• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 17-23 | Nintendoes what Capcan't

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You're the first person I've come across that hates it.

It's an anime that deals with a lot of contemporary societal problems on a grand scale
child soldiers, corrupt leadership, rape, etc.
. It's clearly not based in reality but the themes and topics that it presents serves as a wake-up call, in many ways, for what's happening in our own world. It's got a great narrative and it's one of those 1984-type dystopia stories that I could write an essay about. The very basic concept of the story can seem silly, yes, but, in depth, it is greatly conceived and brilliantly developed.
Topics and themes are fine. Removing both the main protagonist and main antagonist from the show's own laws of physics then randomly adjusting it elsewhere for plot convenience in a show that's supposed to construct drama about such things is not. It's like saying "SEE? Anime can be adult!" while overlooking that the storytelling is shit because you're too enamored.

What makes you say that? Not that agree or don't. I probably need to see the archive
Just look at the results. Dieminion has a piece of crap team for Joe and places. Viewtiful Joe has excellent screen control and mobility, has among the best defensive tools in the game, has absurd mix-ups, and is small. Hell, Dieminion doesn't even know how to use 1/3 of his team. His Dr. Strange is terrible, and his Morrigan is unsupported.

The best Viewtiful Joe I ever played used Mystic Ray assist. Goddamn Voomerangs are frustrating when you can't even jump over them.

FChamp playing his Dorm/Morrigan/Phoenix team. The twist? He's using Phoenix on point.
Works great against teams without anti-airs, but gets slaughtered otherwise. That's how I played the team in Vanilla. Jam Session is by far the hardest to deal with.

Dahbomb

So we looking at results now? Morrigan/Doom/Vergil best characters in the game. Zero, Strider and Viper worse than Joe.

The more Dieminion wins the more support there is for people thinking Morrigan is broken. At least ChrisG wins with Missiles and Vergil.. Dieminion wins with solo Morrigan plays and an unoptimized Joe team!

CapCops coming for you now.
DeLorean_Launch_zpsc6369131.gif

Just a carry over from the previous thread. Not really a remark on the performance.

And FChamp's Morrigan is looking crispier now.
You think he'll actually use Morrigan and Dormammu together at EVO? I like his chances better with that than with Phoenix.

Champ's Dormammu really is on another level. I wish I were that smooth with my air movement.

So we looking at results now? Morrigan/Doom/Vergil best characters in the game. Zero, Strider and Viper worse than Joe.

The more Dieminion wins the more support there is for people thinking Morrigan is broken. At least ChrisG wins with Missiles and Vergil.. Dieminion wins with solo Morrigan plays and an unoptimized Joe team!
I'm not talking about tournament results, I'm talking about match results. Viewtiful Joe does 80% of that team's lifting.

Sayah

Topics and themes are fine. Removing both the main protagonist and main antagonist from the show's own laws of physics then randomly adjusting it elsewhere for plot convenience in a show that's supposed to construct drama about such things is not. It's like saying "SEE? Anime can be adult!" while overlooking that the storytelling is shit because you're too enamored.

That transportation from one world to the other is just a very basic concept, though. And it all happens in the very first episode. The initial concept, as I said, may seem silly but the remaining anime is full of quality. It's also not just done for plot convenience. The initial premise and the remaining story could have also been done within the same world if the writers chose. If you look at an anime like Gurren Lagann, the protagonist is also escaping from one world and entering another. It's not breaking any laws of physics. NaT,Hat could have also just as easily featured two very disparate worlds within "one" world. Breaking the laws of physics is not what matters. That's just an initial concept to get the story going.

Dahbomb

I'm not talking about tournament results, I'm talking about match results. Viewtiful Joe does 80% of that team's lifting.
Not in that grand finals which Die just won. All 3 characters pulled near equal weight as Joe died early in all but one of the matches of the GF set. Let's also not underestimate the free meter he gets from the assist allowing him to get random Six Machine into SoV kills or even happy birthdays. Anytime someone wasted XF against him early it was an auto win for him because of Morrigan at the back.

Not in that grand finals which Die just won. All 3 characters pulled near equal weight as Joe died early in all but one of the matches of the GF set. Let's also not underestimate the free meter he gets from the assist allowing him to get random Six Machine into SoV kills or even happy birthdays. Anytime someone wasted XF against him early it was an auto win for him because of Morrigan at the back.
Morrigan is roughly in the same tier of anchor as Dormammu, IMO. Maybe a little higher, but still under Arthur.

I wish I could share all of my team tech with Champ. :-(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That transportation from one world to the other is just a very basic concept, though. And it all happens in the very first episode. The initial concept, as I said, may seem silly but the remaining anime is full of quality. It's also not just done for plot convenience. The initial premise and the remaining story could have also been done within the same world if the writers chose. If you look at an anime like Gurren Lagann, the protagonist is also escaping from one world and entering another. It's not breaking any laws of physics. NaT,Hat could have also just as easily featured two very disparate worlds within "one" world. Breaking the laws of physics is not what matters. That's just an initial concept to get the story going.
I said the show's laws of physics. It's established that transportation and shit works there, so I'm not complaining about that. I'm complaining about how stuff that affects everything else in the cast doesn't affect those two. Shu? Kid can smash anything with his magic wooden stick then fall 50 stories and walk it off. Anyone else would die as a statement of bleak futility. Hamdo? Can't be hurt no matter how incompetent he is(a would-be assassin suddenly has shit aim at 20 feet too), and the only thing that ever does break through his plot armor is that same wooden stick. Other instances of contrivance exist like Shu suddenly having the pendant again at random as well as the ship suddenly deciding that water damages it instead of not like before.

Shit like that.

PSA: do not pushblock Purification.

Champ is not abusing that meter enough. There should be random Chaotic Flames and Stalking Flares once he gets close to 5 bars. Morrigan earns it back in a heartbeat.

The two OVAs are actually unrelated. OVA1 then movies is one continuity, and TV then OVA2 is another.

Yep, but the plot is roughly similar and the content is pretty analogous. Massive chunks of both series are just isolated plot arcs, though the OVAs did have an overarching plot thread. Less differentiation between the two than the Tenchi OVA/Series

Just don't watch the third movie because... yikes.

Just look at the results. Dieminion has a piece of crap team for Joe and places. Viewtiful Joe has excellent screen control and mobility, has among the best defensive tools in the game, has absurd mix-ups, and is small. Hell, Dieminion doesn't even know how to use 1/3 of his team. His Dr. Strange is terrible, and his Morrigan is unsupported.

Dieminion's team is a much better team than people give credit for. Bolts is pretty much the best assist possible for Joe, there's not a lot of assist that helps both Joe's zoning + rushdown as much as Bolts can. It's the assist for box jump characters, and Joe's box jump with pizza cutter is terrific. People keep talking about how he should use Doom but missiles helps Joe's zoning but not his rushdown as much as Bolts can.

And it's nonsense to say that his Morrigan is unsupported; his Strange is there to SoV -> DHC into Astral Vision which you can't do much to stop. With Joe on point with DH his Morrigan is almost always well stocked with meter. Nowdays his Morrigan does more work than his Joe, look at his win at Toryuken. Goa killed his Joe everytime but had no idea how to deal with Morrigan + Bolts with his team.

Kikujiro

The two OVAs are actually unrelated. OVA1 then movies is one continuity, and TV then OVA2 is another.

Yep, but the plot is roughly similar and the content is pretty analogous. Massive chunks of both series are just isolated plot arcs, though the OVAs did have an overarching plot thread. Less differentiation between the two than the Tenchi OVA/Series

Just don't watch the third movie because... yikes.

That's what I loved the most about them, the completely unrelated episodes, you had all different kind of stories, witty, well-written and directed. Especially the second series OVA: 90% Viewer Rate, The Seven Days of Fire, It's Called Amnesia, Snow Rondo. The team behind Patlabor was a dream team.

Mokubba

I've missed out on everything FGC related these past 2 weeks because of E3 I'm ready to catch up but all I've seen is the Popi Vs Infiltration match which was really good.

Are there any other AE, Marvel 3 related news or matches that I missed and what has been the reaction to all the E3 news from the FGC

Grecco

It's pages of stuff. I'm not tweeting all that.

He really needs to stop keeping Morrigan out, though. XF2 Dormammu + Dark Harmonizer >>>> XF3 Dormammu.

Make a public Google drive doc and tweet him the link.

Anyways theres local tourneys here where i live on friday and saturday i wish i could go to both i need practice for evo :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo, you are a good guy, but between Iron Man, Kanye West, and being an XBot, you make me sad.
Self-aware egomaniac that trolls the uninformed is best personality type. Except with MS I guess, since they're not really that self-aware. So I prefer the term Halo Heathen.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Thanks to Amazon telling me that they only had 2 left in stock, I am now a member of the ASUS VH238H club.

Fucking bastards. I didn't want to start my Monday by dropping $150.

Filling out rebate stuff now, sigh...

onionfrog

This is a side tangent on the whole anime discussion. But if any of you guys haven't watched Avatar: The Last Airbender yet, you really should. It's not anime but its really great.

Also When's Divekick
coming out?

LordJim

*fist bump*

Finally a no bullshit shonen.

It actually has all the standard 'bullshit' most action shounen series have, aka silly powerlevels, training arcs, tournaments, MUH REVENGE etc.
It has however less pants on head retarded characters and setting and old school violence.
And good art when Togashi is not working on his deathbed

kick51

Banned
What is it with people going "man 20 years ago was so cool and THE BEST"?

So stupid. People did it in the last decade too.

'Ha this commercial has some 80's pop song awesome'

I would just like to say that me pointing out that robots in the 90s had blonde ponytails was not some compliment to the 90s. The 90s were okay, but also kind of the beginning of the end of modern culture.

Man, I thought something cool happened after I went to bed, but it was just anime talk for 3 pages lol

Kioshen

It actually has all the standard 'bullshit' most action shounen series have, aka silly powerlevels, training arcs, tournaments, MUH REVENGE etc.
It has however less pants on head retarded characters and setting and old school violence.
And good art when Togashi is not working on his deathbed

It's still a shounen at its core but it doesn't beat around the bush is what I meant. The pacing is steady and moves along its plot point at a fast pace.

LordJim

It's still a shounen at its core but it doesn't beat around the bush is what I meant. The pacing is steady and moves along its plot point at a fast pace.

Most people would disagree a bit on the pace due to Greed Island, but yeah.
It's what you'd expect from the one who created Yu Yu Hakusho.

That reminds me, I find it weird nobody has tried to do a licenced Hiatus x Hiatus fighting game. Seems natural

Most people would disagree a bit on the pace due to Greed Island, but yeah.
It's what you'd expect from the one who created Yu Yu Hakusho.

That reminds me, I find it weird nobody has tried to do a licenced Hiatus x Hiatus fighting game. Seems natural

oh shi hunterxhunter is by the same guy that did yu yu hakusho? That was my show back in the day

Y'all should read the Toriko manga (not the anime it's pretty bad, although apparently it's gotten better recently). So good you look forward to the filler as much as the main plot line because of how ridiculous the food and food eating is.

Top Bottom