• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games calls PS5 a "masterpiece of systems design"

Rivet

It's pretty interesting to see how expectations from two years ago measure up to the realities of today. It's been two years and as far as I know, the closest Lumen and Nanite have come to appearing in an actual game was that Matrix thing, which was really just another tech demo. Meanwhile, Sony's biggest releases this year were all cross-gen titles, including the upcoming God of War game. Probably not what many people were expecting.

Games now take multiple years to make, plus we had a pandemic. UE5 / nanite / lumen games will release in the years to come.

Last edited:
Games now take multiple years to make, plus we had a pandemic. UE5 / nanite / lumen games will release in the years to come. Be patient.
Maybe, They still won't be full of hundreds of assets ripped straight our of Zbrush like that tech demo was, though. That was never going to be practical.

Guilty_AI

E9cLHyv.png

oh you poor poor bastard

Darius87

Almost forgot about this. It's been over two years, and it's pretty safe to assume there won't be any surprise AAA release announcements for the coming holidays.

So where are those PS5 games using movie quality assets and raw sculpts straight out of Zbrush?
UE5 release date: April 5, 2022, today: August 27, 2022,
c'mon sony how can you not make a multiple games with movie quality assets in 5 months.
/s
Maybe, They still won't be full of hundreds of assets ripped straight our of Zbrush like that tech demo was, though. That was never going to be practical.
demo only had 1 statue from zbrush dublicatet ~100 times
better question to ask is how many unique assets from z brush could devs fit in BR?
not 100's but enough for game specially with oddie texture compression and devs could go for multiple BR discs if they really want it.

UE5 release date: April 5, 2022, today: August 27, 2022,
c'mon sony how can you not make a multiple games with movie quality assets in 5 months.
/s
Devs had access to the technology long before that.

But that's besides the point, considering that I'm not the one who claimed we'd have these games by now, remember?

demo only had 1 statue from zbrush dublicatet ~100 times
better question to ask is how many unique assets from z brush could devs fit in BR?
not 100's but enough for game specially with oddie texture compression and devs could go for multiple BR discs if they really want it.
Yeah, that's my point. Raw Zbrush assets are fucking huge (IIRC the statue in the demo was like 1GB) and they're absolutely useless in a game context as anything other than set dressing, since they can't be rigged or animated. Even if you're specifically looking for a static asset, the increase in file size just isn't worth the bit of dev time you save by skipping out on the rest of the usual asset creation process.

Darius87

Devs had access to the technology long before that.

But that's besides the point, considering that I'm not the one who claimed we'd have these games by now, remember?

Yeah, that's my point. Raw Zbrush assets are fucking huge (IIRC the statue in the demo was like 1GB) and they're absolutely useless in a game context as anything other than set dressing, since they can't be rigged or animated. Even if you're specifically looking for a static asset, the increase in file size just isn't worth the bit of dev time you save by skipping out on the rest of the usual asset creation process.
doesn't matter who's claimed the point is even few years is not enough to make a game specially with UE5 new tech.

i don't think devs make every asset by themselfs, most of it are outsourced or from some libraries so asset creation not really a problem game size is the only obstacle.
we definetely won't have games like RDR2 in photogrametry but anything less is doable.

Rivet

I mean they did agree to revisit it in 2022 so it wasn't random.

And it's kind of fun to see the statements of the folks who believed the marketing and thought UE5 games would actually look like that demo.

We don't know what future UE5 games will look like though. No major AAA UE5 game has been released. It's way too soon to compare anything to Matrix demo.

For the record, I don't see why future games (with UE5 or not) wouldn't look as good or better than that Matrix demo. We already have extremely impressive next gen games. Gap isn't that huge.

Games don't take just 2 years to get built these days anyway. Be patient.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's crazy to think that this demo was created and revealed some 2 and a half years ago and NONE of Sony's own studios have since come close to taking advantage of this masterpiece of a system design quite like Epic. Utter disastrous studio management. The talent is clearly there. The drive and ambition isnt. Sales over quality mentality is whats held back Activision, EA and Ubisoft all these years. Sad to see Sony studios going the same route.

Almost forgot about this. It's been over two years, and it's pretty safe to assume there won't be any surprise AAA release announcements for the coming holidays.

So where are those PS5 games using movie quality assets and raw sculpts straight out of Zbrush?
LazyParrot, I'm still here 11 years later waiting for this quality (Samaritan tech demo) in a retail videogame..

Forget a retail videogame, even the geometry on the main character in the Gears 6 tech demo published this year looks like straight ass compared to movie quality assets.

There's a poster on this forum, I can not remember this user's name VIPbutton or some shit, but anyway this user has somehow miraculously manifested into his mind that CGI quality will happen in this current generation of videogames, it's crazy.

Hugare

LazyParrot, I'm still here 11 years later waiting for this quality (Samaritan tech demo) in a retail videogame..
Play Batman Arkham Knight

It looks way better than the Samaritan in lots of ways, while having an open world city to explore + enemy AI everywhere.

And running on Unreal Engine 3

Samaritan is not that impressive. They just hide a lot of the rendering flaws with black crushed areas.

Last edited:
I know this is old but, looking at older console designs, you can't call PS5 a masterpiece... It's missing layers that could really add to its peak performance like an embedded framebuffer (GameCube) and more CPU cache.

Heck with edram you could essentially get free 1:1 reflections which would esp. benefit PS5 as it doesn't have rt cores.

The SSD was obviously state of the art though

Play Batman Arkham Knight

It looks way better than the Samaritan in lots of ways, while having an open world city to explore + enemy AI everywhere.

And running on Unreal Engine 3

Samaritan is not that impressive. They just hide a lot of the rendering flaws with black crushed areas.
Stylistically Batman Arkham Knight still to this day is visually the best looking videogame on the market; The people that worked on that videogame are on a whole another fucking level. However, I never seen any character in AK that animated like the Samaritan tech demo, facial muscle especially in the movement of the jaw and clothing from the neck down reacting to the character actions.

I'm confused.
Why doesn't the first demo count?
It's already running on the PS5 with all the high quality assets.

Ia0fxH4.gif

If the first demo was running on PC only the point would have been valid.

Still the best looking UE5 demo by a mile.

I still expect PlayStation 5 exclusives to look more impressive than Series X

No doubt, I said this before even the specifications of each consoles were revealed.

The way Sony have managed their first party studios has been extremely impressive, especially how these studios have been pushing the Playstation hardware for years now and that trend is only going to get stronger over the course of this generation.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Dunno, I think 2 years in PS5 is looking like a very good piece of engineering. Its keeping pace with the brute-force approach of the Series X, which itself is likely MS best offering historically.

Just depends on your expectations I guess.
2 years in and still mostly cross gen though. Hold judgement until last gen gets cut off and the games are being designed fully for the two systems. It could still swing significantly either way.

Three

Matrix demo came out since then and its assets were pretty extraordinary.

01-city-1639089833303.jpg

The issue is that with hardware shortages, crossgen and cross platform becoming increasingly necessary we have had very few games that use it unfortunately.

How do you PS5 owners actually feel about the system? I always see you argue games but I’ve yet to see convincing impressions of the console itself.

oldergamer

So I just re-watched this and realized some of you all have got to be trolling.

Epic Games created this demo running on the PS5.
I think Tim and Epic Games have the right to say whatever they think about the PS5 after producing that demo.

Exact same demo was running on pc and xbox. Nothing about that demo was specific to ps5. Zilch.

Three

Still a tech demo, though. And I highly doubt anything in that demo was lifted straight from ZBrush.
Fair enough. I'm not sure if it was lifted straight from zbrush (we still have space constraints) but it has very high detail. Almost the same as the initial demo.

Last edited:

It's pretty interesting to see how expectations from two years ago measure up to the realities of today. It's been two years and as far as I know, the closest Lumen and Nanite have come to appearing in an actual game was that Matrix thing, which was really just another tech demo. Meanwhile, Sony's biggest releases this year were all cross-gen titles, including the upcoming God of War game. Probably not what many people were expecting

I would have said 5-6 years in 2020. That poster underestimated the impact of Covid. Reveals of these graphical giants will be in 2023/2024. Next year is already stacked with releases. See you in another 3-4 years.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I thought the Xbox Series X was gonna be the clear winner in terms of third party ports, but so far it appears like they are almost tied.

I still expect PlayStation 5 exclusives to look more impressive than Series X
That was a given, they have the hardware & their world-class first-party dev team for that.

Devs will prove Sweeney’s statement anyway since it’s true, the console was built on feedback from them in the first place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom