• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 Sony Exclusive Rumor 👀

Felessan

That’s not at all how it works lol. We are consumers because we purchase these consumer products. You’re a consumer even if you don’t buy a product. This move is anti consumer, because now you don’t have a choice of where to play the game when you otherwise would have.
Asking for money is anti-consumer as well. It's directly deny some people to be able play the game. But guesss what - it will not stop most companies to ask money gor their games. And those who do not - will implement monetization schemes that are anti-consumer as well.
Consumers are not always right - they just have some negotiating power, and thats all. Otherwise they will go into length to directly harm companies to get benefits for themselves and themselves only in expense of companies well-being.

REE Machine

Banned
Depends on what you like. If you like strategy games then there's no better platform. If you like CRPGs, there's obviously no better platform. If you like shooters, there can be argument whether you like mouse + keyboard or controller as input method. If you like immersive sims (Mainly the stuff from Looking Glass Studios), PC is the only option there. If you like fighting games, you're probably better off with a console. If you like JRPGs, you're probably better off with a console (although that seems to change), etc.

But PC has a lot of very high quality games that are exclusive to that platform. Especially if you look at older stuff, most of which are still very playable today.
Lol nah trash

Please be set in Ivalice.

Probably just timed like FFVII Remake.

Not even Sony would be scumbag enough to have a FF game 100% exclusive.
These are the sort of timed/full-on 3rd party exclusives that make no sense other than pure, unadulterated greed. SquareEnix is not hurting for cash, they have more than enough money (and infrastructure) to fund & develop a new mainline FF of their own volition. Nothing here is any different from when Microsoft purchased timed exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider, also ironically a SquareEnix-published game.

It's like SquareEnix are competing with EA for title of Scummiest 3rd Party Publisher. There's not really much reason to lock 3rd-party content to a platform these days especially if the publisher is more than capable of funding the project themselves. It's not like the old days of SNES/MegaDrive etc. where the system architectures were just completely different and that alone might've demanded versions of games for one platform be totally different or cut out content to save cartridge space (as one example).

Also both Microsoft and Sony could potentially take this too far and be liable to a lawsuit for monopolistic anti-competitive business practices, Sony moreso ATM seeing what they are doing with SpiderMan (a character they don't even own). Though, a company hasn't actually been tried and found guilty of that since Nintendo in 1991 so... 🤷‍♂️ ...

Lol. Why do people get so butthurt over exclusives? I'd actually prefer a world where games were made for a specific console. I don't see it as being anti consumer, I think it's just part of the decision making on what console or consoles to buy. I don't understand crying and demanding a game be released on your console.

Birdo

Banned
Why do people get so butthurt over exclusives? I'd actually prefer a world where games were made for a specific console. I don't see it as being anti consumer, I think it's just part of the decision making on what console or consoles to buy. I don't understand crying and demanding a game be released on your console.

Final Fantasy has been a multiplatform franchise for generations.

It's a little unfair to hold an instalment behind specific hardware. This is why people get upset.

It's a little unfair to hold an instalment behind specific hardware. This is why people get upset.

I might have a bad memory, but wasn't XII a PS2 game? XI and XIV are MMOs so they're a bit different. That That just leaves XIII and spin-offs and XV. The last 2 mainline single player FFs. I suppose it's technically generations, but it's only two games.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Would be great if Sony invest money on their own original ip like Legend of Dragoon

Instead of moneyhating multiplat game that couldve been enjoyed by everyone

Just a suggestion

Last edited:

Hudo

Lol. Why do people get so butthurt over exclusives? I'd actually prefer a world where games were made for a specific console. I don't see it as being anti consumer, I think it's just part of the decision making on what console or consoles to buy. I don't understand crying and demanding a game be released on your console.
Third-party exclusives shouldn't be a thing anymore, especially from a company the size of Square Enix. If Sony wants a (J)RPG themselves they have the money and the talent to make their own awesome game and the industry would be better off for it, IMHO. Instead of wasting money on timed exclusivity of franchises Sony don't own anyway, why not invest money in the long-term by developing your own stuff? I think that would make PlayStation much more valuable, if Sony would finally invest in diversifying their first-party stuff.

CrysisFreak

Banned

It started as a Nintendo franchise, then effectively became a PlayStation franchise, then it went multiplat but still heavily focused on PlayStation.

KingT731

Interestingly, there are more Final Fantasy games on Xbox One than there are on PS4 (Due to BC).
Yea they came with GamePass so we will never know the actual engagement for those titles.

I might have a bad memory, but wasn't XII a PS2 game? XI and XIV are MMOs so they're a bit different. That That just leaves XIII and spin-offs and XV. The last 2 mainline single player FFs. I suppose it's technically generations, but it's only two games.
If we go by launching at the same time...there's 13, 13-2, Lightning Returns

Edit: 13 was the only one that sold respectably and that was 2009 which was the height of the 360.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

On the one hand, this could be pretty huge news. On the other hand, when was the last time a new mainline FF game was actually good?

Getting harder to be excited for the franchise, man.

KiteGr

Even if they have a Temporary exclusivity deal with a platform I don't own (I lean towards PS5 anyway)
I'm going to wait for "the Complete Edition" regardless.

The brand is worth little for me ATM.
FF10 was unfinished, but at least it didn't show it, and was engaging.
FF11 was inaccessible in my continent.
FF12 was a snorefest I never managed to finish, despite multiple attempts and editions.
FF13 removed most of it's gameplay leaving only some automated combat and a story hidden in encyclopedias.
FF14 was a disaster. They've got it better by throwing money at it, but I'm a GW2 player now and I have no plans to jump on another MMO.
FF15 was very obviously unfinished, and sold in a million pieces and formats.

FF16 will most likely:
  • sold in episodes (each fully priced$)...
  • with tons of preorder and publisher exclusive DLCs.
  • It will be Woke, with the only politically incorrect aspect being some mud in organized religion or something...
  • also toothless, with all blood and violence replaced with sparks and bruises...
  • with the most important plot points in DLC
  • the rest of the plot on some Mobile shit.
  • and to understand the plot you'll have to watch/read/buy 3 movies, 2 anime series, 2 manga series and 10 novels and a Radio Drama in Japanese.
I no longer have faith on this series!

Last edited:

manfestival

considering how trash ff15, 12, and 13 were.... they can keep it exclusive. The only recent saving grace was 14. I don't even consider ff7r cause it is a remake of an already proven product AND it isn't even finished.

Third-party exclusives shouldn't be a thing anymore, especially from a company the size of Square Enix. If Sony wants a (J)RPG themselves they have the money and the talent to make their own awesome game and the industry would be better off for it, IMHO. Instead of wasting money on timed exclusivity of franchises Sony don't own anyway, why not invest money in the long-term by developing your own stuff? I think that would make PlayStation much more valuable, if Sony would finally invest in diversifying their first-party stuff.
Sony should do that, and so should Microsoft. I'm not taking sides. I want them to both have strong exclusive titles because it's better for gaming overall. But making their own games are one thing, and having Final Fantasy are another.

I'm not really seeing third-party exclusives not being a thing anymore as a good thing. Think about the complaint a lot of PC gamers had that consoles held back games. Would third-party studios even be able to make game with SSds in mind when it's still not universal on PC? I'm not a game dev, so I don't know the answer for that, but I've always felt that games released on all platforms are a watered down version of that they could have been.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

Yeah, I think the only exception would be if something was previously announced as cross platform and then got 'taken away'. Consumers should make every decision with their eyes open.

Hudo

Sony should do that, and so should Microsoft. I'm not taking sides. I want them to both have strong exclusive titles because it's better for gaming overall. But making their own games are one thing, and having Final Fantasy are another.

I'm not really seeing third-party exclusives not being a thing anymore as a good thing. Think about the complaint a lot of PC gamers had that consoles held back games. Would third-party studios even be able to make game with SSds in mind when it's still not universal on PC? I'm not a game dev, so I don't know the answer for that, but I've always felt that games released on all platforms are a watered down version of that they could have been.
I can see your point with regards to that but I think that's exactly what first-party games are there for, to push and showcase what technology can do, so the rest of the industry (if that technology is worthwhile) can adopt that (including PCs and vice-versa). You are correct that third-partys are somewhat bound to develop for the "lowest common demoninator" because they want the biggest reach possible. I guess the question then rather should be whether big third-party franchises, like Final Fantasy, should be exclusive to one platform and I think that would be an ill-advised decision. Final Fantasy is Square's biggest IP (well, maybe in Japan Dragon Quest is rather then FF), so having FF on as many platforms as possible would be more beneficial to brand recognition and sales than to have it exclusive to one platform since there's so much money involved nowadays. But it is also a bit of a balance act because you also don't want your premier franchise, like FF, be on a Smartphone that could barely run it. FF is also used to showcase what Square "can do", in that sense. So I guess the ultimate answer is: It depends on the current environment of the platforms. And right now, there're at least two other platforms equal (or even more capable) of what PlayStation 4 (and 5) can do: PC and Xbox.

However, I think that third-party exclusives can be a viable tool to kickstart a new IP by using the marketing machine of the platform holder in order to alleviate the "risk" of doing an "AAA" game based on a new IP. And subsequent sequels can then go multiplatform.

Sorry for the "wall of text". I just wanted to make clear that I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I guess.

Myths

It started as a Nintendo franchise, then effectively became a PlayStation franchise, then it went multiplat but still heavily focused on PlayStation.
While it was under PS1, it also had a Windows platform port shortly following each release of 7, 8, and 9. Sony forgot about that part.

Algorum

Neo Member
I’m still waiting for the FF7R to come out on PC and didn’t 15 do great numbers as a multi platform title?

None of these business tactics make sense to me but if FF16 turns into the jrpg juggernaut of the next generation who knows really.

They really need to switch it up for the next installment but if the rumors of Naoki Yoshida working on it are true... then there is truly light at the end of the tunnel.

And I expect a finished product this time. No excuses.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I’m still waiting for the FF7R to come out on PC and didn’t 15 do great numbers as a multi platform title?

None of these business tactics make sense to me but if FF16 turns into the jrpg juggernaut of the next generation who knows really.

They really need to switch it up for the next installment but if the rumors of Naoki Yoshida working on it are true... then there is truly light at the end of the tunnel.

And I expect a finished product this time. No excuses.
After FFVIIR i don't expect a finished product. And i'm pretty sure they will be using the pandemic situation as an excuse.And honestly that will be a good excuse for any shortcomings regarding FFXVI.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Interestingly, there are more Final Fantasy games on Xbox One than there are on PS4 (Due to BC).

FF7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 12, 14, 15 are all on PS4 as PS4 games. 13 is available through PS Now. Plus spinoffs like Dissidia.

Last edited:

EDMIX

You're telling yourself you don't want to persuade me, yet at the same time that's what you're attempting to do.

I'm not going to continue this. Since you're stubbon and set on having the last word and I'm going to let you have it.

? Not trying to convince you to like anything bud. I hate many games that move over 9 million units as its not like i'm on here talking about Fortnite, Fifa, Call Of Duty, Madden etc.

You, me or anyone else hating a IP doesn't change the fact that its important to millions.

Thats it.

Top Bottom