• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI: The Rising Tide releases April 18th + Trailer. (also QoL updates to the base game)

skit_data

I really like the Kairos Gate feature, I almost missed it altogether. Has it been there since Echoes of the Fallen or was it added just now as well?

Edit: Read that it unlocks after completing The Rising Tide. Very nice addition, it's like a mini roguelike mode.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

It’s baked and you can only access it before the last mission.

Baked into the game. To get access to it, you need to be at the end of the game.

Great to hear. I thought it was awful when you had to access the DLC chapters in FF 15 via the menu screen (or if it's in any other game. Expansions and dlc should be baked into the main game).

It’s baked and you can only access it before the last mission.
gif.gif

This means I can just load my last save. Thank you.

tommib

Well that was a bitch of a final stage on that boss but I did it!
Tell me about it. I thought the point was dodging the Tsunami or something. Had to look online. It’s a bit of a shame because it stops you on your tracks. The fight is awesome until you get stuck with the Tsunami bs to try again and again and again.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Tell me about it. I thought the point was dodging the Tsunami or something. Had to look online. It’s a bit of a shame because it stops you on your tracks. The fight is awesome until you get stuck with the Tsunami bs to try again and again and again.
yep just started hoping he'd do the sweeping beam thing instead of the more undodgable bits. Kinda always liked the Ifrit sections as power fantasy easier sections lol so not sure I like that being the big difficult part. Love the timekeeper boss too

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Somehow thought this was a later date.

Wasted my weekend not playing this. Gotta jump in now and hope to complete!

Arsic

I’m surprised with how long it took for this dlc to hit they didn’t fix simple things the game got shit on for at least for this dlc. Make exploring worthwhile, up the difficulty, and make some good side quests.

Nope.

Visuals and story so far are aces, but really a missed opportunity.

Arsic

Well triple post it is…

Beat the dlc last night. Did it all in one sitting. DLC is a little longer than the first but they added side quests and some trials stuff. I only did one trial and couldn’t be bothered to do more. They’re restrictive and dull.

The DLC was good and the final boss was well put together. Even failed one part of it two times and barely clutched it on the third. Absolutely one of the highlight bosses with Titan and Bahamut.

The area was gorgeous and I’m glad they baked in a reason to use good sky boxes instead of the awful purple shit that happens in the final third of the game. Ruins the world appeal once it happens.

I’m disappointed it didn’t add anything more to the ending or expand on anything much. It exists in a vacuum. It taking this long to release seems goofy too and it honestly seems like straight cut content and not content that needed to be worked on from scratch.

It doesn’t elevate 16 to greater heights but it doesn’t bring it down. Game remains a solid 8.5 to me even with its flaws. It had the FF magic, and I’m excited the next entry. It’s one of the only franchises able to teleport me to a simpler time in my life as a youth and experience the magic of video games all over again.

Gandih42

Completely finished the DLC last night by beating the Kairos Gate (15 out of 20 'S' ranks so no secret boss unfortunately ...). Absolutely loved it and I think it highlights som really interesting things about the game.

First of all, taking a break straight from FF7 Rebirth to play the FF16 DLC, it was quite shocking to see the difference in visuals. FF16 looks incredible on a different level than Rebirth in my opinion, the environments and character models (main characters especially) are a noticeable step up. Which I also imagine is part of the reason the gameplay of 16 is so narrow in scope compared to Rebirth. Building these set-pieces and environments must soak up a ton of resources and development. I'm not sure I'd say its worth it in the end, but I do really appreciate that FF16 is an absolute powerhouse in the visuals department whereas Rebirth blows it away in width and depth (not that Rebirth looks bad by any means). Two very different and very welcome interpretations of Japanese high-budget videogame goodness.

As for the DLC itself, I doubt it'll convince anyone who didn't like FF16 already. It's more of the same, but highly refined in the parts that were already good, and not much different in the rest.

Itemisation is still largely uninteresting (although the most fun accessories are definitely to be found in the DLCs). There is more levity in the side quests and the setting in general, which complements the main game really well, but the quest rewards and objectives haven't evolved in any meaningful ways. The new open map is gorgeous and delightful to explore, but there's not really anything to find except the quest objectives.

On the things that were already great in FF16 though, my god. The upped difficulty in both DLC packs greatly elevates the combat and makes it a lot more fun to play around with all the old abilities + new abilities (after the Kairos Gate, Rift Slip is my new favorite) and the new bosses are incredible. Maybe slightly controversial, but I really dug how difficult the Leviathan fight was. I had to thoroughly learn how to avoid all the moves before I could beat him on 'Final Fantasy' difficulty. The story and music were aces too, having a people that were genuinely nice and chill with a compelling story was a nice change of pace from all the despair of the main game. The song 'Cascade' will be blasting in my head for days to come...

I think it would have a bit foolish to expect the DLC to fix the flaws of the game, given the rigidity with which it is designed and constraints I'm sure the visuals impose. But with a second iteration I fully believe they could make a game that a much broader audience would find incredible. Hold on to the combat, the visuals, the good parts of character and world storytelling, sprinkle in the ambition and playful tone of Rebirth.

As a big FF16 fan, I feel fully satisfied to give the game a well deserved rest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom