• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fictional Podcasts |OT| - "You mean it isn't real?"

Haven't listened to the first episode yet, but the series sounds like it could be a nice Limetown replacement

A New Winter - Season 1 finished, sounds like Season 2 will be starting soon
It's the winter of 2000 in a small village in the UK and a family have been brutally murdered in suspicious circumstances. The only evidence is one set of footprints in the snow leading to the murder scene - but nothing leaving it. This is a man's first hand account of what happened in this brutal winter where over 25 people were murdered or had disappeared

frequency

Got that half episode of Secrets, Crimes & Audiotape in my Bright Sessions feed. I don't know if it's the acting or what but wow was that annoyingly terrible.

Another Night Vale Presents:

The Orbiting Human Circus (of the Air) - starts October 12th
Atop the Eiffel Tower, a lonely janitor stumbles into a series of alternately surreal and comic adventures as he becomes part of a mystery: what is the secret behind the wildly popular, bizarrely impossible live radio variety show being broadcast from the tower’s top?
http://orbitinghumancircus.com/

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Been listening to Ars Paradoxica as well. Very impressed with the production quality.
Got that half episode of Secrets, Crimes & Audiotape in my Bright Sessions feed. I don't know if it's the acting or what but wow was that annoyingly terrible.
The story about the married couple in Secrets, Crimes, and Audiotapes has been merely ok, if slightly annoying with the acting. Their previews on the JFK assassination and the Serial musical, however, have me intrigued.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Interestingly, the ending to the story in Secrets Crimes and Audiotape was genuinely thrilling. I just think it was a mistake to have it split in three parts in order to fill their schedule. It ends up working more as a cohesive whole.

Excited about the JFK story next week.

DagsJT

Managed 10 mins of Ars Paradoxica before I turned it off. Just sounded too cheesy and really poorly acted. Is it worth persevering with?

I can't chill with New Winter. I'm on episode 8, but the narrator is an idiot. Bugs the he'll out of me.

Digging the Magnus Archives though.

Chorazin

I'm kinda getting sick of just how skeptical the Magnus Archives guy is. I mean, come on dude. We get that your organization is supposed to investigate these claims but after so much weird shit.....it's starting to break my suspension of disbelief.

I'm kinda getting sick of just how skeptical the Magnus Archives guy is. I mean, come on dude. We get that your organization is supposed to investigate these claims but after so much weird shit.....it's starting to break my suspension of disbelief.
That's my biggest issues. The stories are good, the writing is good, but that skepticism is ridiculous at this point.

frequency

I take it as he is saying it on recording to just try to reassure himself. There are moments and glimpses where you see the facade lapses and he is unsure. Especially in more recent episodes.

Sulik2

I was starting to think Welcome to the Magic tavern was starting to lose its luster then they drop that mirror world episode which is among the best of the entire show. They still got it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Managed 10 mins of Ars Paradoxica before I turned it off. Just sounded too cheesy and really poorly acted. Is it worth persevering with?
I think the time traveling scenarios are worth it, but it is difficult to follow it at times due to how every character is yet another scientist with a smartass attitude.
I was starting to think Welcome to the Magic tavern was starting to lose its luster then they drop that mirror world episode which is among the best of the entire show. They still got it.
The political satire with the goblins has been on point! The Chunt's Night episode wasn't that long ago either.

Haven't listened to it yet, but the premise should interesting

Diary of a Madman - 2 episodes in
http://www.madmandiary.com/
Have you ever wondered why people do horrible things to one another? What could drive a man to hurt, harm, or even kill? Finally, we may have an answer. Follow along as, each week, we feature the recorded diary entries of someone known only as "the madman." Get inside his head and get twisted.

Malyse

I have these podcasts in my feed that no one here recommended and I never added, but here they are all the same. Ad Astral and A Scottish Podcast are two I've found so far...

Natiko

Banned
Just finished up episode 13 of Sayer.
I definitely understand the choice to branch off and do more perspectives to better flesh out the world. I just hope it doesn't become too hard to keep track of everything.
Started a new job so I haven't been able to listen as much lately but it should be normalizing again soon.

Mupod

I've got at least 10 hours of driving coming up this weekend - I used to listen to the Bombcast/Beastcast for these trips but my work commute increased dramatically this year. So I'm already caught up on those.

I've yet to venture outside gaming podcasts - my driving time each week is almost exactly the usual running time of the Bombcast/Beastcast. But I thought it'd be fun and in the spirit of the season to bring some horror-themed podcasts with me on the trip. More_Badass' description of Magnus Archives has me interested in that for sure.

I dunno if I'll be making this a regular thing so I'm not sure I want to jump into something that's more about an ongoing storyline.

I've got at least 10 hours of driving coming up this weekend - I used to listen to the Bombcast/Beastcast for these trips but my work commute increased dramatically this year. So I'm already caught up on those.

I've yet to venture outside gaming podcasts - my driving time each week is almost exactly the usual running time of the Bombcast/Beastcast.
Sayer is my other favorite. That one is already finished

Once you venture outside of gaming podcasts, there's no going back. Podcasts is the entertainment medium I consume the most nowadays, more than TV, games, movies, etc.

You might also find this thread useful: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1070372

Natiko

Banned
Just listened to the newest Magnus Archives. I get the impression those of you here complaining about skepticism weren't the the only ones lol

Chorazin

Really enjoyed the first three episodes of The Deep Vault, haven't gotten a chance to listen to four yet. Good stuff, great production.

Just listened to the newest Magnus Archives. I get the impression those of you here complaining about skepticism weren't the the only ones lol

Nice, I'll give it a listen in a minute. I knew after the last one something would happen this time.

Natiko

Banned
Nice, I'll give it a listen in a minute. I knew after the last one something would happen this time.
It's pretty good, a bit different than usual. The show notes mention there's one more episode left in season one. I wonder if
they'll wrap up this overarching story and move on to a new one for season 2. The fact that the attack is happening now would lead me to think they might wrap this up here. There's always the mystery of his predecessor that they could dive into next season as well.

Chorazin

Man, King's Falls AM really hit it out of the park this week. That was good stuff!

It's pretty good, a bit different than usual. The show notes mention there's one more episode left in season one. I wonder if
they'll wrap up this overarching story and move on to a new one for season 2. The fact that the attack is happening now would lead me to think they might wrap this up here. There's always the mystery of his predecessor that they could dive into next season as well.

It was pretty great, I liked the change in format. Now that
he's admitted he believes the ones he records
hopefully we'll finish this season up next episode and move into a more open and investigative season 2. They could dive into what you mentioned, or why the Archive doesn't do more in the outside world (my money is on the Archive being part of a much bigger organization) they could get their hands on more books from The Library, or any of the other plot dangles from S1.

Lach

Caught up to episode 30 of Magnus Archives. Should be up to speed by end of the week.

I don't get the skepticism criticism. He clearly accepts the supernatural and orders investigations into all the cases. But even if you accept supernatural beings and phenomena, there will still be cases that can be dismissed as hallucinations etc.

Chorazin

Caught up to episode 30 of Magnus Archives. Should be up to speed by end of the week.

I don't get the skepticism criticism. He clearly accepts the supernatural and orders investigations into all the cases. But even if you accept supernatural beings and phenomena, there will still be cases that can be dismissed as hallucinations etc.

He orders investigations to disprove them is what bothers me.

But you'll find out what's in a few episodes...

Just saw that Marscorp is ending. I should probably check it out

And I finally got around to Beef and Dairy Network podcast thanks to your post, Malyse

Malyse

Just saw that Marscorp is ending. I should probably check it out

And I finally got around to Beef and Dairy Network podcast thanks to your post, Malyse
Marscorp is limited. It was only ever going to be 12 episodes.

I really would love if that interview was with an actual person they tricked.

Mupod

Downloaded a mix of several podcasts to listen to on my long drives over the weekend. Ended up mostly only listening to one - Black Tapes lost me pretty quick but damn, Magnus Archives grabbed me and didn't let go.

Some of the files I downloaded were corrupted so I missed the first few (the first one I was able to listen to was the one with the handyman/carpenter in the old house). It's becoming apparent that there is some continuity and self-referential stuff, so I should definitely go back to the ones I missed before listening much further. But it's exactly what I was looking for so far.

Downloaded a mix of several podcasts to listen to on my long drives over the weekend. Ended up mostly only listening to one - Black Tapes lost me pretty quick but damn, Magnus Archives grabbed me and didn't let go.

Some of the files I downloaded were corrupted so I missed the first few (the first one I was able to listen to was the one with the handyman/carpenter in the old house). It's becoming apparent that there is some continuity and self-referential stuff, so I should definitely go back to the ones I missed before listening much further. But it's exactly what I was looking for so far.
That's odd. What app do you use? All of them download fine for me (I use Pocket Casts)

My other favorites are Sayer, Limetown, Hello From The Magic Tavern, and Uncanny County

Mupod

That's odd. What app do you use? All of them download fine for me (I use Pocket Casts)

My other favorites are Sayer, Limetown, Hello From The Magic Tavern, and Uncanny County

I use the 'my car stereo is an MP3-CD with no aux port, and I burn a CD for long trips' app. I just got them off the rusty quill site and they played fine in foobar but didn't like being played in the car. I'll chalk it up to the supernatural.

But yeah I've been meaning to swap out the stereo for something more modern, seeing as my old Yaris is on track to outlive humanity. I have an FM transmitter but it has problems remembering where I was in podcasts which renders it useless.

scotcheggz

I just got my new podcast accepted on iTunes so posting a self congratulatory link if anyone is interested! Rather than spamming a load of links, heres my main site: moya107.com which has links to my RSS, iTunes and has the podcast in youtube and libsyn player. I submitted it to sticher but only just a while ago, so I'm still waiting on the review stage for that.

Appreciate any feedback you guys might have. I'm pretty new to all this and sort of just thought I'd have a crack on a whim. The main focus is horror and msytery and it's set up as a fictional radio show from a fictional country which will sort of have a meta-story building it's world along with the short stories in each episode. It's only two episodes old so far. On that note, what sort of schedule is common for fictional podcasts? I haven't worked out yet if I should hit a weekly or bi-weekly schedule. I'm happy to go weekly, but do people want that?!

Chorazin

The Orbiting Flying Circus (of the Air) is.... different.

Not quite sure how much I like it.

EDIT: Well damn, if the "stories" keep being like this one it would be worth it for them alone.

I just got my new podcast accepted on iTunes so posting a self congratulatory link if anyone is interested! Rather than spamming a load of links, heres my main site: moya107.com which has links to my RSS, iTunes and has the podcast in youtube and libsyn player. I submitted it to sticher but only just a while ago, so I'm still waiting on the review stage for that.

Appreciate any feedback you guys might have. I'm pretty new to all this and sort of just thought I'd have a crack on a whim. The main focus is horror and msytery and it's set up as a fictional radio show from a fictional country which will sort of have a meta-story building it's world along with the short stories in each episode. It's only two episodes old so far. On that note, what sort of schedule is common for fictional podcasts? I haven't worked out yet if I should hit a weekly or bi-weekly schedule. I'm happy to go weekly, but do people want that?!
Checked this out. On one hand, I like the premise. I've been waiting for a series like that, that takes the radio station in a weird place premise like Night Vale but plays it straight. And the sound effects and acting is pretty good too

But I found the stories and writing to be kind...pedestrian. Some of my favorite series are Magnus Archives and early Black Tapes/Tanis and what make those creepy and effective was the sense of the unknown. These horrific terrifying things just happen, and, to borrow a line from Dr Strange, we're just seeing through a keyhole. We and the victims only have a limited perspective and don't understand the why and how, which makes these unknownable horrors scarier. While for example, the Hitcher is "these things happen, and then these things happen, and now it's an urban legend". I'd say having too many descriptions and details can lessen the horror and weirdness, while keeping more things vague can make the events creepier

Also I feel like the premise of just reading stories kind of squanders the radio station premise. Maybe having the stories written like news articles, 911 call transcripts, etc., basically in-universe text might be more effective IMO. That might help with world building, like a Moya Department of Transportation statement telling citizens to avoid [insert region], and then you get a listener email from that area.

As for schedule, most I listen to tend to be weekly or every other week

scotcheggz

Checked this out. On one hand, I like the premise. I've been waiting a series like that, that takes the radio station in a weird place premise like Night Vale but plays it straight. And the sound effects and acting is pretty good too

But I found the stories and writing to be kind...pedestrian. Some of my favorite series are Magnus Archives and early Black Tapes/Tanis and what make those creepy and effective was the sense of the unknown. These horrific terrifying things just happen, and, to borrow a line from Dr Strange, we're just seeing through a keyhole. We and the victims only have a limited perspective and don't understand the why and how, which makes these unknownable horrors scarier. While for example, the Hitcher is "these things happen, and then these things happen, and now it's an urban legend". I'd say having too many descriptions and details can lessen the horror and weirdness, while keeping more things vague can make the events creepier

Also I feel like the premise of just reading stories kind of squanders the radio station premise. Maybe having the stories written like news articles, 911 call transcripts, etc., basically in-universe text might be more effective IMO. That might help with world building, like a Moya Department of Transportation statement telling citizens to avoid [insert region], and then you get a listener email from that area.

Thanks for this! I actually do plan to take it more in the direction you mentiooned at the end, with more of the 'world building' stuff peeping in, Nightvale was a big inspiration for that side of it! It's the moya state elections coming up soon, so in next weeks episode there is a state party broadcast for example, which will help introduce listeners to the poitics of Moya, whilst I have a concept to 'censor' parts of it so as to not give too much away. I do genuinely want the horrors of Moya to work alongside it, as it's definitely not the wonderful place the radio guy makes it out to be (essentially it's going to be built around the idea of a failing communist state with supernatural/occult stuff blended in) I think with Halloween coming up, I got caught in the straight horror idea a bit too much, probably in retrospect, a bit short termism in my thinking there. I'll take all this on board and hopefully improve. Your comments are definitely along the lines that I'd like to take it though, providing I actually have the talent for that which remains to be seen lol.

I appreciate your taking the time to give me your feedback man, It's really helpful. I was basically just looking at my music recording setup one day last week and thought hey, I enjoy writing, I could make a podcast! So this is all really new to me.

Malyse

Checked this out. On one hand, I like the premise. I've been waiting a series like that, that takes the radio station in a weird place premise like Night Vale but plays it straight. And the sound effects and acting is pretty good too

Cosigning this. I think you have the potential for a really interesting and unnerving podcast with the format you've chosen.

Podcasts are generally weekly, biweekly, or monthly. One thing I suggest: bank some extra episodes. You'll thank me later.

I'm surprised that Magnus Archives Season 2 will be coming back so soon. December according to the last episode. That seems like a really fast turnaround compared to other series

Top Bottom