• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Intense Boss Fights Reportedly Causing PS5 Consoles To Overheat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably gamers that were unfortunate enough to pick up the 1st iteration of the original SKU. It's the one I have and it runs a little hotter than the original due to a much smaller heatsink. I think the subsequent revision runs much cooler as it had a stealthy die shrink to 6nm.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not that this didn't happen, but I doubt this is happening.
Sounds like a rumour straight out from the ps3 days.
No patch required is true. You don’t need it.

You guys really believe this bs? The console still draws 200 watt. It’s not overheating on a boss lol.
I don't belive this for a second
One of the outlets that reviewed the game explains in this video that it happened to them on every boss fight and WHY it happens (there’s so much shit going on in the fights), but sure ignore that and focus on a Tweet if it makes it easier for you to dismiss it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
One of the outlets that reviewed the game explains in this video that it happened to them on every boss fight and WHY it happens (there’s so much shit going on in the fights), but sure ignore that and focus on a Tweet if it makes it easier for you to dismiss it.
on every boss fight?
1 outlet?

gtfo. Demo didn't flinch for me and it had multiple bssfights.
A game cannot make the console hotter. It's still 200 watts.
It's summer

Puscifer

Suzi Hunter ran into this issue as well. Recommended everyone inspect the PS5 fan and give it a quick clean before playing the game.
I think Sony having it spin at a low RPM to keep it quiet wasn't well thought out. Should be spinning around 13-1500 RPM, games are going to
o get heavier out only makes sense.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don’t think you know how things work. With nearly 50 years of game consoles, I can assure you no matter what that wattage of a console a game can cause it to over work and thus overheat.
There is nothing complicated about it.
It can go up to 200watt and thats it

Stafford

fa3AbRm.png

I forget we're in the YouTube Gen. Maybe the reviewer's house is a sh9t hole and he doesn't look after his PS5.

Loxus

There is nothing complicated about it.
It can go up to 200watt and thats it
Dude dislikes the PS5 for some reason.

Sony did a piece in Road to PS5 why games wouldn't overheat the PS5.

"We supply a generous amount of electrical power and then increase the frequency of GPU and CPU until they reach the capabilities of the system's cooling solution.

It's a completely different paradigm. Rather than running at constant frequency and letting power vary based on the workload. We run at essentially constant power and let the frequency band vary based on the workload.

We then tackled the engineering challenge of a cost-effective and high-performance cooling solution designed for that specific power level.

In some ways it becomes a simpler problem because there are no more unknowns, there's no need to guess what power consumption the worst case game might have."

So based on Mark Cerny's words, the only possible way to cause the PS5 to overheat is inadequate ventilation.

Last edited:
This does make me curious about the developer efforts in optimization.

There was a rumor a few years ago that Santa Monica were not happy with the PS4's optimization capabilities i.e lack of control over polygons/triangles being rendered or culled. This was apparently one of the reasons God of War ran so hot on PS4 Pro.

The PS5's new feature set. more specifically Primitive Shaders allow a fully programmable approach to triangle rendering, and allow developers to have a much tighter and flexible control over the workloads which are being issued to the CPU and GPU.

Puscifer

on every boss fight?
1 outlet?

gtfo. Demo didn't flinch for me and it had multiple bssfights.
A game cannot make the console hotter. It's still 200 watts.
It's summer
What are you talking about a game can't make a console hotter lol. Certain games are going to hit resources differently, that's just a given, doom eternal at 4K heats my processor up like crazy

ManaByte

Gold Member

"We supply a generous amount of electrical power and then increase the frequency of GPU and CPU until they reach the capabilities of the system's cooling solution.

It's a completely different paradigm. Rather than running at constant frequency and letting power vary based on the workload. We run at essentially constant power and let the frequency band vary based on the workload.

We then tackled the engineering challenge of a cost-effective and high-performance cooling solution designed for that specific power level.

In some ways it becomes a simpler problem because there are no more unknowns, there's no need to guess what power consumption the worst case game might have."

So based on Mark Cerny's words, the only possible way to cause the PS5 to overheat is inadequate ventilation.
Y’all are taking the thread as an attack on the console. Square not optimizing their game correctly and QA giving it a pass has nothing to do with the hardware.

Fbh

Having the console overheat in a Ifrit/phoenix themed FF is some Rockstar/Kojima type attention to detail.

Hats off to Square.

Oh well at least there's going to be one benefit to it being like -8(C°) outside and my heating barely being able to keep up

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Every individual cpu manufactured has a different peak temp. Usually you do test to get the lowest temp threshold out of a bunch and then set your targets accordingly.

But that doesn’t mean you will never have any to overheat if you put a constant load on it.
You can get slight differences in cooling applications as well that can add to this.

Any slight deviations during the manufacturing process can lead to a lower heat threshold.

And we know that the heat threshold was pushed so high on the ps5 that they had to move to a Liquid Metal thermal solution.

Either way it’s completely possible for any processor to overheat today.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
More like summer and poor ventilated consoles are overheating. My room is hot as fuck right now but my console is well ventilated, no overheat issues here with the demo or the full game.

Exactly. The PS5, with the way it's always running at a fixed power level rather than fixed clocks, shouldn't really be able to overheat just from a game being demanding I think? But of course variations between units, high ambient temperature, etc, could still allow that to happen.

Last edited:

Loxus

Every individual cpu manufactured has a different peak temp. Usually you do test to get the lowest temp threshold out of a bunch and then set your targets accordingly.

But that doesn’t mean you will never have any to overheat if you put a constant load on it.
You can get slight differences in cooling applications as well that can add to this.

Any slight deviations during the manufacturing process can lead to a lower heat threshold.

And we know that the heat threshold was pushed so high on the ps5 that they had to move to a Liquid Metal thermal solution.

Either way it’s completely possible for any processor to overheat today.
Did you even read what Mark Cerny said?

Power = Heat.
The PS5 runs at constant power, frequency varies and the cooling is designed around that constant power.

PS5 chip does not consume more that that set power, so a game can not cause the PS5 to overheat.

LordCBH

A report of one person having overheating issues is causing some of you weirdos to jump the shark and doom post. It’s one fucking person who had a dirty as fuck PS5.

skit_data

I think hot weather, dust buildup and/or keeping the console in a confined place is more likely when it these cases since it doesn't seem to be an issue affecting everyone.

On the topic of wether the game itself would be a contributing factor I really have no idea but from what I've understood of Cernys talks about the console it shouldn't lead to a complete shutdown of the console. It's pretty funny btw, the only game that make my PS5s fan rev up is XCOM 2, I don't what it is about that game tbh because it's running in BC mode and should have a pretty huge overhead both in terms of compute and thermals.

DaGwaphics

Hopefully nothing widespread. Nothing worse than a game that can brick consoles, though it has happened before. I'm sure a patch will come right away if this isn't just a case of someone running their PS5 from a closed cabinet.

Krathoon

I have had no problems. Played through the demo with no problems.

Where are you putting your PS5s? I got mine behind the tv with lots of air. I would leave it outside the cabinet. It is more like a PC tower.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I find it hard to believe when Call of Duty hasn't achieved this yet.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Three warnings so far. Third one caused hard shutdown. If your room temp is under 25c you should be fine.

Yesterday I played for 9 hours in a row and it was fine.

MarkMe2525

This may have been answered already, but is there any correlation between the version of heatsink and the likelyhood of this happening? Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the smaller heatsink allow for better air circulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom