• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

Sayad

Ok so SFV looks really good in those high quality images, but damn I really hope those flat low res special effects are just place holders:
1hdrtma.jpg

Those teeth though <3

Infinite

I don't think he gets it. Japan needs to stop thinking of characters in terms of blatant stereotypes. It's not just about anime girls and musclebound bald dudes, it's about character depth, personality, and originality.

When has anyone ever a criticized a game for not having enough waifu cat-girls? I think never.
No he's right. You guys do too much. Not every character design is going to appeal to you and the world doesn't revolve around our tastes and sensibilities. Relax.

I don't think he gets it. Japan needs to stop thinking of characters in terms of blatant stereotypes. It's not just about anime girls and musclebound bald dudes, it's about character depth, personality, and originality.

Right, like the Quincy they added that everyone's losing their shit over.
Or the strident concerns that Marshal Law, everyone's favorite Brandon Lee stand-in, might not get to keep his dad's leftovers from Tekken 5.

I'd be fine with a hard quota on character archetypes, though - that could be interesting. Only a certain number of goofy cosplayers, hardass martial artists, assassins, etc. Once you hit your limit, you move on to another type, and then add contrivances in their backstory to give the illusion of depth. Somewhere along the line Doctor Bosconovitch will get Feng's style and accept Feng as his sifu - I'd actually pay to see that.

Village

When has anyone ever a criticized a game for not having enough waifu cat-girls? I think never.

Those people probably are not interested in the game and don't buy it

I know a number of people on gaf, that prefer cute girl characters than muscular dudes, and have called them scary so. Ya know different strokes.

A far as the blantant sterotype go, while I agree in some instances, tekken is probably the the one that offends the least.

That series has a black Canadian ninja in it.

You can be anything you want in tekken, wanna be a robut, a satan, go a head, its tekken we got veleceraptors and shit.

Dahbomb

I just think the people bitching are kinda silly because this game has a block of wood and they are bitching about exuberance. But they are human being and human being are inconsistent,selfish and insane.
The problem is that the character looks like a shit ton of other player made customized characters with all the gear on her. She has knee pads, headphones, speakers on her waste, a black ballerina outfit, cat fur jacket and a tail. It's over designed, garish bull shit just like all the eye sore custom creations that people make in Tekken.

A block of wood is still far less garish than this obscenity. There's bad character designs and then there's this shit.

ShinMaruku

You do know over designed stuff is Japan's character design status quo right?
Really you have no problems with a farting bear, dinosaurs upteen billions of Robots a dude with a face in he chest and all those other things? Tekken has always had batshit designs I bet if the block of wood was introduced now people would bitch about him too.

It's one thing not to like her because she's a troll character (Which makes her design and voice chice perfection) and not liking her because she ruins tekken when it's always been off the deep end.

Dahbomb

Why do you keep bringing up those characters? They are ridiculous characters but they aren't over designed or garish.

Alex is just a velociraptor with boxing gloves... he doesn't have shades, headphones, a jump suit and cowboy boots on. He isn't a walking Poochie.

And people pointing to bad character designs in Tekken is a terrible argument. Characters like Alisa and Lars are bad characters design too, you are not making this monstrosity look better by comparing them to some of Tekken's badly designed characters.

The defense of troll character design is even worse. That's probably the first thing people come up with to defend obviously bad character designs "guys this character is designed badly on purpose... omg look at the genius of the developers". No one thought that was amusing for Rufus in SF4 or MM in SFxT, those character designs were fucking panned and rightfully so.

The saving grace of a character like this is that with a robust character customization system you can change it. At this point any change you make on that screen is likely to be a net improvement.

Imm0rt4l

You do know over designed stuff is Japan's character design status quo right?
Really you have no problems with a farting bear, dinosaurs upteen billions of Robots a dude with a face in he chest and all those other things? Tekken has always had batshit designs I bet if the block of wood was introduced now people would bitch about him too.

It's one thing not to like her because she's a troll character (Which makes her design and voice chice perfection) and not liking her because she ruins tekken when it's always been off the deep end.

Top Bottom