really liked FF16 too.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
- more gameplay depth
- no QuickTime events
- an actually good story worthy of ff, not Hollywood trash
Story was great.

QTE is such a non issue.

The combat is fantastic— to achieve depth would be via making the game more difficult which is what I requested. Then you’d have to care about which eikons you’re using, their abilities, and be mindful of what enemies do.

The issue with most action RPGs is it’s a shooting gallery of waves of moron enemies you slaughter like a dynasty warriors game then the bosses actually have mechanics. It needs to be that way always to keep players engaged and on their toes.

Top Bottom