• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water |OT| Pokémon Snap U: After Dark

TheMoon

zeroott3se5.jpg

Developed by: Tecmo Koei
Published by: Nintendo
Platform: Wii U
Release Dates: September 27, 2014 (JP) / October 22, 2015 (NA) / October 30, 2015 (EU) / October 31, 2015 (AUNZ)
Genre: Third Person Survival Horror
Off-TV Play: No
Supported Controllers: Wii U GamePad
Motion Controls: Yes (Optional!)
Language (Audio): English / Japanese (yes, dual audio in all Western versions!)
eShop download file size:
  • 6.2GB [10GB free needed to start download] (trial version)
  • 8GB [11GB free needed to start download] (full game unlock add-on)
  • Final total file size: 14.3GB (17GB of total free space is needed to download everything)

If you want to rant about the costumes, go into this thread and keep that stuff out of here

storyzeronzpxy.png

Ever heard of the "Suicide Forest?" That's where this takes place (a fictionalized version of it). Here, it's called Mt. Hikami and people tend to go there and ...never come back.

The game will tell the stories of three playable characters whose stories will converge at some point. You're mostly going after people that disappeared at Mt. Hikami. Bad things are obviously going on. Find out the rest yourself.

The three playable characters are:

Yuri Kozukata
Miu Hinasaki
Ren Hojo

Oh and I guess Ayane is in it too (post-game bonus chapter)

gameplayzero2ekh5.png

Unlike previous games in the series, you're taking on "missions" and you can replay those at will. After picking a mission, you travel to Mt. Hikami to investigate and do the usual picture taking of ghosts while trying to unravel whatever mystery presents itself. It's noteworthy that the areas are the largest in the series yet, so don't let the mission structure irritate you.

The "ghost hands" events from the previous two games return, along with the third person over-the-shoulder camera perspective.

The Camera Obscura is represented via the Wii U GamePad in this game. You can twist and turn it to frame the ghosts for maximum damage but you can also simply control it with the analog sticks.

bonusfnjkc.png

If you like weird crossovers, the post-game Ayane chapter has you covered. Here, the gameplay is based on avoiding ghosts and stealthiness since Ayane has no Camera Obscura.

purchaszero6cj19.png

North America: The game is only available digitally through the Wii U eShop. You download a free Trial Version of the first three chapters and then choose to buy the full game download if you're so inclined.
PAL regions: The same Trial offer exists but PAL territories also get the option to buy a Limited Edition physical release of the game with a Steelbook, Artbook, a double-sided poster as well as four spirit photographs. Other than this limited edition, there will be no physical release of the game. **UPDATE** Unless you live in Australia, where there has been a last minute addition in the form of a standalone SKU of the game.
Japan: Here, the game was released normally at retail and through the eShop as a full download in 2014.

Links:
Review Thread
OMG Outrage thread
Official NA Site
Official EU Site
Giant Bomb Wiki with a bunch of gameplay info
Siliconera interview with Makoto Shibata (Koei Tecmo) and Toru Osawa (Nintendo SPD)

#####

I'll expand the OT a bit over the next days. A bit busy at the moment. Sorry for the dumb subtitle. :)

#####

Jucksalbe

Banned
Still have to wait another week....(but at least I have the LE preordered, still not convinced they won't cancel it, though).

Have the game pre-ordered, so looking forward to hearing impressions.

And nice OT!

Is the demo already available in Europe as well??

Nintendo UK said that the trial version would be available at launch, so not yet - I was hoping otherwise so I checked the other day!

Porcile

Have to wait another week yet. Worth the wait for the physical edition and steelbook though!

I had no idea there was Fatal Frame community thread as well.

Also, the review thread OP is terrible. The game got an 8 from EDGE which should definitely be there.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Great title, OP! :D
Btw, I've reviewed the game and I'm SO GLAD they localized this, this time. I played also the fourth, via homebrew, but being able to "normally" play it is way better. Good gamepad use to me, good visuals, clunky camera movements, decent story but not as good as the 4th one, overall: I've really liked it.

Jimrpg

Is the demo downloadable today?

Any word on the price of the Australian eshop version. The product page is up on the eshop but there's no mention of the price.

Have to wait another week yet. Worth the wait for the physical edition and steelbook though!

I had no idea there was Fatal Frame community thread as well.

Also, the review thread OP is terrible. The game got an 8 from EDGE which should definitely be there.

I believe you would need an online link which i don't think the EDGE review has but i guess just adding it normally to the OP wouldn't hurt

I was really interested to play this especially now during the dark winter months and after just finishing Until Dawn and now recently Life is Strange I'd need some atmospheric and story based thrills. Some of the average reviews have made me reconsider a bit so I think I'll wait some good old GAF impressions.

Bowl0l

I was really interested to play this especially now during the dark winter months and after just finishing Until Dawn and now recently Life is Strange I'd need some atmospheric and story based thrills. Some of the average reviews have made me reconsider a bit so I think I'll wait some good old GAF impressions.
Just try the demo if you have the space.

if your in NA you can just get the free demo version later today and try it out get the first 2 chapters i think.

Just try the demo if you have the space.

if your in NA you can just get the free demo version later today and try it out get the first 2 chapters i think.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'd really like to try the demo, but I'm in Europe. Does the demo come out here at all?

After a fast search "Finally, a demo of the game is coming to the European eShop on release day, enabling users to try out the game’s prologue and first two chapters, for free."

Great, I'll try it out.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions, I'd really like to try the demo, but I'm in Europe. Does the demo come out here at all?

Yes, should come out next week. The release model in Europe is basically the same as in NA, it's just that we get a (very) limited retail release on top of that.

Gonna check out the trial later today. Been looking for a good horror game to showcase at my college's video game club on Halloween weekend.

Nice OT, TheMoon! I'm super excited this got a Western release, and can't wait to try it out. Hopefully the download won't take too long later when I get back from school, cause I really want to try this tonight.

I really hope the game does well, but I feel Nintendo has sadly set it up for failure with a digital only launch and no marketing :/

Top Bottom