• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemy Territory : Quake Wars DEMO [PC]

Anyone that played the beta heavily got map impressions? I just got home.

Downloading ASAP. I put about 50 or 60 hours into beta. Needless to say, the game is bad ass IMO. It grew on me more as I played it. You start to appreciate how skillful the aiming and movement is as you adapt to the learning curve, and see your own development pay off - so, though it can be frustrating compared BF at first, after you get good with it, BF's ballistics start to feel a little juvenile.

And then there's the map design as established in ET Wolfenstein, and the great tool variety (see any Shawn Elliot preview), and it comes together well illustrating why it's a wicked game. Perhaps more niche than BF, but for those that its style does suits their tastes, it's definitely killer.

I can definitely see why it wouldn't suit everyone's tastes, however.

KyanMehwulfe said:
Anyone that played the beta heavily got map impressions? I just got home.

Downloading ASAP. I put about 50 or 60 hours into beta. Needless to say, the game is bad ass IMO. It grew on me more as I played it. You start to appreciate how skillful the aiming and movement is as you adapt to the learning curve, and see your own development pay off - so, though it can be frustrating compared BF at first, after you get good with it, BF's ballistics start to feel a little juvenile.

And then there's the map design as established in ET Wolfenstein, and the great tool variety (see any Shawn Elliot preview), and it comes together well illustrating why it's a wicked game. Perhaps more niche than BF, but for those that its style does suits their tastes, it's definitely killer.

I can definitely see why it wouldn't suit everyone's tastes, however.
This is the same map from Beta 2 right? I haven't downloaded the demo yet. Or is this the new Africa/Antarctica map?

Beta 2 map is pretty good... it keeps fairly focused as you wind through the level, and there are some good choke points where the action heats up (first bridge, tunnel, big bridge) . Good variety in objectives too, IMO. I never played too much with vehicles on this map though, I don't think it's as conducive to good vehicle usage like Sewer can be.

No_Style

Redbeard said:
What a disappointment. The game just feels cheap and loose.

I am so disappointed by this game as well. We waited delay after delay for this? Why did it take them so long to produce this?

vilmer_

I would love for these "newer gen" pc games to be low-settings friendly. Just a few years ago, you could turn some stuff down and get great playability, now, it's just ridiculous.

Kyoufu

Its definitely not ET, but its not bad. I spent a couple of hours abusing the flyer drone for covert ops. Best weapon in the game :D

Not sure if I'll buy it though. Need to play it more. Definitely warming up to it.

DoomMunky

Both of the training videos are very helpful. I didn't know what the hell was going on in the beta and didn't like it very much, but now, with the GAFs help, I think I may have a handle on this game! 2 minutes from finishing the demo dl...

Razoric

Banned
Wow I'm not liking this game like I thought I would.

My complaints:

- graphics are circa 2002
- even with the bad graphics game and netcode very choppy
- didn't know wtf I was doing half the time, interface is horrid
- tanks, planes felt light as a feather

Overall pretty sloppy experience. Hopefully it'll get cleaned up for release?

Kyoufu

Razoric said:

My complaints:

What.the.hell?

Are you running the game on an ancient graphics card or something? I have everything on high and it looks very nice.

Netcode very choppy? Are we playing the same game?

Razoric

Banned
Kyoufu said:
What.the.hell?

Are you running the game on an ancient graphics card or something? I have everything on high and it looks very nice.

Netcode very choppy? Are we playing the same game?

I can play CS:S, Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, Company of Heroes, etc all on the highest setting with no multiplayer lag online. My computer can also handle Bioshock pretty decently as well.

This sucker is a mess. The graphics are very bland, brown and dull, the netcode is horrid (maybe i just hit a bad server) and the interface is wtf.

Trust me I wanted to like this game... have it preordered in fact. :\

Gattsu25

Banned
The netcode is good on my end and the visuals are no slouch

I was playing today and holy god, my team were morons.

I joined the round in the last 2 minutes as an engineer and was the best engineer in the round across both teams...I'd deploy turrets and have mechs from my team standing over the drop points..and even with the influx of idiots, I still had fun

you guys just need to try out each of the roles and find your niche

Kyoufu

Razoric said:
I can play CS:S, Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, Company of Heroes, etc all on the highest setting with no multiplayer lag online. My computer can also handle Bioshock pretty decently as well.

This sucker is a mess. The graphics are very bland, brown and dull, the netcode is horrid (maybe i just hit a bad server) and the interface is wtf.

Trust me I wanted to like this game... have it preordered in fact. :\

I want to like the game too. I didn't enjoy the beta myself, but not because of bad netcode or bad graphics. The devs are better than that.

I'm actually liking it, it just takes a little getting used to, since Medic is really nerfed after the original RTCW/ET... :(

If you want a good server to connect to, try putting this in the direct connect field: etqw.clanfu.org

Its just so much fun picking covert ops and sending out flyer drones to kill unsuspecting enemies, I think I may buy this afterall, which is pretty funny considering I sort've shat on the game in my earlier posts.

Razoric

Banned
Also note: my impressions could obviously be very knee jerk... I'll need a couple days to really get a feel for it. Just as of right now my initial impression is of disappointment.

Razoric said:
the netcode is horrid (maybe i just hit a bad server)
Very possible. In beta, any MyInternetService server was almost certain to be shit.

Assuming the list hasn't changed much, look for Hypernia or FilePlanet named servers.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I'm a huge ET fan, and I was in the super closed Activision beta from day 1 (didn't get much time to play, unfortunately) - its really awesome to see this game finally coming out. I just about lost it when the original trailer debuted at E3 '05, then last year I spent a good 3-4 hours at the booth playing this map (Valley).

Its not without its issues, as any PC MP game, but man - get some friends together and play as a squad and you're sure to have a good time.

Its been really great seeing this game come together over the last ~10 months I've been beta'ing it. Even my pretty crappy machine here at home is playing this demo like a champ, albeit with the details at low.

Can't wait for the full game!

DoomMunky

What kind of in-game chat support does this have? One of the major selling points of BF2 for me was the built-in VOIP, even though no one used it. It made coordinating everything so damn easy!

This game has a VERY steep learning curve and is definetly not a casual FPS like most are used to (slow pace, forgiving weapons etc.). The object based nature seems to provide a lot of confusion. Pay attention to the map and your current objective (displayed on the HUD) and you should be good.

Of course running around a map before diving into a 8o8 multiplayer match helps too.

vilmer_ said:
I would love for these "newer gen" pc games to be low-settings friendly. Just a few years ago, you could turn some stuff down and get great playability, now, it's just ridiculous.
Ehm you can turn down almost everything (which I do for better visibility - you should've seen my Q3 config :D ). We refer to these settings as LEGO Quake. Just search for ET:QW cfgs and you should find one that is so toned down that it'll run decently. Remember there's a lot of stuff that you can't adjust in the in-game options menu.

AndoCalrissian said:
This is the same map from Beta 2 right? I haven't downloaded the demo yet. Or is this the new Africa/Antarctica map?

Beta 2 map is pretty good... it keeps fairly focused as you wind through the level, and there are some good choke points where the action heats up (first bridge, tunnel, big bridge) . Good variety in objectives too, IMO. I never played too much with vehicles on this map though, I don't think it's as conducive to good vehicle usage like Sewer can be.
I was pretty bummed out to see that the naval unit on the map can merely be used as a transport (GPMG sucks when it can be killed by Lacerator fire easily) but other than that the vehicles provide some cool tactics. The Trojan is amphibious and can be used to drive around the tunnel, just like the Titan (though that's a bumpy ride). If you don't use vehicles at the tunnel you almost have no chance vs. a good Strogg team (snipers on mountains, anti-vehicle turrets combined with flyer repair drones, good flyer use).

FoggyFreek

This game is awesome but it's not for everyone. It has it's flaws but still, i get a lot more enjoyment out of this than, let's say the BF series.

As written above, QW has a very steep learning curve making it more interesting in the long run. you can really focus on a specific class and play as this role for a whole map making it a completely other game. And this is not simply mirrored on the opposite side, no, there are so many weapons to check out, so many classes and deployables.

VERY cool imho.

bosx2

Banned
animations are horrible
sounds are weak
partical/special effects look like a freakn ps1 game

first trailer fooled the audience, shame on splash damage

Out of interest, are the people complaining about the game running badly on ATI or nVidia cards?
Using XP or Vista? DX9 or 'other'?

The game runs so smooth for me, on my fairly mediocre gaming rig, at fairly high settings, that I have to wonder if there's something else going on to explain it.

I'm using a
Core 2 Duo 6420
Geforce 7600GT
2 Gb RAM
Windows XP / DX 9
rig

which is pretty damn mid-range by PC gaming standards, and I'm running it with most setting at medium or high at the max resolution my monitor can display at...

Oh, for those people complaining how medics got nerfed since RTCW:ET... duh. The games supposed to be about class based teamwork, not a whole side of rambo medics...

Schlep

Razoric said:
The interface is not horrid, you just...didn't know wtf you were doing. If anyone's expecting this game to play/control like Battlefield, it's going to be frustrating. It has its own feel, and once you get over the learning curve, it's a great MP game.

arne

vilmer_ said:

agreed. I wish i could play this. at the low settings i can't break 15fps. I can run a lot of other things pretty well, at least 30+ fps.

My laptop isn't exactly shabby either, although not a gaming beast:

Core 2 T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
2048MB RAM
DirectX 9.0c
ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5200
Display Memory: 256.0 MB

arne said:
agreed. I wish i could play this. at the low settings i can't break 15fps. I can run a lot of other things pretty well, at least 30+ fps.

My laptop isn't exactly shabby either, although not a gaming beast:

Core 2 T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
2048MB RAM
DirectX 9.0c
ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5200
Display Memory: 256.0 MB

I think we have the same laptops (Lenovo thinkpad!)-in my case what I did was use modded drivers to fool the driver into "game GPU" mode instead of its business GPU defaults:

How-to here:

http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/

I haven't tried the demo yet but I get good framerates on medium in Company of Heroes, so I would expect it would work well with this demo too.

Beaulieu

This game to me looks like battlefield 2142 with useless objectives instead of flags.
I didnt like the demo at all, and the interface is indeed shit.

Schlep

A team wins by defending the objective or destroying the objective. How is that useless? Especially when compared with anything but Titan mode in the BF games.

Xdrive05

What's the deal with everyone team killing each other at the bases where you spawn? I have to try like five or six servers until I find one where people don't do that.

Did they see "Quake" and think this was a deathmatch game?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
What's the deal with these noobs who just stand around and don't even shoot at you when they spawn?

Did they not see "Quake" and not know that it's a deathmatch game?

Kyoufu

Xdrive05 said:
What's the deal with everyone team killing each other at the bases where you spawn? I have to try like five or six servers until I find one where people don't do that.

Did they see "Quake" and think this was a deathmatch game?

You sure it wasn't during a warm-up?

mr_square

Had a big 20 player session during lunch at work today - fantastic stuff. If you can get playing this on a LAN with people who know what they're doing, its as amazing as W:ET ever was. Its not like BF2 where its just insta-chaos, getting-sniped-halfway-across-the-map, bombarded-as-soon-as-you-spawn gameplay - you actually get a decent go each time, and can keep yourself alive with skill rather than luck. Its also still one of the only FPS games where you can be completely rubbish at shooting, and still be a vital part of the team, which is great. Medic FTW - its great grabbing a jetpack and having a spell shooting around being a flying ambulance :)

But yeah - LAN really is the only way to play. I don't blame people for disliking it after playing on just random internet servers. I hated W:ET online - too many idiots, not enough teamwork. Maybe I just need to find a decent server...

-Rogue5-

It's pretty much what I expected; kind of like the battlefield series except in the Quake-universe. Not bad, not uber-amazing either. I'm not sure how amazing megatextures are though -- maybe it's just the level, but the ground textures seem to be pretty much on par with every other game released in the last year or two.

pxleyes

Banned
Yuck. I only played against the comp, but the whole control system and vehicles felt loose. Just not very polished in my mind.

RandomXTX

Dunno if I care anymore... I loved this game at last year's E3. I kept going back to play it. But during beta I got tired real quick... too much BF for 1 life... I hate crappy hit detecting games... dunno how else to explain it...

And now that I have Crysis beta and 50 other games to play in the next 3 months I don't see this as being 1 of them.

Pimpbaa

-Rogue5- said:
It's pretty much what I expected; kind of like the battlefield series except in the Quake-universe. Not bad, not uber-amazing either. I'm not sure how amazing megatextures are though -- maybe it's just the level, but the ground textures seem to be pretty much on par with every other game released in the last year or two.

I think the game is kinda cool and looks pretty great, but yeah I dunno why id is making a big deal out of it. One big texture for the whole level with detail textures over it is what I think it is, and if so Farcry did it first.

Pimpbaa said:
I think the game is kinda cool and looks pretty great, but yeah I dunno why id is making a big deal out of it. One big texture for the whole level with detail textures over it is what I think it is, and if so Farcry did it first.

No, its one big 32kx32k texture for the land. This is just the first iteration of the tech though...their new engine basically allows for unlimited texture resolution. The only limiting factor is what you can fit on the disk. They have a few large areas that are 128kx128k and even the characters use the same technology. The guy you see talking in the tech demo has a 2k x 2k face texture. It's really incredible stuff.

FoggyFreek

RandomXTX said:
Dunno if I care anymore... I loved this game at last year's E3. I kept going back to play it. But during beta I got tired real quick... too much BF for 1 life... I hate crappy hit detecting games... dunno how else to explain it...

And now that I have Crysis beta and 50 other games to play in the next 3 months I don't see this as being 1 of them.

You really should check it out. hit detection is now flawless. BETA1 was crap, BETA2 was a little better but now it's brilliant. I actually hit what i'm aiming for. Excellent stuff.

Concept17

Razoric said:

My complaints:

- tanks, planes felt light as a feather

Overall pretty sloppy experience. Hopefully it'll get cleaned up for release?

Yeah it feels a lot like BF2.. only running a lot worse, with some extra confusion.

I wouldn't bet on much polish or fixin up before release. Usually never happens.

Got around to checking out the demo... Seems the exact same as the Beta 2 client sans the user stat accounts. Any word on where the new Slipgate map is? I checked my QW bookmarked sites quickly and saw no word. Texture pack seems the same as beta, too - I was sure I had heard word out of E3 that a bigger texture pack was in store. You'd think they'd try to squeeze more in for the public demo. I forgot to check if the framerate was locked yet, too.

Top Bottom