• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games calls PS5 a "masterpiece of systems design"

End of generation games will look better then Cyberpunk maxed out @ 4k.
Also Cyberpunk maxed out @ 4k is not playable on any hardware released today.
Stutter extreme, so you throw in DLSS and its a good solution but you still need 3080 level GPU.

Dont get me wrong. The same game will always look better on PC if the developer wants it to.
Its an open plattform where u can throw money against a problem.

The consoles were always about mainstream-ish kinda prices and good performance for that.
The PS4 has shown that with better understanding of the hardware they were able to build incredibly looking games even at the end of a gen.

So not sure where the 3090 hyperbole comparison comes from. If you pay 2000€ for a console in 2020 ( release year of the consoles ) yeah they should've been more powerfull.
But they are 500€ so whatever. Also the amount of individual games that look better then God of War 2018 on a PS5 that are avaiable for PC is very low. PC games dont have the regular heavy hitter anymore.
There is no Crysis, Bioshock, Witcher 2 coming out regularly. Cyberpunk is one of very few examples.

Also Dark Souls on PS5 or Ratchet and Clank look not much worse then Cyberpunk maxed out. Maybe u enjoy the look of cyberpunk more but that is a choice the developer makes. On a technical side they are not as good, but pretty close.
I'm not going to debate you because there is no debate to be had. This isn't an indictment against consoles. Consoles are great and necessary machines, its where I play most of my games.

Having said that, every generation that comes around we get an endless amount of hyperbolic comments regarding one of these machines having some "secret sauce" or whatever which makes the games not possible on any other platform, but the truth is no matter which way you slice it, the PC space is doing the same thing at higher resolutions, higher framerates, and with much better effects. Which is expected because of a nearly unlimited price and power budget on the PC. The point is, knowing visuals and experiences like that exist make comments from Tim Sweeney and others come off as extremely hyperbolic, especially when you consider that AMD is on the cusp of launching hardware that is 2-3 generations newer than what's inside the PS5 and Series X.

PaintTinJr

Oh I just realized you did mean to compare it to GT6 and not Sports lol. Oh its definitely a PS4 game. Visually I thought the game featured stunning visuals in Sports. The lighting in overcast conditions was a huge upgrade over the PS3 era.

But as for the copying data bs post patch, its been a part of PS OS since the PS3 era yes. I remember I couldnt download some games on my 40 GB PS3 because Sony liked to reserve 2x the HDD space for installs and some of the bigger 20 GB games couldnt be downloaded even on an empty 40 GB HDD because they typically have around 37 GB. It drove me nuts back then but the PS4 games were doing this and several PS5 games are still using that update method.

I think there was a pretty cool gif comparison of GT Sports back when it came out. Difference was pretty good IMO.

Afos1lH.gif
The HDD files issues is two parts on the PS3 in regards of GT. Yes all game patches needed unpacked on PS3 which was long a because it an internal file copy and unpack at less than half the maximum 30MB/s write speed. But GT5 and GT6 had a further installation issue in-game because of the number of files and their tiny size needing an additional unpack (all at once, or on demand, or hybrid) impacting loading differently.

Even if you take the slowest possible situation, an internal PS3 patch copy for just 2GBs would take no more than 60secs using the old PS3 issue, Unpacking lots of tiny files however that could take 20minutes on a PS5 SSD if running in an emulated PS3 shell IMO.

Image wise GT5 and GT6 on Bravia's X1 Extreme scaler hold up amazingly well - I've played them recently - and that comparison iof 3rd person view s hardly representative of the typical track level road racing cam on say the highspeed ring, etc IMO. The highspeed ring hardly looks any different on my Z9D with PS3/GT6 versus PS5/GT7 with the PS5 version paid patch. Not because GT7 doesn't look pristine, but because other than resolution the graphics changes are just tinkering at the edges.

Last edited:

Akuji

I'm not going to debate you because there is no debate to be had. This isn't an indictment against consoles. Consoles are great and necessary machines, its where I play most of my games.

Having said that, every generation that comes around we get an endless amount of hyperbolic comments regarding one of these machines having some "secret sauce" or whatever which makes the games not possible on any other platform, but the truth is no matter which way you slice it, the PC space is doing the same thing at higher resolutions, higher framerates, and with much better effects. Which is expected because of a nearly unlimited price and power budget on the PC. The point is, knowing visuals and experiences like that exist make comments from Tim Sweeney and others come off as extremely hyperbolic, especially when you consider that AMD is on the cusp of launching hardware that is 2-3 generations newer than what's inside the PS5 and Series X.

I agree that there is alot of hyperbole around Consoles, as is the same with new GPU/CPU generations.
Most people are uninformed and just riding the hype wave. The PS5 this time has a few ASICs which made it indeed difficult for PCs to hit what the PS5 can do beause of the dedicated decode chip and functions around the SSD.
Microsoft has a similar solution but not as powerfull. Atleast thats my information up to now. This lead will be gone very soon when the first Direct Storage games come out. But until they fully going to feature this
as a nessasary feature for game systems its going to be quite a while since you need compatible Systems and the majority still rocking older hardware.

Its always somewhat in the middle. While the new consoles have these capabilities its only tapped in as of now because developer also need to learn how to implement those solutions in a way that makes sense and then how it actually scales in a way that is meaningfull and efficient.
So by the time Games hit the consoles that use this, the PC gonna have this feature as well. But when the consoles released it was a valid argument. Linus from Linus Tech Tips did an apology video because he shouted stuff without informing himself on publicly known stuff.

I am a tech enthusiast. I enjoy when consoles are designed great or when the new GPU/CPU architecture has new meaningfull features. When RTX 2000 was announced i told all my friends that iam more stoked for DLSS then Raytracing because Raytracing will be a slow process that needs time
and by the time we really utilize it, the gen that introduced these features are to slow anyway. They told me i dont know anything :D
Iam a PC gamer mainly. Building my own PCs for 15 years. Never bought a prebuild. I enjoy to tinker with my setup more then actually play games. But that doesnt mean i cant give consoles the credit they deserve. And this generation of consoles is a very good one imo.
PS4 /XBone was borderline boring. It was truly just off the shelf parts. Now these consoles are still based on off the shelf parts but take advantage that they are a closed system. So thats a great thing imo.
But as a PC Gamer i know about all the bells PC Games can offer but when God of War did hit in 2018 and i played it on my PS4Pro it was the most advanced Game ive ever played in terms of graphics.
Those Console Blockbuster games have a budget behind them that PC Exclusives for the most part, just dont have anymore. Its all streamlined to run on every hardware.
Sure we can increase resolution fps and go into the configs to drive settings beyond but those solutions eat alot of ressources for minor changes. I did run a UHD 144hz Panel for a few years
and "downgraded" to a 1440p 240hz panel because even a GPU like my 6900XT has trouble keeping up.

I feel like we have the same basic opinion on this topic, just watch it in a bit of a diffrent light.
So thats it for me, have a great day :)

I agree that there is alot of hyperbole around Consoles, as is the same with new GPU/CPU generations.
Most people are uninformed and just riding the hype wave. The PS5 this time has a few ASICs which made it indeed difficult for PCs to hit what the PS5 can do beause of the dedicated decode chip and functions around the SSD.
Microsoft has a similar solution but not as powerfull. Atleast thats my information up to now. This lead will be gone very soon when the first Direct Storage games come out. But until they fully going to feature this
as a nessasary feature for game systems its going to be quite a while since you need compatible Systems and the majority still rocking older hardware.

Its always somewhat in the middle. While the new consoles have these capabilities its only tapped in as of now because developer also need to learn how to implement those solutions in a way that makes sense and then how it actually scales in a way that is meaningfull and efficient.
So by the time Games hit the consoles that use this, the PC gonna have this feature as well. But when the consoles released it was a valid argument. Linus from Linus Tech Tips did an apology video because he shouted stuff without informing himself on publicly known stuff.

I am a tech enthusiast. I enjoy when consoles are designed great or when the new GPU/CPU architecture has new meaningfull features. When RTX 2000 was announced i told all my friends that iam more stoked for DLSS then Raytracing because Raytracing will be a slow process that needs time
and by the time we really utilize it, the gen that introduced these features are to slow anyway. They told me i dont know anything :D
Iam a PC gamer mainly. Building my own PCs for 15 years. Never bought a prebuild. I enjoy to tinker with my setup more then actually play games. But that doesnt mean i cant give consoles the credit they deserve. And this generation of consoles is a very good one imo.
PS4 /XBone was borderline boring. It was truly just off the shelf parts. Now these consoles are still based on off the shelf parts but take advantage that they are a closed system. So thats a great thing imo.
But as a PC Gamer i know about all the bells PC Games can offer but when God of War did hit in 2018 and i played it on my PS4Pro it was the most advanced Game ive ever played in terms of graphics.
Those Console Blockbuster games have a budget behind them that PC Exclusives for the most part, just dont have anymore. Its all streamlined to run on every hardware.
Sure we can increase resolution fps and go into the configs to drive settings beyond but those solutions eat alot of ressources for minor changes. I did run a UHD 144hz Panel for a few years
and "downgraded" to a 1440p 240hz panel because even a GPU like my 6900XT has trouble keeping up.

I feel like we have the same basic opinion on this topic, just watch it in a bit of a diffrent light.
So thats it for me, have a great day :)
I agree with you almost completely. I've been a fan tech and games since the 1980s and its always fun to see new features and where the industry is headed. I miss the days of the Xbox 360 launching with tech that you really couldn't find at the time in the PC space. Using a then unreleased GPU, cpu was operating with more cores than all but the highest end PC's had, etc. Last gen was a major letdown for me since the hardware was anemic out the gates with nothing notable.

I will say this gen does impress me, but its mostly because we finally have modern hardware and quick storage, which means to me as last gen is dropped and there is no longer a requirement that games are built to base level decade old consoles, perhaps we can get back to that era of Far Cry 2 and Crysis, when games really pushed that open world envelope with physics. We are still suffering right now because of last gen IMO. Gorgeous games like RDR2 and Far Cry 5 & 6, with massive open worlds that are little more than set pieces you can't interact with, that you can barely affect.

Top Bottom