• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EPIC forced to "Rewrite" parts of Unreal Engine 5 demo to "Keep up" with PS5's SSD

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
absolutely not. Why would any dev build their games around a single ssd?
why would they create assets that will only run on fast ssd?
They will just use PC SSD as the baseline and as the lowest common denominator and call it a day.
then we will see just shorter loading times on PS5 and XSX.
They will not create extra detailed assets just for a single SSD. Not going to happen.

we will see a difference for ray tracing and resolution though. That’s for sure. Because there the devs don’t have to create anything extra for a single platform.

The assets created, see UE5, would be the highest quality ones and the point of the tech is to save artists time not having to produce the extra lower quality LODs and cutscenes models... use the asset as it was modelled straight from ZBrush and vary the level of detail in SW when you render on screen based on the I/O speed you have available.

Also, PC’s have more memory available (main RAM + dedicated VRAM) to be able to trade off SSD I/O with an initially longer load: minimum specs for games ported from consoles to PC’s (consoles will be the lead platforms once again, they are way too valuable not to) will rise and it is par for the course with a new console generation... better get used to it :).

Degree

Banned
The assets created, see UE5, would be the highest quality ones and the point of the tech is to save artists time not having to produce the extra lower quality LODs and cutscenes models... use the asset as it was modelled straight from ZBrush and vary the level of detail in SW when you render on screen based on the I/O speed you have available.

Also, PC’s have more memory available (main RAM + dedicated VRAM) to be able to trade off SSD I/O with an initially longer load: minimum specs for games ported from consoles to PC’s (consoles will be the lead platforms once again, they are way too valuable not to) will rise and it is par for the course with a new console generation... better get used to it :).
It will still not be as high as shown in the tech demo, simply be side it would be too big, the tech demo is rumored to be 200 GB in size and that’s just for two and a half minutes! Imagine a game with these kinds of assets in size!
Not going to happen and it also has been confirmed by EPIC:

anyway, I hope that Sony will show us some real gameplay.
But please don’t be disappointed if the gameplay doesn’t even look remotely like the UE5 demo.

Kenpachii

People still convincing themselves ssd is there savior lul

It will still not be as high as shown in the tech demo, simply be side it would be too big, the tech demo is rumored to be 200 GB in size and that’s just for two and a half minutes! Imagine a game with these kinds of assets in size!

But please don’t be disappointed if the gameplay doesn’t even look remotely like the UE5 demo.

With there track history. They will come up with a lot of in game engine bullshit all rendered on high end PC's that feature a steep downgrade after it.

Console gamers are easily fooled.

Last edited:

Elog

There are multiple implications of having such fast transfer of assets into VRAM as (seemingly) the PS5.

Some of these concern design points that will be PS5 specific (size/design of gaming areas, speed of travel etc) - you are right that these differences will most likely only be seen in first party titles.

Regarding the key point though you are wrong. To use the highest quality assets is relatively easy for developers since most (if not all?) textures start at a much higher resolution in game development and is later reduced/compressed to fit each specific format. If the PS5 is as good as claimed in terms of I/O throughput and latency these high quality assets can be used off the bat in the PS5 version. That will be very notable in terms of graphical fidelity.

This is an example of using Megascans (i.e. high-quality textures) straight in UE4 - the problem is that this is not possible today in a game due to I/O limitations. If the UE

Elog

Something happened with my internet during posting - feel free to delete previous post.

There are multiple implications of having such fast transfer of assets into VRAM as (seemingly) the PS5.

Some of these concern design points that will be PS5 specific (size/design of gaming areas, speed of travel etc) - you are right that these differences will most likely only be seen in first party titles.

Regarding the key point though you are wrong. To use the highest quality assets is relatively easy for developers since most (if not all?) textures start at a much higher resolution in game development and is later reduced/compressed to fit each specific format. If the PS5 is as good as claimed in terms of I/O throughput and latency these high quality assets can be used off the bat in the PS5 version. That will be very notable in terms of graphical fidelity.

This is an example of using Megascans (i.e. high-quality textures) straight in UE4 - the problem is that this is not possible today in a game due to I/O limitations. We need to wait to see what is possible on the PS5 but increasing texture quality can have a huge visual impact and can be done on multi platform games as well as first party titles with limited extra work.

Quantum253

People still convincing themselves ssd is there savior lul

With there track history. They will come up with a lot of in game engine bullshit all rendered on high end PC's that feature a steep downgrade after it.

Console gamers are easily fooled.

19k7xZt.gif

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It does not have to look exactly like the demo, it may look better in the hands of third parties too :) (the demo was also real real gameplay btw, the only real next generation gameplay you have seen so far running on an actual console) ;), but the technology principle is the same. That is the point of fully virtualised geometry (and dynamic global illumination). Sure the assets may be more compressed when stored and UE5 is about a year and something away and there is room to improve. The source asset used may be slightly lower quality but the promise of saving time creating tons lower quality variations by hand and coding in LOD transitions yourself stands.

It does play to the advantage of a particular console which may ruffle the feathers of some until they realise that there is a chance to flex those 12 TFLOPS too in the resolution and shading accuracy and effects department (aka each box has its pros and cons).

RaySoft

You still need it. It would be stupid to use most of the time of 16 ms timeframe (@60fps) to wait for assests to load. Yes you don't need as much data in RAM as on current gen consoles, where more or less the whole level is in memory and just small parts get streamt (because of the bandwidth). The new techniques require that you reduce the time something stays in memory as low as possible. It is not such a big deal how fast your SSD is (not in this dimensions) but how you still reduce the memory footprint. Streaming at high speeds also costs memory bandwidth and you still don't wanna waste that even if it only are a few gigabytes (BTW, memory contention can now also be a problem because if a third high access device, but that is buffered by faster memory and caches for the decompression).
But as we have seen higher res assests do not bring that much on the table. The difference between high and ultra textures is most of the time minimal but memory usage increase is not. So you still want to minimize your memory footprint.
And for really higher asset quality, the disk is to tiny. So you need other techs to increase the image quality. E.g. well done RT can be something but it really depends how good the and solution is.
Yes you would still need it, but not at the same capacity as previous gen.
Let me put it this way.. I would rather have an increase of 100x bandwith in storage compared to previous gen, than "a small" increase in RAM bandwith that really already was fast enough. (compared to the rest of the system ex. storage)

Quantum253

Will AMD have a version of Nvidia's vrss 2 that can help with resolution? I think it'd be great to see underlying AI used to create the most optimal resolution/performance without brute forcing hardware.

Quantum253

A little bit pessimistic but who knows?!
I don't currently own an Xbox, so I'm not familiar with Gamepass. Do you keep the games, as long as you pay for the subscription, or are they limited to "as long as they're listed?" I can still see people wanting to own the games though.

Lethal01

Good thing is, that the exact same that applies to PS5, applies to XSX. Of course he can't talk about it due to marketing deals etc.

No, not really.
We should set the right expectations, games like that would be way too big, see here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/shou...e-ue5-demo-one-dev-says-probably-not.1545423/

Yes, the tech demo was impressive, but will we see games like that? No, absolutely not. There is a reason why only the environment looked great, but the player character model did not, it was not only significantly less detailed than the environment, but also disappeared when they switched to that triangle view at the beginning.
I think the only games we will see with these kind of graphics maybe are just a literal walking simulator, but even then it wouldn't come close due to the size.

"One dev"

Others say differently, and even the dev you linked to says he could see it happening using methods to get something that looks the same while using tricks and new technology to keep the file size down. Even the creator of the system says they have plans to mitigate the issues of storage that will be put in the open later. Saying, "I see challenges that would prevent this" Does not equal saying it's anywhere close to impossible.

Saying things like "absolutely not" is idiotic at this point, Just because Nanite can't be used for skinned meshes does not mean it can't be used for huge portions of the environment.

Let's wait until we have more info before we start saying who's expectations are unrealistic.

GymWolf

I don't currently own an Xbox, so I'm not familiar with Gamepass. Do you keep the games, as long as you pay for the subscription, or are they limited to "as long as they're listed?" I can still see people wanting to own the games though.
Not an expert of gamepass, sorry.

Lethal01

Watching the demo, and reading the thread, has reminded me of the Euclideon Unlimited Detail video back in like 12'. Bruce Robert Dell was going to change/revolutionize the way games were made. Billions of atoms would replace polygons and unleash the creative powers of developers by eliminating the need for polygon budgets. Needless to say that was all b.s. I was stoked though thinking gaming was going to change forever.

Difference being that this is a proven company not trying to make a quick buck from investor whose technology will be made available to the pubic and you will be able to test out and read the source code of it for free.

Quantum253

Difference being that this is a proven company not trying to make a quick buck from investor whose technology will be made available to the pubic and you will be able to test out and read the source code of it for free.
I never questioned the legitimacy of the company. They must be doing something right to still be operating. I was stating my over expectations that this software would revolutionize the medium. Are you familiar with the organization?

Degree

Banned
Watching the demo, and reading the thread, has reminded me of the Euclideon Unlimited Detail video back in like 12'. Bruce Robert Dell was going to change/revolutionize the way games were made. Billions of atoms would replace polygons and unleash the creative powers of developers by eliminating the need for polygon budgets. Needless to say that was all b.s. I was stoked though thinking gaming was going to change forever.

Of course. It's all marketing. Nothing more.

As soon as we will see the launch games, which will not look much better than current gen games like Last of Us Part II or GoT, people will be disappointed. But well, you have been warned.

turtlepowa

Banned
As long as they are listed.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I feel like I, while taking all measures not to, slightly conflated the PS5 SSD and corresponding systems, with the people around here who were being very obnoxious about it.

This is an amazing technological accomplishment, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what can be done. While I shy away from saying Lumen and the Valley of Nanite couldn’t be done on Series X, it’s clear that the PS5 has a specialized approach that can really help this sort of thing.

The strange SSD emphasis from Cerny is coming into closer focus for me.

Quantum253

As soon as we will see the launch games, which will not look much better than current gen games like Last of Us Part II or GoT, people will be disappointed. But well, you have been warned.
Isn't the short Godfall gameplay running on Ps5 hardware? Or did I miss a running on pc disclaimer? I also remember a dragon running around a rock wall. The lighting looked good, but that's all I remember. I'm kind of over my graphic expectation days. I want to see how the system architecture will change gameplay/performance and level design. Kind of how the Wii completely change a gen cycle. Of course, No Man's Sky got me good. I don't think I ever anticipateda a game more in my adult life. I built that game up to way unexpected levels. Still love Hello Games though.

longdi

Banned
Not sure what to say more, if the CEO and founder of the most famous 3rd party engine is not trustworthy.

Yep, you pat my back, i pat yours, hyperbole i guess? 🤷‍♀️

Last time round :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The latest developer to chime in on the PS4 is Epic Games Vice President Mark Rein. In an interview with CVG, he said:

“It’s like giving you the world’s best PC. ‘We’re going to make it super convenient, we’re going to make it easy for you to get games on there, we’re going to start the games running while you’re downloading them and we’re going to perform your updates in the background.’ You’re not going to turn this thing off… you’re just going to sleep it and it’s going to come back on.”

He then went on to say:

“The kind of stuff that they announced that they’re doing, the level of convenience and things like that… they’re making a really perfect gaming PC.”

Lethal01

I never questioned the legitimacy of the company. They must be doing something right to still be operating. I was stating my over expectations that this software would revolutionize the medium. Are you familiar with the organization?

I'm wasting enough time already, let's not dig up euclideans corpse anymore and just forget about them.

Last edited:

Lethal01

People are dumb if they get dissapointed because the first games to come out for the system aren't using it's new feature to the fullest. I'm sure what we get in a couple years will blow people away and maybe in the upcoming event we see some of those games that are still far away.

Ar¢tos

I don't think devs will even mess with sdd besides doing normal reading/writing, they aren't going to limit transfer speeds, or go deep into the custom tech to see what else they can do with it.
Lead platform is what MIGHT make a difference.
If the lead is XSX then when porting to PS5 there should be no issues regarding SSD speed (resolution/graphic effects it's another story), If the lead is PS5 then when porting to XSX there is the chance that XSX ssd can't keep up and then devs either have to reduce texture quality or lower detail to reduce file sizes.

ToadMan

Depends. People coming from PS4 will see a nice improvement - but they’re already used to high quality exclusives so their expectations are higher.

Seeing something like TLoU on Xsex though - that would blow the mind of Xsex purchasers coming from xb1.

I mean, Sony already has better cross gen games about to release this month and next than MS has managed to show - and cross gen is MS’s only strategy...

Which makes you wonder what MS actually have been doing for the last 6 years when it must’ve become obvious in year 1 xb1 wasn’t gonna be a hit.

Quantum253

People are dumb if they get dissapointed because the first games to come out for the system aren't using it's new feature to the fullest. I'm sure what we get in a couple years will blow people away and maybe in the upcoming event we see some of those games that are still far away.
I thought Watchdogs initial showing was amazing. I don't why they thought it was going to be a launch title, taking on how long it was delayed, but I had the watchdog ps4 buddle pre ordered and ready to go. I'm not sure if that game was the original downgrade controversy, but It made me question Ubisoft ever since. I think there's a fine line with expectation and what is being shown.

ToadMan

Yep, you pat my back, i pat yours, hyperbole i guess? 🤷‍♀️

Sony haven’t been patting Epic’s back. They haven’t made a single comment on it. If they had it would’ve been all over here.

Epic are trying to sell their engine to cross play/cross gen studios. They show it first on the best hardware they can - that happened to be PS5 rather than PC this time - to get studios excited for the tech and make sales.

Sony aren’t involved in that. It’s irrelevant to them what engine 3rd parties choose - they’ll ensure all major engines are supported on their hardware and I’m sure they’re supporting the other major engine developers to the same extent as epic.

longdi

Banned
Sony haven’t been patting Epic’s back. They haven’t made a single comment on it. If they had it would’ve been all over here.

Epic are trying to sell their engine to cross play/cross gen studios. They show it first on the best hardware they can - that happened to be PS5 rather than PC this time - to get studios excited for the tech and make sales.

Sony aren’t involved in that. It’s irrelevant to them what engine 3rd parties choose - they’ll ensure all major engines are supported on their hardware and I’m sure they’re supporting the other major engine developers to the same extent as epic.

Thats not what the murmurs say... https://www.neogaf.com/threads/epic...-keep-up-with-ps5s-ssd.1545342/post-258472161

Moonjt9

edit: before I get more likes, what I posted below is factually incorrect ;)

Ps now and game pass aren’t equivalent? One is a streaming service the other is games as service? Am I wrong about what PS Now is?
no, for multiplatform games, devs use the lowest common denominator, so it would be PCs with traditional HDDs.

I can see this amounting to more PlayStation exclusives by third party devs, like the old days.

I think this is why people are very happy with Sony's approach. PS5, and PS5 titles only, cannot run on a PS4. Nothing has been announced from Sony since 2017, so a lot of these new feature heavy titles potentially are already here.

I think this is why people are very happy with Sony's approach. PS5, and PS5 titles only, cannot run on a PS4. Nothing has been announced from Sony since 2017, so a lot of these new feature heavy titles potentially are already here.

There were rumors of HZD2 being developed specifically for the PS5s hardware a really long time ago. I wouldn't be surprised with Sonys silence of the last few years to translate to some next gen games at launch or close to it.

Psykodad

Banned
There were rumors of HZD2 being developed specifically for the PS5s hardware a really long time ago. I wouldn't be surprised with Sonys silence of the last few years to translate to some next gen games at launch or close to it.
Seemed pretty obvious to me, tbh.
I don't know why people doubted that Sony would have stuff in the works behind closed doors aimed at PS5, since we all knew we were headed towards next-gen.
There's a reason Sony has been rather quiet for the last 2 years and not because they are panicking or are incompetent.

100% certain that some PS5 titles will be further into the development cycle than many expect.

ethomaz

Banned
They are touting that it can do 4k at 30fps minimum based on developers preference. So you can see the same demo at 4k 30pfs, fuck why not even do checkerboarding 4k?

Yes I know, I know, they are working on targeting 4k, and its just a demo, and unreal 5 is not finished yet, and blah blah blah
They are not targeting 4k.
They want to reach 60fps.

The final tech will probably run at 1440p @ 60fps on PS5.

Nanite needs to stream several triangles per pixel... in 4K with the same number of triangles per pixel used on PS5 demo (5-6) the requirement for bandwidth should be out of this world.

Of course you can tune down to 1-2 triangles that can make 4k doable I guess but in that case you won’t have the the same visual impression of the demo.

Last edited:
Seemed pretty obvious to me, tbh.
I don't know why people doubted that Sony would have stuff in the works behind closed doors aimed at PS5, since we all knew we were headed towards next-gen.
There's a reason Sony has been rather quiet for the last 2 years and not because they are panicking or are incompetent.

100% certain that some PS5 titles will be further into the development cycle than many expect.

Remember when Sony had that E3 and only showed 3 games? Then they dropped out of the next showing?

People back then were speculating two things.

1. Sony has nothing to show.
2. Sony is keeping alot of things secret for some reason (PS5).

I'm really hoping that Sony gives the PS5 some true next gen games when it releases and hopefully they PS5 will get more support than the PS4 did at the beginning of its life.

Frederic

Banned
Unreal demo that was shown says the opposite, I predict we wont see anything close to that image quality on XSX for a long time.

XSX will come out ahead for current gen games (made for jaguar and HDD)

For true next gen high asset streaming, made of zen2 and fast SSD games, Ps5 will win comfortably.

Nope if you believe the XSX with its virtualisation and bloated apis / file systems and slow IO will come close to ps5 for streaming high quality assets its you who has been duped.

I will predict we will see NOTHING close to equivalent image quality on XSX for years, just current gen at higher resolutions and frame rates (You will win DF on those, you will have victories on Jaguar games ), but we will have high quality asset gaming on Ps5 shown in about a week or 2, not long now. You KNOW whats coming dont you.

Also you understand pipeline, faster I/O and assets speeds up part of the pipeline..that 15 % starter has to deal with slower abstraction layers and slower caches (Ghz) .....mmm..

bro, what are you smoking? haha This can't be real. Must be a joke post or something. Or are you really serious?

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Remember when Sony had that E3 and only showed 3 games? Then they dropped out of the next showing?

People back then were speculating two things.

1. Sony has nothing to show.
2. Sony is keeping alot of things secret for some reason (PS5).

I'm really hoping that Sony gives the PS5 some true next gen games when it releases and hopefully they PS5 will get more support than the PS4 did at the beginning of its life.
Yeah, I remember for sure. I was definitely in the second camp.
Actually, I was one of those who expected a 2019 release, until reports came in about those new AMD chips (the RDNA 2 ones?).

Everything has been pointing towards Sony gearing up for next-gen, while going out with a bang with FFVIIR, TLOU2 and GoT.
They can easily ride out the last big wave into current-gen and Ryan talking about how they want to have a quick and smooth transition into next-gen only supports this scenario.

It's just that there's people who rather come up with doom-scenarios, just like what happened during the lead-up to current-gen back in 2013.
And then PS4 went on to become the second best selling console in history.

Not even worried about the PS5 reveal, Sony will come out in full force.

Actually, I was one of those who expected a 2019 release, until reports came in about those new AMD chips (the RDNA 2 ones?).

Definitely remembered when Jason talked about how the PS5 was delayed from 2019. If the console was supposed to release in 2019 that means that the system must have had games already developed for it at that point. Delay the release by a year and that gives developers even more time to finish their PS5 projects.

Not trying to get my hopes up but we could have a pretty solid launch library for the system.

Psykodad

Banned
Definitely remembered when Jason talked about how the PS5 was delayed from 2019. If the console was supposed to release in 2019 that means that the system must have had games already developed for it at that point. Delay the release by a year and that gives developers even more time to finish their PS5 projects.

Not trying to get my hopes up but we could have a pretty solid launch library for the system.
Yeah, that would fall in line with the HZD2 possibly being a launch-window release slated for early 2021, as well as the 38 games rumor.

Or at least, that how I see it.
But I could be wrong, in which case meh.

Last edited:

geordiemp

bro, what are you smoking? haha This can't be real. Must be a joke post or something. Or are you really serious?

Better than what your smoking. Horizon zero dawn was 43 GB, imagine HZD with 2 x or up to 4 x quality of assets.

Cry me a river I dont care, Ps5 games will look better, deal with it.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

UE5 comes out in 2021, so why are you including launch games?

Well like you said only Sonys 1st parties can outdo each other. So we will have to wait an and see how good the 1st party launch exclusives look like.

The hardware itself is alot more powerful plus Sony has already confirmed exclusive games for the system. Which means that we should see some pretty big improvements with some of those launch titles. The only question is what those improvements will be like?

wipeout364

How big is this Ps5 SSD going to be? The assets and data transfer people are talking about would fill a 1 terabyte drive with probably three games or less. COD and Gears are over 100Gb in this generation, most installs are 50 Gb already. Is Sony going to have proprietary storage solutions again to expand the base storage? How big was that Unreal demo?

Quantum253

How big is this Ps5 SSD going to be? The assets and data transfer people are talking about would fill a 1 terabyte drive with probably three games or less. COD and Gears are over 100Gb in this generation, most installs are 50 Gb already. Is Sony going to have proprietary storage solutions again to expand the base storage? How big was that Unreal demo?
825GB
Weird size, but Cerny thinks this should be enough since you can move games in and out of the SSD to additional storage (I'm sure cost has something to do with it too). Also, you can upgrade your ssd, but Sony has yet to announce info on this.
Source: (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...e PS5 will come with,SSD hard drive at launch.)

Jayjayhd34

Most games have duplicate data so that would reduce size.

However there's lot unanswered question about ue5 and this demo. When I first read about it my first thought was that it impractical as a full game, unless it we talking reusing assets, only time will tell if I'm right.

wipeout364

825GB
Weird size, but Cerny thinks this should be enough since you can move games in and out of the SSD to additional storage (I'm sure cost has something to do with it too). Also, you can upgrade your ssd, but Sony has yet to announce info on this.
Source: (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps5-ssd-hard-drive-size-expanded-storage-6300#:~:text=How big is the PS5's hard drive storage in GB?,-Article Continues Below&text=The PS5 will come with,SSD hard drive at launch.)
Thanks that was a useful link. I found that fascinating that that article says external storage would not support PS5 games. Mind blown at that statement, that can't be true. From that page:

"Using an external hard drive

As with the PS4, you can plug in an external hard drive to download games. This won't be nearly as fast as the PS5's internal SSD solution (and though not explicitly said, likely won't support PS5 games as a result) it's perfect for storing your existing PS4 library (which the PS5 backwards compatible with) to free up that fast internal SSD."

Last edited:
Top Bottom