• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games calls PS5 a "masterpiece of systems design"

AdamTank83

Neo Member
Epic Games' VP of engineering Nick Penwarden has called the PS5 a "masterpiece of systems design", after working with the console's dev kit to help create last month's jaw-dropping Unreal Engine 5 tech demo.

"The PlayStation 5 is a masterpiece of systems design," says Penwarden. "Not only is it driving a huge leap in computing and graphics performance, but it is also revolutionary in terms of storage and data compression technology, unlocking new kinds of games and experiences for players to enjoy."

More at source

[/URL][/URL]
Shouldn't it be Epics vp of engineering calls PS5 a masterpiece of systems design? I don't see how he speaks for whole company

Edit: this comes from a offical playstation magazine source also? Just seems like a needless topic.

Last edited:

op22

Looks like CDPR's Red Engine game (banned from PSN at one point) proved Epic right. Looking forward to see what game Epic releases on PS5 that can compete with Cyberpunk 2077.

oldergamer

Source?
And I'm not talking about in editor either.
Not to mention it running on Xbox, are you trolling or something?
Are you honestly serious??? Its a multiplatform 3d engine. If you are going to be stupid and try to exclude the game editor with which the game engine is built on. Its not possible to separate the two. The editor also has far more performance overhead! If you want to try and exclude it to make a useless point, well we can stop discussing right there and don't bother responding.

The source was epic themselves! Even multiple times! Same demo runs fine on a pc or xbox. They even revealed asset and ssd bandwidth used in that demo long before this video, that showed they were not coming close to making any real use of the ps5 ssd speed. If i recall it used less the 3 to 400 MB per sec.

again there was nothing specific to ps5 in that demo. You fell for marketing speak and hyperbole. Epic never claimed it as well, but for some reason it was assumed.

Sony fans thought the same when epic showed an engine demo on ps4 too, that was later shown to run the exact same on pc or xbox.

As i said before the maxtrix demo was more impressive being a huge city with day and night cycle, AI and vehicles with damage and extremely high res character models. It was more then just a tech demo and pushed the hardware further by requiring performance optimization to run at playable speeds

Last edited:

Filben

It's pretty interesting to see how expectations from two years ago measure up to the realities of today. It's been two years and as far as I know, the closest Lumen and Nanite have come to appearing in an actual game was that Matrix thing, which was really just another tech demo. Meanwhile, Sony's biggest releases this year were all cross-gen titles, including the upcoming God of War game. Probably not what many people were expecting.
I'm still waiting on games that look like the UE4 tech demos, especially that one:

so we have to settle for waiting a loooong ass time seeing that stuff in more than tech demos.

EdGalTBR

Banned
I thought the Xbox Series X was gonna be the clear winner in terms of third party ports, but so far it appears like they are almost tied.

I still expect PlayStation 5 exclusives to look more impressive than Series X
Xbox first party racing games (Forza Horizon 5 and Forza Motorsport) look better than Playstation first party racing game (Gran Turismo 7).

Gears 5 on Xbox Series X also looks very good, running at 4K@60FPS, versus Demon's Souls 4K@30FPS.

50€ more is enough to Necro a 2 years old thread and pretend that PS5 is not good anymore. Last gen we bought Xbox and PS4 this gen i have only Ps5 because Xbox is just not interesting and I don't care for gamepass. PS5 is the better console up until now. If next year Xbox brings the games they promise then maybe they will be in equal ground for now PS5 is the console to have if you want to play interesting games.

50€ more is enough to Necro a 2 years old thread and pretend that PS5 is not good anymore. Last gen we bought Xbox and PS4 this gen i have only Ps5 because Xbox is just not interesting and I don't care for gamepass. PS5 is the better console up until now. If next year Xbox brings the games they promise then maybe they will be in equal ground for now PS5 is the console to have if you want to play interesting games.
What are those interesting games you speak of? Don't hold back now.

Loxus

Are you honestly serious??? Its a multiplatform 3d engine. If you are going to be stupid and try to exclude the game editor with which the game engine is built on. Its not possible to separate the two. The editor also has far more performance overhead! If you want to try and exclude it to make a useless point, well we can stop discussing right there and don't bother responding.

The source was epic themselves! Even multiple times! Same demo runs fine on a pc or xbox. They even revealed asset and ssd bandwidth used in that demo long before this video, that showed they were not coming close to making any real use of the ps5 ssd speed. If i recall it used less the 3 to 400 MB per sec.

again there was nothing specific to ps5 in that demo. You fell for marketing speak and hyperbole. Epic never claimed it as well, but for some reason it was assumed.

Sony fans thought the same when epic showed an engine demo on ps4 too, that was later shown to run the exact same on pc or xbox.

As i said before the maxtrix demo was more impressive being a huge city with day and night cycle, AI and vehicles with damage and extremely high res character models. It was more then just a tech demo and pushed the hardware further by requiring performance optimization to run at playable speeds

Then why can't you show me the demo running on PC and Xbox were your controlling the character?

And I'm not talking about UE5 in general but specifically this Demo.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
How do you PS5 owners actually feel about the system? I always see you argue games but I’ve yet to see convincing impressions of the console itself.
Decent/moderate graphical upgrade over PS5 in most cases. Fast loading.

All the talk of ‘the SSD can stream assists faster than the RAM’ and this Epic statement (that coincided with Sony’s investment) is and was absolutely embarrassing.

What are those interesting games you speak of? Don't hold back now.
1.Ratchet: was fun game, only problem i had with it that it was not long enough.
2.Returnal: the best gunplay after BLACK at PS2/360 era with awesome atmosphere.
3. Demon Souls: first time for me and it does not matter if it's remake because there is nothing like this anywhere else and I dont want to play a game that looks like yellow piss. Awesome gameplay and graphics
4. Forbidden West: very interesting world ( even though I didn't like it that much) but no where you will find something similar this year.
5. Astro: great demo, is there anything like this at Xbox?
6. Sifu (haven't played it yet but it is next after i finish Yakuza 7)
7. Ghost wire and Deathloop: even though they will come to Xbox they still are not right?
8.Kena best fun and heartwarming game i had played for the last couple years.
9. Sackboy very good co-op family game
10. GT7 an awesome car game.

And the most anticipated game of the year: God of War.
There are many more games to play if you own a playstation. So shut up with your condescending tone.

Banjo64

cumsessed
1.Ratchet: was fun game, only problem i had with it that it was not long enough.
2.Returnal: the best gunplay after BLACK at PS2/360 era with awesome atmosphere.
3. Demon Souls: first time for me and it does not matter if it's remake because there is nothing like this anywhere else and I dont want to play a game that looks like yellow piss. Awesome gameplay and graphics
4. Forbidden West: very interesting world ( even though I didn't like it that much) but no where you will find something similar this year.
7. Ghost wire and Deathloop: even though they will come to Xbox they still are not right?

There are many more games to play if you own a playstation. So shut up with your condescending tone.
So you literally just named nearly every exclusive and timed exclusive that isn’t utterly embarrassing like Destruction All Stars :messenger_tears_of_joy: and considering the comment was; ‘you need a PS5 if you want to play interesting games’, you probably shouldn’t be reeling off PS4 games like Horizon, GT7, God of War, Sifu and Kena

Loxus

Decent/moderate graphical upgrade over PS5 in most cases. Fast loading.

All the talk of ‘the SSD can stream assists faster than the RAM’ and this Epic statement (that coincided with Sony’s investment) is and was absolutely embarrassing.
Only because you failed to understand how it works.
These are the purpose of the SSD and I/O Complex. Which is actually happening right now.
ZkJDSNK.jpg

JDlOyf1.jpg

Better RAM utilization because of ultra high speed streaming, which would also result in this in game.

Edit:
Guess you failed to understand after all.
It's not like you have any background developing a console or game engine.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Then why can't you show me the demo running on PC and Xbox were your controlling the character?

And I'm not talking about UE5 in general but specifically this Demo.

?

They made that demo in partnership with Sony then Tim later clarified all the same things will run on Xbox, and of course PC's as well. The reason you don't see them running the same demo on Xbox is the same reason you don't see them running it on PCs. It was made in a marketing partnership with Sony.

The Matrix Experience already looks better than that in terms of fidelity and materials/effect quality anyway. So it's a moot point to refer to an older demo as some kind of 'gotcha'.

Last edited:
So you literally just named nearly every exclusive and timed exclusive that isn’t utterly embarrassing like Destruction All Stars :messenger_tears_of_joy: and considering the comment was; ‘you need a PS5 if you want to play interesting games’, you probably shouldn’t be reeling off PS4 games like Horizon, GT7, God of War, Sifu and Kena
Does it matter if you can play them at ps4? most game pass games I can play them on my one x. All this game i put there i have bought them (Sifu just not played yet).

Banjo64

cumsessed
Does it matter if you can play them at ps4? most game pass games I can play them on my one x. All this game i put there i have bought them (Sifu just not played yet).
It’s just that if someone says ‘you need a PS5’ - you actually don’t, unless you’re desperate to play Ratchet and Returnal.

I agree, the Xbox situation is just as bad (probably even worse, considering half of their studios are still releasing games on PS).

REDRZA MWS

I am sure UE5 nano and lumen will run fine on all consoles and Epic will find a way around the need for fast SSD streaming and small triangle rendering which Cerny says favours higher clocks.

Ps5 was chosen I believe as it met the criteria that Epic were looking for, fast streaming, fast culling and high clocks for small triangles. Epic have also sugegsted this in many tweets.

On lesser powered hardware do you mean Lockart ?
You fell for marketing hook, line, sonker. Throes milliseconds of SSD times don’t negate more compute units nor total terraflops.

The Matrix Experience already looks better than that in terms of fidelity and materials/effect quality anyway. So it's a moot point to refer to an older demo as some kind of 'gotcha'.

Lumen in The Land of Nanite is better in some respects, especially the environmental detail and character fidelity.

The aggressive upsampling The Matrix demo uses makes it look ugly, especially on my PS5. Although I agree it may be better on a technical level, because of NPC count, vehicles and the Metahuman implementation.

Last edited:

Loxus

?

They made that demo in partnership with Sony then Tim later clarified all the same things will run on Xbox, and of course PC's as well. The reason you don't see them running the same demo on Xbox is the same reason you don't see them running it on PCs. It was made in a marketing partnership with Sony.

Exactly, if the demo was made for the PS5 specific hardware.
Why say it's running on PC or Xbox then?

Jfyi, was are not talking about the Matrix demo.

The Xbox series x has slightly more powerful hardware than the PS5. But here's the thing. Sony first party companies are very high quality and very successful, so the PS5 power Sony first party companies will use the console's hardware very well. But Microsoft will make games at the very realistic photorealistic level of the unreal engine 5 especially the power of the coalition xbox series x console.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
All the talk of ‘the SSD can stream assists faster than the RAM’
Nobody, certainly neither Sony nor Epic, claimed the SSD could stream “assist” faster than RAM… both MS and Sony touted how it was more practical to use the SSD as virtual memory to extend main memory (adding another close layer, like well the devs they talked to know what virtual memory is on PC) because you could stream data more practically in and out of it.

Mostly since it is faster than the old HDD’s were you can now reduce the size of the streaming buffers you keep to hide disk latency (the seconds of gameplay but Cerny made)… which means effectively you have more ram or make better use of it…

Last edited:
It's a very well crafted machine that deserves the praise, but something this big and kind of ugly could never be called a masterpiece.

That's bit of dumb argument.

Sure it's a big boy but I wouldn't call it "ugly", but that's my opinion and it's completely subjective, likewise yours is as well.

As for Epic calling it a masterpiece, the quote mentions systems design and they're referring to the SoC and it's sub-systems like the I/O stack. It has nothing to do with its outwards appearance.

I saw two interesting games in that list.

edit: and I played them on PS4.

Last edited:

Loxus

Nobody, certainly neither Sony nor Epic, claimed the SSD could stream “assist” faster than RAM… both MS and Sony touted how it was more practical to use the SSD as virtual memory to extend main memory (adding another close layer, like well the devs they talked to know what virtual memory is on PC) because you could stream data more practically in and out of it.

Mostly since it is faster than the old HDD’s were you can now reduce the size of the streaming buffers you keep to hide disk latency (the seconds of gameplay but Cerny made)… which means effectively you have more ram or make better use of it…
Your right, no one claimed that.
But if anything, it's probably what Cerny said in Road to PS5.

"On PlayStation 5 though, the SSD is very close to being like more RAM.

f:id:keepitreal:20200329140011j:plain

Typically, it's fast enough that when you realize you need a piece of data. You can just load it from the SSD and use it. There's no need to have lots of data parked in system memory waiting to potentially be used.

A different way of saying that, is that most of Ram is working on the game's behalf.

This is one of the reasons that 16GB of GDDR6 for playstation 5. The presence of the SSD reduces the need for a massive intergenerational increase in size."

Last time I checked, Cerny's the one designing consoles, so his word is above everyone else.

Last edited:
It’s just that if someone says ‘you need a PS5’ - you actually don’t, unless you’re desperate to play Ratchet and Returnal.

I agree, the Xbox situation is just as bad (probably even worse, considering half of their studios are still releasing games on PS).
I don't want to undermine Xbox. I am just someone that comes home from work and when everyone goes to sleep i play 1 or 2 hours games. Its does not matter if the box under or behind my TV it's Sony or Microsoft i want to have fun this small window of opportunity i have to enjoy games. I want Xbox to release good and exciting games so there is competition and Sony stays always on their toes. But because I am platform agnostic and I want just to enjoy the games i come to the conclusion that at the moment there is no reason to have Xbox except of one or two games but that is no groundbreaking reason to get a console. When next year (hopefully) they release games that are exciting like starfield and the game with the strange woman that fights a giant etc then I will be the first to order a Xbox series s or x if Its available and get couple months of gamepass (because it's very interesting deal and you must an idiot or a collector to not see the value).

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don't want to undermine Xbox. I am just someone that comes home from work and when everyone goes to sleep i play 1 or 2 hours games. Its does not matter if the box under or behind my TV it's Sony or Microsoft i want to have fun this small window of opportunity i have to enjoy games. I want Xbox to release good and exciting games so there is competition and Sony stays always on their toes. But because I am platform agnostic and I want just to enjoy the games i come to the conclusion that at the moment there is no reason to have Xbox except of one or two games but that is no groundbreaking reason to get a console. When next year (hopefully) they release games that are exciting like starfield and the game with the strange woman that fights a giant etc then I will be the first to order a Xbox series s or x if Its available and get couple months of gamepass (because it's very interesting deal and you must an idiot or a collector to not see the value).
I absolutely agree with all.

Right now I’m playing Crash 4 on my PS5 having just finished Lost Legacy. They’re good games regardless of which platform you play them on, but I had to get the PS5 (and Series S) because I hate loading times.

Whilst there might not be a load of true exclusives either way, the quality of life improvements (and promises of what’s to come) make them good investments anyway.

3liteDragon

No it wasn’t, this keeps popping up from certain people even though it isn’t true. PlayStation never talked about the demo when it was first posted, on any of their social media handles. Tim & Epic had a hand in it’s development through providing feedback to Sony & immediately started digging into the console hardware once Sony started shipping out devkits to studios. Out of that, came this demo.

Everything he said about the hardware is true & will be proven true later this gen.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Theres minecraft, but all of MS's announced games are only coming to Xbox on the console front.

If the acti-blizz deal goes through, COD is the only franchise they have said Will also release on playstation and even then Phil said that it wont necessarily be coming to PS forever.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That's bit of dumb argument.

Sure it's a big boy but I wouldn't call it "ugly", but that's my opinion and it's completely subjective, likewise yours is as well.

As for Epic calling it a masterpiece, the quote mentions systems design and they're referring to the SoC and it's sub-systems like the I/O stack. It has nothing to do with its outwards appearance.

Saying a console has nothing to do with its appearance is weak and best and basically wrong. It affects not only how we view the system astetically, but also affects where it can even fit. Are you saying that if the ps5 was bright pink and the shape of cow, the word masterpiece would be associated with it? So masterpiece = NO.
Also I'm hardly the first person to say it's not the greatest to look at, and that it's a monster in size, it's not "just my subjective opinion".

Three

If the acti-blizz deal goes through, COD is the only franchise they have said Will also release on playstation and even then Phil said that it wont necessarily be coming to PS forever.
MS: "To be clear, Microsoft will continue to make Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles available on PlayStation through the term of any existing agreement with Activision. And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love."

Dr_Salt

MS: "To be clear, Microsoft will continue to make Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles available on PlayStation through the term of any existing agreement with Activision. And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love."
You are delusional if you think microsoft spent 70 billion to keep COD and blizzard games on PS.

Three

You are delusional if you think microsoft spent 70 billion to keep COD and blizzard games on PS.
If you say so. Not my words but from MS' own mouth.

They spent big on Minecraft too back then. It was the biggest deal in gaming. They make money selling games and mtxs to as many people as possible. Activision Blizzard and King rakes in big revenue, especially from mobile. You can decide to ignore everything they have been saying and believe they will do the opposite but I don't think I'm the one being delusional here.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Please share this insight with the FCC and in the threads where that is discussed or where we talk about pro and anti competition maneuvers ;).

Not picking on you here, nothing meant personally, but it is amazing how depending on the time of day one of the largest publisher acquisition is not a competition concerns or it is… or it is both (“games are still available on PS ‘now’… this will still not make MS too big, look at Sony ‘now’”).

Dr_Salt

Please share this insight with the FCC and in the threads where that is discussed or where we talk about pro and anti competition maneuvers ;).

Not picking on you here, nothing meant personally, but it is amazing how depending on the time of day one of the largest publisher acquisition is not a competition concerns or it is… or it is both (“games are still available on PS ‘now’… this will still not make MS too big, look at Sony ‘now’”).
I don't care honestly I game on PC and the last console I ever bought was a ps3 but some sony fanboys are in for a rough awakening.

If you say so. Not my words but from MS' own mouth.

They spent big on Minecraft too back then. It was the biggest deal in gaming. They make money selling games and mtxs to as many people as possible. Activision Blizzard and King rakes in big revenue, especially from mobile. You can decide to ignore everything they have been saying and believe they will do the opposite but I don't think I'm the one being delusional here.
Just like Starfield right? Idk if you can't realize they want people to get into their ecosystem and buy gamepass and unless sony is going to allow gamepass on their platform then the other way they are going to achieve it is by having all these games be xbox exclusives.

Three

Just like Starfield right? Idk if you can't realize they want people to get into their ecosystem and buy gamepass and unless sony is going to allow gamepass on their platform then the other way they are going to achieve it is by having all these games be xbox exclusives.
Well just like minecraft, right? What applies to one franchise need not apply to others. Especially when they are very clearly telling you and the FTC that it would not apply to CoD and other popular ABK franchises. That doesn't mean they can't have new franchise exclusives or other incentives. They may even go back on their word, which I doubt, but either way I was directly replying to somebody who said:

And was showing that they said other popular franchises too. Whether you think they are being dishonest or not is not something I came to debate.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Not saying Epic is just lying to support a hardware partner but the more flowery the words the harder it is to sell me on something.
Everything they are saying could be true this could be the best gaming machine ever created, we will find out soon enough.

I've been a Nintendo fan too long I know how they try to make their lower specs machine feel like it does a different kind of magic. "So easy to develop for..."
Kinda weird that Sony has to be placed in this position of overselling the hardware to prove they went the right direction.
Old post but you know this is actually quite funny.

Those developers aren't lying,they were literally and technicaly right, the consoles were 'easy' to develop for, on DS, Wii, 3DS they could make games without problem or much cost, and many companies did release tons of software, they just weren't capable of running games from competitor machines anymore, but in reality no developer complained those devices were a nightmare to work with, they were relatively simple lol (except maybe the Wii U for obvious reasons) with 3DS Nintendo even simplified the shading tools

Its more like forum fanboys during that time were desperate to see the systems as something they couldn't be, got obsessed with the infamous "secret sauce" and other nonsense something that makes the Nintendo machines the perfect underpowered devices capable of running pretty much anything.

Last edited:
Saying a console has nothing to do with its appearance is weak and best and basically wrong. It affects not only how we view the system astetically, but also affects where it can even fit.

Your whole premise is flawed, you're using your own definition of "system design", not Epic's which was what this whole thread and discussion revolves around. In fact when Epic released the UE5 demo for the PS5 we hadn't even seen the final design for the PS5, it's extremely likely Epic didn't either. It's pretty obvious from the context of the quote they were referring to the PS5's SoC and sub-systems as I originally stated.

To put it simply when us consumers speak of "system design" then we can factor in things like outwards appearance, aesthetic and overall console design but such things are pointless to developers.

Are you saying that if the ps5 was bright pink and the shape of cow, the word masterpiece would be associated with it? So masterpiece = NO. Also I'm hardly the first person to say it's not the greatest to look at, and that it's a monster in size, it's not "just my subjective opinion".

Again your opnion on its outward design is completely subjective. I know many people who like the PS5's design (including myself), in fact if you watch most of the reactions (on Youtube) to the PS5's design reveal they were mostly positive.

Your opinion on its size is open to debate. It will vary greatly from person to person and will depend entirely upon your gaming setup and space, In my case, the PS5 sits comfortably next to my desk without any obstruction or annoyance, but as I said before this will change from person to person.

For sake of the argument let's factor in the size in "system design", why is it so big? The engineers stated it was because of the cooling solution. In fact, before the PS5's reveal there was so much FUD that it would be just like the PS4 and Pro, and that it would overheat because of its high clock speeds. All of which got proven false, the PS5 is whisper quiet, just as the Series X/S and there's no overheating issues, seems like a reasonable trade off for its size to me.

Top Bottom