• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

In the previous games Roger & Alex were time release joke characters. Characters like P. Jack, Kuma and them were the comic relief. Part of a balance. Now new major characters are super anime and don't fit with the old aesthetic. Half the new characters the past few years don't even use a real martial art.

kirblar

In the previous games Roger & Alex were time release joke characters. Characters like P. Jack, Kuma and them were the comic relief. Part of a balance. Now new major characters are super anime and don't fit with the old aesthetic. Half the new characters the past few years don't even use a real martial art.
This may be the natural conclusion of the T7/3Dgame playerbase getting inbred and not growing, unfortunately.

Sayah

Niconico stream has 31,000 viewers even though it's just been running a re-run of what was already shown.

That lucky chloe hype. :lol

This may be the natural conclusion of the T7/3Dgame playerbase getting inbred and not growing, unfortunately.

Wat?

What is it with you and Tekken?

alstein

Would you say it's as bad as some of the MK DA-era character additions?

And I think the Tekken fanbase not growing leading to this is a legit topic. When you aren't growing, you have to pander hard just like what anime did most of the last 10 years to get more out of your existing fanbase.

petghost

Banned
And I think the Tekken fanbase not growing leading to this is a legit topic. When you aren't growing, you have to pander hard just like what anime did most of the last 10 years to get more out of your existing fanbase.

This is how I see it as well.

Would you say it's as bad as some of the MK DA-era character additions?

I don't really see Tekken as anime though, and that previously voted vampire character seemed a little more in line than this one... Looks like a BlazBlue character..

Sayah

What the fuck at the player base inbreeding comment. That's just gross and uncalled for.

Also the "mashy" character is Katarina.

Seriously.

Hey Kirblar, let's assume SFV got its own "Lucky Chloe" character. How does this comment sound?

This may be the natural conclusion of the SFV/2Dgame playerbase getting inbred and not growing, unfortunately.

Read and think before you post.

lol Chloe looks like as if she were modified with customizations already.

You would think the kind of reception Namco got bringing Kunimitsu back would give them a hint on how to design future characters.

Tekken needs to go back to classic, tasteful designs like a boxing Kangaroo, dinosaur, and mecha girl with chainsaws for arms.

Alisa was introduced in Tekken 6. That's like calling Seth in Street Fighter classic.

That new character is really stupid looking, haha. I don't mind the anime, just not the anime harada is pushing. Just put Gon in. Hxh Gon.

Btw, I hate Karen too!!

Nyoro SF

I agree with Q. The character really doesn't have a theme which is bothersome. Just a bunch of stuff thrown together for a supposedly cute look... but all I see is clashing of style.

kirblar

It's inbred because it's (Tekken) marketing to an ever-narrowing playerbase and isn't growing.

Have you two really never encountered that term outside of referring to the X-Files episode "Home"? Spare me the false outrage.

Dlent

Tekken has a strong and growing community, just not in America. Just because a game isn't getting 10k viewers every week at NLBC or WNF(Z) doesn't mean that it's dead. Feels like r/kappa in here.

Sayah

If Harada keeps this up I cannot make fun of DOA anymore. She looks like some belongs in Star Ocean IV.

Star Ocean IV.....that's actually a very fitting universe for this character.

It's inbred because it's (Tekken) marketing to an ever-narrowing playerbase and isn't growing.

Have you two really never encountered that term outside of referring to the X-Files episode "Home"? Spare me the false outrage.

166.gif

CPS2

I dunno I kinda think gaming could use more weird fetishy characters. SF is going full furry, so I don't see why Tekken can't go breakdancing furry loli.

Tekken will be getting that girl from the VR pervert simulator game Harada's making as DLC, bet it

Like, on some level I sort of get it, because it's what sells things in Japan and I'm sure it's the top of the list for whatever sort of focus testing they're doing over there. It's probably the Japanese equivalent for iron sights or generic white dude protagonists for Western gaming, but it's still frustrating to watch all my favorite cultural exports from Japan slowly merge into a waifu industry I have no interest in.

Beesuit

Tekken players have real life jobs than to stream monster or attend weeklies. Lucky Chloe is a welcome addition to the cast and will ensure that every Tekken players life is as genki as can be.
hFDA95C37.jpg

Marz

Can anyone post the confirmed cast so far for T7? Hoping Jinpachi makes the cut otherwise I'll just play Feng or Bryan.

This game is back to just being a 1v1 fighter right?

Grakl

I dunno I kinda think gaming could use more weird fetishy characters. SF is going full furry, so I don't see why Tekken can't go breakdancing furry loli.
It's not even half furry, they're pretty much just wearing animal costumes.

Sayah

Can anyone post the confirmed cast so far for T7? Hoping Jinpachi makes the cut otherwise I'll just play Feng or Bryan.

This game is back to just being a 1v1 fighter right?

Yeah, it's a 1v1 fighter.

Confirmed roster so far (not including chloe revealed today). There will be time released characters so we won't know the finalized roster for a while.

wpid-img_137328032551159.jpeg

NEO0MJ

Man, I hope Harada didn't cut the arab character from Tekken 7, I was really looking forward to him.

Potential sales are the roadblock. It depends on how much Sony wants to continue to push Vita.

You already saw the support they showed for it in Playstation experience...

Marz

Yeah, it's a 1v1 fighter.

Confirmed roster so far (not including chloe revealed today). There will be time released characters so we won't know the finalized roster for a while.

wpid-img_137328032551159.jpeg

Thanks. That looks like a pretty solid roster to me so far.

Game looks really good. I'm so happy we have all these amazing fighting games coming out very soon. Now SNK just needs to get with the plan.

Sayah

It's funny nobody's talking about the major visual update seen in the new trailer. Before a lot of people were whining about how it looked terrible. Now there's a new thing to complain about.

People tend to gravitate towards the negative I guess.

Man, I hope Harada didn't cut the arab character from Tekken 7, I was really looking forward to him.

https://twitter.com/harada_tekken/status/531640976662466560

Thanks. That looks like a pretty solid roster to me so far.

Game looks really good. I'm so happy we have all these amazing fighting games coming out very soon. Now SNK just needs to get with the plan.

No prob.

Edit: Tekken 7 exhibition tournament starting in 240p niconico resolution.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv200633605

NEO0MJ

It's funny nobody's talking about the major visual update seen in the new trailer. Before a lot of people were whining about how it looked terrible. Now there's a new thing to complain about.

People tend to gravitate towards the negative I guess.

I think it might also be because the art-style didn't have a significant change and so you don't notice the upgrades as well.

Good to know.

You guys over used that word and destroyed it's meaning. Also she looks 20 that is not loli, she look borderline to troll people. And it worked hook line and sinker.

I'm angry because I feel the series already had several characters cover that character archtype, especially Lilly and Alisa. Should have gone with something a little more fresh, maybe an old lady. For some reason the old master is still restricted to men.

Shouta

wat?

Master Cup pulled massive numbers recently. It's a healthy community, just not in the US because everyone that plays Tekken here has jobs!

Anyway, Lucky Chloe looks like they just wanted to add another character to have fun with or to pull in some fringe fans that want a char that's cute. It also allows them to create a style that doesn't adhere to anything specifically kind of like Alisa.

kirblar

wat?

Master Cup pulled massive numbers recently. It's a healthy community, just not in the US because everyone that plays Tekken here has jobs!

Anyway, Lucky Chloe looks like they just wanted to add another character to have fun with or to pull in some fringe fans that want a char that's cute. It also allows them to create a style that doesn't adhere to anything specifically kind of like Alisa.
Harada's mentioned being reticent to cut characters/features for fear of losing existing fans/customers. It's more an issue of "I know 13yo me was playing the heck out of Tekken 3, but would 13yo me in 2014 actually even take a look at Tekken 7?"

Top Bottom