• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

Myths

Something about the main character's design pays homage to Squall's design, now that I look at his appearance and sword. Just the way he attacks and wields the sword, I can already see Squall being swapped in.
Well, looking at that second gif I should say.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I can't watch this trailer without my eyes getting glazed. The fucking music. The creatures. The crystals. The medieval.

This is the sequel to FF3 I've wanted.

Dear Square, Final Fantasy.

I forgive you. I accept your apology.

This is what FF is supposed to be like.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So, maybe we ll have a class system ?
output6dc8fee816833484.gif

source.gif

I can see a warrior, gladiator and redmage right here
I hope so. What I see is one class with multiple summons being used for special moves: Garuda, Phoenix, Titan.

KiteGr

FFXIV is a amazing experience, one of the best FF out there, i have to agree that after FF10 we didnt have any good single player experience, but since FF16 looks strongly influenced by 14 i m more then hyped at the moment.
Actually it's quite the opposite. FF14 was a disaster of epic proportions, even worse than all the recent bad single player FF games. They've just dumped a ton of money and remade it from scratch into the decent MMO you play today.

For me personally, the online FF games don't even count. I wasn't given the chance to play FF11 when it came out (requiring PS2 online that wasn't as widely available then), and since you can't be playing more than one MMO at a time, by the time FF14 released it's non-trash edition, I was way into Guild Wars 2 and haven't looked back since.

EdKeen

Neo Member
Has been mentioned by others ITT, but it's giving me Game of Thrones + Ivalice (particularly Tactics and Vagrant Story) vibes. The voice acting sounds really good, and I like that the characters look mature, with subtle design flairs, and not overgrown J-pop tweens (I love J-pop, but the aesthetic that's been dominating FF since Nomura took over much of the character design is exhausting.)

All in all, it feels like a good return to high fantasy, but I'm still taking a wait-and-see approach.

justAjohn

Remembering bombastic trailers but lacklustre gameplay experience of past Final Fantasies (13, 15) I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. The dialogue indicates some political stuff, which would be nice if done to the extent of FFT. Dragon´s Dogma is my game of the decade so if they improve upon that (so many spells and their effects, jobs as vocations, FF monsters given new life etc...) then I will be very happy. I am not that big on graphics but the one thing that bothered me was lightning. Even as a layman I think they should work on the lightning because it doen´t look that bad, but just looks off. Also if they take some notes on how FF 15 did darkness in dungeons, that would be great.

YukiOnna

I think it was a better approach to do this and show a ready looking game and you understand what it's about than edit a snazzy 2 minute trailer with flashes and spoilers from mid-late game that wouldn't make sense, but look cool. Especially with the current state of Single Player FF's announcement to release.

SilentUser

Well, despite the lackluster reveal, they still have time to improve those graphics by a lot. The story seems interesting, so the fundamentals could be pretty good.

Brazen

Great setting. Premise seems interesting. Helmed by a team that is likely to deliver a actual adventure. Still financed by the dubious SE shareholders. Will it be a good game? Will it be a good Final Fantasy? This time I'll find out sometime after it's release. Yet I'll continue to hold out hope.

Last edited:

Fbh

Timed console exclusive, also coming to XB?

Probably.
Third party exclusives for big games are basically a thing of the past.
Unless a Sony first party studio is developing it, it's almost guaranteed to be a timed exclusive

Why the graphics look poor

Worse than 15 imo

I think they finally realized that focusing so much on visuals was hurting the franchise.
XIII looked amazing but had no towns, almost no NPC's, no real dungeons and the level design for like 80% of the game is almost literally a narrow straight line from point A to B.
XV looked great but was lacking in almost every other area, bad combat, terrible unfinished story, big areas with mostly just bland MMO style quests, some of the worst boss battles in mainline franchise history, etc.

If this time around they focus on all the other parts (combat, story, locations, level design, towns, sidequests) at the cost of great visuals then I'm absolutely fine with it. Bonus points if it's also 60fps.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

For me personally, the online FF games don't even count. I wasn't given the chance to play FF11 when it came out (requiring PS2 online that wasn't as widely available then), and since you can't be playing more than one MMO at a time, by the time FF14 released it's non-trash edition, I was way into Guild Wars 2 and haven't looked back since.

Yeah no. "Dumping money" into a game does not make it better. Whats funny is that FFXIV is basically on par or better than some of the classic "best" games in the series. But keep saying that.
EZeS2Nx.png

EZeS2Nx.png

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Will give it a chance. Not too happy about the action game combat. FF has now become the Tales franchise. Would much rather it played turn based while moving around the battlefield like the Coldsteel games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Myths

I can't watch this trailer without my eyes getting glazed. The fucking music. The creatures. The crystals. The medieval.

This is the sequel to FF3 I've wanted.

Dear Square, Final Fantasy.

I forgive you. I accept your apology.

This is what FF is supposed to be like.
You should’ve seen how I was going on about FF3 prior to this reveal the other day. That FF3 DS trailer is one of the best opening scenes of all FFs. I can’t pick between it and FF4 DS.

NeoLed

That kinda gameplay looks jarring in such a context.
Imagine if during Lord of The Rings Aragorn jumped 20 feet in the air and dropped an Atomic Fire AOE 65 hit combo all over the orcs.
Medieval context? In Elder Scrolls role, the slow advancement of technology in that world was caused by the convenience of magic

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Dunno, in a FF context it makes perfect sense.

It doesn't, not even in FFXII we had the warrior going "medieval" on the enemies' ass. The limit break is one thing, the combat having aerial explosive chain combo is quite jarring indeed.
This is the ultimate combo for the guy that looks like Meg Ryan and is dressed like a goof

Japanese games always seem imagined by teens, happy microsoft doesnt waste their money on them. RE even struggles with it from time to time with their characters.

NeoLed

It doesn't, not even in FFXII we had the warrior going "medieval" on the enemies' ass. The limit break is one thing, the combat having aerial explosive chain combo is quite jarring indeed.
This is the ultimate combo for the guy that looks like Meg Ryan and is dressed like a goof

Sabin suplex a train tho

YukiOnna

You're talking about their movement, right? I just don't feel it. Over the course of these games, especially recent ones or even XIV, I've seen wild maneuvers that's not humanly possible in the first place even outside Limit Breaks- there's been plenty of silly shit. It just doesn't stick out as out of place in FF.

fury

Yeah no. "Dumping money" into a game does not make it better. Whats funny is that FFXIV is basically on par or better than some of the classic "best" games in the series. But keep saying that.
EZeS2Nx.png

EZeS2Nx.png

He's not wrong though. The original FF14 was universally panned. It wasn't until A Realm Reborn that people considered it a good game.

EDMIX

Looking like FFXVI will come first. FFVIIR-2 only started recently according to them.

Maybe. Consider FFXVI is a new title, though its been in development for some time, its still a new title with concepts that might still need to be worked out, where FFVII remake part 2 is a existing concept with a title already out, an engine already out etc. If I where to put money on it, I'd say FFVII remake part 2 has a bigger chance of coming out before FFXVI. Remember, it states 2021 is for more news.

Madflavor

God some people have such an unhealthy obsession with graphics. Square's obsession with Graphical Fidelty ended up hurting XIII and XV, and most likely contributed to why it took so goddamn long for them to come out, especially with XV (yes I know XV also went through development hell and multiple changes). At least XVI looks like it may come out within the next couple years. Maybe that's because the team behind the game is well organized, and focused on telling a good story and a fun game, rather than prioritizing "ZOMG Look at the pretty colors! Those shadows! That lighting!"

FFVII:R, while for the most part looked pretty damn good, had plenty of moments where the textures and background looked awful. But goddamn was the the most fun I've had with a Final Fantasy game since FFX.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

He's not wrong though. The original FF14 was universally panned. It wasn't until A Realm Reborn that people considered it a good game.
The implication is that "well any game can be good if you just spend a lot of money on it." Which... isn't true. People like to point to 1.0 and say "well XIV is crap" when ARR was basically created by essentially a different team. Its all a bit disingenuous to try and belittle the quality of work that's been done on the game. Why? Heck if I know. There's this weird undercurrent with a lot of FF fans that the MMO's somehow took up resources for singleplayer games, when it reality the MMO's have been the only things making money for long periods.

Illo

God some people have such an unhealthy obsession with graphics. Square's obsession with Graphical Fidelty ended up hurting XIII and XV, and most likely contributed to why it took so goddamn long for them to come out, especially with XV (yes I know XV also went through development hell and multiple changes). At least XVI looks like it may come out within the next couple years. Maybe that's because the team behind the game is well organized, and focused on telling a good story and a fun game, rather than prioritizing "ZOMG Look at the pretty colors! Those shadows! That lighting!"

FFVII:R, while for the most part looked pretty damn good, had plenty of moments where the textures and background looked awful. But goddamn was the the most fun I've had with a Final Fantasy game since FFX.

XV/13-Versus's development hell came from being a small passion project that kept losing people working on the project because of 13 trilogy. Was in a full development push for a half a year, Nomura then asked for a trilogy but was told no after fan reception of the 13 trilogy and demand for no more direct sequels, regardless of listing the speculated reasons, Nomura was asked to step down to focus work on KH3 and to let Tabata step in as the lead. Tabata takes reins and the game releases 3 years after that.

In reality FFXV (the game we have now) took 3-4 years to complete which is pretty average for the industry. And going off rumors FFXVI was in development since 2017, finising all its initial development and entering into full development last year, which is still in line of the industry average assuming a 2021 release.

Even FF7 Remake was announced before any real work was done or actually started in 2015. The game came out this year which is 5 years, but a part of that was Nomura being split between 7 and KH3. Not to mention the DLC and mobile game.

The focus on graphics/fidelty isn't the problem. A lot of Square's changes of last gen was because of a huge corporate change in 2013.
I'm sure the game will look drastically better with the next trailer we see. Square Enix games are always working on the models of the characters as it grows closer to release, just look at the models of XV and FF7:Re characters as it approached closer to release. Always improving subtly.

EctoPrime

The game looks like a mixture of FF14, 15 and it could just be a coincidence but also A Plague Tale. The game could end up being vastly different though considering only a single trailer has been released.

YukiOnna

The focus on graphics/fidelty isn't the problem. A lot of Square's changes of last gen was because of a huge corporate change in 2013.
I'm sure the game will look drastically better with the next trailer we see. Square Enix games are always working on the models of the characters as it grows closer to release, just look at the models of XV and FF7:Re characters as it approached closer to release. Always improving subtly.
It definitely was a problem though as it's plagued them since the PS360 era. It was at the forefront of the 13 and XV saga's marketing, which was only one of the many issues. From pushing their need of new engine which had its own problems and then the 13 saga where all they ever talked about was the graphics and trying to keep up with the industry.

Kumomeme

Actually it's quite the opposite. FF14 was a disaster of epic proportions, even worse than all the recent bad single player FF games. They've just dumped a ton of money and remade it from scratch into the decent MMO you play today.

did you not played XIV since then? XIV 1.0 indeed disaster but XIV 2.0 onward especially the expansions is different. When people talk about XIV, they talk about 2.0 onward, not the 1.0 disasster. If you didnt, i suggest you take a look. Currently there free trial that cover base game and main expansion( lv 1-60). Base game, ARR can be bit slot but expansion onward especially Heavensward and Shadowbringers is amazing. Current XIV is not same at 1.0 XIV. It handled by different team, different engine and Heavensward lead is the one handled XVI.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im replaying FFXV and it is getting me more hyped. holy crap i didn't know about the offroad vehicle! this is a game changer! thank you Cindy!

XV is a good game, it just had a troubled development. you see a lot of it's problems (camera system, combat) cleaned up and fixed in FVIIR, so i feel very confident in their ability to do this.

really excited for this. XV was a modern take on FF, VIIR was a 90s steampunk take, it is good to have more classical fantasy. with these next gen graphics, i think this is truly going to be a game to remember.

Garnox

I'm hoping that maybe later parts of the game will introduced more mystical/magical fantasy, if that makes sense. Maybe something more akin to what XIV showcases.

From what we saw it looked more high fantasy???

I'm definitely digging the non sci-fi aesthetic, but hope they don't swing too far the other way.

FFIX is my favorite for reference.

Edit: I'm using terms incorrectly. I'm sure somebody else said it better already who shares the same sentiment.

Last edited:

Yoboman

So Yoshi P is basically a massive Matsuno fanboy

That makes me so hyped

How does his FFXIV stuff match up to Matsuno's work?

Top Bottom