• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trio the Punch let's you fight Colonel Sanders...and other "weirdest games ever made"

VGEsoterica

Now I love chicken as much as the next non-vegetarian out there...so I've never once been compelled to wonder if I could take Colonel Sanders in a fight. Maybe someone at PETA has had that idea but for me...the man knows his chicken! But nonetheless the Colonel showed up in a Japanese exclusive arcade game named Trio the Punch...and you must take down the colonel.

Data East made some absolutely iconic arcade games; Karnov, Chelnov, The Cliffhanger Edward Randy, WindJammers, RoboCop 2...the list could go on for forever. But they ALSO made some straight up weird s**t like Trio the Punch.

Basically Trio the Punch is...whatever it wants to be at that moment in time. Fight the moon? ok! Fight Colonel Sanders? yep! Fight a giant pink sheep? You got it! Its basically a mash up of every weird thing a developer could imagine all put into a uniquely charming and utterly insane beat em up game.

But GAF...have you played Trio the Punch? and what would you consider "the weirdest game of all time". We are talking the Cho Aniki's and Wattam's of the world

Toots

Gold Member
Now I love chicken as much as the next non-vegetarian out there...so I've never once been compelled to wonder if I could take Colonel Sanders in a fight. Maybe someone at PETA has had that idea but for me...the man knows his chicken! But nonetheless the Colonel showed up in a Japanese exclusive arcade game named Trio the Punch...and you must take down the colonel.

Data East made some absolutely iconic arcade games; Karnov, Chelnov, The Cliffhanger Edward Randy, WindJammers, RoboCop 2...the list could go on for forever. But they ALSO made some straight up weird s**t like Trio the Punch.

Basically Trio the Punch is...whatever it wants to be at that moment in time. Fight the moon? ok! Fight Colonel Sanders? yep! Fight a giant pink sheep? You got it! Its basically a mash up of every weird thing a developer could imagine all put into a uniquely charming and utterly insane beat em up game.

But GAF...have you played Trio the Punch? and what would you consider "the weirdest game of all time". We are talking the Cho Aniki's and Wattam's of the world

Japanese take on occidental culture during the 90s was truly a thing to behold

It actually wasn't very good of the game but the concept was interesting and clearly done to gain attention. Japan had several mascots in video games that weren't elsewhere, Coke, 7-11, Mr.Clean, and others, but all in all only Pepsi Man was in anything that was actually good imo. In comparison to the others.

He was in two fighting games, and has his own game which wasn't a bad arcade game even though there are a few issues with the collision detection. Shame Pepsi hasn't remade him in HD for modern games more often, or at least trying him out outside of Japan. It's even more confusing because he was a playable character in Fighting Vipers, which was a VF influenced title made to be more appealing to Americans, yet only the Japanese version has Pepsi Man playable.

VGEsoterica

It actually wasn't very good of the game but the concept was interesting and clearly done to gain attention. Japan had several mascots in video games that weren't elsewhere, Coke, 7-11, Mr.Clean, and others, but all in all only Pepsi Man was in anything that was actually good imo. In comparison to the others.

He was in two fighting games, and has his own game which wasn't a bad arcade game even though there are a few issues with the collision detection. Shame Pepsi hasn't remade him in HD for modern games more often, or at least trying him out outside of Japan. It's even more confusing because he was a playable character in Fighting Vipers, which was a VF influenced title made to be more appealing to Americans, yet only the Japanese version has Pepsi Man playable.

Pepsiman on PS1 is legit a good game. It’s simple but it’s a solid premise

Top Bottom