• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of December 1st to the 7th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

The Game Awards [ Thread ] [ Friday ] [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of the VGAs rises The Game Awards, an attempt to reform the idea of video game awards, and one that promises multiple game reveals.
Northeast Championship XV [ Schedule ] [ Additional streams: Second Stage, Anime, KOF & Anime, NRS ] [ Friday ] [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NEC 15 celebrates it's 15th anniversary, featuring the first major Xrd side tournament, the latest Curleh Mustache Battle Royale and being the last big event before Capcom Cup.
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More information is available here.
Playstation Experience [ Saturday ] [ 1PM EDT | 10AM PDT ]
  • Rumours are swirling about this mysterious Playstation event Sony is hosting, which will feature a multitude of new reveals. Several fighting game developers are in attendance and rumoured to have reveals, including Aksys, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Warner Brothers, Iron Galaxy & SNK Playmore.
  • This event continues through Sunday.

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iE7OmsqBkrM0s.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at #1 ghost, casperOne!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
As I have severe constraints on my time (because of my own choices, mind you), I don’t play as much as I used to, but when I do, it’s usually Super Turbo (via GGPO, I haven’t tried Fightcade yet, as everyone says it’s the truth) or SF4.

I’d really love to play XRD when it comes out, the game looks gorgeous and I’d like to get into a fighter other than the Capcom fighters I’ve been playing all of my life (not that I think that's a bad thing).
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I really enjoy when a game has a solid juggle system that isn’t out of control, but isn’t too constrained.

While SF4 engine rewards strict execution, (with one frame links
(no pun intended)
being the key to optimal damage), I very much enjoy finding out how I can keep a character in the air and maximizing opportunities off a tatsu, SRK, etc (Ryu main, Sagat in Vanilla).

I know it’s trendy to hate on TAC in Marvel, but I don’t hate it as much as everyone else does. The game didn’t suffer horribly as a result. Could it be better? Of course, but it doesn’t irk me like it does others.

I look at fighting games as black boxes where everyone is on a level playing field, so I accept the possibilities and constraints of those black boxes (and feel it’s our duty as fighting game players to exploit them) no matter what the game. Because of that, it’s difficult for me to pin down a least favorite.

Since I have to pick something, I’d say the block button in the MK series is my least favorite thing. I don’t dislike the series, but to me there’s a natural, semantic feeling to holding back to block. Using a button goes against decades of muscle memory and actively works against me.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
I don’t know that there was anything that “got” me into fighting games, as I’m old enough to have been there in the arcades when the genre started. I just happened to be an arcade kid who loves games and played them all.

I played all the side-scrolling beat-em-ups when they were in the arcade, but I remember Karate Champ and the feeling of playing against another person was more satisfying than playing with them towards a common goal.

Even though it was a one-hit-one-kill game, I loved beating other people at it; it stoked that competitive fire within me and I gravitated towards other games of that nature. What we know as fighting games today was born from games like that.

But I remember the moment I saw and played World Warrior for the first time and it how absolutely mind-blowing it was (even though I didn’t understand the reasons why back then) as it set the standard for fighting games we have today. It was no longer two characters with the same moveset but a cast of characters, each with its own unique moves that pose situational strengths and weaknesses, establishing the fundamental paper-rock-scissors type choices that have to be made many times over in every fighting game match.

As for other genres, I’m very much a fan of the MGS series, as well as open-world games such as GTA (please forgive the egregious sin of not playing V yet). Anything with a great story/mechanic/system will get me. I’m currently playing “The Walking Dead - Season 2” and am a big fan of the story of those games (as well as the comic and the tv series).
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
I'd have to say Claw. There's something so sick about having that Wolverine-style claw and being able to reign death from above.

I was a huge fan of Guile when World Warrior came out, he was one of the characters that made me think "nailed it" when looking at him. I don't think that of him in SF4 now, but I think of Claw that way (even though I dislike his playstyle in 4).
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
In terms of where/when I play, it’s usually old-man games at 2 Old 2 Furious. I don’t play much CvS2 or Alpha 2, but I enter because I enjoy the games. However, I get extremely salty if I don’t win at least two in Super Turbo though.

Once in a blue moon I’ll pop on GGPO or Ultra.

As for the type of player I am, I play defense very well (I'm a turtle) but at times I'll overdo it to the point where it works against me. As a Claw main in ST, Art (correctly) pointed out that I needed to be more aggressive on knockdown, and that generally translates into SF4 as well. As a Ryu/Sagat main there, I prefer to have the opponent a ways away from me and keeping them constrained in the box that I define.

However, once I get them in that box, I'm usually pretty good at keeping them there.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
Biggest weakness is not being aggressive enough. There are a number of times that I should be pushing an advantage but I back off in favor of the neutral game, where I feel I have better control. The characters I tend to play have rush down options, but I don't utilize them nearly enough for fear of it turning horribly on me very quickly.

My biggest strengths are patience, fundamentals and not jumping.

I'm willing to let every round run the full amount of time if it means I pull out the win. The downside of this is that I will let the opponent back into the game, but if I feel I control the pace of the match, I'm not worried about it; from my perspective, they aren't really "back" in it.

For SF4, my execution can be better (I mentioned one frame links being king in this game), but you'd be surprized just how far fundamentals can take you; blocking correctly, anti-airs, good command of normals, footsies and range. Take a player like John Choi in SF4; as we've seen at Evo, he sticks to the fundamentals and controls the match through fundamentals, nothing that's really exlusive to the SF4 engine.

If you play ST (or at least, WW, where Ryu and Ken started out with invulnerable DPs), you know that jumping is a death sentence. It's something that I've never seen give an advantage in any game that doesn't have air blocks (because of chicken blocking). If you play me, I'm only going to leave the ground when I'm sure I can get in on you. If anything, I'm going to try and get you to leave the ground so I can juggle you around as much as I can off an lp SRK.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Player-wise, my best moment is my Evo 2009 performance in SF4, I went 3-2. My worst moment was going 0-2 in ST in the last 2O2F.

As a non player, I’ll start with my worst moment, something near and dear to all of your hearts: doing commentary at Devastation 2010. I
rightfully
got ripped apart by the community at large for it. What most people don’t know is that I was actively trying to defend sf4answers (the site) from well-known people in the community who were spamming it while I was delivering commentary at the event.

I stayed away from commentary shortly after that (after ECT 2), realizing it wasn't a good medium for promoting sf4answers. To be clear, I never wanted to be a commentator (although I enjoyed it when I did it), I only did it when asked and as a mechanism to raise awareness for sf4answers at the time.

Now, it's good to be able to get a laugh about when interacting with the community-at-large, whether on the mic, or front of a cam. I thought pointing out the stream monsters in the promo video for UMvC3 at Capcom Cup 2013 was a good example of this.

I think the best moments in the community are where One Frame Link sponsors events; while I love the promotion OFL gets, being able to work actively work with an event and make their production better (through sponsorships, tech, services) is something I take a lot of pride in.

As for my best moment, player or otherwise, it would easily be Evo 2014, where One Frame Link provided live statistical support for the majority of games throughout the event. It required months of planning and work (starting in November of 2013) as well as three days with almost no food or sleep during the event, but it's by far the thing I'm most proud of/single best/most significant thing that I’ve done in the community to date.

While common in productions in other fields, to be the one to do this for the first time in our community at the scale that I did and on its largest stage was an accomplishment that I’ll always cherish and never forget.
What do you want from future fighting games?
Better netplay, lobby system, uploads to YouTube (this 360p upload stuff is abysmal), training mode, etc. Pretty much the standard stuff that everyone else wants.

What I’d like in the community (and something I'm working on) is getting better data collection around the matches at our tournaments; more information about our players and how they perform, as well as capturing more granular detail is necessary.

I’d like to see data capture taken to a new level in 2015 (and be there to consume it of course); One Frame Link will definitely be a driver for this.

There’s a tournament that absolutely nailed it in 2014, which you’ll hear more about in the upcoming weeks (which One Frame Link had the pleasure of working with).
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
If they haven’t done one yet, I’d like to see TheBesteban, Delerium (sp), Thehadou, enzo_gt (yes, you, I don’t think you’ve done one yet) in that order, if they haven't done them yet.
Since Dahbomb strongly encourages pre-orders, what games do you plan to buy that have been officially announced?
I don’t get to play many games, but I’ve really enjoyed playing both seasons of "The Walking Dead" by Telltale Games. The third season was announced at SDCC 2014, and I’m pretty sure I’ll be picking that up on pre-order.

That and whatever fighting game has Steam support (it’s just so much easier for me on PC right now, it's not a PC master race thing) as well.

iUoeLsdCrHsYQ.jpg

Code:
12/04  Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- (JP) (NA: 12/16)
12/12  The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match Final Edition
12/06  Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (JP)
Q4     Arcana Heart 3: LOVE MAX!!!!! (EU)
Q4     BLADE ARCUS from Shining
Q4     Rise of Incarnates
Q4     Skullgirls Encore
Q4     Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm
WINTER The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match
SPRING Dead or Alive 5: LAST ROUND
04/15  Mortal Kombat X
2015   Dragon Ball Xenoverse
2015   Rivals of Aether
2015   Under Night In-Birth (NA/EU)
TBD    Beast's Fury
TBD    Next The King Of Fighters Title (tentative)
TBD    Tekken 7
TBD    Tekken X Street Fighter
TBD    Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven

ibqmKoeGZdF3Lr.jpg

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
For a list of NeoGAF OTs for specific fighting games, as well as a list of non-GAF fighting game communities that may be of interest, check out the FGW Archive where these resources can be found on separate sheets at the bottom.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or (preferably) PM me to let me know.

Put near the end of last week's thread, gonna re-up just in case (will add ya tomorrow Karst):

Good to see some gaffers playing Smash Wii U. Toss me a franz' list invite when you get a chance! Semi-competitive, mostly going from stuff I know in the older ones. Running Link (main)/DK/Peach, in order of actual ability. Also mess with Charizard/Tink/Mario/Doc/Ness (hooray for never learning). Mega Man is kinda fun though.

NNID is Hi_Im_Sasa. Probably won't ever play any more tourneys, but being spoiler/pretending to be good? ALL DAY

I am so out of touch with what goes on in these threads that leads to the new title every week. Unless it's SF related or something so big that even I can't not notice, it's all over my head. So what is it about anyways?

Uraizen

Banned
You mean I can't play my awesome Cole in SFxT tourneys?

EDIT: Wait a minute BLADE ARCUS from Shining is coming to consoles? lol

Dahbomb

I always love that gif because of its multipurpose usage.

I have no idea of the original context of it though. I don't follow Wrestling.

Would you explain those mechanics to an interested newbie?

Force Breaks are probably most analogous to EX moves, basically a move you can throw out that costs meter and grants additional properties. Not all Force Breaks were "beefed up version of existing moves" though, some of the moves that were given to characters as Force Breaks were completely unique items in their moveset which is why their exclusion in Xrd is disappointing.

There are three types of cancels in Guilty Gear Xrd.

Yellow Roman Cancels (YRC) - Cost 25 meter and only activatable if your opponent is not in block or hitstun and the move that you're cancelling is in its startup or active frames. Not all moves can be YRC'd (Like its not so bad that you can whiff a DP full screen and cancel it)

Red Roman Cancel (RC) - Costs 50 meter and only activatable when your opponent is in block or hitstun. Either you're using this to continue a block string or you're doing an extended combo

Purple Roman Cancel - (PRC) - Costs 50 meter and only activatable during the recovery move of a move. Can't be used with all moves in the game.

YRC is a whiff cancel. For 25 meter you can take most moves and, so long as they haven't put your opponent into blockstun, you can cancel them. Ignoring the immediate ramifications of something like this allowing a person to whiff a large assortment of special and normal moves and immediately cancel into safety for a paltry amount of meter another side effect is that there exists an option select that will auto burst bait your opponent so long as you have under 50 meter and buffer YRC during your combo. You won't get Red Roman Cancel because you have under 50 meter and YRC will immediately activate the moment one of your moves whiff aka. the moment your opponent's invincible frames begin in the burst animation.

And Danger Time is the definition of an unnecessary mechanic. After any point in which one's normals or specials class there's a random chance that the screen pauses, counts down 3 seconds in dramatic fashion, and activates "Danger Time". During this normals your moves do more damage and doing an RC during Danger Time will give you a "Mortal Counter" which ... lets you do even more damage. It's just pointless and completely breaks the action for no reason.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You mean I can't play my awesome Cole in SFxT tourneys?

EDIT: Wait a minute BLADE ARCUS from Shining is coming to consoles? lol
The OP includes PC-only games too.

But now looking around.. I can't even find a mention that the game is getting a retail release at all? Can someone confirm? I'm not listing shit in OP if it's never coming to retail because it's kind of useless.

JDdelphin

I always love that gif because of its multipurpose usage.

I have no idea of the original context of it though. I don't follow Wrestling.

Meh I doubt anyone knows the context behind the 'Orson Welles suppressed rage I can't believe my wife cost me so much money on her awful musical career she is a living, breathing embarrassment to me and my good name I AM CLAPPING SO HARD WITH COMPLEX HATE RIGHT NOW' .gif image...

-it's just some dude clappin bro...

I use it when I need some dude to clap.

What's Citizen Kane? Some Soul Reaver sequel or expansion? Lol man I dont even

Dahbomb

YRC is a whiff cancel. For 25 meter you can take most moves and, so long as they haven't put your opponent into blockstun, you can cancel them. Ignoring the immediate ramifications of something like this allowing a person to whiff a large assortment of special and normal moves and immediately cancel into safety for a paltry amount of meter another side effect is that there exists an option select that will auto burst bait your opponent so long as you have under 50 meter and buffer YRC during your combo. You won't get Red Roman Cancel because you have under 50 meter and YRC will immediately activate the moment one of your moves whiff aka. the moment your opponent's invincible frames begin in the burst animation.
I feel like the obvious solution to this is to just make YRC cost 50 meter. Unless I am missing something here.

Dlent

I'll put five bucks into #Reload on PC. A good value for just the OST; let's see if anyone is online to slam with.

Force Breaks are probably most analogous to EX moves, basically a move you can throw out that costs meter and grants additional properties. Not all Force Breaks were "beefed up version of existing moves" though, some of the moves that were given to characters as Force Breaks were completely unique items in their moveset which is why their exclusion in Xrd is disappointing.

There are three types of cancels in Guilty Gear Xrd.

Yellow Roman Cancels (YRC) - Cost 25 meter and only activatable if your opponent is not in block or hitstun and the move that you're cancelling is in its startup or active frames. Not all moves can be YRC'd (Like its not so bad that you can whiff a DP full screen and cancel it)

Red Roman Cancel (RC) - Costs 50 meter and only activatable when your opponent is in block or hitstun. Either you're using this to continue a block string or you're doing an extended combo

Purple Roman Cancel - (PRC) - Costs 50 meter and only activatable during the recovery move of a move. Can't be used with all moves in the game.

And Danger Time is the definition of an unnecessary mechanic. After any point in which one's normals or specials class there's a random chance that the screen pauses, counts down 3 seconds in dramatic fashion, and activates "Danger Time". During this normals your moves do more damage and doing an RC during Danger Time will give you a "Mortal Counter" which ... lets you do even more damage. It's just pointless and completely breaks the action for no reason.
Danger Time sounds hilariously bad.

Thanks for the explanations. Are there different inputs for YRC, RRC, and PRC?

kirblar

Pretty much everyone hates YRCs, the question is really how they'll be retooled in the next major title update.

fader

no just timing and meter.

YRC - 25 percent during start up or atcive frames
RRC - 50 percent while they are in block or hitstun
PRC - 50 percent during recovery frames while they are not in block or hitstun

I feel like the obvious solution to this is to just make YRC cost 50 meter. Unless I am missing something here.

Nope, that'd pretty much do it in terms of removing the option select and making whiffing moves into YRC inherently more resource costly. Game's been out since February(?) of this year and we haven't seen anything in the way of gameplay tweaks though. I imagine Daisuke's probably waiting to tweak the system mechanics along with a larger balance update to the game. Potemkin, a character lacking a forward dash, relies on the YRC as an effective means of moving forward by cancelling his dash attack and engaging characters that can outpoke him. This and other considerations would need to be made if they mess with it, I just hope it's not going to be another disc that they're planning to throw these changes out with.

K.Sabot

My suggestion for YRC is to make it only available for certain moves on certain frames of that move, active or not. ;)

Anne

Most YRC problems can be resolved by changing which moves can be YRCed and removing the slow down.

Lemme tell you a story about Sol being able to YRC OS the active frames of his command grab, and if you jump he air grabs you. (Hint: there are ways out of this situation.)

Sayad

All use the same input, the burst bait option select is basically trying YRC after each hit in the combo when you have more than %25 meter but less than %50(so you can't get RRC), the moment your attack whiff because of the burst, you get a YRC.

fader

My suggestion for YRC is to make it only available for certain moves on certain frames of that move, active or not. ;)

soo Force.. Roman Cancel? -_-

Most YRC problems can be resolved by changing which moves can be YRCed and removing the slow down.

Lemme tell you a story about Sol being able to YRC OS the active frames of his command grab, and if you jump he air grabs you. (Hint: there are ways out of this situation.)

holy... s
ol.

Dahbomb

I feel like assigning which moves you can and can't YRC is a very "wack a mole" type balance tweaking and just causes more headaches for new players.

"Why can I YRC this move but not that move?"

"Because... reasons"

Clockw0rk

What are some of the biggest differences between high and low level play in the new Smash (or just Smash in general)? What separates a top Smash player from a random person who knows how to play but not at a competitive level?

also nice writeup casper!

K.Sabot

Is the way to YRC your own jump and initiate a YRC war or try and break a 1 frame throw?
gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

fader

I feel like assigning which moves you can and can't YRC is a very "wack a mole" type balance tweaking and just causes more headaches for new players.

"Because... reasons"

yea I hated FRC just made the game unnecessarily complicated. I feel YRC's can be balanced they might just need to buff Blue burst.

Anne

"Because... reasons"

They already do this though.

That's just a weird Sol thing.

Sayad

"Because... reasons"
There are already moves(DPs) that can't be YRC/PRC.

"Because... reasons"

This is already the way it works though, you can't YRC/PRC a Dragon Punch for example.

Edit : Lol.

Dahbomb

There are already moves(DPs) that can't be YRC/PRC.
That's what I am saying. They have already made this complicated with these exceptions and now they may be adding more exceptions to make the mechanic "balanced".

That's what I mean by "wack a mole" balancing.

"X move is too good with YRC... now it can't be YRC'd"

"Y move is too good with YRC... now it can't be YRC'd"

etc.

Sayad

yea I hated FRC just made the game unnecessarily complicated. I feel YRC's can be balanced they might just need to buff Blue burst.
Making chained/canceled into moves RRC/PRC only will stop the burst bait OS, I'd be fine with it only working for combos with links.

fader

Making chained/canceled into moves RRC only will stop the burst bait OS, I'd be fine with it only working for combos with links only.

ok that seems like a better idea imo. want to bait burst, use 2 bars. i like it. also a very GG type balancing.

Sayad

That's what I am saying. They have already made this complicated with these exceptions and now they may be adding more exceptions to make the mechanic "balanced".

That's what I mean by "wack a mole" balancing.

"X move is too good with YRC... now it can't be YRC'd"

"Y move is too good with YRC... now it can't be YRC'd"

etc.
Funny thing is, you get a huge "X" all over your character when you try to YRC an un-YRC-able move. They really don't want to confuse people.

So.. I think I know where this tag came from.

I was foolish to think all that T. Hawk trash talk wouldn't come with some repercussions.

gutabo

YO that Captain falcon killing diddy with a 3 hit combo...

EDIT: and both diddy players are out. Zero must be happy!

What are some of the biggest differences between high and low level play in the new Smash (or just Smash in general)? What separates a top Smash player from a random person who knows how to play but not at a competitive level?

Someone who knows the mechanics and can adapt to other people playing = top player
Someone who can't/doesn't = CountBlackule not a top player

also nice writeup casper!
Mostly reads, execution, and reaction speed. It is a very fundamentals-based game.

Top Bottom