• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Intense Boss Fights Reportedly Causing PS5 Consoles To Overheat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bry0

Sounds more like a problem with some ps5 having bald spots from Liquid Metal application weirdness. I’m sure ff16 pushes the console up to its thermal limit, and pump out is a thing.

Last edited:

mhirano

Somebody called me?
Why are you ruining other people gaming sessions?

This may have been answered already, but is there any correlation between the version of heatsink and the likelyhood of this happening? Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the smaller heatsink allow for better air circulation?
Air circulation depends on unobstructed vents, but a smaller heatsink means less contact surface from exchanging heat between the APU and the cold air. Whet it comes to heatskins, the larger the better.
FYI fanless PC systems have huge heatsinks to compensate the lack of active cooling

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

The cooling system is NOT controlled by game software....
Never stated as much. The game code controls the components that actually produce heat. This in turn can expose a situation where more heat is being produced the cooling system can dissipate.

Last edited:

Aenima

One of the outlets that reviewed the game explains in this video that it happened to them on every boss fight and WHY it happens (there’s so much shit going on in the fights), but sure ignore that and focus on a Tweet if it makes it easier for you to dismiss it.
Im about 50% though the game. Fought countless bosses with alot of shit going on the screen. Zero overheat warnings. Zero Crashes. Found Zero Bugs.
Outside of poor optimisation for the 60fps mode, game is very polished.

My room is very hot, about 30c. Need to play with a window open and a fan turned on to not turn the room into a sauna.
My console is very well ventilated from all sides and no obstruction from where the console expells the heat. Just did a light cleaning 1 time since launch by removing the console plates and cleaning the dust around the fan. There was not much dust, but aound the fan grill there was some clusters of dust that i vacumed.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Having the console overheat in a Ifrit/phoenix themed FF is some Rockstar/Kojima type attention to detail.
Is that the boss fight that they say it causes to overheat? I played the demo 4 times and my console never overheated.
hell-no.gif

What's happening?
The game will start to boot up. The furthest screen I've gotten to is the "focus on story or action" setting and then I freezes for about 30 sec before giving me an error screen with the code CE-108255-1

So, a couple notes:
- I have done everything from turning off hdr to clearing the cache to totally restoring my playstation
- there are others I found on reddit with the same issues
- I even called playstation and they confirmed the code was based on an issue with the app and not the playstation
- this same issue was had on the 16 demo and no other ga.ed have this issue

I'm pretty frustrated and I've seen nothing posted by Square enix about it. The people at Sony told me I could get a refused because "the app was already opened" 🙄 I've been dealing with this all day and it feels like $70 wasted

solidus12

isn’t the first gen PS5 better engineered from a heat dissipation standpoint? It has a bigger heatsink and a lot more copper compared the newer versions.

Though, the latest one compensate with a smaller APU.

Bojji

The game will start to boot up. The furthest screen I've gotten to is the "focus on story or action" setting and then I freezes for about 30 sec before giving me an error screen with the code CE-108255-1

So, a couple notes:
- I have done everything from turning off hdr to clearing the cache to totally restoring my playstation
- I even called playstation and they confirmed the code was based on an issue with the app and not the playstation

I'm pretty frustrated and I've seen nothing posted by Square enix about it. The people at Sony told me I could get a refused because "the app was already opened" 🙄 I've been dealing with this all day and it feels like $70 wasted

That's fucked up... I didn't know they released this with a bug like this. I have disc version.

Thing like that should be fixed with the patch but question is, when?

skit_data

So, a couple notes:

Have you tried booting in safe mode and rebuilt the database? Sometimes it solves this kind of stuff

Pimpbaa

How fast can the fan rev up? Every game I played so far has kept my ps5 very quiet. Even with games with unlocked fps (with VRR).

Played FF XVI for 4 hours in 1 sitting and not once did my fan go off in that entire time, when I put the disk inside it sounded a little loud but that’s normal every time when it reads the disk.

People need to really give the ps5 some breathing room, I have the launch model with the insanely sized heat sink so maybe that helps, also haven’t cleaned it since last year, probably around September.

Sleepwalker

Wow.. .. I dodged the bullet. I was going to buy it today.
Lo jugué 10 horas seguidas y nunca se recalentó la play, no es realmente un problema común.

lmao gen 1 ps5 owners punching the air rn

t. future ps5 pro owner/enjoyer

Played it for 10 hours today, going through several boss fights on my day 1 PS5, it stayed cool and silent all the way through.

Last edited:
Lo jugué 10 horas seguidas y nunca se recalentó la play, no es realmente un problema común.

Played it for 10 hours today, going through several boss fights on my day 1 PS5, it stayed cool and silent all the way through.
lol yeah right you're probably posting this from the burn unit

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
More like summer and poor ventilated consoles are overheating. My room is hot as fuck right now but my console is well ventilated, no overheat issues here with the demo or the full game.
Can we gift an air conditioner to this guy. We all need to experience 65 degrees inside when it's hot outside.

Tomeru

My anecdotal experience:

I didnt turn my console for around 6 months I think. I then started the game when it was at the "ready to play" installation stage. Half way through the opening sequence the ps5 told me its too hot, shut down now.

I tried again and it didn't even let me start the game.

I put the console horizontally, and let the game fully install. I thought about those past fud vids about the liquid metal paste, thought maybe because it stood silent for many months - maybe the paste was affected by gravity, and its not covering the cpu properely (shame on me probably).

Anyway, when the game installed fully, I started the game and it hasn't overheat. I placed the console back in its original phalic position - and you gussed it - no overheat since then, and I'm many hours into the game.

So, take that as you will. I think because the game wasn't installed fully, something was broken with software.

Krathoon

Run a Swiffer over your PS5. If it is really bad, take off the sides and clean out the fan.

One thing that worries me about the PS5 is that liquid metal defect. I hope I never have that.

They probably should not have used liquid metal and just used thermal paste.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Run a Swiffer over your PS5. If it is really bad, take off the sides and clean out the fan.

One thing that worries me about the PS5 is that liquid metal defect. I hope I never have that.

They probably should not have used liquid metal and just used thermal paste.

I think that you have to live without worries... Because they are already rumors that are spreading on the Internet... After a while when The last of us part 3 comes out they are going to say that the PS5 is overheating.

Krathoon

The PS5 only has a one year warranty. Way to go, SONY.

I am sure they will try to fix them if there is a defect. They just have to admit to it.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
The PS5 only has a one year warranty. Way to go, SONY.

I am sure they will try to fix them if there is a defect. They just have to admit to it.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but Xbox and Nintendo have a one-year warranty on the Series X|S and the Switch as well, right?

Wait the PS5 isn’t supposed to be vertical? I just game on pc these days but based on the form of the thing I assumed it was supposed to be vertical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom