• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water |OT| Pokémon Snap U: After Dark

Shizuka

You downloaded both trial and full game unlock at once?

Yup, but the trial, which was first, prompted an error, while pausing the second file's download.

This happened to me as well. sucks man. Even when I restarted it did it two more times. It didnt start from scratch tho, it just picked up where the error left off.

I didn't know you could, I opened the file and all it showed me was to "delete" it.

First impressions:
-Game looks great in some areas but some of the close up textures need work.
-I like that its not just jump scares left and right, there's some spooky ass subtle things thrown at you. I laughed when I noticed that the doll in sitting on the dresser faces you after you pick up the key in Drop 1.
-Motion controls are cool in theory but they are a bit too finicky for my liking. I'm sure others will play fine with it (especially since my TV sits higher than most people's) but I've already turned it off.

Picture:
pdLQ1Iw.jpg

I haven't played a Wii U game that tapped into its 4th duct-taped Gamecube since Bayonetta 2

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I got offered €140 for my LE preorder (crazy cause I've read the game is still available at some retailers? Although I dunno how legit they are with their stock allocation)... I think I'm about to cave in :(

Dunno what I should do honestly, I'm more than a tad unsure on this one.

90€ profit... I could get the game digitally (but I'd hate that) and still have 40€ on top of it, dang I'm so tempted, I want the game but not as much as saying no to close to 100€ for free.

My biggest fear is:
a) the game will likely reappear in stock down the road like the MM 3D LE and others and I'll feel like an idiot
b) a bit unlikely but maybe the price will skyrocket even more and go for double that in a few months
c) I say fuck it, open it with the intent of keeping it just to find out I find the game just average

Decisions...

edit:
also a question, is preload available in EU for the trial?
are the trial's and retail's saves compatible with each other? ie. can I pick up from where I left off at the end of the trial with the disc version?

Bowl0l

I got offered €140 for my LE preorder (crazy cause I've read the game is still available at some retailers? Although I dunno how legit they are with their stock allocation)... I think I'm about to cave in :(

90€ profit... I could get the game digitally (but I'd hate that) and still have 40€ on top of it, dang I'm so tempted, I want the game but not as much as saying no to close to 100€ for free.

My biggest fear is:
a) the game will likely reappear in stock down the road like the MM 3D LE and others and I'll feel like an idiot
b) a bit unlikely but maybe the price will skyrocket even more and go for double that in a few months
c) I say fuck it, open it with the intent of keeping it just to find out I find the game just average

Decisions...
Maybe there will be a reprint if Nintendo did sell a localized non-LE edition. Unless Temco decided to port the game to Steam, you can sell the game in the future in eBay.

Played through the Prologue and Drop 1 so far and have really enjoyed it. It hasn't really gotten started yet, but I'm interested in the story and the game looks really nice overall. I also like using the Gamepad as the camera; it's a great use for it. My one issue so far is I keep forgetting to look at the WiiU screen when I use the camera and I'm not aiming at the circle targets on the ghosts. It's going to take me a little bit to get used to it, but I'm starting to get it.

zroid

Banned
I can't remember, does the Wii U download queued software while in standby mode, or is that only for software updates?

adroit

I can't remember, does the Wii U download queued software while in standby mode, or is that only for software updates?
Yes, as long as you haven't disabled that feature. If the power light turns amber about 10 to 15 seconds after you turn the Wii U off and stays amber for a significant amount of time, it's downloading. It'll turn red again when it's done downloading.

-Horizon-

I've played up to drop 1 but had to stop playing just when the
ghosts popped up behind that one lady

I like it. Though I'm not used to slow turning controls.

Dsyndrome

Download and install just finished... now it's time for late dinner and watching TV shows with the wife... fix yo online shit, Nintendo.

Jimrpg

Got sick of waiting for Nintendo to reveal the digital price in Australia so I preordered the LE. One of the poorer LEs I've seen, the only decent thing is the steelbook, don't really care for the postcards and poster and I don't really like those tiny art books, hardly a collectors item.

Fingers crossed the game is decent.

Namikaze

I just finished chapter 1 and found it pretty decent. I won't be picking it up at $50 but I'll get it whenever it's on sale.

Is the game available in stores in PAL regions at least? The high-ish reviews for this got me interested in giving it a whirl around Halloween.

zroid

Banned
Yes, as long as you haven't disabled that feature. If the power light turns amber about 10 to 15 seconds after you turn the Wii U off and stays amber for a significant amount of time, it's downloading. It'll turn red again when it's done downloading.
Thanks, good to know. It ended up not mattering anyway because the whole thing downloaded in like 45 minutes. I was expecting it to take a lot longer given others' experiences.

El Odio

Banned
With over an hour and a half of downloading with interrupted connection errors I'm definitely going to have to download the full version at home next month if I get it and not using my schools wifi.

Is the game available in stores in PAL regions at least? The high-ish reviews for this got me interested in giving it a whirl around Halloween.

There'll be a very limited (and very expensive) retail release in PAL regions. Depending on where you are, pre-orders might already be sold out though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Didn't realize this had a free trial thing, cool to see. Haven't played one of these before and I'm not sure how I feel about it, the premise is cool but man the basic movement feels super clunky.

B-Dex

Didn't realize this had a free trial thing, cool to see. Haven't played one of these before and I'm not sure how I feel about it, the premise is cool but man the basic movement feels super clunky.

I'm surprised the run is actually a brisk pace. Cause running in the first three was like normal walk speed.

DangerMan

Banned
Didn't realize I was actually really enjoying this until I finished the second drop and found out that the prologue counted as an episode... Assumed there were be a third drop in the trial when they said 3 episodes in the trial... Either way the game is a mess but has enough good to make me want it, for a max of $30 CAD that is.

Didn't realize I was actually really enjoying this until I finished the second drop and found out that the prologue counted as an episode... Assumed there were be a third drop in the trial when they said 3 episodes in the trial... Either way the game is a mess but has enough good to make me want it, for a max of $30 CAD that is.
How is this a mess at all?

It plays like an old school survival horror game that relies more setting and theme than...whatever Resident Evil has become. The game seemingly accomplishes what it sets out to do.

how is it a mess plays much better than fatal frame 4

DangerMan

Banned
It just does not feel polished to the standards of a $60 game. Everything about it seems uneven to me, some aspects are really well done and others are trash. Second Drop had framerate issues for me (Yoshi's Wooly World has bad framerate issues at times too though). Movement is a mess and there were times when walking into a wall (which wasn't even really a wall) caused the character to glitch out. Dodge doesn't work well (or maybe I just didn't figure it out). It feels like a PS2 game running at 720p with decent GamePad usage. There's a great atmosphere to it but that doesn't stop it from being mess. A rather enjoyable mess. Only played the trial can't comment on anything after the second drop.

tesqui

Alright time to fire this trial version up! My expectations are pretty low, so I don't think I can be disappointed.

Unison

Hmmm... I guess I just am off on the timing. I tend to freak the fuck out in this game at crucial moments in general, though, such as when trying to get a fatal frame. As soon as the ghost lunges, I want to click.

tkscz

I finished the first part of the trial before coming to work (got some screens too). So far:

-The game has the classic survival horror feel (this is my first Fatal Frame). It's slow, ambient, and feels desolate enough that even areas you know are safe feel suspicious.

-The graphics have the same issues I felt Pikmin 3 had. The majority of the game is beautiful, dark, broken (in the right way), but some textures feel like they were made for the Wii and stretched for the WiiU without being made high def. The character models and clothes looks great, but the faces are so damn doll like
Wii_U_screenshot_TV_01_D06.jpg

At quick glance I can mistake that for a real Japanese doll or robot, but her face is Disney perfect, even my girlfriend said she looks like a Japanese Ana.

-The controls need work, but aren't bad. At times, it feels like the right and left sticks are fighting each other. I try to turn around slowly, but sometimes, when moving the right along for the camera, she jumps back into her original position and sometimes she feels stuck. The quick turn is also good to have.

-I really enjoy the "combat" of the game. It's tense and exciting. I love when the ghost is on the run from you. Using the camera gets a little confusing outside of combat sometimes.

I haven't finished the demo due to time but from what I've played, I've enjoyed it enough to get the full game come extra money.

Tapejara

The download is really messing with my Wii U. First I started the download and tried to play Yoshi's Wooly World, but the game hung at the splash screen. Had to force shutdown, which corrupted the download. Then I try the download again and the system starts getting laggy. Hope the download goes by quick.

Also, $62 CAD :(. Going to have to hold off on the full game for a bit. Was planning on having friends over to play it, but we'll have to stick with the opening chapters for now.

ohlawd

Hmmm... I guess I just am off on the timing. I tend to freak the fuck out in this game at crucial moments in general, though, such as when trying to get a fatal frame. As soon as the ghost lunges, I want to click.

the timing window for all that stuff is really short so don't feel too bad

Stuff like not being to switch to your inventory after pressing the map button is pretty annoying as well. I was halfway through the second chapter before I realized there was an inventory button.

Oh man, THIS. I kept trying to find a way to use inventory and was literally one hit away from dying. Luckily I killed the ghosts and still took like a minute or two to find out how to pull up items.

Sadist

Reading about the graphics sounds like something from the Wii edition of Project Zero II; character models looked great, but everything else looked pretty rough.

tkscz

Reading about the graphics sounds like something from the Wii edition of Project Zero II; character models looked great, but everything else looked pretty rough.

I can show you some screens. For the most part, it's mainly the floor textures and flora. The floor textures come right of RE4 on the gamecube and some plants and leafs look rough (trees are good though). Walls look good, most objects look good and the lighting is also good (if not a bit glitchy at some points). Think of it like Pikmin 3, everything looks good except the floor.

Shizuka

Well, standby mode worked. I left it on standby when I went to bed and everything was downloaded and installed when I woke up.

kunonabi

except the wiimote controls were clunky as hell.

No they weren't. The complaints about tilting the wiimote to aim the flashlight were always totally over blown. Using the analog stick for left/right movement and the wiimote to aim it up or down worked perfectly well. Everthing else controlled just as expected and infinitely smoother than what's going on with FFV.

Top Bottom