• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony plans to potentially offer Crunchyroll as part of a more expensive premium PlayStation Plus offering

Their anime business has nothing to do with them releasing or announcing more or less games. It isn't even in the same Sony division. In fact, Jimbo said PS5 is going to have more exclusives than all their previous consoles.

To suggest that their acquisition of an anime service would affect their amount of games released or announced makes no sense, it's like saying that Sony releasing new cameras or music albums is reducing their game output.

i know sony will bring the games. they always do. their track record speaks for itself. im talking more about how they will anounce these games and do their shows. sony know how to bring the hype and i hope that isnt going away! give us E3 2016 type showcases! i dont mind state of plays in between them but we need the big shows too.

Hey, Sony, do you mind offering PlayStation Now as part of that or, you know, part of the current PS Plus subscription? That would be a great.

true. just roll all of it into one sub! whats the point of having all these different services? PS plus would be insane if it included ps now at no extra cost. do it sony.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Seems you didn't bother to understand the context of those posts then, hey? Only three are talking about this Crunchyroll rumor directly and one of those explicitly says it would be "silly" if this higher tier was just about Crunchyroll.

Your two paragraphs I deleted were longer than all my posts combined. I'm not sure what point you think you were making about all of that or why you needed to get personal, but there it is. Regardless, it was just console warrior rhetoric so there isn't much point in replying. I'll say what I already said. I think it would be silly for Sony to offer a new tier of PS+ that was comprised of just crunchyroll. But we don't know if this rumor is true or what it would entail.
What a terrible post; if you're going to be so utterly dishonest in your discussions, why bother posting at all? Ignoring literally everything and just repeating yourself. At least you descripted your own reply accurately: pointless. Best of luck, kid.

There are also plans to potentially offer Crunchyroll as part of a more expensive premium PlayStation Plus offering, Eurogamer understands.
That entire sentence literally means nothing at all in terms of games news.
They understand (not definitive) that Sony plans to potentially (surely they'd be planning to add it or not planning to add it) add it as part of a more expensive Plus offering.
All they've read today that the deal to acquire Crunchyroll has completed on a real news site and they've also read that Sony were looking into adapting their subscription models to contain mixed media types. Jim Ryan talked about this weeks ago and part of it was also confirmed in Sony's financial reports.
Tom Phillips has done what he seems like doing in that he's gathered bits of news from different places and concluded something that was never suggested.
His "articles" are often of no more value than threads on here and ResetEra where people do exactly the same thing and treat it as fact rather than something they've imagined.

heres a really good quote
I am, and I don't see that happening. CR has 120M registered users, of which only 5M are paid subs.
CR is for the most part a western anime watching services CR isnt even in most countries and japan doesnt use CR at all they have multiple and way better anime services then what CR offers and thats before we talk about the drop off yearly in CR subs

I like the idea of funimation and crunchyroll combining their libraries. Good for me as a consumer. If there’s a deal with PSNow or something I will almost certainly subscribe.
As an extra option for PS owners this seems like nothing but a win. TV on Xbox was a joke, but anime and games are like peanut butter and jelly, there’s a ton of overlap on both communities. This is a smart move by Sony. A steal at 1 billion.

Also to the people saying to watch anime for free online but in the next breath saying I hope these animators get paid… wow. Stop and think.
I like anime and paying for it helps the industry, additionally the quality and playback is much better then on free sites. If you’re watching something beautiful like Tower of God, Mob Psycho 100, or Wonder Egg Priority you want that experience at a good quality, not some grainy ass shit and keeps pausing on you.
CR,netflix,funimation and many more dont give a great amount of money to the animators most of it gets fundled into garbage projects like high guardian spice in your in the west especially you giving any money to watch anime to any of these services is throwing money to the wind. If you want to help the creators you buy the merch not the $5.00 a month services that go to some board of directors that have nothing to do with said anime, said creator or anything like that.

Topher

Gold Member
What a terrible post; if you're going to be so utterly dishonest in your discussions, why bother posting at all? Ignoring literally everything and just repeating yourself. At least you descripted your own reply accurately: pointless. Best of luck, kid.

It is hilarious that you are whining about "terrible posts" when you are the one talking shit and throwing around insults.

irony GIF

You really think I'm going to bother with your points when you act the way you do?

Last edited:
Some of you are shallow minded AF.

Anime is on a huge upswing around the world thanks to streaming services like Netflix providing Anime on their streaming services to which, during the pandemic and the lockdowns that ensued around the world, helped surge the amount of eyes on the genre.

There's a reason why Demon Slayer movie was huge, and it was due to the perfect concoction of people bored at home and finding themselves watching anime for the first time during this period (among other anime's listed in the services).

Sony, a Japanese company at heart, bought Crunchyroll and wrapped it into a premium service for PSN+ is their move to capture that upswing in the amount of eyes on anime today, hoping to easily tap into that surge with providing a FUCKING HUGE amount of Anime shows/movies through their purchase of the streaming service into their console box.

It's like Netflix, but just anime, and purely exclusive to the console.

It may even help bring more Japanese customers into their PS5 audience numbers, but that is a harder assumption to make.

Whether it pays off is a question of time, but my money is that it definitely pays off in the long run as undoubtedly anime is getting more and more popular as it slowly becomes the equivalent as watching a Sunday morning cartoon and less questioned when someone watches it.

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
Some of you are shallow minded AF.
most of you have no idea how the anime industry works
Anime is on a huge upswing around the world thanks to streaming services like Netflix providing Anime on their streaming services to which, during the pandemic and the lockdowns that ensued around the world, helped surge the amount of eyes on the genre.
Most people arent using netflix to watch anime the selection for anime on netflix that is poor
There's a reason why Demon Slayer movie was huge, and it was due to the perfect concoction of people bored at home and finding themselves watching anime for the first time during this period (among other anime's listed in the services).

Sony, a Japanese company at heart, bought Crunchyroll and wrapped it into a premium service for PSN+ is their move to capture that upswing in the amount of eyes on anime today, hoping to easily tap into that surge with providing a FUCKING HUGE amount of Anime shows/movies through their purchase of the streaming service into their console box.

It's like Netflix, but just anime, and purely exclusive to the console.

It may even help bring more Japanese customers into their PS5 audience numbers, but that is a harder assumption to make.
Demon slayer got huge in japan the west didnt even get the movie till year and half later and even then the movie wasnt show in alot of theaters. Sony is about as Japanese as taco bell is true mexican food im sure the same company that brow beats jp devs to censor games is going to struck must gold with the japan anime industry CR is not exclusive you dont even need a box to watch CR so i have no idea why you brought that up and CR has a small library for anime unless your a normie and are cool with just watching Dragon ball and naruto. This isnt going to bring JP customers to there platform in the slighest there are way better services that are JP only that put CR to shame the only people who use CR are pretty much just the west and thats fading.

most of you have no idea how the anime industry works

Most people arent using netflix to watch anime the selection for anime on netflix that is poor

Demon slayer got huge in japan the west didnt even get the movie till year and half later and even then the movie wasnt show in alot of theaters. Sony is about as Japanese as taco bell is true mexican food im sure the same company that brow beats jp devs to censor games is going to struck must gold with the japan anime industry CR is not exclusive you dont even need a box to watch CR so i have no idea why you brought that up and CR has a small library for anime unless your a normie and are cool with just watching Dragon ball and naruto. This isnt going to bring JP customers to there platform in the slighest there are way better services that are JP only that put CR to shame the only people who use CR are pretty much just the west and thats fading.
Lmao I love being replied by someone who pretends to know better but totally lack the insight to properly engage in a discussion.

Sure.

You totally know more about anime.

No one - in the entire world - started watching more anime during the lockdown.

And lmao yeah, Crunchyroll is also on other consoles.

Dj Khaled Yes GIF by VH1

yurinka

i know sony will bring the games. they always do. their track record speaks for itself. im talking more about how they will anounce these games and do their shows. sony know how to bring the hype and i hope that isnt going away! give us E3 2016 type showcases! i dont mind state of plays in between them but we need the big shows too.
I think they won't do another E3 2016 for a while for different reasons:
-Instead of focusing their main announcements in a single event (E3) per year, they realized it's better for them to split them into many smaller events across the year in terms of audience and getting more attention for each announcement since aren't show the same days than other companies' events
-This also puts less pressure on devs because it allows them to show stuff when ready instead of being forced to have the trailer for a specific day
-Many of their teams released games relatively recently, it's too early to show their next game because AAA games take their time to be developed (Dreams, Death Stranding, TLOU2, GoT, Ratchet/Morales, Demon's Souls, Sackboy, MLB, Returnal, Astro's Playroom, FFVIIR Intergrade...)
-Other teams already announced their upcoming big exclusives and wouldn't count as surprise (Horizon 2, GoW, GT7, FF16, Forspoken...)
-Other teams may have their exclusive games on a too early stage of development to show it this year, like the next games from the teams that released 'recent' stuff mentioned above or Have, Firewalk or Deviation, Bend's new IP or maybe the other Santa Monica Game
-A few games may be PSVR2 launch window games so they may wait to showcase them until PSVR2 gets a full reveal, that I think may come in the following months
-Covid caused delays during last or this year affecting many games that were originally released during from H2 2021 to 2024, so may have affected their announcement or showcase
-They are selling as much consoles as they can produce in a few minutes, so it wouldn't be smart to spend hype bullets now. It would be smarter to save them for later once production is able to increase way more increasing supply to match demand on a decent way to a point they may need to pump the hype again

So I don't expect to see more than one or two big exclusive game announcements per event at least for this year combined with maybe one or two multi or timed exclusive announcement. Example: for the next event the highlights could be CoD announcement, GoW first gameplay, Horizon 2 delay trailer and teaser of TLOU2 Director's Cut (a bundle of TLOU2 PS5 version, standalone TLOU1 PS5 remake and standalone TLOU2 MP game, they all would be properly showcased in a future separated State of Play).

On top of that, I think they will spread over the next months these announcements, possibly including some of them in a State of Play:
-Full PSVR2 reveal
-Bluepoint's acquisition and announcement of their next game (Metal Gear Solid remake?)
-Another acquisition, maybe Arc System Works to take advantage of all their recent FGC/eSports related efforts and patents plus good positioning for the 2 top grossing PC games of the last decade coming 'soonish' to the fighting game genre (so consoles/PS too)?
-PS Now and maybe PS Plus next gen improvements

Last edited:
Top Bottom