• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII confirmed for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeke

well this blows way to go sony lose one of your big time games to MS. So much for Final fantasy being a system seller in the US.

Looks like FF13 is a PS3 exclusive in Japan....isn't that where the most damage of FF13 could potentially be done? It's huge in Japan.

Looks like Sony kept FF13 exclusive for Japan because it will matter more to the PS3 in that region than exclusivity would have meant in US/EU.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Console warz was started by the SDF claiming how shit MS' conferrence was until this announcement. You should learn to keep a better poker face.

The MS hate on this forum has been pretty disgusting since this whole "PS3 08" shit started. E3 has changed that big time. I think some people need to deal with it better.

:lol Yeah, because I expected you to think any differently.

Yeah, only the SDF would think MS was having a completely boring, snooze worthy conference until the end.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The end of an era. Nobody is safe from MS's deep pockets. Sony doesn't seem all too aggressive to keep titles exclusive on the other hand.
Ah well, when it comes down to it, gamers win.

nib95 said:
Star Ocean is not an exclusive. Notice how no mention of timed exclusive or exclusive was mentioned at all at the conference like the other games. Last Remnant is a timed exclusive and Infinite Undiscovery an exclusive.

I think what it boils down to, is that Microsoft paid top dollar for all this. I wouldn't even be surprised if they paid well over $50 million.

lets pull figures out from nowhere.

Fanboys...:lol

Quazar said:
Glad you got it all figured out. Maybe buying all these exclusives will move more 360s than PS3s. Because we know how bad 360 software / hardware #'s are compared to the almighty PS3.

It doesn't have to be about moving 360's. It could be about hampering the PS3. I'm sure there are 360 owners out there who were going to jump into the PS3 once this game hit. They won't have to now.

I was asleep when the megaton was dropped, but after I woke up and got back from my morning run, this thread was sitting there on the front page of GAF :)

I'll read through it for the sweet, rich, smooth, creamy fanboy meltdowns later (seriously, they're so delicious, I swear they must be fattening). But I will say this:

Ethelred, I was right :)

1stStrike

Banned
I love all the betrayal and drama in here. This is like the gaming version of a soap opera.

Mark: Eric..how could you?!

Eric: What?!

Mark: I SAW YOU AND MY PSP TOGETHER LAST NIGHT!

Eric: No, it's not what you think!

Mark: Don't deny it! I know the truth! I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!

Eric: *cries* Please Mark..forgive me! I-it'll never happen again!

Mark: No, I just can't. The betrayal runs too deep. I don't think I can see you anymore. Please, go. Just go.

Eric: *runs out of the room crying*

Barrett2

Oh god, I just remembered Shane Bettenhausen's prediction last week that Bungie would be the dev to announce multi-plat development this week!! I can't wait to see how he spins this! :lol :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't see why this is such a "megaton" announcment, really. The fact that they can even port the game over with ease at all means it probably wasn't maximizing it's use of the PS3 (whatever the hell that even means) anyways.

In my eyes, it probably means the game isn't anything to crap your pants over in the first place, just like every Final Fantasy game since 7.

I don't get why people are getting their panties in a knot about this... I mean, really?

You act like Square-Enix is killing your first born or something. It makes sense financially. More people get to play it. What's the big deal?

LowParry

Welp, I think I'm done with this thread. Full of awesome. Thanks guys! Off to watch the EA conference now! PLEASE show me some WAR!

nib95 said:
Star Ocean is not an exclusive. Notice how no mention of timed exclusive or exclusive was mentioned at all at the conference like the other games
What about the recruitment listings, which mentioned it was Xbox360 exclusive?

Quazar

Fenderputty said:
It doesn't have to be about moving 360's. It could be about hampering the PS3. I'm sure there are 360 owners out there who were going to jump into the PS3 once this game hit. They won't have to now.

Well, I'm glad you could detect my shitty sarcasm. This isn't about any of that shit. It's about SE selling a shit load of software due to the 360 fanbase in NA/EU.

Quazar said:
Pretty much.

Gee there must be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more SDF members in this forum than we have previously predicted. Because almost everyone was laughing their asses off during the conference.

I bet many xbox fans are SDF's secret agents too!

Private Hoffman said:
Looks like FF13 is a PS3 exclusive in Japan....isn't that where the most damage of FF13 could potentially be done? It's huge in Japan.

Looks like Sony kept FF13 exclusive for Japan because it will matter more to the PS3 in that region than exclusivity would have meant in US/EU.

Releasing the game on the 360 in Japan wouldn't have that big of an effect anyway. 360 sales are pretty low there. Most people would probably still get a PS3 to play the game. Where this really hurts Sony is in NA and EU.

This is a fucking HUGE slip up. I can't believe they let this happen.

Private Hoffman said:

Hehe I like how you see the glass half full when it's almost empty.

Shouta said:
As far as I can tell, PS3 JP version first then possibly PS3/360 version in English together but not quite sure yet.

This is what's happening, according to the info we got. Still PS3 exclusive in Japan, but releasing day-and-date in the West.

Haunted One said:
What's this PC talk?

Like all console games, it's still just running on PCs at this stage and they haven't even started doing whatever optimizations or changes are needed to move it specifically to 360 (or even PS3, as far as I can tell.)

Y2Kev said:
SHUT UP CONSOLE WARRIOR DOUCHETWISTERS

HAMUAUZUUUU

HAVE MY BABIES HAMAUZU

Catchpenny said:
Countdown until the usual suspects start hyping Versus as the better Final Fantasy experience...

Nervous Hamster said:
FFXIII on Xbox 360 means nothing. And IMO Versus XIII looks much more interesting.

:lol

a1m said:
Square Enix claims the game is still far too early in development to reveal (or even speculate at) a release date, though the company did reveal their current work schedule: First, the company will finish the Japanese PlayStation 3 version, which will then be localized for North America and Europe.

Once that’s completed, work will begin on the Xbox 360 version.

Nope, wrong. The PS3 version and 360 version will come out the same day in US and the same day in EU (though those won't necessarily be the same day). This is unambiguous.

Roxas said:
Should've seen this one coming considering Square-Enix were holding their press conference right after Microsofts.

Yeah. I also saw it coming when Wada came on stage the first time but then I got pwned by him leaving -- should've held out! :D

fortified_concept said:
Gee there must be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more SDF in this forum than we have previously predicted. Because almost everyone was laughing at the conference.

Yeah, I never agree with f_c but he's right on this. The gameplay stuff at the beginning (F3, Gears, RE5) was great but all for old games; the Wii/Home/EyeToy ripoff stuff was just fucking embarrassing.

0 HP

when you go multi-plat
form
, you go multi-plat
inum

i just said this to square enix a little over a month ago

Fenderputty said:
Releasing the game on the 360 in Japan wouldn't have that big of an effect anyway. 360 sales are pretty low there. Most people would probably still get a PS3 to play the game. Where this really hurts Sony is in NA and EU.

This is a fucking HUGE slip up. I can't believe they let this happen.

I think you're missing the point:

FF13 seems to be the one PS3 game Japanese gamers are waiting on.

Let me remind you that the PS3 is also doing poorly in Japan. It hasn't runaway with anything in that country yet.

360 sales are low but the price is right, they're getting a lot of exclusive RPG content -- FF13 could have pushed Japanese gamers over the top to go with 360 rather than the PS3.

FF13 being PS3 exclusive in Japan is really a lost opportunity for Microsoft and if there's anything to mitigate the damage that has been done by this announcement, then PS3 exclsuivity in Japan is it.

Quazar

fortified_concept said:
Gee there must be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more SDF members in this forum than we have previously predicted. Because almost everyone was laughing their asses off during the conference.

You're catching on.

123rl

It's only Monday and E3 has delivered the goods already :D Grow up and live with the fact that games cost lots of money. Finance takes priority over customer loyalty, fanboyism, and the console wars. Exclusive games don't make sense financially so there will be fewer and fewer in the future. Sony fans still get to play it. Microsoft fans get to play it on the same day. Multiformat gamers will get the best version. Nobody is actually losing here. If it was going exclusive to the 360 then I could understand the anger but what is the problem here?

This isn't going to work, is it? I should just say "Fuck you for stealing my dreams, Microsoft!"

Quazar said:
Well, I'm glad you could detect my shitty sarcasm. This isn't about any of that shit. It's about SE selling a shit load of software due to the 360 fanbase in NA/EU.

Its definitely good for MS, Square and Gamer's (who aren't latched to Sony's peen).

Not so much so for Sony though :lol

I still can't believe Sony let this happen. Will this gen forever be remembered as the death of the 3rd party exclusive?

Anyway, I'm expecting another Square megaton at E3...

Kingom Hearts for the Wii.

I'd love to see it on the PS3...but my gut reaction tells me this is Wii exclusive.

Kildace

fortified_concept said:

Eh. The whole part starting with at the movies and ending with that dreadful singer whose name I can't even remember was shit. The game trailers were good, we got a first look at in-game RE5, the GoW2 part ruled, Banjo was nice and notwithstanding avatars I thought that the new dashboard and the "game show" thing were both a step in the right direction to attract casuals.
Seeing people say that it was worse than the Sony '06 conference left me boggled to be honest. Without the FF13 announcement it certainly wouldn't have been the best conference ever but it'd still have been an OK conference and far from a disaster.

Snaku

Banned
b65w6d.jpg

We're not just doing this for money.

50fm88.jpg

We're not?

b65w6d.jpg

We're doing it for a shit load of money!

Private Hoffman said:
I think you're missing the point:

FF13 seems to be the one PS3 game Japanese gamers are waiting on.

Let me remind you that the PS3 is also doing poorly in Japan. It hasn't runaway with anything in that country yet.

360 sales are low but the price is right, they're getting a lot of exclusive RPG content -- FF13 could have pushed Japanese gamers over the top to go with 360 rather than the PS3.

FF13 being PS3 exclusive in Japan is really a lost opportunity for Microsoft and if there's anything to mitigate the damage that has been done by this announcement, then PS3 exclsuivity in Japan is it.

That makes sense. Its Sony's one saving grace in all of this. Still ... ooooopsie Sony made.

Man ... gotta give mad props to MS though. They've really put a lot of effort into making their console's games varied. Who would have though the 360 would be the RPG console of choice right now?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Private Hoffman said:
Anyway, I'm expecting another Square megaton at E3...

Kingom Hearts for the Wii.

I'd love to see it on the PS3...but my gut reaction tells me this is Wii exclusive.

I have the same feeling.

rykomatsu

so atleast from my perspective, it sounds like the megaton announcement isn't that it's going multiplat to 360, but rather, that US gamers have to wait x months for 360 dev to start and finish to get a simultaneous US PS360 release (which will be what..a year+?) instead of having a global simultaneous release?

then again, this news doesn't really affect me :p haven't been a fan of FF since 5 or 6 anyways lol...which was around the time i discovered niche games :)

e-gamer

BocoDragon said:
I actually don't think it's fanboyish if you are a shocked PS3 owner right now. Many PS3 owners bought the machine because of the promised exclusive games for it. Now that these games are no longer exclusive, you might feel that you wasted a lot of money.

A true fanboy just bought a PS3 because it was called "Playstation" or "Sony"... but someone who bought a PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII is a legitimate consumer, and they might feel legitimately betrayed right now.

But come on... grow up, accept it.. and stop with the damage control!

IMO, that would happen any time. We are talking about games and square, MS, Nintendo, Sony and others talking about money, sells, stocks....

el Diablo

Banned
The funny thing is that even if the PS3 flops horribly and ends up a distant third this gen due to countless and repeatedly poor management decisions (don't worry everyone loves GOW3 ZOMG THEY'LL BUY 10 CONSOLES IT'LL SAVE US!!!). If Blu-ray ends up becoming the true successor to DVD, the console will be considered a huge success to Sony. The loss the gaming division takes will take will be a drop in the hat compared to the profits they'll make on BD royalties over the next 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom