• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix president Takashi Kiryu says the company will be “aggressive in applying” AI in its development and publishing efforts in the future

Kumomeme

as long the A.I being used on right thing

for example currently CBU3 is remaking new high quality asset for FF14's graphical update. im not suprise if there is some sort of A.I upscalling being used there paired with manual touch by artist.

Probably come up with better designs than Nomura.
Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

LimanimaPT

Am I missing something? Isn't for example, a simple photoshop filter, AI to some extend? Photoshop filters are merely tools that improve and speed up work. AI just got better and better , what's the problem if you incorporate this new more powerfull AI in your development cycle? Imagine you could create textures just by typing what you want? Or animating caracters with AI doing most of the work? Or you create entire open world maps woth a snap of a finger?
Games take too long to develop this is not sustainable.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate this ai crap. First of all, it’s not ai. Not even close.
When I look at ai art, sure it looks Impressive that something generated that but no matter how close it is to the real thing, I just don’t feel it knowing it was generated by a robot who stole the style from real artists online.
Imagine future models now fuelled by ton of its own ai art…. It’s hell.
There is nothing I feel looking at ai stuff because I know it’s random. There is no creation there. Just prompts that cobble together scraps of stuff from the internet

Last edited:

Zathalus

Not really news, every software company worth a damn is utilizing AI even if It's not official policy yet.

Comandr

I just don’t feel it knowing it was generated by a robot who stole the style from real artists online.
You do understand you’re describing almost all existing art right?

It is virtually impossible to create completely unique art. You could argue just about every human artist out there got their start by drawing cartoons they liked when they were young. Have you ever BEEN to deviant art? How many people out there do you think are drawing dragon ball, sonic, MLP original characters? So much so that it has completely influenced their style of art.

Spoilers: Akira Toriyama, the creator of dragon ball, hasn’t seriously actively worked on it since like 1995. He provides input and sometimes character designs, but the entire franchise is kept running by people that have … been trained to COPY HIS STYLE.

Even classically trained artists study prior works in college. That then influences the art they create.

AI, in all of its capacity, is just doing what other people already do. Just now, instead of a person stealing ideas and inspiration from the Tolkien and Toriyamas of the world, it’s a computer.

But.. ya know.. stay mad I guess lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You do understand you’re describing almost all existing art right?

It is virtually impossible to create completely unique art. You could argue just about every human artist out there got their start by drawing cartoons they liked when they were young. Have you ever BEEN to deviant art? How many people out there do you think are drawing dragon ball, sonic, MLP original characters? So much so that it has completely influenced their style of art.

Spoilers: Akira Toriyama, the creator of dragon ball, hasn’t seriously actively worked on it since like 1995. He provides input and sometimes character designs, but the entire franchise is kept running by people that have … been trained to COPY HIS STYLE.

Even classically trained artists study prior works in college. That then influences the art they create.

AI, in all of its capacity, is just doing what other people already do. Just now, instead of a person stealing ideas and inspiration from the Tolkien and Toriyamas of the world, it’s a computer.

But.. ya know.. stay mad I guess lol
That's entirely not the same thing as AI making soulless shit up though.
Knowing there is no human intent behind the piece... makes me feel nothing about the art. THat's just it

Griffon

Don't care what tools they use as long as the games are great.
If AI is gonna make production much easier and painless, go for it.

Technology advances and nobody is entitled to a job. You don't see me crying in the streets because I don't have to work in the fields for food.

Last edited:
I've messed around with chat bots like "Character.ai" and I really don't think the general public is aware of how convincing generative AI is under the right conditions. Having an NPC that can react to you actions dynamically and in character, or even being able to talk with your own voice to an NPC rather than choosing set dialog options.. The first game that can really get this right will be transformational.

That's not even to mention how it could be used to assist with coding, QA, writing and localization.. This tech has obvious tangible benefits to development, and opens the door to previously impossible game design possibilities.

Go_Ly_Dow

Anyone who thinks AI will have a net postive effect on the end user experience doesnt understand at all about how Corporations think.
If the results aren't good then let people vote with their wallets. But I think AAA game development needs something to improve efficiencies as 5-7 years of dev time and $300-500mil budgets will become the norm and not the exception. So either clever AI (like you can see in the Unreal demo on page 1) or something else.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Instead of being aggressive in releasing good games for once in a very long time?

Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy XIV Expansions, Final Fantasy VII Remake and soon Rebirth, Final Fantasy VII Reunion (even if its a remaster of Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core), Valkyrie Elysium, Octopath Traveller 2, Bravely Default II, Trials of Mana, NEO: The World Ends With You, Triangle Strategy, Live a Live remake, Diofeld Chronicles, Harvestella, Dragon Quest Treasures, Theatrythm Final Bar Line, Star Ocean The Second Story R - soon Visions of Mana and Emerald Beyond SaGa will release.

Squeenix has been releasing tons of great games for a long while, across many price points.

That's entirely not the same thing as AI making soulless shit up though.
Knowing there is no human intent behind the piece... makes me feel nothing about the art. THat's just it
Maybe the AI has a soul, but you just assume it hasn’t because reasons?

No one knows how it works really by now and it will only get more and more complex by the week, and the speed of extra complexity also speeds up in an exponential factor.

Hudo

Akira Toriyama, the creator of dragon ball, hasn’t seriously actively worked on it since like 1995. He provides input and sometimes character designs, but the entire franchise is kept running by people that have … been trained to COPY HIS STYLE.
Isn't Dragon Ball Super (the manga) done by one of Toriyama's protégés? I'd say that guy has Toriyama's style down pretty well.

Last edited:

Killer8

Nomura has been designing his characters like AI for years. You can't create so many characters with the same face and copy paste so many belts and zippers without there being some sort of AI behind it.

-Zelda-

Banned
Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy XIV Expansions, Final Fantasy VII Remake and soon Rebirth, Final Fantasy VII Reunion (even if its a remaster of Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core), Valkyrie Elysium, Octopath Traveller 2, Bravely Default II, Trials of Mana, NEO: The World Ends With You, Triangle Strategy, Live a Live remake, Diofeld Chronicles, Harvestella, Dragon Quest Treasures, Theatrythm Final Bar Line, Star Ocean The Second Story R - soon Visions of Mana and Emerald Beyond SaGa will release.

Squeenix has been releasing tons of great games for a long while, across many price points.
Opinions, right? Taking that a little too harshly, aren't you? I did not condemn you or anyone else for liking things that I do not, so I'm not the one that is triggered here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom