• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

D.Final

Banned
If Final Fantasy XVI is going to be a great Final Fantasy game, just like Final Fantasy XV (that I loved), it will be surely awesome.

Take the awesome and fun action gameplay from Final Fantasy XV, and mix them with a plot clearly inspired from FFXIV, I think that is truly a nice catch

Last edited:

Flyinmunky

Few thoughts...

* Like the setting and music
* Battle system looks fun and animated quite well.
* Animation during cut scenes with characters talking/ interacting looks very stiff/unnatural. Hope this can be improved.

Unlike graphics which are easier to improve with each gen or engine upgrade etc i'm worried about animation more these days.

Better graphics just make poor facial / body animation stand out even more to me.

Hope developers focus in improving this area.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I really appreciate how lowkey this feels for the series. Less is more. The gameplay & plot shown is a good sign all their focus is going there. Graphics have taken a back seat, but thats fine imo.

Hoping for 2021.

Kumomeme

Isn't it more likely to be an upgraded engine of FFXIV? it could be UE4, but it doesn't seem to have that Unreal Engine style to it.
an upgraded FFXIV engine is makesense especially considering they also probably has plan on upgrading XIV visual(hopefully) but on other site there people keep saying XIV always use crystal tools LOL.

Myths

Yep. I doubt that the engine been 'missing' for almost a generation then suddenly return and it better? No way that simple. If it true, then make me wonder why square bother to throw money on luminous engine development since they can salvaged Crystal tools like this at first place. Lot of things not add up.
Exactly. It would be a major financial oversight to invest in yet again an engine which had been designed far too specific in its capabilities, particularly for FNC. At least, not when Luminous Engine has been marketed as their next gen engine (and could be used) as well as UE4 and other licensed engines.
Isn't it more likely to be an upgraded engine of FFXIV? it could be UE4, but it doesn't seem to have that Unreal Engine style to it.
Crystal Tools 2.0 for the Windows version? Maybe. I can’t see this being the case when XV runs on Windows using Luminous. It would seem the easier option all-around with the latter having sensible software documentation and optimized workflow.

Most teams moved over to using Luminous Engine, the purpose of Luminous to accommodate next generation platforms (including PC) with appropriate tech. Crystal Tools is highly specialized (part of the reason why when Nomura was director for Versus XIII, there were technical obstacles they were unsure how to approach or solve) and wouldn’t scale past 360/PS3, that’s why Luminous Engine is here. So far, it’s supported SE for last gen and this next gen.

mejin

Exclusive for 6 months is a new one.

Although it didn't impress me visually I have faith FFXIV team will make a compelling game with nice story, characters and music. Can't fuckn wait.

Exclusive for 6 months is a new one.

Although it didn't impress me visually I have faith FFXIV team will make a compelling game with nice story, characters and music. Can't fuckn wait.
A few character models were subpar, but every thing else looked good.

caffeware

Banned
Yep. I doubt that the engine been 'missing' for almost a generation then suddenly return and it better? No way that simple. If it true, then make me wonder why square bother to throw money on luminous engine development since they can salvaged Crystal tools like this at first place. Lot of things not add up.
They are most likely using whatever engine they use for ff xiv. This is what people meant by saying "they are using Crystal Tools", as that was its original name, if I'm not mistaken.
This will also explain why the game looks current gen.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Technically I wasn't impressed because it looked like FF online but the combat? Hot damn!

I am happy that a certain person is not on this project

BRZBlue

They are most likely using whatever engine they use for ff xiv. This is what people meant by saying "they are using Crystal Tools", as that was it's original name, if I'm not mistaken.

It was Crystal Tools in 1.0. After ARR they had a custom version of Luminous designed that allows for more crowd density (aka for an MMO). So basically FFXV and FFXIV uses branches of the same engine for different purposes.

Last edited:

mejin

Except it's not.

a friend from ERA told me PC version comes after 6 months and the rest will get it after 12 months. I thought it was a pacified subject, but if it is false, I apologize. It is not something that bothers me anyway.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
a friend from ERA told me PC version comes after 6 months and the rest will get it after 12 months. I thought it was a pacified subject, but if it is false, I apologize. It is not something that bothers me anyway.
I meant that it's not new.

Kumomeme

okay the hype is to much , need some sokken music to quench that

any recomendation to banger sountracks ff14 players?

if you dont mind some spoiler of recent patch
Vocalist is Jason C Millers (Rules of Nature, Redsun, Shadowbringers theme singer)

or you want something from Heavensward since it made by same key staff and has similliar vibe

ishgard city theme

imagine if the title screen has this vibe

knowing soken, his music will be variation of main theme (the second music in XVI trailer perhaps?), together with other memorable ff melody like the prelude so we can expect lot of variation there, and even probably different phase music like in VIIR
that guy can be wild. his primal fight ost can go completely metal.

Well, assuming if he indeed involved with this game.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

They are most likely using whatever engine they use for ff xiv. This is what people meant by saying "they are using Crystal Tools", as that was it's original name, if I'm not mistaken.
its different engine that share similliarities with luminous. If anything else, it makesense if they called it Luminous sibling or whatever than crystal tools that they ditched since it cause lot of trouble.

Silvawuff

I dunno how to feel about this, especially in the wake of FFVIIR. I finally finished FFXII for the first time a few months ago and thought the story was a real dog turd, so this politics/intrigue bit has me a touch worried for this one.

I guess we'll find out in 5 years.

BTW if this is like FFXIV's recent story and structure, it'll be a real winner. Shadowbringers solo experience was excellent, and could easily stand on its own as a mainline FF title.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Looks more impressive. As FFXV did...and look what a shitty game it ended being. I know in which team people should put their expectations.
FF XV was awesome. Can't wait for you to copy paste the same replies you always copy paste to communicate your rage towards the game.

SkylineRKR

I am fully on board. I love XIV, I like Yoshi-P's approach. I also like DD and DMC. I think this will be an FF with actual good real time combat. And the style is more my cup of tea than the Nomura/Toriyama games. I like what I see. The XIV and XII feels are there and those are the 2 best of the last 15 years.

Last edited:
Trailer for this looked sub-par.

It beat the "let's watch a slow Dark Souls trailer where it's painfully apparent how slow the walking speed is and how stiff the animations are", but it was still underwhelming and made me wish for a fast-forward button.

Breakage

Looks like a bunch of boring RPG clichés cobbled together. I was hoping Square-Enix would do something radically different. The world and characters of FFX were unusual compared to other FF games. It [FFX] isn't my favourite FF, but it stands out. Everything since has sort of felt like a rehash of previous FF games. This game seems to continue the trend.

I'm expecting early 2023. I'd like to be wrong, but 2022 is when I expect FF7Re2 to come out,
based on interviews that we won't be waiting too long. I doubt SQE will want to release 2 major titles in the same year.

Mojo1990

Developers showing pre rendered cutscenes not representative of actual gameplay: Oh fuck the devs its just CG, no gameplay, fuck off.

Developers listening to fans and showing early gameplay and cutscenes with missing features and polish: Omg it looks so bad, remember back in the day, that FF13 trailer was aaaaamaziiing.

People are so weird. I'm sure its gonna be cross gen though. Would be dumb of square not to do that.
It looks very much NES era FF. I really like the more colorful styles of FF7 or FF9 but maybe this will grow on me. For now its just that I am not used to the look.
Combat looks really good so far, especially knowing who is behind it. Interesting that its a one man army so far.

Really looking forward to see more of the game to learn more about the setting and its story.

You've made a good point. I've never really stopped to consider the impact that CGI alone has had on my first impressions of a video game.

Myths

Did they not abandon the Crystal Tools?
Yes. I don’t know why the name of this engine keeps resurfacing unless there’s yet another proprietary off-shoot or version in the works beside Luminous.

One might argue it looks like FFXIV as an artistic choice no less than one would argue the style of Ivalice games. Same or similar staffing can, will, and have done this.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So it’s console exclusive for a year? And PS5 exclusive for 6 months?

Playstation console exclusive so PS4 may get it too.

Then it will release on PC. No exact date is known, 6-12 months is just the most reasonable guess.

BRZBlue

Listen to the trailer music. If that's not Soken's style, then I don't know who it is.

The latter part of the trailer with the chorus part sounds exactly like his stuff, as does the traditional Uematsu score done in different styles that he does a lot in XIV too. I just want confirmation before I get my hopes up, LOL.

Thabass

The latter part of the trailer with the chorus part sounds exactly like his stuff, as does the traditional Uematsu score done in different styles that he does a lot in XIV too. I just want confirmation before I get my hopes up, LOL.

It's BD3's team. It's Soken.

YukiOnna

I'm expecting early 2023. I'd like to be wrong, but 2022 is when I expect FF7Re2 to come out,
based on interviews that we won't be waiting too long. I doubt SQE will want to release 2 major titles in the same year.
Looking like FFXVI will come first. FFVIIR-2 only started recently according to them.

Fuz

Banned
if you dont mind some spoiler of recent patch
Vocalist is Jason C Millers (Rules of Nature, Redsun, Shadowbringers theme singer)

or you want something from Heavensward since it made by same key staff and has similliar vibe

ishgard city theme

imagine if the title screen has this vibe

knowing soken, his music will be variation of main theme (the second music in XVI trailer perhaps?), together with other memorable ff melody like the prelude so we can expect lot of variation there, and even probably different phase music like in VIIR
that guy can be wild. his primal fight ost can go completely metal.

Well, assuming if he indeed involved with this game.

WHERE'S MY RAVE TOWER?

Channeling nomura here

I'm beginning to wonder if there's some bait and switch, "the legacy of the crystals has shaped our history for long enough".
They may not just be referring to events in game, but the role of crystals in Final Fantasy.
What if FFXVI actually a deconstruction of Final Fantasy packaged as a classic?
Last boss is the monster form of the crystals, representing legacy of FF.
You kill it, shattering the continuity of themes in FF forever.

Last edited:
Channeling nomura here

I'm beginning to wonder if there's some bait and switch, "the legacy of the crystals has shaped our history for long enough".
They may not just be referring to events in game, but the role of crystals in Final Fantasy.
What if FFXVI actually a deconstruction of Final Fantasy packaged as a classic?
Last boss is the monster form of the crystals, representing legacy of FF.
You kill it, shattering the continuity of themes in FF forever.

It could actually be cool if the antagonists are the crystal bearers and you're the normal humans' resistance using people with innate summon abilities to fight back

Anki

Banned
I am not digging the art style, looks too medieval? I was hoping for some fantasy setting. Oh well i will still play it.

Lokaum D+

So, maybe we ll have a class system ?
output6dc8fee816833484.gif

source.gif

I can see a warrior, gladiator and redmage right here

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Former 5th Division (now BD3) has been working on this project since 2016. So it'd be the standard 4-5 years AAA Game length for a 2022 release.

JFM0Ege.jpg

Lokaum D+

Looks small and simple.
As far as I can tell, the franchise is heavily damaged, as there hasn't been a good single player FF game after FF10.

I'll be honest, the trailer didn't impress me.
FFXIV is a amazing experience, one of the best FF out there, i have to agree that after FF10 we didnt have any good single player experience, but since FF16 looks strongly influenced by 14 i m more then hyped at the moment.

Top Bottom