• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 17-23 | Nintendoes what Capcan't

cmon

you can't hate Spinal

jasonandtheargonauts1.jpg

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64178166]It's not like Killer Instinct has interesting original characters. The whole game is a piece of shit, always has been.[/QUOTE]

You didn't like Tusk? Heh.

Dahbomb

Fulgore - 90s robot built by americans

Zero - 90s robot built by the japanese
90s Japanese robot equivalent to what Fulgore is (dark, edgy, blades on wrists, evil eyes) would be this:

guyver3qa3.jpg

Ok its not really a robot but still... this is what 90s was about.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
90s Japanese robot equivalent to what Fulgore is (dark, edgy, blades on wrists, evil eyes) would be this:

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/5748/guyver3qa3.jpg[img]

Ok its not really a robot but still... this is what 90s was about.[/QUOTE]

KEEP IT IN THE 90'S

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What is it with people going "man 20 years ago was so cool and THE BEST"?

So stupid. People did it in the last decade too.

'Ha this commercial has some 80's pop song awesome'

Dahbomb

What is it with people going "man 20 years ago was so cool and THE BEST"?

So stupid. People did it in the last decade too.

'Ha this commercial has some 80's pop song awesome'
Its called nostalgia rose tinted glasses. Everything was awesome when you were younger, when you grow older you don't like stuff from now. For example comic book movies from decades ago don't hold a candle to what they are now. Gaming now is better than ever... you have a huge catalogue of games to from when back then you would have like 1-2 games that were good a year (that did change starting in 96 though).

Although admittedly anime in general has taken a nosedive since the early 2000s. Some of my favorites were from the 90s. They went for a darker tone and used more hand drawn techniques. Now its mostly CG lolis shitting up the medium to appease a bunch of otakus.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I mean yeah nostalgia but I remember in the 00's people having an affinity for 80's shit who were not alive in the 80's. Like "Don't Stop Believin" is a song a majority of people in my high school were aware of. And I was like yo you people should be listening to Nelly

People make the nostalgia argument all the time, but a lot of things really do suck more now than they did before. Plenty of people are self-aware enough to differentiate between nostalgia and something being good. For example, I loved watching Li Joe playing KI. Total nostalgia trip, but not actually good. I also re-watched the Transformers movie a few years ago. So goddamn good, no nostalgia involved. Just a great movie, much better than Michael Bay crap.

Next on the list: my wife and I are going to rewatch Sailor Moon.

Dahbomb

So what if you like stuff from a few decades ago? I should not be aware of the Godfather but instead watch that new Gangster Squad movie?

Transformers the movie is awesome no matter what decade you watch it in. I used to love watching the Gargoyles cartoon but I don't know how they would hold up now... I guess they would be better than your average cartoon but it won't hold a candle to Avatar for example.

Sailor Moon is bad though. It was bad in the 90s and it is bad now. Sort of like DBZ minus a few bad ass moments. The entire DBZ series is damn near unwatchable at a stretch due to horrid pacing.

I mean yeah nostalgia but I remember in the 00's people having an affinity for 80's shit who were not alive in the 80's. Like "Don't Stop Believin" is a song a majority of people in my high school were aware of. And I was like yo you people should be listening to Nelly

Well Journey is Journey, I can't blame people choosing Journey over Nelly. Also the iPod was introduced in the early 2000s so people had a large variety of music to choose from. People didn't need to listen to what was popular, they could listen to music from the 80s or whatever they chose.

Dahbomb

90s also had the Street Fighter animated movie and MK the movie. Probably the two greatest video game movies ever made and they both were fighting game movies.

We only remember the highs and not the lows, though. Plenty of bad movies came out in the 70s and plenty of bad animes came out in the 90s. Though I think all forms of entertainment aim a bit too much for mediocrity nowadays, even if there aren't that many egregiously bad stuff I don't think the highlights are as good as they used to be.

I mean, what animes made in this decade are people going to remember in 20 years? All I can think of is Ghost in the Shell SAC and Gurren Lagann.

Anyways, I hope KI tries as much as it can to be aggressively awful, because that's more interesting to me than some SF4-ripoff meant to milk a dead brand that just got sent out to die as an exclusive for a non-primary console.

You're gonna spend a lot of time laughing at sailor moon, especially the dub. It's pretty enjoyable like that
Should I watch it dubbed or subbed? I watched it dubbed as a kid because it was a morning cartoon, but I'm thinking subbed is the way to go these days.

Dahbomb

GITS SAC didn't even come out in this decade.. that was 2000-2009. That decade actually had some solid anime in it like FMA but this decade has been fairly mediocre. At least we are getting the Evangelion movies right guys? Oh wait I forgot... those started last decade as well!

Which decade had the Thong Song?
1999 so the 90s.

GITS SAC didn't even come out in this decade.. that was 2000-2009. That decade actually had some solid anime in it like FMA but this decade has been fairly mediocre. At least we are getting the Evangelion movies right guys? Oh wait I forgot... those started last decade as well!

... God no. Not the Evangelion movies, especially 3.33.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
We only remember the highs and not the lows, though. Plenty of bad movies came out in the 70s and plenty of bad animes came out in the 90s. Though I think all forms of entertainment aim a bit too much for mediocrity nowadays, even if there aren't that many egregiously bad stuff I don't think the highlights are as good as they used to be.

I mean, what animes made in this decade are people going to remember in 20 years? All I can think of is Ghost in the Shell SAC and Gurren Lagann.

Anyways, I hope KI tries as much as it can to be aggressively awful, because that's more interesting to me than some SF4-ripoff meant to milk a dead brand that just got sent out to die as an exclusive for a non-primary console.

Pretty sure people will remember attack on titan :p

Dahbomb

Should I watch it dubbed or subbed? I watched it dubbed as a kid because it was a morning cartoon, but I'm thinking subbed is the way to go these days.
My sister told me that the uncut subbed original Japanese version is the way to go. They also go further in the story than what was aired on Toonami.

Pretty sure people will remember attack on titan :p
That anime still has to prove itself. It started off really well but right now it has lost some steam.

Dahbomb

Is it really that good?
First like 8 episodes were bad ass. The last 3 episodes have approached middling pacing combined with multiple still shots to cut corners in the animation department. Probably will wait until like the last episode of the first season to have a good feel on it.

Right now Space Brothers is the best anime of very recent times.

If there's one thing to remember about Q, it's that he treats judgments like duals in the old west: draw your conclusion ASAP!

I don't think stuff like Attack on Titan or the two FMA shows or this millennium's Macross or Gundam series will have any sort of staying power, because they're solid animes but do nothing that will make them historically significant. It's like comparing Halo 1 with Halo 4. That said plenty of mediocre/shit animes got released in the 90s but we don't remember those, we remember Cowboy Bebop/Evangelion.

Also, Bible Black will be the most-remembered anime released in the 2000s

Back on the topic of fighting games, the 90s had more shit fighting games but the highlights were more significant. What's the worst fighting game since the 2009 revival? SFxT?

Riposte

I don't think stuff like Attack on Titan or the two FMA shows or this millennium's Macross or Gundam series will have any sort of staying power, because they're solid animes but do nothing that will make them historically significant. It's like comparing Halo 1 with Halo 4. That said plenty of mediocre/shit animes got released in the 90s but we don't remember those, we remember Cowboy Bebop/Evangelion.

Also, Bible Black will be the most-remembered anime released in the 2000s

Back on the topic of fighting games, the 90s had more shit fighting games but the highlights were more significant. What's the worst fighting game since the 2009 revival? SFxT?

If your anime was on adult swim (a lot), people will remember it.

Dahbomb

Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Samurai X OVA, Berserk, Vision of Escaflowne, YYH, GITS (the movie), Hajime No Ippo, MSG 8th MS Team, Trigun are among the best anime ever made. I think if I came up with my personal top 10 list it would comprise more of anime from the 90s than any other decade.

And LOL @ Bible Black. I am loling because sadly this might be true. For those trying to.collect data on these anime listed by googling, please don't google Bible Black in a work environment.

vocab

My taste in anime has gone to watch any thing to only watch seinen and one piece. LOGH is the only show i want to watch. If i watch that ill never watch another series again because it's the ultimate show.

Busaiku

Indeed

Ain't no one going to forget The Big O, DBZ or Fullmetal Alchemist any time soon.

But people have forgotten Blood+, Blue Gender, Kekkaishi, Paranoia Agent, Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, Pilot Candidate, Kikaider, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Super Milk Chan, but not Reign.

Dahbomb

Man, The Big O was some good stuff. Now I wanna watch it again

am I being serious, or fueling the nostalgia point further?
Big O was kinda mediocre yet still better than most of the stuff released nowadays.

My taste in anime has gone to watch any thing to only watch seinen and one piece. LOGH is the only show i want to watch. If i watch that ill never watch another series again because it's the ultimate show.
Oh shit another classic from the 90s. That one started a whole genre by itself.

vocab

Big O was kinda mediocre yet still better than most of the stuff released nowadays.

Oh shit another classic from the 90s. That one started a whole genre by itself.

I would never classify it from the 90's. Stuff like sunrise stuff like G gundam and cyber Formula scream 90's with the awesome cel animation.

But people have forgotten Blood+, Blue Gender, Kekkaishi, Paranoia Agent, Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, Pilot Candidate, Kikaider, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Super Milk Chan, but not Reign.

Most of those shows are straight up snooze fests. Lupin is the only show that has a place in my heart.

So... about those fighting games.

Someone should make a new Hokuto no Ken. HnK and Guilty Gear basically have the sharpest sound effects (shoutouts to CvS2 and N64 smash too) in any fighting game. We need that back in this genre. I've been watching the 80s anime and this shit is amazing. It blows away basically all action anime I've seen so far. They just don't let up on the action. Kenshiro is shredding irredeemably bad dudes like some sort of righteous meat grinder.

Vegeta should count his lucky stars Goku is so merciful in comparison to Ken lol.
Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Samurai X OVA, Berserk, Vision of Escaflowne, YYH, GITS (the movie), Hajime No Ippo, MSG 8th MS Team, Trigun are among the best anime ever made. I think if I came up with my personal top 10 list it would comprise more of anime from the 90s than any other decade.

And LOL @ Bible Black. I am loling because sadly this might be true. For those trying to.collect data on these anime listed by googling, please don't google Bible Black in a work environment.
I'm a 2000s kid and beyond, but I have a lot of appreciation for the stuff that came before then.

I checked my list of what I'd deem a masterpiece and the 2000s rocks all the other decades hard. The nineties has three, the 2000s has seven and the 2010s has two. Not all of these are in my top ten however.
People forgot Wolf's Rain? Fuckers are never gonna make it to paradise at this rate.

Top Bottom