• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Without bonus costumes Fatal Frame V sees further censorship in main story

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
still buying, but meh. thats gonna annoy my girlfriend. she is so happy the game is coming to europe and was exited for all that stuff.

kiryogi

Banned
Wasnt the character a gravare (or whatever the term is) model?

Yup she was.

For folks that don't know what a Gravure Idol is.

A gravure idol (グラビアアイドル gurabia aidoru?), often abbreviated to gradol (グラドル guradoru?),[1] is a Japanese female model who primarily models in magazines, especially those marketed to men, photobooks, or DVDs. Gravure idols, in most cases, emphasize their sexual attractiveness and often model in swimsuits.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This is a little harder to justify considering that it's story content, no matter how small. It's more than after completion extras anyway.

BiggNife

For those who are at work -

The original game has a cutscene with the protagonist in a bikini. The US/EU versions change it so she's wearing a sleveless designer shirt and skirt.

I don't really see it as a big deal and I don't think it effects anything. It's pretty clear she's still a model and it's pretty clear she's trying to look sexy in the photo shoot.

But whatever, people can get mad about it if they want to, since it is technically censorship and I understand why people are opposed to that. I don't want to get in an argument about it.

DrArchon

Seems super half-assed to be honest. The camera shots are completely unchanged, so it still looks pervy even without the swimsuit. If they weren't gonna go all out they shouldn't have even tried because now they're just gonna piss off everyone.

chrono01

All of this censoring in an M-rated game. It's so disappointing. It's been a steady decrease of excitement from me, starting with news that we were getting a digital-only release [in NA]. Then news that the bonus/swimsuit costumes were removed, and now this.

I guess I'll just import a Japanese copy and play it, as it was intended to, on my NA Wii U consol--

Oh. :/

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This is a little harder to justify considering that it's story content, no matter how small. It's more than after completion extras anyway.
Yeah, NoA dun goofed with this one big time. Not sure what makes FF V so special that they want to modify an M rated game when Bayonetta 2 was fine?

Sami+

Ok yeah this is shitty. The original really kind of creepy/uncomfortable to watch but I'm guessing that was the intent of the scene in context. This gets in the way of artist intent.

Optional swimsuit costumes on the other hand always have been and always will be stupid and awful.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Haha, that's terrible. In a game with so much disturbing imagery they chose to remove a few snapshots of a girl in a bikini. Who is this game being marketed to?

Oh, right, nobody.

kunonabi

For those who are at work -

The original game has a cutscene with the protagonist in a bikini. The US/EU versions change it so she's wearing a sleveless designer shirt and skirt.

I don't really see it as a big deal and I don't think it effects anything. It's pretty clear she's still a model and it's pretty clear she's trying to look sexy in the photo shoot.

But whatever, people can get mad about it if they want to, since it is technically censorship and I understand why people are opposed to that. I don't want to get in an argument about it.

The thing is she supposed to be incredibly uncomfortable about the whole thing and how she feels objectified and empty about it. I mean considering the game's themes I think understanding how she got to her current emotional state is kind of important. It doesn't work nearly as well if at all when she's dressed appropriately. The original scene was unpleasant to watch which doesn't come across in the new one.

chrono01

I find it a bit hilarious that Nintendo is censoring any/all signs of skin, and yet they seem to be perfectly fine with having dead girls hanging from trees, as well as another essentially
slitting her throat right in-front of you

Priorities!

HardRojo

Is Nintendo legally mandated to censor stuff like this? Seems like a non issue if it's an M rated title to be honest.

Klossen

Banned
What's even the point of this? The game is already M-rated. Is a swimsuit more taboo than violence and blood now?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This does bother me a bit, not to an extreme, I wasn't bothered by the costumes being taken out, but I was hoping they wouldn't edit the scene.

To give further context to this, this character is a Gravure Idol, she wants to be an actress but is caught in this line of work trying to 'break out'. Her mom is missing, and she is being overtaken by her own loneliness and being exhibited so she can reach her dreams, objectified. This ties into the suicide themes the game has and deals with a real issue in Japan of girls in similar positions, which it explores.

I thought the unlockable costumes detracted from that message a bit, but I was hoping the scene itself wouldn't be changed as, while it might be backwards to say this, the scene does lose its impact and creepiness being modified like this. I do understand why, the character in question is 17 I think, but it still is a bit saddening.

muteki

This game was a problematic minefield from day 1. Surprised it was released in the west at all on a Nintendo console.

What's even the point of this? The game is already M-rated. Is a swimsuit more taboo than violence and blood now?

M-ratings don't really carry any weight in the US really.

SenkiDala

In Europe the game is PEGI 18... The hightest rate... I mean it's nonsense, why censering a game which is already 18+?!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
People need to realize that localization means more than just translating the game. As always people will find excuses to not support a niche game when a company actually decides to bring it over.

M-rated or not its still a Nintendo published game and they didnt felt comfortable with it for the US market.

ZsvkdWC.png

and nothing of value was lost

Characters in bikini hardly fitted my vision of the Project Zero series anyway. As a rule I reject censorship, but in this particular case I'm far from being bothered with it.

Yeah, I'll give them that much, this has some actual plot context. Certainly not an issue for me, though. I'm assuming there's just a target audience they are localizing this for, and it's obviously not a lot of people on GAF :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The thing is she supposed to be incredibly uncomfortable about the whole thing and how she feels objectified and empty about it. I mean considering the game's themes I think understanding how she got to her current emotional state is kind of important. It doesn't work nearly as well if at all when she's dressed appropriately. The original scene was uncomfortable to watch which doesn't come across in the new one.
This seems like a legitimate argument.

Still not quite sure I'd class this as censorship, but it does seem a bit lame.

What age is the character supposed to be?

AlStrong

To give further context to this, this character is a Gravure Idol, she wants to be an actress but is caught in this line of work trying to 'break out'. Her mom is missing, and she is being overtaken by her own loneliness and being exhibited so she can reach her dreams, objectified. This ties into the suicide themes the game has and deals with a real issue in Japan of girls in similar positions, which it explores.

:(

And nothing of value was lost.

All this reaction over some bikini costumes.

People should go play DOA Volley Ball instead of this game if that's what they are concerned with.

"I don't care for it so it's good that people who do won't get to enjoy it."

Basically how these threads always go.

I think it's more of a case of people upset that something was altered while a group of people who are fine with it or who don't actually care say "calm down."

Top Bottom