• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII confirmed for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaz

It would make absolutely no business sense whatsoever for SE to shelve a completed PS3 FF XIII while they port the game over to the 360. That is unless, of course, MS has been making some wire transfers to SE recently. :D

It's more likely a Bioshock-type of situation. Either way, big fat hairy deal. Relax geeks.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
dabig2 said:
Okay, honest question. Did Sony piss off SE at some point?

Star Ocean 4: 360 exclusive

Last Remnant: originally announced as a simultaneous PS3/360 in both Japan and North America. Now it's just 360 for this year while being simultaneously released in Japan, North America and Europe

Infinite Undiscovery: 360 exclusive and releasing simultaneous in all regions in the fall

FF13- we all know what went on there...

Dont you understand ?

Square-Enix is a business, they are in it for the money. In the end it will all be multiplatform, and they will get even more money this way by attracting even more gamers. :lol

hauton

Has it been confirmed that 360 will release day and date with PS3? Like in the form of a PR release or video with Wada saying that?

Because I've heard both sides on this, and other topics. It seems like there are a few translation errors floating out there.

a1m said:
Fuck you SE, fuck you.

cartman_tears.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nolan. said:
The thing is if they start showing new stuff again I think it might not do good for the longterm. I mean Ms seems to have taken the stance of only ever showing games they are almost certain will make it within the year. Sony seems all about ''date unknown but here is what you can have some day''. Which is better I don't know. Though if you keep showing new things in advance and they take a while to come it's going to have consequences. People are going to keep expecting to see new things all the time.

It's easy to accuse them because of the Sony London games, in particular, but it's not universally true. A lot of Sony stuff is announced closer to release than that, sometimes very close (e.g. Siren, as a recent example).

ari

Banned
gofreak said:
In the first collection of games, it was great.

But precious few new exclusives (outside of the XBLA stuff) were announced. Portal was their biggie, really. Mix that with the presentation quality, and people wanted to be put out of their misery in the conference thread. Until wada-am-bomb-droppen, of course ;)
But that was the usual suspects, Go through the thread again. It was not MS fanboys calling bail out.

zoku88

I think Shouta is more correct. 360 has had its dev kits out longer than any other system. Therefore, it would make sense that it would get more games.

It's not just business, look at the 3rd party software sales in Japan and see which systems 3rd party software sells the best on.

Spurs_Fan

Neo Member
while i myself dont really care for this announcement (never got into rpgs) at least more people will be able to enjoy FF13
one thing i will say tho is that i can safely assume that all this developer talk about how game x can only be done on console x is complete bs. When i ready that from developers i translate it to "Game X can be done On both X and Y consoles, but we are just waiting for console Y to fork over the cash to start development" meh maybe its just me:D

dabig2 said:

Last Remnant: originally announced as a simultaneous PS3/360 in both Japan and North America. Now it's just 360 for this year while being simultaneously released in Japan, North America and Europe

Infinite Undiscovery: 360 exclusive and releasing simultaneous in all regions in the fall

Serious moneyhats that's all. Btw SO4 isn't exclusive afaik.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ugh, durf, guys. It was a translation error. It will be developed simultaneously. Really, come on. Think about it. They also said they are "ready to begin developing" in the IGN interview. It's just lost in translation.

oh yeah, Im pissed though that the 360 version will mean the ps3 version is delayed in Europe etc... SE has fecked up this gen I think. There output has been poor

BobLoblaw

Banned
gregor7777 said:
It's all about the money man. 360 ownerss buy games in droves. That's all there is to it.

Game companies want game sales.
This. That's why I'm sure the next Dragon Quest will either be for the DS/Wii or another PS3/360 release. SE gets no benefit in making a game like FF13 exclusive to the PS3 when it has the smallest user base. The ROI is much greater between the PS3/360. Personally, I haven't played a FF game since 7, but I might give this one a try.

nelsonroyale said:
oh yeah, Im pissed though that the 360 version will mean the ps3 version is delayed in Europe etc... SE has fecked up this gen I think. There output has been poor

So poor that you and everyone else will buy this game anyway when it comes out later. And the 360-only owners will buy it also.

TheBranca18 said:
Hey console warz shitheads, stop it. This thread is about my poor FFXIII :(

Console warz was started by the SDF claiming how shit MS' conferrence was until this announcement. You should learn to keep a better poker face.

The MS hate on this forum has been pretty disgusting since this whole "PS3 08" shit started. E3 has changed that big time. I think some people need to deal with it better.

KTallguy said:
WTF no way :lol

:lol Yeah, because I expected you to think any differently.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
BobLoblaw said:
This. That's why I'm sure the next Dragon Quest will either be for the DS/Wii or another PS3/360 release. SE gets no benefit in making a game like FF13 exclusive to the PS3 when it has the smallest user base. The ROI is much greater between the PS3/360. Personally, I haven't played a FF game since 7, but I might give this one a try.

Just a small correction- there is no way in hell PS3/360 gets the next mainline DQ game.

This info is amazing, FFXIII was the game that would make me buy a PS3. Now if only they hadn't announced LittleBigPlanet since then I'd never have to get one.

Also that trailer is astounding. WOW. SERIOUSLY

hauton

What confuses me is that "Available at launch in North America and Europe".

What the hell does that even mean, "available at launch"?

"Available for 360 on NA/EU debut" would make sense, but it seems like Microsoft/SE are hiding something.

nib95

Banned
dabig2 said:

Star Ocean is not an exclusive. Notice how no mention of timed exclusive or exclusive was mentioned at all at the conference like the other games. Last Remnant is a timed exclusive and Infinite Undiscovery an exclusive.

I think what it boils down to, is that Microsoft paid top dollar for all this. I wouldn't even be surprised if they paid well over $50 million.

zoku88

hauton said:

"Available for 360 on NA/EU debut" would make sense, but it seems like Microsoft/SE are hiding something.
I don't see... anything strange about that, actually...

el Diablo

Banned
dabig2 said:

Yes $599 and whatever yen it launched at in Japan.

Seriously though, Squeenix repeatedly questioned what direction Sony was going with the PS3 in terms of marketing publicly since they weren't billing it as a game device but as a multimedia hub. The fact that Sony continued on that path along with the absolutely pathetic sales made Squeenix's decision simple.

nib95 said:
Star Ocean is not an exclusive. Notice how no mention of timed exclusive or exclusive was mentioned at all at the conference like the other games. Last Remnant is a timed exclusive and Infinite Undiscovery an exclusive.

I think what it boils down to, is that Microsoft paid top dollar for all this. I wouldn't even be surprised if they paid well over $50 million.
What? No. Tri-Ace themselves said, due to 360 experience they started with SO4 development for 360, so there you go. Thank BluRay, Cell and MS being first for that.

Muffdraul

hauton said:

I assume they were trying to say that FFXIII would launch on PS3 and 360 in NA and EU at the same time. But then they seemed to backpeddal from that, so...

FUCK. Will somebody put what they said at the SE conference about it being PS3 only in Japan and then simulatensous 360/PS3 in EU/USA in the OP or something?!

It's simple
JAPANESE PS3-ONLY RELEASE FIRST
SIMULTANEOUS 360/PS3 RELEASE IN EUROPE/USA SOMETIME LATER

Fuck.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ogni-XR21 said:
Wow I wasn't expecting this, but from a business standpoint it was fairly obvious.
Considering how much money they poured into the Crystal Tools set and FFXIII's development budget, it was the only choice.

hauton

zoku88 said:
I don't see... anything strange about that, actually...
?

"Available at launch"... as opposed to "unavailable at launch"?

That wording is weird, at least it is to me. Maybe it's a translation error, maybe it means something else.

I'm sick of all this fine print though. Last Remnant for example is a definite timed exclusive.

FrankT

hauton said:

1:01 - They are "ready to start" developing FF XIII. So first they will complete the PS3 version in Japan, then start a localization for the US and Europe while they start development on the 360 version.

1:03 - The PS3 and the 360 versions will be released simultaneously in the US and Europe, but not Japan

http://games.ign.com/articles/889/889001p1.html

Not too confusing at all. Per the SE conference, pretty easy to understand. Pretty hard to mistranslate day and date for both in the US and Europe. They are day and date in the US and Europe.

Deku

Banned
yoopoo said:
If the game was moneyhatted then it would be released in Japan too - Square simply looked at the low PS3 hardware and software sales and made the decision.

What kind of a dumb ass company would not like to get max sales from their software. Gotta be a fanboy developer to do something like that.

Well this saves them to embrassment of having FFXIII bomb like the spectacular disappointments of the Gundam Musou games which were NamBan's planned new franchise for the PS3.

It's been pretty clear that somethign would have to give. Either PS3 sales take off exponentially or the game goes multiplatform.

It is however a rather bleak state of affairs when a game going multiplatform is hailed as a megaton. This isn't even in the same league as Sony getting FFVII exclusively. But it sort of shows how stalemated and bloody the battle for the HD 2nd place trophy is.

That said, as a 360/Wii owner, that pretty much puts off my PS3 purchase into the 'will buy when I want to' category.

a1m

Banned
APZonerunner said:
FUCK. Will somebody put what they said at the SE conference about it being PS3 only in Japan and then simulatensous 360/PS3 in EU/USA in the OP or something?!

It's simple
JAPANESE PS3-ONLY RELEASE FIRST
SIMULTANEOUS 360/PS3 RELEASE IN EUROPE/USA SOMETIME LATER

Fuck.

This one?

Square Enix claims the game is still far too early in development to reveal (or even speculate at) a release date, though the company did reveal their current work schedule: First, the company will finish the Japanese PlayStation 3 version, which will then be localized for North America and Europe.

Once that’s completed, work will begin on the Xbox 360 version.

1:01 - They are "ready to start" developing FF XIII. So first they will complete the PS3 version in Japan, then start a localization for the US and Europe while they start development on the 360 version.

1:03 - The PS3 and the 360 versions will be released simultaneously in the US and Europe, but not Japan.

Busty

Banned
gregor7777 said:
I'm married, her pic is in the Post pics - do it thread lol. I'm sure comments like I quoted are doing really well for you in that department.

I'm sorry. But that sentence just blew my mind.

gregor7777 said:
yeah, I think I got you right on the first shot.

WOW. A man that posts pictures of his wife ......on NeoGAF for everyone to fawn over is going to judge me?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

What a strange little man you are Gregor.

But let's not tarnish this thread further with such nonsense.

Reply if you like but I won't be bothering to read it.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Quazar

nib95 said:

Glad you got it all figured out. Maybe buying all these exclusives will move more 360s than PS3s. Because we know how bad 360 software / hardware #'s are compared to the almighty PS3.

Mmmkay

TekunoRobby said:
Considering how much money they poured into the Crystal Tools set and FFXIII's development budget, it was the only choice.
I felt a bit sad staring at all the nice CGI in the new trailer and thinking "how the hell can this game ever be profitable". I blame Pachter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom