• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 17-23 | Nintendoes what Capcan't

Anime's been stagnating because it's been focusing on a very small but extremely dedicated consumer base willing to spend a ton of money. Otaku will spend a lot of money for character-related things, and the genre's been getting increasingly narrow because of the market they're targeting. It's sort of unfortunate that Evangelion's legacy within the genre might ultimately be for popularizing the tsundere and stoic girl tropes which other animes have been trying to duplicate ever since, not for the ambition of its narrative vision or for how it interprets the mecha anime genre.

Microsoft seems to want to do the same thing with videogames and the broshooter audience, or atleast it makes an appearance of trying. Pretty soon Call of Duty will cost more than a season of anime on Japanese blu-ray

Edit: Kappa

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
boss_in_one_true_game_by_jbbcomics-d68o2r6.jpg

Busaiku

Most of the stuff from the 90s was mostly garbage.
People only name like 20-30 things from the entire decade that was worth watching.

There were 20 things worth watching in 2007.

Dahbomb

People only name like 20-30 things from the entire decade that was worth watching.

And I already admitted that 2000s was a great decade for anime. But 90s still had a lot of anime that were generally considered classics. I think my top 3 are all 90s anime.

vocab

Ya, maybe people who only watched stuff on CN.

Slam Dunk is from the 90's, and it's better than any show from 2007. Ya, I went there.

Being able to outsource animation to Korea and China for cheap increased the minimum quality of low/mid-tier anime in the 2000s by a large margin. I think that's what he's talking about.

NRS could use some of that right now, I think.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The berserk anime is so shitty compared to the manga though, it's so toned down and censored.

I remember after the manga came out stateside my friend threw his anime boxset in the garbage.

Busaiku

Alright then name them. And please no remakes or stuff that was continuing from previous years. I think the few that stick out for me are GL, 5Cm and Code Geass.

And I already admitted that 2000s was a great decade for anime. But 90s still had a lot of anime that were generally considered classics. I think my top 3 are all 90s anime.

Baccano!, Darker Than Black, Dennou Coil, Big Windup!, Kaiji, Mononoke, Emma 2nd Act, Moyashimon, Moribito, Nodame Cantabile, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Oh! Edo Rocket, Minami-ke, Clannad, Blue Drop, The Skull Man, Tokyo Marble Chocolate, Sword of the Stranger, 5cm/Second, The Piano Forest, Baby Blue, and Garden of Sinners.

Including remakes, there's also Toward The Terra and Fist of the North Star movies.

Dahbomb

The berserk anime is so shitty compared to the manga though, it's so toned down and censored.

I remember after the manga came out stateside my friend threw his anime boxset in the garbage.
The Berserk anime even being a toned down version of the manga is better than most anime out there. The manga doesn't provide the godlike soundtrack either.

And this is 100% not nostalgia talking I saw the series less than a month ago again. So fucking good, wipes the floor with the new movies that came out. And guess what.. the remake movies are still better than most stuff out there cuz Berserk is GODLIKE!

Sayah

From the anime I've watched, my current top 5 list:

1. Death Note
2. FMA: Brotherhood
3. Monster
4. Now and Then, Here and There
5. Claymore

What do these anime have in common? Enticing plot, great character development, excellent animation, mature themes. These are the sort of anime I can get behind.

When anime turns into panty shots, silly and annoying comedy, boring/silly/annoying characters, etc., that's when I know I have to stop watching.

Unfortunately, a lot of anime are following the latter trend.

Big O was godlike if you watch the entire series. My god. So awesome.

Cowboy bebop is god. Of the anime realm.

I remember Blood plus, wolf rain, and several others.

FlyFaster

1. Death Note
3. Monster
5. Claymore

What do these anime have in common? Enticing plot, great character development, excellent animation, mature themes. These are the sort of anime I can get behind.

When anime turns into panty shots, silly and annoying comedy, boring/silly/annoying characters, etc., that's when I know I have to stop watching.

Unfortunately, a lot of anime is following the latter trend.

I'd love a Claymore fighting game. I wanted to do mod to Skyrim and put claymroes and yoma as monsters.

vocab

The only bad thing about Big O is that you need to watch it from the beginning. I came in during season 2, and was bored as shit, but I watched it from the beginning I was really into it. It's goofy, but man those tomatoes!

Sayah

I'd love a Claymore fighting game. I wanted to do mod to Skyrim and put claymroes and yoma as monsters.

That would be hot.

Blood + was complete garbage. And I actually wasted time and watched through it all because I wanted to get the ending.

1. Death Note
3. Monster
5. Claymore

Without trying to sound weird, panty shots aren't at odds with all that good stuff. Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion have a good amount of fan service (especially the latter), and are both superb. As long as it doesn't get to Agent Aika levels, I don't think it's inherently a bad thing.

Dahbomb

Baccano!, Darker Than Black, Dennou Coil, Big Windup!, Kaiji, Mononoke, Emma 2nd Act, Moyashimon, Moribito, Nodame Cantabile, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Oh! Edo Rocket, Minami-ke, Clannad, Blue Drop, The Skull Man, Tokyo Marble Chocolate, Sword of the Stranger, 5cm/Second, The Piano Forest, Baby Blue, and Garden of Sinners.

Including remakes, there's also Toward The Terra and Fist of the North Star movies.
And not a single one of them better than the ones I listed. Granted I have only seen half of them and the ones I have seen don't even belong on "should be watched". Sword of the Stranger was bad ass though.

Also I have to check but GL and Code Geass might have come out in 2007 as well. If not then close to that time space.

I got trolled into Claymore so hard. "It's Berserk but with chicks!"

All of those fall squarely into "very competent but not groundbreaking", though, like we've been saying. Except Edo Rocket which is straight ass.

Busaiku

To each their own, I guess.
Gurren Lagann was 2007 as well.
Code Geass was Fall 2006.

Baccano!'s top 3 material for me.
Mononoke and Sword of the Stranger in my top 10.
Moyashimon, Kaiji, Dennou Coil, and Baby Blue in my top 20.

I think Baby Blue is Mr. Watanabe's best work.
All of those fall squarely into "very competent but not groundbreaking", though, like we've been saying. Except Edo Rocket which is straight ass.
What from the 90's is "groundbreaking" besides Evangelion and maybe Cowboy Bebop (4 years apart).

Sayah

Without trying to sound weird, panty shots aren't at odds with all that good stuff. Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion have a good amount of fan service (especially the latter), and are both superb. As long as it doesn't get to Agent Aika levels, I don't think it's inherently a bad thing.

They don't have to get in the way of making a great anime, definitely. But that sort of stuff often does which only makes it a bad trend setter.

Sayah

To each their own, I guess.
Gurren Lagann was 2007 as well.
Code Geass was Fall 2006.

Baccano!'s top 3 material for me.
Mononoke and Sword of the Stranger in my top 10.
Moyashimon, Kaiji, Dennou Coil, and Baby Blue in my top 20.

I think Baby Blue is Mr. Watanabe's best work.

What from the 90's is "groundbreaking" besides Evangelion and maybe Cowboy Bebop (4 years apart).

Gurren Lagann was amazing. Baccano was okay.

Dahbomb

Baccano would not make my top 20. GL and Sword of the Stranger might. I should do a list some day. I would say that if it was just top 10 it would have more 90s stuff but if it was like top 30 it would have way more stuff from 2000-2009.

Ghost in the Shell
Berserk
Vision of Escalflowne
Hajime No Ippo
MGS 8th MS Team
Princess Mononoke
Samurai X OVA
NTHT
Lain
LOGH

Even the mediocre stuff like DBZ, Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing had other anime aping off of them for years to come.

And this is all just stuff off the top my head.

The 90s was the best decade because all the best game shows are from then.
I feel like the 90s was that period leading up to systemic approaches taking over media consumption. You still had mainstream risky games and movies without focus testing and such. I'm not saying that the 80s and 90s didn't have that stuff, but it was not as formulaic as things are today.

Baccano would not make my top 20. GL and Sword of the Stranger might. I should do a list some day. I would say that if it was just top 10 it would have more 90s stuff but if it was like top 30 it would have way more stuff from 2000-2009.
I would love a top 10 list from several people here. I've been out of anime for way too long. Still need to finish Death Note.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I don't have time for anime but my favorite manga of all time is 20th Century Boys. There is a live movie trilogy that is based on it too, you guys should totally check it out.

Infinite

But Baccano is a top 5 anime. There's been a lot of great animes to come out recently you guys just sound a bunch of bitter old men.

Sigmaah

I would love a top 10 list from several people here. I've been out of anime for way too long.

same here!

I've watched DBZ and all of Naruto and Shippuden so far and they are great, I just recently gave one piece a chance (I first saw the 4kids dub and I hated it right away, I was really young at the time lol) and I LOVE IT. I need more amazing animes to watch!

Solune

Wolf's Rain is the cure for insomnia
But the OST is godlike despite the show's ... faults...

1. Death Note
3. Monster
5. Claymore

I can't look at the series the same anymore after Hitokage's godlike writeup.

---

@Dahbomb and those who've watched Shinkai's movies (5cm/s) Please watch Garden of Words. It's only 45 minutes and I guarantee you eyegasms.

Also anime is fine, You Are Umasou came out in 2010 Which is the god damn best anime movie of that year.
I encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to watch it especially if you are a Land before Time fan

Sayah

I would love a top 10 list from several people here. I've been out of anime for way too long. Still need to finish Death Note.

Death Note is hit or miss. Some people find it boring/lose interest and other people (like myself) think it's one of the greatest shows ever.

But on topic, I would really recommend Now and Then, Here and There to anyone and everyone. It's just one of those anime that probably gets missed/ignored by a lot of people but it's also absolutely a must-watch. It's only 13 episodes so it's not a huge time sink. Just..........watch it.

I can't look at the series the same anymore after Hitokage's godlike writeup.

LOL.

Dahbomb

But Baccano is a top 5 anime. There's been a lot of great animes to come out recently you guys just sound a bunch of bitter old men.
Did you read my post?

I basically said that the quantity of "great anime" is higher in the 2000s but the 90s has anime that were classics and would make more people's top 5s.

And I didn't ignore Satoshi Kon I just forgot which decades his movies were from. Same for the Miyazaki movies.

Patlabor, the 90s Gundam stuff, Trigun, Berserk, GitS, and a ton more I can't think of off the top of my head. 2000s anime is consistently at a 6-8 out of 10, and there's been very few egregiously bad ones, but trust me Bible Black and Gurren Lagann are going to be the only series still relevant to people 20 years from now.

It's like comparing 90s fighting games to post-2008 fighting games. There haven't been as many exceptionally awful titles released but the highlights don't stand out as brightly. SF4 or KOF13 aren't going to be classics the way SF2/3s and KOF98 are.

same here!

I've watched DBZ and all of Naruto and Shippuden so far and they are great, I just recently gave one piece a chance (I first saw the 4kids dub and I hated it right away, I was really young at the time lol) and I LOVE IT. I need more amazing animes to watch!
It sounds to me like you need to watch your first great show still. ;-)

Death Note is hit or miss. Some people find it boring/lose interest and other people (like myself) think it's one of the greatest shows ever.

But on topic, I would really recommend Now and Then, Here and There to anyone and everyone. It's just one of those anime that probably gets missed/ignored by a lot of people but it's also absolutely a must-watch. It's only 13 episodes so it's not a huge time sink. Just..........watch it.
I'll add it to my mental list.

Death Note is fantastic. And not just because I'm a megalomaniac who got to live vicariously through Light's situation.

Infinite

Did you read my post?

I basically said that the quantity of "great anime" is higher in the 2000s but the 90s has anime that were classics and would make more people's top 5s.

You're looking at it with rose tinted glasses. I feel there's more ground breaking stuff now than there was then. It's just that hyper realism and super violent, mature themes and imagery was more popular in that decade and that's something you may resonate with more which is fine.

I'm pretty sure Patalbor, Gits and Appleseed came out in the late 80s.

Dahbomb

Death Note is great for the first 26 or so episodes.... after that it regresses in quality fast and only really picks back up near the end. I would still always recommend it, just for the concept alone.

GITS came out in 1995.

Top Bottom