• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony plans to potentially offer Crunchyroll as part of a more expensive premium PlayStation Plus offering

Topher

Gold Member
So, paying more money for a higher tier of my first party gaming platform subscription service doesn't get me more games or game-related things for that platform, it gets me... anime?

Well, I guess they have to try and do something with their USD$1.7b acquisition...

I seriously doubt Sony will create a higher tier of PS+ with just this.

We going have more anime avatars that hate TLoU2 more than their own mothers roaming in PSN.

Dreaming about cartoon teenage girls with ballons as breasts, listening to music they dont understand, criticizing other media while all their cartoons have nonsensical stories and their music would be standard pop in english.. also with huge anger issues.

Daddy Ryan wouldnt let this happen. Cover their “waifu” tits Ryan. Let them foam rabid.

And? They use it for other things as well.

"A chart from Statista based on Nielsen data reveals that for both the Xbox and PlayStation consoles, users are spending about half of their time every week doing something other than playing games. For the PlayStation, 20 percent are streaming TV shows or movies, with another 3 percent watching downloaded content. For Xbox, those numbers increase to 24 percent for streaming and 2 percent for downloaded content."

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/report-streaming-big-part-of-game-console-use

Either way, you still haven't made the case how this rumor reaches Mattrick levels of "tv tv tv".
I don't know about it being on the same level as the 2013 X1 reveal but the biggest criticism against MS at that time was that the Xbox wasn't about games. Adding anime to PS+ doesn't make it an alternative to Xbox subscription services seeing how the addition isn't about games. If Sony was going to add something to PS+ it should be game related.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know about it being on the same level as the 2013 X1 reveal but the biggest criticism against MS at that time was that the Xbox wasn't about games. Adding anime to PS+ doesn't make it an alternative to Xbox subscription services seeing how the addition isn't about games. If Sony was going to add something to PS+ it should be game related.

I agree. Like I previously posted, I just don't see Sony offering a higher tier service with just an anime streaming service. That would be silly. If this report is remotely accurate then I'd expect a (hopefully improved) PS Now to be included.

I'm not paying for that shit.

Good to know. I'm not paying for Hulu. Since we are sharing......apparently.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

A Crunchy sub as part of a better PS+ package would be pretty great actually. I could just tell my wife the price went up and watch more anime legit without commercials..

ethomaz

Banned
I’m a gamer and I don’t like anime. Nor do my brothers nor do my cousins.

On a more serious note, these type of initiatives of trying to push another media on a gaming platform usually fail.
They are not pushing… they are just offering a subscription with it included.

BTW most gamers do love anime… you, your brother and your cousin if they exists are in the minority.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Did they not watch the reaction following the One reveal? People don’t want a PlayStation or Xbox for TV.

don_mattrick.jpg
When Sony spend two hours of their console announcement launch talking about TV we can talk

Dabaus

Banned
-Acquire crunchy roll
-Acquire a few more studios (blue point to remake classics and arc system works to make anime fighting games)
-Acquire a publisher or 2 to greatly expand IP (Sqaure enix/capcom)
-Rebrand PSNOW to something more attractive sounding or just roll into ps plus so it’s all combined into one thing.

Sell rebranded psnow/plus to the likes of Netflix and Amazon to have “PlayStation” as a service as part of their subscription. That’s how you get to one billion users.

Papacheeks

Banned
Good for those that are into anime. But I’m not a blue haired pillow warrior Stephanie Sterling wannabe like all those mini mouse avatars on REEEE

just throwing that into a service isn’t going to entice me to pay more

This includes Funimation. Which is aka Dragonball, Z, Super. And classic anime like Cowboy bebop, outlawstar.

I'm in for that stuff alone. If you were never into anime I encourage you to check out bebop, and outlawstar. Old-school anime with great characters and great story.

This includes Funimation. Which is aka Dragonball, Z, Super. And classic anime like Cowboy bebop, outlawstar.

I'm in for that stuff alone. If you were never into anime I encourage you to check out bebop, and outlawstar. Old-school anime with great characters and great story.

Dont mean to disparage it.

The blue haired REEE brigade gives it a bad name. I may check out some of the good stuff

Skifi28

We going have more anime avatars that hate TLoU2 more than their own mothers roaming in PSN.

Dreaming about cartoon teenage girls with ballons as breasts, listening to music they dont understand, criticizing other media while all their cartoons have nonsensical stories and their music would be standard pop in english.. also with huge anger issues.

Daddy Ryan wouldnt let this happen. Cover their “waifu” tits Ryan. Let them foam rabid.
I don't think you could fit more stereotypes in a single post if you tried, kudos.

TLZ

Banned
They should use this as an incentive and not charge people extra. If they're going to charge extra, I would've paid crunchy roll to begin with. I always watch on crunchy roll for free with ads anyway.

Pallas

This could work pretty well, as long as this premium tier is cheaper than having plus + cr subscription separately and a cheap way to upgrade for existing plus users who want to make the jump.

I see nothing wrong with it. Anime is becoming more and more popular and it makes since for a Japanese console manufacturer to offer this.

AmuroChan

They should use this as an incentive and not charge people extra. If they're going to charge extra, I would've paid crunchy roll to begin with. I always watch on crunchy roll for free with ads anyway.

Maybe they'd do it as a promotion for a limited period of time, but there's no way they're just going to fold CR into PS+ at no additional cost. CR has 5 million paid subs and the average sub is $7.99/month. That's $96 a year x 5 million. Sony shareholders expect more revenue to come from this CR acquisition, not less.

FStubbs

Maybe they'd do it as a promotion for a limited period of time, but there's no way they're just going to fold CR into PS+ at no additional cost. CR has 5 million paid subs and the average sub is $7.99/month. That's $96 a year x 5 million. Sony shareholders expect more revenue to come from this CR acquisition, not less.
Plus, Sony is a conglomerate. The part of Sony that now owns CR and Funimation is not the same part of Sony that runs Playstation.

TLZ

Banned
They can still use it as as incentive and additional value to PS Plus, so many more would subscribe. Gotta look at the big picture.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I seriously doubt Sony will create a higher tier of PS+ with just this.

I agree. Like I previously posted, I just don't see Sony offering a higher tier service with just an anime streaming service. That would be silly. If this report is remotely accurate then I'd expect a (hopefully improved) PS Now to be included.

Good to know. I'm not paying for Hulu. Since we are sharing......apparently.

So tell me what part of this negates gaming on PlayStation. Or how Netflix does. Or Disney+

You don't speak for people. You speak for you. As a PlayStation gamer, I want more awesome PlayStation games. This doesn't change anything in that regard.
Five posts in forty minutes, hey? [Insert snide "Sony Defence Force" remark here].

If the report is accurate - it could very well be bullshit, lets be honest - then what I see Sony doing here is trying the whole "vertical integration" gag, only with a straight face. They're trying to use their successful PlayStation platform to bolster the subscription count of their newly acquired streaming service. It's a smart business move, but its not particularly good for PlayStation gamers. If the PS++ service has other gaming related additions that someone wants, will they have the option to cut out Crunchyroll from the cost of PS++ if they don't want Crunchyroll? Of course not - that's not how these subscriptions work, and it wouldn't achieve Sony's goal of using PlayStation to bolster Crunchyroll. In effect, if you want something game related that is included in PS++ then you have to pay for something non-game related to get it - and that's pretty shitty.

Looking at Sony's competitor, Microsoft offers Xbox Live, Gamepass for Console, Gamepass for PC, and Gamepass Ultimate (Xbox Live + console + PC + streaming) options of its services - all of which are 100% game related, with only Ultimate offering up "perks" that are non-game related. So, why should a PlayStation gamer pay for PS++ for the game related features and be forced to pay for Crunchyroll with no option to not have it included? Why not just offer a discounted Crunchyroll subscription for PS+ users separate from PlayStation entirely? I'd argue because it doesn't bolster Crunchyroll in the same way as forcing PlayStation gamers who might not want it to pay for it if they want PS++'s game related additions.

Last edited:

Fbh

Now I'm not sure if my reading comprehension sucks, I fail to see what everyone is upset about

They own Ps+ and now they own Crunchyroll. Sounds like they are thinking about maybe offering a subscription which gives access to both for what I imagine will be a lower price than paying for them separately. Which is like a bog standard business practice that companies with multiple services have been offering for decades.

If you don't care about anime/Crunchyroll just don't subscribe?

AmuroChan

They can still use it as as incentive and additional value to PS Plus, so many more would subscribe. Gotta look at the big picture.

I am, and I don't see that happening. CR has 120M registered users, of which only 5M are paid subs. If they're not even willing to pay for the very thing that they use, why are they going to go pay for PS+? On the other hand, PS+ is not a service rooted in value. It's a service that people have to sub to because it's required to play online. Anime is not going to move the needle when it comes to making PS+ more appealing. If Sony wants to make it more appealing to people that actually care about PS+, add another free game each month. That's what PlayStation gamers care way more about, not access to anime.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Did they not watch the reaction following the One reveal? People don’t want a PlayStation or Xbox for TV.

don_mattrick.jpg

That's NOT the takeaway from the Xbox One era. How do people still get this so wrong?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned

don_mattrick.jpg

There's nothing wrong with it, as long as you don't make it a core pillar, day 0 focus of your platform.

Same with Kinect.

Shmunter

These brainiacs should roll their selves up and create full bc on PS5 inc PS3. Rebrand PSNOW as a back catalog, retro platform kind of thing and off we go. Would shut everyone up and potentially even make some chowder just like Jim likes it.

Top Bottom