• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

D.Final

Banned
Guys so If I loved FF15 (never played any other FF), will I love this as well? How will this be diff from ff15?

Hard to say now.
I also really love Final Fantasy XV, and it is actually one of the best Final Fantasy games I've ever played, and I've played them all.

It seems that Final Fantasy XVI take the main action combat system from Final Fantasy XV.
(and I really liked that action combat system)
But for the most of the other aspects, we can only make some suggestions or hypothesis, for now.
(since we don't know if Final Fantasy XVI will be an openworld game, or not, and we have only had with this trailer just a little glimpse of what will be, probably, a little part of the entire game, in the end)

And for more info about this, it seems that we'll will must wait at least the next year.
(even if I hope that some info can coming even before the end of the year)

Last edited:

Teslerum

There's a huge western influence in Berserk, doesn't stop it being anime

Yeah, but Berserk falls into the same category for me. It's anime in the sense of the word, not what people think of when they hear the word Anime (for example when talking jrpgs the Tales series). But I guess we're just arguing semantics here.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yeah, but Berserk falls into the same category for me. It's anime in the sense of the word, not what people think of when they hear the word Anime (for example when talking jrpgs the Tales series). But I guess we're just arguing semantics here.
For me personally thats always what Final Fantasy was, it felt Western with a magical and artistic flavouring that felt Japanese. In fact that's why FFXIII and XV never appealed to me, they felt distinctly lacking in that "western" element

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I don't understand how some of you guys can draw the c8nclusion that this has combat similar to FFXV. Because it's realtime? By what we've seen so far, it could be just as close to Devil May Cry or God of War. No telling at this point.

Relativ9

It's timed. Probably out on Xbox about a year later. They should announce FFVIIR on Xbox soon, that should give you an idea of how long it lasts.
Personally I'm getting a PS5 anyway so it's fine. Just not a fan of third party franchises that used to be multiplat going exluaive; screws over their existing fans on other platforms.

Oh well, at least it's not a linear story that's being taken away (with each FF being a new story/world).

Thabass

I enjoy just toiling and making gil, supporting friends, etc.. Haven't touched "Endgame content" in like 4 years.

Yeah, I hear you. I want to get into doing that stuff too. So there's more to do than just raiding and doing the main game loop.

Hard to say now.
I also really love Final Fantasy XV, and it is actually one of the best Final Fantasy games I've ever played, and I've played them all.

It seems that Final Fantasy XVI take the main action combat system from Final Fantasy XV.
(and I really liked that action combat system)
But for the most of the other aspects, we can only make some suggestions or hypothesis, for now.
(since we don't know if Final Fantasy XVI will be an openworld game, or not, and we have only had with this trailer just a little glimpse of what will be, probably, a little part of the entire game, in the end)

And for more info about this, it seems that we'll will must wait at least the next year.
(even if I hope that some info can coming even before the end of the year)
I mean the combat looks great to and I am also fairly certain that it will be openworld. However, the characters seemed a little generic to to me. Contrast this with FFXV where i dont know why but characters seemed lively and unique.

BRZBlue

Can someone explain to me why some people think this game has western game aesthetics?

People on twitter are complaining that even the characters are clearly all white people, and I'm looking at them like "...do you know what an epicanthal fold is? Do you see how many of these characters have that?" Someone even told me that Cloud looks like a scrawny white boy.

EDIT Crap, meant to combine these. Sorry for the double-post. Anyway I can delete this?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
medieval IS fantasy. like quite literally, those are the roots of classical and high fantasy. dungeons. wizards. alchemy. all these were based on current culture of the time as well as old European folklore. many "wizards" were alchemists who traveled around gathering folk stories and lore. alchemist codified belief in Elementals, the idea of beings that were tied to certain elements, which is still quite prominent in the FF summons lore. Shiva as ice goddess is very much in line with the alchemical legends of Elementals. the same names like "undine", "sylphs", "gnomes", "salamanders" often show up in JRPGs.

1h1eiZc.jpg

imo Japan just really excells at cultural syncretism. after their culture was destroyed by The Bomb they had to largely rebuild from scratch, and i think this is where they get their love for international culture. you don't see many Western companies making games based on Eastern myths, but the entire world is obsessed with Western high fantasy. FF as a series has always balanced traditional Western high fantasy with their own unique stuff to varying degrees. i remember after FFII when FFIII came out with Magitek armor and the emphasis on a more steampunk aesthetic. they chased it for a few more entries before rebooting to a classical fantasy with IX. this in a way almost feels like one of those "genre reboots".

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Guys so If I loved FF15 (never played any other FF), will I love this as well? How will this be diff from ff15?
I think its a safe bet from what we seen so far.

Real time action combat, should be vastly improved over FFXV, even DMC designers are working on this the open world should be improved as well compared to FFXV and not as rushed, and the main characters even look a little like Noctis, the writting will be different but much better realized without the baggage of Versus XIII reboot development

The main difference is if you like the realistic 'modern day' world of FFXV vs the medieval fantasy we have seen so far

Last edited:

Mojo1990

i suggest you can try play it to taste it yourself :messenger_beaming: there still lot of time before xvi release.

eitherway lot of XIV staff is those who work with ivalice game include since FF Tactics

Not just Yoshi-P, but Heavensward writer also fans of his. His writing is influence alot by Matsuno.

there is thread made on reddit on how matsuno influenced these guy and xiv

and yasumi matsuno apparently 'accidently' revealed that Maehiro is the writer for XVI. He denied the the involvement though.
(the tweet already deleted)
oWoVvN0.png

My faith in FF16 has been restored.
Thank you for this post!

I look forward to next year.

Mojo1990

medieval IS fantasy. like quite literally, those are the roots of classical and high fantasy. dungeons. wizards. alchemy. all these were based on current culture of the time as well as old European folklore. many "wizards" were alchemists who traveled around gathering folk stories and lore. alchemist codified belief in Elementals, the idea of beings that were tied to certain elements, which is still quite prominent in the FF summons lore. Shiva as ice goddess is very much in line with the alchemical legends of Elementals. the same names like "undine", "sylphs", "gnomes", "salamanders" often show up in JRPGs.

1h1eiZc.jpg

imo Japan just really excells at cultural syncretism. after their culture was destroyed by The Bomb they had to largely rebuild from scratch, and i think this is where they get their love for international culture. you don't see many Western companies making games based on Eastern myths, but the entire world is obsessed with Western high fantasy. FF as a series has always balanced traditional Western high fantasy with their own unique stuff to varying degrees. i remember after FFII when FFIII came out with Magitek armor and the emphasis on a more steampunk aesthetic. they chased it for a few more entries before rebooting to a classical fantasy with IX. this in a way almost feels like one of those "genre reboots".

Excellent post.

Also the Ancient dieties of India, aspects of Buddhism and Semitic/Hebraic (Biblical) references too. Not to forget the Northern Arabian influences.

I just love how the Japanese syncretise all these beautiful aspects into their games.

Lethal01

I don't understand how some of you guys can draw the c8nclusion that this has combat similar to FFXV. Because it's realtime? By what we've seen so far, it could be just as close to Devil May Cry or God of War. No telling at this point.

I'm sure it will be a very different system but it's similar in that it generally plays totally like an action game .

Kimahri

Banned
I'm sure it will be a very different system but it's similar in that it generally plays totally like an action game .

That means nothing though. That's like saying onimusha is similar to battletoads because they play totally like action games.

Teslerum

Excellent post.

Also the Ancient dieties of India, aspects of Buddhism and Semitic/Hebraic (Biblical) references too. Not to forget the Northern Arabian influences.

I just love how the Japanese syncretise all these beautiful aspects into their games.

Pretty much. The only bad thing about it is when you get edgy teenagers+ taking that in and think it gives them thoughtful opinions about said cultures and beliefs.

I've been too often in lighthearted discussions about japanese games and media when suddenly someone turns super-serious and begins to drop a random statement about something and the moment you try to correct them its *NO I KNOW EVERYTHING*.

Prime example, because Persona is so popular, is sadly Megaten. Which I absolutely love for the hotpot that it is. But please, for the love of all, don't base your opinions on it.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

So all you FFXIV fans who heard Masayoshi Soken in the music, might not have been imagining it. Hopefully he's composing pieces for the full game and not just the trailer.

Lethal01

1h1eiZc.jpg

Medieval times may be what tons of fantasy is based on but just being Medieval doesn't automatically make you fantasy.

You can have a medieval setting where nothing really impossible happens, you don't need magic or monsters to have Knights fighting a war.

When people say it's not fantasy enough they mean there aren't enough unrealistic, impossible things being integrated into the world it'self, no floating castles or flying boats. Yeah it's still got fantasy things like monsters and summons but people are saying they want more.

FF7 for example is way more fantasy even before you include any magic or monsters because a huge potion of it is based around a city that couldn't exist and then everything inside and outside that city literally runs on magic.

But it seems people forget what the fi in scifi stands for

(only going from the trailer and this could totally change next time we see it)

Last edited:

BRZBlue

Medieval times may be what tons of fantasy is based on but just being Medieval doesn't automatically make you fantasy.

You can have a medieval setting where nothing really impossible happens, you don't need magic or monsters to have Knights fighting a war.

When people say it's not fantasy enough they mean there aren't enough unrealistic, impossible things being integrated into the world it'self, no floating castles or flying boats. Yeah it's still got fantasy things like monsters and summons but people are saying they want more.

FF7 for example is way more fantasy even before you include any magic or monsters because a huge potion of it is based around a city that couldn't exist and then everything inside and outside that city literally runs on magic.

But it seems people forget what the fi in scifi stands for

(only going from the trailer and this could totally change next time we see it)

Lord of the Rings is considered the quintessential Fantasy setting. There's no floating castles or flying boats in that. There are several monsters in the trailer alone, we have people basically summoning and controlling powerful supernatural creatures. We have them using magic. Its fantasy. I don't know when "fantasy" turned into "two lesbian summons that turn into a motorcycle". Its not that it isn't "Fantasy" enough, its that it isn't "weird" enough for some people.

Lethal01

Lord of the Rings is considered the quintessential Fantasy setting. There's no floating castles or flying boats in that. There are several monsters in the trailer alone, we have people basically summoning and controlling powerful supernatural creatures. We have them using magic. Its fantasy. I don't know when "fantasy" turned into "two lesbian summons that turn into a motorcycle". Its not that it isn't "Fantasy" enough, its that it isn't "weird" enough for some people.

No, I'm not saying it's "not fantasty" at all, I'm saying they yes if there were more fantastical elements it would be objectively "More fantasy"

An no just being medieval doesn't make you fantasy. Lord of the Ring has tons of fantasy things in it along with it's medieval setting. It's fantasy because it's in a made up world with made up people, but if that world is just like the real world it's less fantastical.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

No, I'm not saying it's "not fantasty" at all, I'm saying they yes if there were more fantastical elements it would be objectively "More fantasy"

An no just being medieval doesn't make you fantasy. Lord of the Ring has tons of fantasy things in it allong with it's medieval setting.

So FFXVI is at least as "Fantasy" as Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons... That's pretty fantasy.

Lethal01

So FFXVI is at least as "Fantasy" as Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons... That's pretty fantasy.

Oh totally, I'm just saying medieval doesn't make you more fantasy. the most common setting for fantasy but being in this setting doesn't automatically make it a fantasy story..

It's just less Fantasy than the series has gone before even in none medieval settings, Some people are happy it's less fantasy and wanted a more grounded medieval game for ages, that's great.

Last edited:

Myths

What’s all this brouhaha about?

It looks as inspired and “fantasy” as any other FF before it, and we’ve yet to see everything else in the world anyhow. There was a line mentioning two realms, maybe all the floating castles, moon systems, and shattered crystal geysers are there. Who knows.

It’s always semantics, and reminds me of the classification of a WRPG/JRPG. Best to stick to the type of mechanics the game uses.

Man this slaps. I can't wait for full soundtrack releass.

Orchestral music does not slap. Ever.

As far as it goes, its not the most boring orchestral music ever, but hard to tell from one piece if the whole soundtrack will be boring or what. FFX's soundtrack still so memorable.

I've heard too many boring mainly orchestral soundtracks to games recently. Ratchet & Clank's use of more orchestral style music since PS3 just has always irked me in general. David Bergeaud's electronic-orchestra-breakbeat style was much more fitting for the atmosphere of the series I think. (and it was simply much more interesting music period)

Lethal01

As far as it goes, its not the most boring orchestral music ever, but hard to tell from one piece if the whole soundtrack will be boring or what. FFX's soundtrack still so memorable.

I've heard too many boring mainly orchestral soundtracks to games recently. Ratchet & Clank's use of more orchestral style music since PS3 just has always irked me in general. David Bergeaud's electronic-orchestra-breakbeat style was much more fitting for the atmosphere of the series I think. (and it was simply much more interesting music period)

Orchestral Music will never not slap. Our live are 10 thousand years to short to get tired of it.

Bryank75

Banned

I understand your sentiment about R&C. I disagree with Orchestral music not slapping though.

BRZBlue

I think I remember like 3 pieces of music from X. TBH, the trailer music is more memorable to me that even many of Uematsu's themes.

I understand your sentiment about R&C. I disagree with Orchestral music not slapping though.

I produce hiphop/trap music as a hobby - orchestral music by itself doesnt 'slap', atleast not in a modern sense. Orchestral music maybe it'll hit you more emotionally, which I think is the quality where it shines most (if used effectively), but saying orchestral music slaps in the modern sense of a musical composition 'slapping'.. it simply does not.

Where is the bass that is supposedly slapping me? Those timpani's and lower brass instruments arent doing it for me.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I produce hiphop/trap music as a hobby - orchestral music by itself doesnt 'slap', atleast not in a modern sense. Orchestral music maybe it'll hit you more emotionally, which I think is the quality where it shines most (if used effectively), but saying orchestral music slaps in the modern sense of a musical composition 'slapping'.. it simply does not.

Where is the bass that is supposedly slapping me? Those timpani's and lower brass instruments arent doing it for me.
I get what you mean.

Yep. To Zanarkand, Suteki Da Ne, and the ending "goodbye" theme. That's about it for me.

Always stood out to me. Catchy little guitar riff.

Also, while completely strange for a FF game, this was interesting:

^^^ I get so much more of a vibe from this stuff than typical orchestral music. Really sets an atmosphere.

Last edited:
I'm glad Square Enix managed to announce Final Fantasy XVI this year instead of waiting. I think the writing will be a highlight of this entry and I'm interested to see what they will reveal in subsequent trailers. We definitely need to see other party members. The party is a staple for any RPG, especially Final Fantasy.

BRZBlue

Always stood out to me. Catchy little guitar riff.

Also, while completely strange for a FF game, this was interesting:

^^^ I get so much more of a vibe from this stuff than typical orchestral music. Really sets an atmosphere.

Then we have stuff like this from XIV.

FF has a lot of different musical styles. Those tend to be the more memorable.

Or my personal favorite from XIV

Last edited:
This is going to be a great game.
  • Looks to be the darkest and most brutal Final Fantasy to date
  • The combat looks like DMC. Should be similar to what FFXV tried to do, but better executed. That sounds good to me.
  • The story is centered around the summons (similar to FFX), and the summons are the coolest thing about Final Fantasy, so that's promising.
  • The team working on this game has a very strong track record in recent years and knows their priorities.
  • The younger version of the main character looks kinda lame (mainly the hairstyle), but the grown up version looks cool. I hope we play most of the game with him, which looks to be the case considering the trailer starts and ends showing him.
  • Considering this is from the FFXIV team, we can expect an open-world type of experience
  • The music at the end of the trailer gives me chills

All in all, I think this looks to be a great direction for the series, especially since the ongoing FFVII Remake series will basically provide the other main style of Final Fantasy for the time being. I enjoy both styles if they're done well (whether it's something like FF7/FFX or something like FF9/FF12).

Yeah I agree 100%

This is the most hyped I've been for Final Fantasy since the PS2 Era.

This looks to be a masterpiece and really bring the series forward to appealing more to western audiences. I loved FF7R too, but this seems even better. I don't really like the over the top anime style that FF series has had for two gens.

Kumomeme

I liked what I saw but it feels like they showed me already half the story of the game .. .
if you played xiv then you know it would be not that simple. Heavensward for example also has revenge theme but apparently the reality is not that simple black and white. There highly chances this writed by same person.

People might be confused as for more than decade we get a final fantasy by people like toriyama, nomura and nojima but this time what we get is different since the 'lineage' of developers that make this game come from different branch. They is those who come from Yasumi Matsuno's and Ivalice game. How they do things is different. Which is probably why i see lot of people kind of shock to see the game tone, design and aesthetic is way different than what we 'used' to see this past decade.

Last edited:

laynelane

I guess I am the only one happy about everything I saw? Lol
Love the medieval setting, live the FF14 like designs, love the FF15 ish battle system, live that summons will play a big role.

I haven't been this excited for a FF game in a long time. The summons, setting, combat, enemy designs, etc. look great and I can't wait to discover the story.

I'm glad Square Enix managed to announce Final Fantasy XVI this year instead of waiting. I think the writing will be a highlight of this entry and I'm interested to see what they will reveal in subsequent trailers. We definitely need to see other party members. The party is a staple for any RPG, especially Final Fantasy.

Square Enix contributed quite a bit this year. Some would say they saved us from the corona.

Top Bottom