• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fair to say that Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game made to date?

Is Ratchet and Clank A RIFT APART the best looking game to date?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 355 50.1%
  • NO WAY!

Votes: 353 49.9%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Forza's open world and foliage looks next gen especially those two shots, but the lighting and the urban areas look last gen still. You can see that they couldnt overhaul everything about the game due to its last gen roots.

Glad people have posted Flight sim videos because you can clearly see the difference between photorealistic lighting and gamey lighting we see in Forza.

Same goes for car models which look pretty last gen but that could be due to the lighting system.

Everything about ratchet screams next gen. Smaller levels, larger levels, urban or jungle, the game looks phenomenal with incredibly high quality assets and lighting in every world. And without spoiling stuff, this game is comparable to forza horizon because it has some open worlds that are massive and you can see them from pretty high up, the draw distance is incredible.

Three

You can see far but the detail is not the same as the building in front of him, and behind those rocks there is literally nothing its all on rails after some point to get from 1 point to the other. Thats not the case in Forza thats what i mean with you can choose to go anywhere that you can drive obv. And the map is 107km² in size so roughly 10km to 10km, thats much much bigger and you can see far far further than any of the levels in R&C. Also in my second Forza pic there are more environmental detail and alot more foliage than that entire level of R&C, R&C environment is far simpler and smaller.
ZGRiMzgwNjhiOTI5YjA5NGNjMTA2NGJlYjc4NWNlOTc3NzVjOTFhNjY2NGFjMjE4NjkzZWNiZDg5OTYxNmEyOQ==sm.E4AQvrTVkAENLAg.750.jpg
You don't know how open world games work. Ratchet and clank is actually using an open world engine. Just because something is behind some mountain or is far away doesn't mean it's being rendered with detail when you are not there. The size of the map has nothing to do with anything being discussed. Does Ratchet and clank have more geometric detail and animations on screen, simple yes or no answer. I would say absolutely yes, no excuses.

Last edited:

Rikkori

51244590192_27612d0c19_o.jpg

51253132601_5675dd439d_o.jpg

51253881564_455fa533ce_o.jpg

You can see Ratchet in that reflexion if you look closely :
51253881379_a174859c95_o.jpg

51253882004_f5d7a05a24_o.jpg

51253336403_6e48191765_o.jpg

51252834903_b0ed090b37_o.jpg

51246979503_f0c4cfa89b_o.jpg

51246676334_09bc2b3046_o.jpg

51245308601_d7f1a0d14c_o.jpg

51252633001_b7e32d6595_o.jpg

51245312256_e0a5d341d9_o.jpg

51246370900_a463621151_o.jpg

51246365265_1b1bd4cfbd_o.jpg

51246064839_d252051cea_o.jpg

51244588537_25abda4c32_o.jpg

51250691778_f9121fbced_o.jpg

51252633411_8d5b18249d_o.jpg

51253132661_b24f4d793f_o.jpg

51254177780_b05df32969_o.jpg
It's really too bad that R&C didn't end up being a more open-world kind of game, it really looks phenomenal. I just want to explore it. What's really cool in something like Cyberpunk especially is how you can actually climb and traverse almost everything you see, including the big buildings. I took this shot earlier trying to get a good photo (but I just suck) but then I managed to climb on top of the big cylindrical ad thingie, it's really great being able to parkour anywhere. Granted, shoulda just modded free fly camera instead but eh, laziness. When you make a world look this good it's so fantastic to explore it, makes me wish for a VR mode.

51253396497_151a807698_o.png

Three

It's really too bad that R&C didn't end up being a more open-world kind of game, it really looks phenomenal. I just want to explore it. What's really cool in something like Cyberpunk especially is how you can actually climb and traverse almost everything you see, including the big buildings. I took this shot earlier trying to get a good photo (but I just suck) but then I managed to climb on top of the big cylindrical ad thingie, it's really great being able to parkour anywhere. Granted, shoulda just modded free fly camera instead but eh, laziness. When you make a world look this good it's so fantastic to explore it, makes me wish for a VR mode.

First thing I do is zoom in to appreciate the detail and I see a blue car clipping half way into another 😄. Yep that's cyberpunk alright.

Rikkori

First thing I do is zoom in to appreciate the detail and I see a blue car clipping half way into another 😄. Yep that's cyberpunk alright.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah, that's not meant to be a pretty photo as it had some issues with LODs (patches + mods kinda janky atm). Just wanted to talk about climbing. You're right tho, latest patches have had cars go crazy more often than at launch for some reason.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
You don't know how open world games work. Ratchet and clank is actually using an open world engine. Just because something is behind some mountain or is far away doesn't mean it's being rendered with detail when you are not there. The size of the map has nothing to do with anything being discussed. Does Ratchet and clank have more geometric detail and animations on screen, simple yes or no answer. I would say absolutely yes, no excuses.
Look you still don't understand do you, i don't say that its rendered at higher detail. Lets say they render roughly the same detail at same distance( wich is not Forza still has more but whatever) Forza on the other hand renders stuf even further than the max limit of one of R&C maps, because the map is bigger and you can see further. Here a example of FH4, where you can see roughly 50% of the map at once, it renders even the castle thats km's away (lower lod obv. as i pointed out in my graph) but its rendered and you see alot more area than on R&C. And in Forza Horizon 5 its even further and with way more detail overal.
51253396307_1de69540e2_o.png

Im going to sleep, have a good night.

yamaci17

my vote goes to Cyberpunk + rt maxed out

it looks very crazy sometimes (not every time, tbh)

b5dqIfN.jpg

0hvmKZn.jpg

^
game is kinda trash like the trash that can be seen above, but honestly, those are one of the best looking trash heaps i've ever seen in a video game...

BUT! gotta give ratched some huge props. it really looks phenomenal. definetely up there in top 3...

Last edited:
Come November 9th, this thread is going to be bombarded with photorealistic goodness (both gameplay and photomode)...but until then, I may as well just leave these here.

E4G93YmWEAUI0Pi

E4G912nXwAUHLWV

That's Senua, in-engine.

I dunno about you, but I'll take the utter realism of her skin, eyes, everything (zoom in!) over photomode fur...and ill take this lighting model over any ray tracing ive ever I've seen to date. Twice on Sunday.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Three

Look you still don't understand do you, i don't say that its rendered at higher detail. Lets say they render roughly the same detail at same distance( wich is not Forza still has more but whatever) Forza on the other hand renders stuf even further than the max limit of one of R&C maps, because the map is bigger and you can see further. Here a example of FH4, where you can see roughly 50% of the map at once, it renders even the castle thats km's away (lower lod obv. as i pointed out in my graph) but its rendered and you see alot more area than on R&C. And in Forza Horizon 5 its even further and with way more detail overal.
51253396307_1de69540e2_o.png

Im going to sleep, have a good night.

You are mixing up "can you go there" with draw distance and rendering. If say there was an invisible barrier right in front of that ferrari what would that mean in terms of geometry and detail on screen? Nothing.

Sure high detail assets of the castle wouldn't need to exist on the HDD but an open world game streams those assets when you get there nothing to do with rendering or map size.

So when somebody posts pictures like this
So an even worse example?!

How is a racing game more full of geometry and stuff on screen compared to this?!

51238274037_0045e84585_o.png

E3jL1CrXMAYZ8OJ.jpeg

E3l1GLjXMAA2_wo

51239365937_e52aa3b069_o.png

What does it matter if you can 'go there' or not? There is a lot of geometric detail and the ships are still flying and fully 3d modelled and believe it or not you CAN "go there" look at the last pic and you can see the path you can walk.

What you're saying is nonsense. I don't look at that FH4 pic and say wow look at the geometry and animations just because I can go there. The geometry and animations in that pic are limited.

Last edited:
Don't buy a PS5... you're asking the wrong questions. Buy a $5000 PC like my cousin did. He play's everything on is Samsung G9 @ 1440p... and he fucking loves it. The Fan noise, it just reminds him that his PC is doing fucking work. Played CyperPunk at max on his rig with RT on... has a PS5, played Ratchet, loves the way it looks and thinks it looks great too. Also played Flight Simulator, I'm assuming you have to at the settings he has. Stay away from a PS5, not gonna be near the experience you currently have on your PC.

Edit: This was the 1st PC he had ever bought... I told him that it was a ridiculous purchase! Especially as a first PC purchase. Dude loves Genshin. Played Genshin on PS5, then PC... he's back to Genshin on PS5 after the update, dude loves the loading 🤦‍♂️
Oh FFS man I don't have that kind of cash lol.

to be fair

the vid u shared does pretty much look like real life
Lol no it doesn't. I can still easily tell it's a game. In fact anyone should be able to tell its a game.

In real life surfaces are not THAT clean. That's the problem with games that try to achieve realism. Surface details need to show imperfections. A window should show streaks on it or a piece of plastic should be slightly misaligned. All these things add to the reaslism.

It's why I have such a huge issue with Gran Turismo and how it tries to achieve realism in its visuals. Fantastic car models but they are all pretty much perfect. No dust, dirt, grime anywhere.

Example for Flight Sim. In the video above there is a couple views from window seats looking out. Plane looks flawless. Now look at this real life photo. You see parts that are obviously man made and anything man made will have flaws. The black streaks coming off the engine, the panel gaps are not consistent. You can tell this thing was put together by some fucker in an airplane hangar and not sculpted by aliens with technology that is precise down to the atomic level. These developers have to start adding these little detailed imperfections in their games if they want to achieve realistic visuals.
9ce1cb0e-hero.jpg

Last edited:

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Easily.
I own a PS5, Xbox Series X, and a 3950x 2080ti PC Rig with a Valve Index, and a Switch. Playing on a PG35VQ 200hz Ultrawide and a LG C1 77” 120hz OLED. So I’m seeing these games at their peak potential.

I’ve played or seen almost every “graphical masterpiece” game there is. I’ve never seen something this technically impressive. It’s objectively the best looking playable game right now in terms of graphical prowess. Art design is subjective, but they nail the look they’re targeting.

That said, Metro Enhanced Edition is amazing. TLOUPII is incredible especially given it’s running on such old (2013 Laptop) hardware. With a native PS5 update it would be back in the running for the best. Flight Simulator, Cyberpunk 2077 PC, Red Dead Redemption PC, Horizon Zero Dawn, Doom Eternal, Death Stranding, are all on that list as well.

Last edited:

I HATE open world games, can't get far in them without getting side tracked in all kind of non-sense side quests, random encounters, "secret" markers... I feel like a kid who's parents made a treasure hunt where they marked the "treasures" with giant signs to be sure I get to find them. I played a few to the end, but I can never go back to any of that kind of game.

I'd rather have games with well designed environments and crafted encounters, some secrets, etc. Keeping a few areas "mysterious and off limits" is part of the interest.

I HATE open world games, can't get far in them without getting side tracked in all kind of non-sense side quests, random encounters, "secret" markers... I feel like a kid who's parents made a treasure hunt where they marked the "treasures" with giant signs to be sure I get to find them. I played a few to the end, but I can never go back to any of that kind of game.

I'd rather have games with well designed environments and crafted encounters, some secrets, etc. Keeping a few areas "mysterious and off limits" is part of the interest.
same! i never finished a open world game for the reasons you mentionned , i lose interrest mostly when they start making you do fetch quests .

Andodalf

Banned
It would be interesting to see it on PC. Fidelity mode looks great, but is 30 FPS and so much worse to play. Perf RT is what I’m playing on rn, but it is notedly low res, especially when looking at stuff like fur. Perf mode was good in Spider-Man, but just feels pointless here.

The idea of a PC version that can blast out a native 4K at 60 with forced LOD 0 and RT, which we’ll be able to see on PC for Forza (not to mention full tilt FS), is enticing. But it won’t come for a while, as the software as to move some hardware first. Oh well!

Yep, aside from the seamless teleportation gameplay mechanic its kinda lame looking and generally lifeless. Super basic gameplay and sterile environments with a whole lot of corridor sections make even less impressive technically... still, the art directiom is top notch, as is and fun factor!

No, you're just not that stupid with your cash :messenger_tears_of_joy: He justified it by making it his day trading machine as well... I still believe it was a dumb purchase, but I'm cheap.. so you know.
Oh FFS. My mate was talking about this shit just yesterday when I was in the office. He's turned his PC into a mining rig. Was looking at building another mining PC.

I just hate the fact GPU's are so god damn expensive right now or I would actually consider a PC. In fact I did consider one a few months ago but other things got in the way of me doing that.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I dont know much about best looking but i have this feeling Rachet will win 2021 GOTY

So far the metascore support this right?

It is the top rated game this year?

We have our first GOTY nominee right here

Last edited:

FourEyesGod

Neo Member
I'm sorry but this just does not look better. And this is apparently with max visual settings. It honestly doesn't even look to be in the same stratosphere. :messenger_winking:

exactly dude xD i was like euuh??? Flight simulation doesn't even compare, wth were they watching lol. The details is not even that great, it just seem and feel plan, (pun intended)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I dont know much about best looking but i have this feeling Rachet will win 2021 GOTY

So far the metascore support this right?

It is the top rated game this year?

We have our first GOTY nominee right here
Definitely deserves to be in the running. For me it’s just a fun romp like the others. Expertly crafted and fun, but it’s far too easy as it should be for a family game and it hasn’t hit me as much as Resi 8 or returnal has. I’ll trade it in as soon as I complete it and will be remembered in my brain box as the great one and done game that it is for me. I’ll be there day one for a sequel. Love insomniac But I don’t think it’s quite goth material imo.

Look, with R&C you follow a path, everything in the path is high quality but the environments that are little further are little less detailed. But behind those environments there is nothing, they are literally blocking your view to see whats behind because there is nothing so its not rendering something extra in the distance. Here i made a simple graph, so red zones render the high quality assest and orange little les detailed en so it goes. you see after orange (in R&C behind the building or jungle or whatever) there is nothing you cannot see behind it or you cannot go there. But in a open world lets say in Forza Horizon 5, when you are on the highest spot ( the volcano) you can see the end of the map. It need to render all the way back up there because you can see it and you can go there. So the red zones in Forza move, so they need to render those light orane yellow zones. They need to render far more than R&C because at any givin time the player can go there. Thats not the case with R&C, the devs choose what you can see and where you can go.
51255075785_2e6992e98d_o.png

here look how high quality everything, the distance looks little less nice but still great. but behind those rocks isn't anything to render, the rocks are there to hide the background. Its much much shorter range than in Forza.
03LG2Gf7EMddDp0FzdFIi4C-1..1622563512.jpg

Now lets look at the image in Forza, you can literally see the end of the map and you can go there, its KM's far and still rendered and visible
51245504684_46e65396bb_o.png

behind those high quality mountains its stil rendering the map
51244941553_e234bcb5c0_o.png
Fantastic post my friend, just to add the geometric detail in Forza is leaps and bounds over Ratchet and clank. We are simply looking at almost photorealistic environments. Ratchet and clank is mostly flat shiny surfaces and neon lights which give it that next gen look but it's just not comparable to Forza.

shubik

Finished it yesterday. What a game. I think it is absolutely fair to call this game one of the best-looking pieces of software ever created. Sure it´s all objective in the end and the art style plays an important role. But the overall package is simply astonishing. Playing this game with headphones, on RT performance with a good screen is a fantastic experience.

The partcial effects, the crisp image, the amount of detail, geometry, and after-effects at all times is simply mindblowing. To think that we are just at the beginning of this generation and already seeing this fidelity displayed makes me really happy for the future.

Last edited:

Yamisan

Ok I took my ps5 resolution off "auto" and manually set it to 4k, also turned off 120 mode which was auto since my tv doesn't even support it... Suddenly the game looks a SHIT TON better holy shit.

kuncol02

Banned
LOL those screenshots he posted no way represent how it looks in game. Looks 5x better especially with a proper HDR 4k quality tv.
Are you suggesting that he somehow recreated new Ratchet using assets from old game? I'm pretty sure that are first REAL screenshots in this thread, because rest is from photomode (camera!)

What kind of shit arguments are these
I don't like planes and flying so flight simulator doesn't count
I don't like driving so fh5 doesn't count.
Ratchet is a great looking game but comeone it's no where near best
Ive said it before and I'll say it again there is no game that comes close to what rdr2 did
Play rdr 2 on a monsterous pc or even a one x the animation , the scale , the story , the characters ,the world
There is absolutely no game that comes even close to rdr2

Yamisan

What kind of shit arguments are these
I don't like planes and flying so flight simulator doesn't count
I don't like driving so fh5 doesn't count.
Ratchet is a great looking game but comeone it's no where near best
Ive said it before and I'll say it again there is no game that comes close to what rdr2 did
Play rdr 2 on a monsterous pc or even a one x the animation , the scale , the story , the characters ,the world
There is absolutely no game that comes even close to rdr2
You're drunk, go to bed.

GymWolf

You are mixing up "can you go there" with draw distance and rendering. If say there was an invisible barrier right in front of that ferrari what would that mean in terms of geometry and detail on screen? Nothing.

Sure high detail assets of the castle wouldn't need to exist on the HDD but an open world game streams those assets when you get there nothing to do with rendering or map size.

So when somebody posts pictures like this

What does it matter if you can 'go there' or not? There is a lot of geometric detail and the ships are still flying and fully 3d modelled and believe it or not you CAN "go there" look at the last pic and you can see the path you can walk.

What you're saying is nonsense. I don't look at that FH4 pic and say wow look at the geometry and animations just because I can go there. The geometry and animations in that pic are limited.
I think you quoted the wrong person dude.

Forza's open world and foliage looks next gen especially those two shots, but the lighting and the urban areas look last gen still. You can see that they couldnt overhaul everything about the game due to its last gen roots.

Glad people have posted Flight sim videos because you can clearly see the difference between photorealistic lighting and gamey lighting we see in Forza.

Same goes for car models which look pretty last gen but that could be due to the lighting system.

Everything about ratchet screams next gen. Smaller levels, larger levels, urban or jungle, the game looks phenomenal with incredibly high quality assets and lighting in every world. And without spoiling stuff, this game is comparable to forza horizon because it has some open worlds that are massive and you can see them from pretty high up, the draw distance is incredible.
How many open levels does ratchet have please?

Just a number I guess put it spoiler tags for others

Thanks

It is definitely a good looking game but I still think Cyberpunk maxed out + RT looks better. Especially during night and rain. But yeah, you need quite a beefy PC. So if you normalize by the cost of building such rig, then I guess R&C looks very impressive.

GymWolf

No, I was just quoting your images which kicked off this debate.
You posted the images. Somebody said but can you go there and I replied to them asking what does it matter?
Lol yeah, i was about to edit my post when i noticed that, my bad.

Last edited:

dr guildo

Photomode :
51254898743_eb979cec64_o.jpg

Gameplay :
51255733980_2203e34964_o.jpg

Do you see any difference in assets, LOD, Textures, Lighting, fx ?

The technic director at Insomniac posted this on the DF thread on Era :

The assets used in cinematics are the same ones used in gameplay. Every asset is chains of levels-of-detail: models have LoDs, textures have mips, and even many materials get more and less complex as you get closer to or further from them. If you construct the LoDs optimally, the transitions happen at just the right camera distance to be invisible yet gain rendering efficiency. You wouldn't use the highest LoD when the main character is at your standard gameplay distance, because that would be a huge waste—you'd be spending frame time on tris and texels that you don't have screen pixels to display. So yes, if the camera is up close, you will see something "better" than if the character is far away, but that's because of the number of screen pixels you have to render them onto, not the fact that we're making some choice about how detailed to be in cinematics, gameplay, or photo mode.

If you need some other evidence for this, you can note that we rarely have hard cuts out of cinematics and into gameplay -- we try to blend between them and blur that line as much as we can. If we were swapping out assets, that would fall apart. (That's also why the frequent suggestion to run cinematics at 30fps and gameplay at 60fps would never work for our games.)

If anything, the primary quality differences in cinematics come from per-shot lighting rigs and complex facial animation, which don't apply to gameplay.

The logic behind forcing Fidelity settings in photo mode is mostly about encouraging people to enjoy the Performance modes. We anticipated a lot of "I don't want to play in 60fps because I want to have 4k photos with ray-traced reflections" (especially before the Performance RT mode came out), so it was nice to free people up from needing to make that choice. 60fps is not really worth it in photo mode, anyway. (There's some nuance here -- we can increase resolution and turn on ray-tracing when you enter photo mode, but we can't re-introduce VFX/lighting/scene density without reloading. So it's kinda somewhere between Fidelity and Performance.)

I think in the PS4 Spider-Man games we do a slight distance bias on the suit LoD in photo mode, but on PS5 it doesn't make a difference.

shubik

Let me share some of my photomode shots. I really love playing around with photomode in games:

51251251928_9d3bc8b9a9_o.png

51251810109_75edc8d5a7_o.png

51253247473_203258d73b_o.png

51254908588_3e3ef55b20_o.png

51253972742_9b0c68d36a_o.png

51254711221_f4ec8e0256_o.png

51254712931_17523891b0_o.png

51254918518_4c14533275_o.png

51255754790_af88336984_o.png

Fantastic shots. Quick question: how do you extract those screenshots? I tried the Twitter integration but the result was kind of blurry... Is there a smarter way that I haven't understood yet? It would be awesome if you could access the gallery with the smartphone app...

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Fantastic shots. Quick question: how do you extract those screenshots? I tried the Twitter integration but the result was kind of blurry... Is there a smarter way that I haven't understood yet? It would be awesome if you could access the gallery with the smartphone app...

I think that will be the next option they will add to the smarthphone app. But you can put an USB stick in the PS5 and extract it in high res format .png or if you have a second account, then you can also send them to yourself. But you can just use usb stick and copy multiple fotos/videos at onces.

Brofist

The micro detail looks nice in the cut scenes and there are a lot of little flashy special effects and nice art direction.

Technically I don't think it's the best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom