• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water |OT| Pokémon Snap U: After Dark

bomblord1

Banned
First impressions:
-Game looks great in some areas but some of the close up textures need work.
-I like that its not just jump scares left and right, there's some spooky ass subtle things thrown at you. I laughed when I noticed that the doll in sitting on the dresser faces you after you pick up the key in Drop 1.
-Motion controls are cool in theory but they are a bit too finicky for my liking. I'm sure others will play fine with it (especially since my TV sits higher than most people's) but I've already turned it off.

Picture:
pdLQ1Iw.jpg

I haven't played a Wii U game that tapped into its 4th duct-taped Gamecube since Bayonetta 2

Looks really good the cloth physics and how they react differently when wet in this game is really impressive.

Vena

Started this up yesterday for the first Drop, and I have to say if nothing else (beyond the clunky ass tank controls) the mood is rock solid. They did an excellent job in that regard.

I think I will probably buy this.

tesqui

Played the trial last night and thought it was pretty good! I really liked the atmosphere. I kind of want to put this on hold now until I check out the earlier games though.

DVCY201

Played the demo for a bit. Definitely an interesting hybrid of tank controls, takes a moment to get used to. Overall, I quite enjoyed it. Although the mission structure makes it feel a bit disjointed akin to MGSV. I'll pick it up soon hopefully, just don't have the budget right now

JJD

I'm downloading the demo. Hopefully I'll be able to deal with the tablet controller...

I miss FF...

kunonabi

maaya sakamoto doesn't do many male roles, surprisingly enough. :p

(did she do any?)

reflects the level of activity in this thread :(

At least there is some miiverse activity based on the amount of people bitching at me on there.

catbrush

I spent a little time with the demo. Pretty atmospheric game. Some of you need to re-examine what PS2 games looked like. I preferred the wiimote controls in 4, but using the gamepad is pretty fun. I guess I'll drop the 50 bones because I need to know what happens.

adroit

I finished the demo tonight and now I'm downloading the full game. Easy decision.

One thing I don't understand...

In Drop 1, targeting put a box around the ghost I was aiming at and tracked it around as advertised. However, in Drop 2 this tracking box wouldn't appear and it didn't seem to be tracking the ghost. Was Drop 1 giving me a demo of some tracking feature which has to be purchased or unlocked? Or was I doing something stupid in Drop 2? (<- This question practically answers itself, doesn't it?)

I tried to go back and replay Drop 2 to possibly figure it out myself but once you finish the demo it won't let you replay without erasing your save file (starting over from the beginning of the demo). So now I'm waiting for the full game to download and install.

Played through the demo, not really a huge fan of what story has been shown so far. The actual ghost stories seem fine but I don't really care for the idea that your character is some kind of bizarre psychic detective or some such.

The actual combat part of the game is very fun and works great with the Wii U gamepad. Lining up shots is a ton of fun. But the way your character controls in 3rd person mode feels pretty bad compared to the first three games (never played 4), mainly in how awkwardly they turn. I was able to get used to it after awhile but it never felt natural.

Planning to pick it up later this year still.

I'm having some really frustrating audio issues where I can hear the menu selection sounds, but no voices or environment sounds. Volume is up as high as it can go, and I've tried 2 pairs of headphones both giving the same effect.. anyone else experiencing this?

I tested further and can hear all audio fine when I load up Splatoon..

adroit

I'm having some really frustrating audio issues where I can hear the menu selection sounds, but no voices or environment sounds. Volume is up as high as it can go, and I've tried 2 pairs of headphones both giving the same effect.. anyone else experiencing this?
The game doesn't fully support GamePad audio. You have to use the audio out from the console if you want to hear everything.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So im playing the free to start, on the 2nd chapter and will be buying the full game probably later tonight,and when I was in the house, which is the safest I ever thought I'd be in a fatal frame game, I couldnt help but just appreciate how great the character model was, the game adds to it with some great lighting, but man, the character model is just so on point. If there was a such thing as a perfect character model, this would be it, even the hair, despite not being next gen hair, just looks good. I know this is based off of the DOA engine so i knew they really wanted the models nice looking. But I underestimated how good they look.

foxuzamaki

So no off tv play on the Gamepad?

Basically the enitre game from what ive played so far is off-tv but cutscenes for some reason doesnt have sound, such a weird decision.

Also my experience with the gamepad is interesting, when I was able to fight a ghoust I got all ready and shit but then started panicking, I am so use to splatoon's motion control of using the gamepad to look up and down and right analogue stick for left and right that I started freaking out when it didnt happen, after i got that settled down it was pretty fun to fight enemies, though the ghosts take alot of hits

Was somewhat surprised by some of the more harsh reviews given 2 wii was well received. Is this a notably worse/different game than the two Wii entries which are some of my favorite horror games in recent years?

foxuzamaki

Was somewhat surprised by some of the more harsh reviews given 2 wii was well received. Is this a notably worse/different game than the two Wii entries which are some of my favorite horror games in recent years?

This is my first fatal frame so I cant actually answer your question im afraid, but from what I've played it looks like for the most part what all the other fatal frames looked like (IE what they played like), cept graphically better.

foxuzamaki

I cant deal when there are 2 ghosts, I cant help myself from freaking out, I just paused after fighting 2 ghosts, one a school girl and this was after some chick in black and red robes was floating infront of me after reading a note, it kinda shocked me but I quickly composed myself and took a picture of it, but it didnt seem to do anything, unless i didnt take it right, the way it showed up was kinda subtle in a way, I didnt notice it immediately.

Would've played it yesterday but it took forever to download. Had to delete metroid prime trilogy. Going to try it tonite. Looking forward to it.

SalvaPot

Can´t even download, I have to delete all my other games to do so and I am the type of person who plays like 8 games at the same time...

maybe its time to get that HD...

foxuzamaki

Had to quit for the night, That last situation scarred me more than I realized, I turned into a bitch ;_; I'll finish the demo tomorrow, still buying the game, as im actually enjoying it.

Just not use to horror games despite not being anywhere near as scared as I am now, I think its the atmosphere ;_;

Plumpman

Sorry I just meant USB Stick, External, Whatever doesn't matter. Will it fit on 16gb? I'm thinking no because that 17gb needs to be on the target drive not split.

foxuzamaki

I think it would, i guess, idk, I have a 500 GB hard drive so ive been set for a lil while now.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How the heck are you supposed to dodge? I press b when it prompts me, but all it does is take me out of camera mode and I get hit every time.

Persona7

Banned
Sorry I just meant USB Stick, External, Whatever doesn't matter. Will it fit on 16gb? I'm thinking no because that 17gb needs to be on the target drive not split.
I have it on my 32GB flash drive. OP says the filesize is over 17GB so it won't fit on a 16GB drive.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I don't understand the harsh reviews either. It seems exactly like every other fatal frame for the 2 hours I played it. Maybe the whole thing falls apart soon ?

ohlawd

How the heck are you supposed to dodge? I press b when it prompts me, but all it does is take me out of camera mode and I get hit every time.
you're too slow on the swing. dead serious.

gotta preempt these things. press before the prompt because if you do it on the prompt you're gonna get groped by flying dead ladies in kimonos

foxuzamaki

Is this dodge button in the demo? I dont ever remember it being apart of the tutorial and when enemies hit me(which to be fair, is very little) I havent seen any button prompt.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
you're too slow on the swing. dead serious.

gotta preempt these things. press before the prompt because if you do it on the prompt you're gonna get groped by flying dead ladies in kimonos

What is the behavior supposed to be if I am successful? Whenever I hit it- at the prompt, slightly before the prompt- all that happens is it drops me out of camera mode. I can dodge from camera mode, right?

ohlawd

What is the behavior supposed to be if I am successful? Whenever I hit it- at the prompt, slightly before the prompt- all that happens is it drops me out of camera mode. I can dodge from camera mode, right?
yeah, you can dodge out of search and camera mode. your character acts like they almost stepped on dog shit - sidestep the fuck up and raise their arms like they don't give a fuck so you end up dropping out of camera mode.

I mean, the important thing to take away if you're doing it right is you take no damage when ghosts are lunging at you. it shouldn't be a problem when you drop the camera because after the dodge you position yourself again further away by running

No they weren't. The complaints about tilting the wiimote to aim the flashlight were always totally over blown. Using the analog stick for left/right movement and the wiimote to aim it up or down worked perfectly well. Everthing else controlled just as expected and infinitely smoother than what's going on with FFV.

Is that how FF4 controlled as well? I found it intolerable in the remake of 2. The motion controls always lagged, and splitting the controls don't really work if, say, you want to move the camera in any diagonal direction. Just ... why? Why split movement control into two separate control systems?

foxuzamaki

Is that how FF4 controlled as well? I found it intolerable in the remake of 2. The motion controls always lagged, and splitting the controls don't really work if, say, you want to move the camera in any diagonal direction. Just ... why? Why split movement control into two separate control systems?

Making a hard to move tankish control scheme for the wii

kunonabi

You never need to move to move the flashlight diagonally and you pretty much use the lock on for everything with the camera. There isn't a really need for the flashlight or the camera to operate like a gun in a shooter so the controls don't really need to function the same way. The controls felt pretty natural to me pretty quickly.

Top Bottom