• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

EDMIX

FF16 is directed by the same guy that made The Last Remnant, which was my favorite JRPG before Persona 5

Great news

Really? Last Remnant has a pretty deep cult following. Making me wonder what all the fuss is about lol. I might actually buy it when its on sale. I wanted it for years, I bought it on PC a long time ago, but want the remaster on PS4. Will wait for a sale.

mortal

Gold Member
Can we not kill off this lady please?

z38szGk.jpg

She looks like walking deathmeat in a Final Fantasy universe. RIP 💔
I can't lie some of the characters models in that trailer look a couple notches above being FFXIV NPCs.
There's something weird and off-putting about their beady eyes + small rounded faces. Not to mention the limited facial animation that makes them look dated.
So I understand why some are let down by the quality of the visuals in some ways.

A current gen game like FFVII R has some amazingly detailed character models and animations.
After seeing Naughty Dog's work on The Last of Us Part II, they've pretty much raised the bar for character drama heavy games.

I wouldn't be surprised if FFXVI ends up being cross gen.

Yoboman

I can't lie some of the characters models in that trailer look a couple notches above being FFXIV NPCs.
There's something weird and off-putting about their beady eyes + small rounded faces. Not to mention the limited facial animation that makes them look dated.
So I understand why some are let down by the quality of the visuals in some ways.

A current gen game like FFVII R has some amazingly detailed character models and animations.
After seeing Naughty Dog's work on The Last of Us Part II, they've pretty much raised the bar for character drama heavy games.

Its that weird thing in Square games where all the main characters look slightly anime but all the NPCs look like normal people

iorek21

Really? Last Remnant has a pretty deep cult following. Making me wonder what all the fuss is about lol. I might actually buy it when its on sale. I wanted it for years, I bought it on PC a long time ago, but want the remaster on PS4. Will wait for a sale.

I really like it.

It's nowhere flawless, but there's something really special in it; soundtrack is great, the setting is amazing

Great experience overall

Kumomeme

So Yoshi P is basically a massive Matsuno fanboy

That makes me so hyped

How does his FFXIV stuff match up to Matsuno's work?
i suggest you can try play it to taste it yourself :messenger_beaming: there still lot of time before xvi release.

eitherway lot of XIV staff is those who work with ivalice game include since FF Tactics

Not just Yoshi-P, but Heavensward writer also fans of his. His writing is influence alot by Matsuno.

there is thread made on reddit on how matsuno influenced these guy and xiv

and yasumi matsuno apparently 'accidently' revealed that Maehiro is the writer for XVI. He denied the the involvement though.
(the tweet already deleted)
oWoVvN0.png

Last edited:

Thabass

So Yoshi P is basically a massive Matsuno fanboy

That makes me so hyped

How does his FFXIV stuff match up to Matsuno's work?

If I may be so bold, because of Yoshida taking over the XIV project, it has become my favorite Final Fantasy game. There's a reason why I have 1,000+ hours played into the game. It trumps IX, which as been my favorite for many year. Yoshida being on the XVI project is the best thing to ever happen.

Yoboman

i suggest you can try play it to taste it yourself :messenger_beaming: there still lot of time before xvi release.

eitherway lot of XIV staff is those who work with ivalice game include since FF Tactics

Not just Yoshi-P, but Heavensward writer also fans of his. His writing is influence alot by Matsuno.

there is thread made on reddit on how matsuno influenced these guy and xiv

and yasumi matsuno apparently 'accidently' revealed that Maehiro is the writer for XVI. He denied the the involvement though.
(the tweet already deleted)
oWoVvN0.png

Great post thats exciting. I wish Matsuno would come back but this seems as good

YukiOnna

Can someone explain to me why some people think this game has western game aesthetics?

These are Japanese designs to me.
image.0.png
Final-Fantasy-XIV-4.jpg
final-fantasy-xvi-d.jpg

Its just they have much more classic Final Fantasy look:
c0d03cf82e4a5fe2378acce08a24fd13.jpg

c56b32427fe98e27901739662f135599.jpg
It just looks like normal JRPG Fantasy to me. The designs are Asian/Cartoonish enough.

To be fair, it was just a teaser and probably from an earlier build. It would be silly if it wasn't improved on and polished.

Nehezir

Banned
YoshiP is the only Producer from SE that I trust so I'm pretty stoked to buy this when it gets ported to PC.

KiteGr

did you not played XIV since then? XIV 1.0 indeed disaster but XIV 2.0 onward especially the expansions is different. When people talk about XIV, they talk about 2.0 onward, not the 1.0 disasster. If you didnt, i suggest you take a look. Currently there free trial that cover base game and main expansion( lv 1-60). Base game, ARR can be bit slot but expansion onward especially Heavensward and Shadowbringers is amazing. Current XIV is not same at 1.0 XIV. It handled by different team, different engine and Heavensward lead is the one handled XVI.
I know that the current FF14 is good. It should be after 10 years of updates even if they didn't remake it at some point.
My point is that most FF games after 10 where very flawed/unfinished at release and I have little faith that FF16 will be any different.

As for trying the current FF14, as I said, normal people can't play more than 1 MMO at a time, and I can't see my self go back paying subscriptions any time soon.
Have you tried GW2? The vanilla game is free, even though most of the kickass content was added in the later updates and expansions. It's doing remarkably well for a game not tied to a popular franchise.

Nehezir

Banned
XIV right now is a pretty formulaic affair(as in a lot of the gameplay elements can be rather predictable and we tend to like that) but it's also one of the better blends of content and socialization you'll find in an MMO. but I'm the kind of nutter who has like 16 thousand hours in it.

EdKeen

Neo Member
The game looks like a mixture of FF14, 15 and it could just be a coincidence but also A Plague Tale. The game could end up being vastly different though considering only a single trailer has been released.

Definitely getting A Plague Tale vibe from this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Imagine if the trailer doesn’t show much, and people are underwhelmed, then when the game comes out, BOOM best FF since FFX.

Thabass

XIV right now is a pretty formulaic affair(as in a lot of the gameplay elements can be rather predictable and we tend to like that) but it's also one of the better blends of content and socialization you'll find in an MMO. but I'm the kind of nutter who has like 16 thousand hours in it.

XIV is simple, yet has a hard learning curve in the end game. Especially when dealing with Extreme trails and raids. I always find it weird that people say that there's sparse end-game content. I feel like I always have something to do in the game. Take now for example, I'm leveling every single job to 80 now. I finally had time to get some other jobs I wanted to play to 50, so I'm working my way up.

That alone will probably take a couple of months of my life just doing that. I don't have time to play all the time, so it's easy for me to find content do for this game.

mortal

Gold Member
It just looks like normal JRPG Fantasy to me. The designs are Asian/Cartoonish enough.

To be fair, it was just a teaser and probably from an earlier build. It would be silly if it wasn't improved on and polished.
Possibly. Although my main gripe is with their designs.

Lethal01

I can't watch this trailer without my eyes getting glazed. The fucking music. The creatures. The crystals. The medieval.

This is the sequel to FF3 I've wanted.

Dear Square, Final Fantasy.

I forgive you. I accept your apology.

This is what FF is supposed to be like.

Meh, it's a nice filler title until their real mainline game VII part 2 comes out.

More seriously though, right now it's looking like they decided to just straight up turn the franchise into a dmc styled action game which looks like a big step back to me when we just got a game that blended classic Final Fantasy systems with action so perfectly.

Lethal01

God some people have such an unhealthy obsession with graphics. Square's obsession with Graphical Fidelty ended up hurting XIII and XV, and most likely contributed to why it took so goddamn long for them to come out, especially with XV (yes I know XV also went through development hell and multiple changes). At least XVI looks like it may come out within the next couple years. Maybe that's because the team behind the game is well organized, and focused on telling a good story and a fun game, rather than prioritizing "ZOMG Look at the pretty colors! Those shadows! That lighting!"

FFVII:R, while for the most part looked pretty damn good, had plenty of moments where the textures and background looked awful. But goddamn was the the most fun I've had with a Final Fantasy game since FFX.

I don't need it to be mind blowing, I was fine with the mixed bag FFVII was. But so far the game just didn't even look like it matched up to VII. I think like hoping for something that looks as good as FFVII on a system that's >5x more powerful is being reasonable so right now the visuals look very dissapointing.

May not really even be about the graphics, the world design and character designs just look meh.

Nehezir

Banned
XIV is simple, yet has a hard learning curve in the end game. Especially when dealing with Extreme trails and raids. I always find it weird that people say that there's sparse end-game content. I feel like I always have something to do in the game. Take now for example, I'm leveling every single job to 80 now. I finally had time to get some other jobs I wanted to play to 50, so I'm working my way up.

That alone will probably take a couple of months of my life just doing that. I don't have time to play all the time, so it's easy for me to find content do for this game.
I enjoy just toiling and making gil, supporting friends, etc.. Haven't touched "Endgame content" in like 4 years.

Dargor

Hope this is an early build, they really need to increase the quality in some of the assets being used.

It does look cool though, I was watching it and when they started showing some combat gameplay, I immediately thought it looked a little like devil may cry, which is a good thing.

The only question is, how much money did sony paid to get this as exclusive? Man, it must not have been cheap.

Lethal01

Probably the lack of absurd sized swords, zippers, leather, chains and/or toned down color palette.

It's not just the faces, those still look fairly Japanese but there is more to it than just faces.
It just looks more grounded and realistic. Much less "anime"

455.png
468.png
463.png
456.png
461.png

It looks like a western game with some key Final Fantasy elements and Japanese flair but it definitely looks much more like a western game than other games in the series.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It looks like a western game with some key Final Fantasy elements and Japanese flair but it definitely looks much more like a western game than other games in the series.
I’m sorry but I’m not seeing it, is it because it has medieval setting? That’s like calling Ghost of Tsushima “Japanese game” just because it has Japanese setting.

Teslerum

It's not just the faces, those still look fairly Japanese but there is more to it than just faces.

455.png
468.png
463.png
456.png
461.png

?

Final Fantasy II, Vagrant Story (stretch, but connected to Ivalice) , Tactics, XII? The vibe has been there before.

Last edited:

Lethal01

?

Final Fantasy II, Vagrant Story (stretch, but connected to Ivalice) , Tactics, XII? The vibe has been there before.

Those games were far more stylized, it's hard to say they don't look Japanese when they look like anime.

This game on the other hand look pretty much totally realistic in terms of how it's rendered combined with a realistic setting and it open with what looks like a pretty realistic war with some fantasy creatures thrown in.

Last edited:

Dargor

I dunno about others, but the moment I saw that dudes face with the tatoo, you know the close in on the fire reflection in the eye and it pans out to show the dudes face at the beginning? I said final fantasy. I didnt give it a number yet, but I said final fantasy.

Lethal01

Right? To me big difference here is the character designs is not as exaggerated as other Nomura design Final Fantasy.

Aside from having pretty boys and using Monsters from FF what about it is distinctly Japanese? Also, just to make it clear. I don't care if it is or isn't I'm just saying it seems pretty obvious why people would claim it looks more like western games like witcher.

Lethal01

I dunno about others, but the moment I saw that dudes face with the tatoo, you know the close in on the fire reflection in the eye and it pans out to show the dudes face at the beginning? I said final fantasy. I didnt give it a number yet, but I said final fantasy.

I thought it was this

That's kind of my point. You associate those things with being Japanese or "anime" when Japanese style can be far broader than that. I've never really been a fan and just really, put up with it because I'm a huge fan of Japanese art/media.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess you could say there are 3 types of FF fans:

1. Those that like incredibly fantasy setting in a modern setting with Nomura made characters (FFVII + FFVIIR, FFVIII, FFX, FFXIII, FFXV)
2. Those that like the medieval, "high fantasy" approach, with non-Nomura looking characters (Tactics, FFIX, FXII, FFXIV)
3. Both (rare)

FFXVI is leaning to #2 fans.

Dargor

I guess you could say there are 3 types of FF fans:

1. Those that like incredibly fantasy setting in a modern setting with Nomura made characters (FFVII + FFVIIR, FFVIII, FFX, FFXIII, FFXV)
2. Those that like the medieval, "high fantasy" approach, with non-Nomura looking characters (Tactics, FFIX, FXII, FFXIV)
3. Both (rare)

FFXVI is leaning to #2 fans.

My biggest gripe with FF is when they start going over the top everything, doesnt matter if its medieval or modern.

You know, 20 belts, sword looks like it would cut everything, including the wielder, but not the enemy. Weird clothes and armor that look right out of a high fashion magazine (the ones that no sane person would ever use), etc.

You get what I'm saying.

Teslerum

Those games were far more stylized, it's hard to say they don't look Japanese when they look like anime.

This game on the other hand look pretty much totally realistic in terms of how it's rendered combined with a realistic setting and it open with what looks like a pretty realistic war with some fantasy creatures thrown in.

? Yeah, they're more stylized because they're on PS1 (and FFII is nes so no comparison). Otherwise and from the vibe you're describing they are the same. Tactics is gritty and *realistic*, FF2 is, Vagrant Story is (BTW: The art director on this is the guy that is responsible for a lot of art in those games), FFXII is and FFXIV is.

Lethal01

That's kind of my point. You associate those things with being Japanese or "anime" when Japanese style can be far broader than that. I've never really been a fan and just really, put up with it because I'm a huge fan of Japanese art/media.

No, I'm not saying it's not Japanese unless it's "anime" that's dumb. However I am saying that looking like anime would instantly make a game look obviously Japanese. So when you mention those games and ask why they get a pass I think the answer is obvious.

I agree the Japanese style is much broader, but once again. Aside from having pretty boys and FF monsters what in this game do you think makes it look Jpanaese?

Last edited:

Danjin44

Aside from having pretty boys and using Monsters from FF what about it is distinctly Japanese? Also, just to make it clear. I don't care if it is or isn't I'm just saying it seems pretty obvious why people would claim it looks more like western games like witcher.
I post this before but in my opinion the overall art direction mostly looks like classic Final Fantasy rather than "western", with just better graphics.

I'm bummed that Sony money hatted this one. Hopefully it turns out great. Enjoy it my dudes, I'll hopefully get it later on the XBOX Series X or I'll play it mid way through the gen when I pick up.the PS5.

ULTROS!

My biggest gripe with FF is when they start going over the top everything, doesnt matter if its medieval or modern.

You know, 20 belts, sword looks like it would cut everything, including the wielder, but not the enemy. Weird clothes and armor that look right out of a high fashion magazine (the ones that no sane person would ever use), etc.

You get what I'm saying.

Yeah, so I'm guessing your a fan on my point #2. #1 fans are the much more popular compared to #2 fans (as sales dictate), I'm glad that SE is giving this a chance for the #2 fans though, but I have a feeling it won't do as well because the aesthetics don't click to the #1 fans (I'm more of a #1 kind of fan, but I like #2 enough), but I have a good feeling it'll end up a good game.

I notice that the #2 fans are more active and vocal in forums than the #1 fans (which are the majority).

Last edited:

Dargor

Yeah, so I'm guessing your a fan on my point #2. #1 fans are the much more popular compared to #2 fans (as sales dictate), I'm glad that SE is giving this a chance for the #2 fans though, but I have a feeling it won't do as well because the aesthetics don't click to the #1 fans (I'm more of a #1 kind of fan, but I like #2 enough), but I have a good feeling it'll end up a good game.

I notice that the #2 fans are more active and vocal in forums than the #1 fans (which are the majority).

nah, I'm saying I'm a number 4, my favorite ff is VIII, things were starting to get a little out of hand in it, but it still wasn't that over the top.

edit: oops, wrote 3 when I meant 4

Last edited:

Lethal01

I post this before but in my opinion the overall art direction mostly looks like classic Final Fantasy rather than "western", with just better graphics.

Nah i'd love to see a game that looks like the FFIII cutscene, this looks far more grounded, less colorful, more realistic clothing, more realistic proportions.

There are similarities sure, but that trailer is far further away from looking like something like the witch that FFXVI is.

Danjin44

Nah i'd love to see a game that looks like the FFIII cutscene, this looks far more grounded, less colorful, more realistic clothing, more realistic proportions.

There are similarities sure, but that trailer is far further away from looking like something like the witch that FFXVI is.
I think you are mostly talking about the colour and tone, because none of the character design or monster designs are western and so far all we saw from the game night at time.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I think you are mostly talking about the colour and tone, because none of the character design or monster designs are western and so far all we saw from the game night at time.

Nah
The most Japanese thing about the characters is how they all look ridiculously handsome or pretty. The faces have definitely not lost the Japanese flare.

Some of the costume designs however could easily be in a western game.
loic-paulus-plantagenet-paysage.jpg

Not to say there is nothing "Japanese" about them but I just don't get the confusion when people say that it looks closer to witcher than it has before.
Basically I'm just saying there it's like they took what you showed and sprinkled a healthy dose of something like the picture above onto it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Nah
The most Japanese thing about the characters is how they all look ridiculously handsome or pretty. The faces have definitely not lost the Japanese flare.

Not to say there is nothing "Japanese" about them but I just don't get the confusion when people say that it looks closer to witcher than it has before.
The classic Final Fantasy always had European medieval look to them.

This from Final Fantasy III
hdVHeUz.png

From FFXVI
8IXnwTP.png

Again this mostly looks like classic Final Fantasy rather than WRPG....I hopefully we see more of the world with new trailers.

Teslerum

Nah

Basically I'm just saying there it's like they took what you showed and sprinkled a healthy dose of something like the picture above onto it.
? I mean, what?

If you’re talking about western style armor. Yes, Final Fantasy had that. Multiple times.

What?

Ixion

This is going to be a great game.
  • Looks to be the darkest and most brutal Final Fantasy to date
  • The combat looks like DMC. Should be similar to what FFXV tried to do, but better executed. That sounds good to me.
  • The story is centered around the summons (similar to FFX), and the summons are the coolest thing about Final Fantasy, so that's promising.
  • The team working on this game has a very strong track record in recent years and knows their priorities.
  • The younger version of the main character looks kinda lame (mainly the hairstyle), but the grown up version looks cool. I hope we play most of the game with him, which looks to be the case considering the trailer starts and ends showing him.
  • Considering this is from the FFXIV team, we can expect an open-world type of experience
  • The music at the end of the trailer gives me chills

All in all, I think this looks to be a great direction for the series, especially since the ongoing FFVII Remake series will basically provide the other main style of Final Fantasy for the time being. I enjoy both styles if they're done well (whether it's something like FF7/FFX or something like FF9/FF12).

Last edited:
Top Bottom