• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI Launch Trailer SALVATION Released

Mozzarella

Its a shame how things have become to generate hype, i miss these interviews, they build hype but also they show you the game and how it plays, no bullshit trailer with scrapped cutscenes and "gameplay" moments.
Not bashing FF16 here, but im criticizing the general trend of showing trailers instead of this (Elden Ring and TOTK also did this recently)

Last edited:

Madflavor

Its a shame how things have become to generate hype, i miss these interviews, they build hype but also they show you the game and how it plays, no bullshit trailer with scrapped cutscenes and "gameplay" moments.
Not bashing FF16 here, but im criticizing the general trend of showing trailers instead of this

They did something similar to this at Pax East.

I'm really worried about this whole "30 fps in exploration, 60 fps in combat" I'm hearing about ..

That would be rediculous and really suck.
It was confirmed yesterday that it was an older build. Exploration and combat will both be 60fps.

Mozzarella

They did something similar to this at Pax East.

It was confirmed yesterday that it was an older build. Exploration and combat will both be 60fps.
Yeah this is how it should be for big upcoming games. I think i missed a few examples but maybe im a bit frustrated after a disappointing showcase, the hype before the event was very high and the result is super underwhelming.

Madflavor

Yeah this is how it should be for big upcoming games. I think i missed a few examples but maybe im a bit frustrated after a disappointing showcase, the hype before the event was very high and the result is super underwhelming.

Feeling’s mutual. They dropped the ball hard.

Koenigssee

Funny what sold me on this game were Prelude / FF theme played at the start and the end of the trailer.

This one gonna be glorious.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
A 3-year-old Neo account with barely any posts? Alt warrior account detected
radar-love-search.gif

Pejo

I'm just going to chalk this up as a game that doesn't do trailers well. I hope it's fun to actually play.

I haven't been the biggest proponent of this new direction of FF, but I love DMC, so as long as it's got combat depth and varied playstyles, I could still see myself having fun with it. Wish they would just throw me a bone and do one last big budget ATB game though.

Anyways, my PS5 remains broken so I'll just wait for impressions and hopefully the eventual PC release. Hope they don't do the EGS exclusive route again for another year to make the wait even worse.

Pejo

What? The trailer did good job showing good amount of story and gameplay, I’m not getting what exactly the issue here.
Just didn't excite me. It's the most "by the numbers" JRPG trailer you could get. A bunch of fast cuts from story spouting words and names you don't yet understand, tiny vertical slices of gameplay, I dunno. Just ain't hitting the notes for me. My perception of this game is going to be entirely based on the combat.

Danjin44

Just didn't excite me. It's the most "by the numbers" JRPG trailer you could get. A bunch of fast cuts from story spouting words and names you don't yet understand, tiny vertical slices of gameplay, I dunno. Just ain't hitting the notes for me. My perception of this game is going to be entirely based on the combat.
I mean if your issue is overall tone and direction they are going for then I don’t think the full game is going to change your mind at this point.

I don’t know I actually love what they going for here but then again what do I know, people either shit on JRPGs because it’s either too “anime” or in this case not “anime” enough…

Heck when Xenoblade 3 coming out people again complained about character designs and how it’s too anime and they wish we get more older characters in JRPGs……there is always something.

Pejo

I mean if your issue is overall tone and direction they are going for then I don’t think the full game is going to change your mind at this point.

I don’t know I actually love what they going for here but then again what do I know, people either shit on JRPGs because it’s either too “anime” or in this case not “anime” enough…

Heck when Xenoblade 3 coming out people again complained about character designs and how it’s too anime and they wish we get more older characters in JRPGs……there is always something.
Well you already know my personal thoughts on the XBC3 cast. I have no issues with the characters in this, btw. I just don't like that FF is now a single playable character hack and slash combat game. I might eat my words later if the combat is that good, but that's the part that remains to be seen that I am curious about.

TotK had an absolutely bonkers launch trailer. This is many rungs below that. That's all I'm saying for now.

Danjin44

Well you already know my personal thoughts on the XBC3 cast. I have no issues with the characters in this, btw. I just don't like that FF is now a single playable character hack and slash combat game. I might eat my words later if the combat is that good, but that's the part that remains to be seen that I am curious about.
I played JRPGs like Drakengard and Nier series which is mostly had action combat and you only control one character, to me that none issue. To me I dont mind SE goes this direction FF as long they still make turn based combat like Octopath.

The difference with TotK trailer is because Nintendo barely show off the game before that but with FFXVI, Yoshi-P and his team was much more open what this game is all about from the get go and didn't hesitate to show off the game, so at that point either people like they saw or they didn't.

Pejo

I played JRPGs like Drakengard and Nier series which is mostly had action combat and you only control one character, to me that none issue. To me I dont mind SE goes this direction FF as long they still make turn based combat like Octopath.
Yea I loved Nier/Drakengard, but those are separate IPs. I know it's a fools errand to discuss "what is Final Fantasy", but if they wanted to make this game, why didn't they make it a spinoff or not a Final Fantasy altogether. This is pushing the series forward to a whole new genre. Whether that's a good or bad thing remains to be seen, but I for one wish we'd get a super high quality, big budget, and polished turn based ATB game again in the main series. Honkai Star Rail's 100+ milliion revenue in less than a month proves that there's still a market for turn based RPGS. S-E just seems allergic to making them. But at least we get awesome stuff from them like Babylon's Fall, Avengers, and FoamStars.
The difference with TotK trailer is because Nintendo barely show off the game before that but with FFXVI, Yoshi-P and his team was much more open what this game is all about from the get go and didn't hesitate to show off the game, so at that point either people like they saw or they didn't.
Can agree, I was down as fuck on TotK until that last trailer though, it spun me around immediately.

FFXVI has been kinda
Larry David Reaction GIF

the whole time.

Danjin44

I know it's a fools errand to discuss "what is Final Fantasy", but if they wanted to make this game, why didn't they make it a spinoff or not a Final Fantasy altogether.
This same complained I heard against BotW, "oh no its no longer Zelda", FF has changing its combat system for while now, for fuck sake we got mainline FF thats MMO.
Honkai Star Rail's 100+ milliion revenue in less than a month proves that there's still a market for turn based RPGS
Thats god damn gotcha game, I would have believed that when they actually fucking make proper single player without any F2P or gatcha BS.

FFXVI has been kinda
Larry David Reaction GIF

the whole time.
I mean I was personally hyped for FFXVI as much as TotK and still am. You weren't too hot on Xenoblade 3 either but I absolulty loved that game, I think you and me just have very different taste in games.

Last edited:

Pejo

This same complained I heard against BotW, "oh no its no longer Zelda", FF has changing its combat system for while now, for fuck sake we got mainline FF thats MMO.

Thats god damn gotcha game, I would have believed that when actually fucking make proper single player without any F2P or gatcha BS.
So I'm hearing from you - Regarding BotW and FF - "Genre doesn't matter!"

But then for gacha/console JRPG - "Genre absolutely matters!"

The point is that the interest is there for them to make another high quality, high budget turn-based JRPG. They've been milking their classics for decades now, they could just throw us turn-based fans a bone without getting their jimmies all rustled. That's all I'm trying to say.
I mean I was personally hyped for FFXVI as much as TotK and still am. You weren't too hot on Xenoblade 3 either but I absolulty loved that game, I think you and me just have very different taste in games.
Yea, I think that's a fair assessment. I think I'm also a bit more critical of big Japanese releases (despite being a weeb at heart) where you seem to have enough affinity to just look past all of the flaws and downsides and go straight to hype mode.

Danjin44

So I'm hearing from you - Regarding BotW and FF - "Genre doesn't matter!"

But then for gacha/console JRPG - "Genre absolutely matters!"
I'm sorry but in my opinion gacha mechanics is NEVER good and add nothing to actual gameplay other than made to make money. I FUCKING LOVED Xenoblade 2 and I still do but its blade gatcha system was it worst flaw of that game which Xenobalde 3 THANKFULLY fixed that.

Yea, I think that's a fair assessment. I think I'm also a bit more critical of big Japanese releases (despite being a weeb at heart) where you seem to have enough affinity to just look past all of the flaws and downsides and go straight to hype mode.
Sure, but what you consider "flaw" and "downside" might be positive for me and vice versa. I mean you fine with F2P and gacha systems in Genshin Impact and thats how you can enjoy those games but I just can't do it.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I won't get to play it but it looks amazing ,other than a much improved Final Fantasy VIIR-2 Final Fantasy XVI looks like my dream FF

The combat is in good hands, the story is in good hands,the soundtrack as well ,the characters and world look cool,who wouldn't love this game

GenericUser

Man I love this trailer. I like it that they have so much faith in their product that they don't have to show bullshots or cgi all the time. Game looks really good given the scope of the product. I'm really looking forward to this final fantasy. It seems to be packed with content and deep gameplay mechanics. The characters also have a lot of potential to turn out great and who knows what the story will be all about in the end?

Day 1, I'm pretty hyped. Can't decide what I'm more hyped about, FF16 or Diablo4. Both seem to shape up as excellent games.

Last edited:

TheAssist

Not bashing FF16 here, but im criticizing the general trend of showing trailers instead of this (Elden Ring and TOTK also did this recently)

This game literally had an hour long state of play, as had other big games coming to PS5. The exact thing you are asking for or am I wrong? Sure its doesnt happen as often anymore as during E3, but gor the PS5 games they still do it. Everything else you can just look up on twitch/youtube 1 hour after release

Kumomeme

people no need to feed those 2 troll lol. they starting remind me of that particular immature FF15 fan who got banned before.

just ignore them. let them whine for dumb stuff for eternity if that help them to keep mentally sane.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The trailer does little to excite people since it's 97% of the same footage shown with just cutscenes, cinematics and gameplay bits with no UI overlay. Exposition, DMC combat design and a Kaiju battle simulator doesn't mean all that much to me. It's experimentation but it doesn't look like a Final Fantasy game. Just something using the name brand. Seems like it's just Single player FFXIV when all is said and done.

I think it'll be a nice movie(and I guess most of the game is cutscenes anyway?) to watch but I don't see it having very lasting appeal. Especially if it's described to have a central hub and a bunch of instanced zones similar to FFX.

I think the game is gonna probably be decent but nothing wows me from a gameplay standpoint. You'll play it once and then never pick it up again.

On the subject of making a high budget turn based RPG I don't think it's gonna happen outside of maybe Dragon Quest. There is a reason I champion DQ11 S as one of their best games they've made in recent times. They've stated after Type 0 and FF15 that Action games are their future. The bone Pejo is looking for has already been cast in the image of Bravely Default and Octopath.

And I want to say in closing ever since after FF12 I fear FF has long since lost it's identity and they keep trying new things but nothing really sticks. Out of the 2 MMOs FFXI is easily superior and actually feels like a FF game in MMO format while FFXIV is just a Singleplayer RPG that wants to be an MMO.

The best FF entries I've liked that they have put out is DFFOO(Mobile gacha), FFVIIR, Stranger of Paradise(but that's more Tecmo Koei).

Last edited:

Danjin44

I think the game is gonna probably be decent but nothing wows me from a gameplay standpoint. You'll play it once and then never pick it up again.
Speak for yourself, I played FFVIIR multiple times, just because you don’t care for it’s combat it doesn’t mean it true for everybody else.
Seems like it's just Single player FFXIV when all is said and done.
I mean like it or not FFXIV is considered mainline “Final Fantasy”. To me this game is absolutely is Final Fantasy especially its setting and characters design.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Speak for yourself
Well that's why I post. :messenger_sunglasses:

Maybe don't get so upset when someone has a opposing opinion to yours? You can like the game and other people can dislike the game.

Whether a game is mainline or not doesn't really factor into my judgment. The best thing for anyone to do is hold judgment until the game releases.

Probably shouldn't lambast other people just because you like something they don't.

One person's trash is another person's treasure.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Maybe you should take own advice, because you already decided the game is "trash" without even playing it.
Nah I think it'll be decent. Will probably pick it up when it gets ported to PC in a few years when it goes on sale. You are just cherrypicking words from my post without reading the whole thing. Your White Knight is showing.

Yeah I'm playing through it again and everything about the game is so cool, the music is a big part of that. You can argue with other tracks, but I think it has the best boss music hands down, there is no comparison.

Also I've been trying to figure out how to play Cosmo Canyon on my pennywhistle. It seems to go a note too low and I have to do a slide over the octave flip (VERY hard) so I'm guessing I need a lower key whistle for that. I knew I should have gotten that set of Gens.

I'll probably get this Day One, the music isn't as good compared to the original games. The best part is the Gameplay and the visuals.

SunlitSword

Neo Member
Excited for both FFXVI and DD2. Can't believe we're potentially getting both within a year of one another. It's a shame they made the choice to reveal all of the Eikons prior to the release. Unpopular opinion, but I'm happy they toned down the new footage in this trailer. Less than a month away!

Elysion

Banned
The trailer felt a bit disjointed tbh, and didn’t have the ‚oomph‘ of some of the previous trailers. And I have to say, some of the face models and facial animations (especially of non-main characters) look a bit underwhelming, though it‘s not that big of a deal to me.

Have they confirmed there's fights in this game that take less than 5 minutes to finish? I kinda like one hitting enemies in my final fantasy games as you level up, but I feel like so much of what I've seen so far is summons clashing in cinematic effects, and even some regular battles they have to attack the enemy a number of times over a minute to stagger it then they need to attack it more while staggered to get its health down then they need to attack it again to finish it off. I just hope there's some stuff you can fight with your regular swords and win right away too, I worry it'll get tiresome to draw on the summons too often.

Yeah, bulletsponge enemies are my biggest concern so far. I‘m also not a fan of mandatory stagger mechanics in these kinds of games, since they just tend to needlessly prolong battles. I want fights against random mobs to be over quickly, especially if I‘m at a higher level. Real-time combat isn’t really suited for long, drawn-out battles imo.

I also hope that the existence of the hideout with its shops and smiths doesn’t mean that we can only buy and upgrade equipment there, and not in shops in the various towns and cities we visit. Visiting a new town and checking out the local shops to see if they‘ve got new equipment is one of the staples of the rpg genre, and doing away with that in favor of a centralized shopping ‚hub‘ would be almost as bad as those terrible ‚shops‘ in FF13. At least FF16 has actual towns for us to (re)visit (I assume), so it‘s superior to 13 in that regard at least.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Ignored all the media coverage but this slipped through in the Sony presentation to me.

Voice acting is fucking amazing. So glad we're getting a hard Fantasy game instead of another Science Fiction meets Sorcery game. British people should definitely recognize the voice of Cid.

Ar¢tos

Yeah, I spent 3 years registered on here waiting patiently to suddenly today out of all the days I was registered, start crusade against Sony. My advice to you, get a life and take your meds. If you're going to be an e-detective at least use your brain.
TBH you wouldn't be the first one. I've seen older neo accounts that "wake up" in certain specific situations whose purpose seems to be trolling, shilling, FUD spreading, etc and quickly go back to hibernation when their task is done...

Top Bottom