• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemy Territory : Quake Wars DEMO [PC]

KyanMehwulfe said:
Got around to checking out the demo... Seems the exact same as the Beta 2 client sans the user stat accounts. Any word on where the new Slipgate map is? I checked my QW bookmarked sites quickly and saw no word. Texture pack seems the same as beta, too - I was sure I had heard word out of E3 that a bigger texture pack was in store. You'd think they'd try to squeeze more in for the public demo. I forgot to check if the framerate was locked yet, too.
Had some (little) time with the demo as well.

No new map from what it seems or at least no server runs it (which is unlikely).

Map is pretty much the same. Didn't look at the docs and txts but it seems to me that the Desecrator now packs more of a punch (esp. in siege mode) but the plasma gun takes more time to reload. Anti-vehicle turrets seem to have taken a small hit, which would be welcomed.

I just copied my Beta cfg (which consisted mostly of my Q4 cfg) and they seem to have modified some commands or taken them out. Bobbing was still on even though it's disabled in my cfg. Mouse seems more responsive now (had to turn down my sens). Aiming in general and gun-handling has improved, I was fragging like mad (may also have something to do with the huge influx of noobs).

Can't wait for my pre-order to ship.

FoggyFreek said:
More impressions?

Being the only GDF engineer on a team and the only person on a team trying to complete objectives while the rest of your team are trying to be sniper and failing on a public server is just as frustrating as it ever was in ET.

heh.

I really like the Valley map. It's a LOT like Fuel Dump, but with vehicles. My only real complaint would be you can only have one deployable as an engineer, so in cases where your team doesn't know what the hell they're doing, AND you have guys in vehicles pounding your spawn, AND artillery AND infantry, you can't ease the pressure any as just one man by setting up all of the appropriate turrets.

Maybe being able to deploy one of each as a higher level engy unlock would be nice... especially in smaller games...

MrNyarlathotep said:
Being the only GDF engineer on a team and the only person on a team trying to complete objectives while the rest of your team are trying to be sniper and failing on a public server is just as frustrating as it ever was in ET.

heh.

I really like the Valley map. It's a LOT like Fuel Dump, but with vehicles. My only real complaint would be you can only have one deployable as an engineer, so in cases where your team doesn't know what the hell they're doing, AND you have guys in vehicles pounding your spawn, AND artillery AND infantry, you can't ease the pressure any as just one man by setting up all of the appropriate turrets.

Maybe being able to deploy one of each as a higher level engy unlock would be nice... especially in smaller games...
Would make the engi overpowered though. Esp. in smaller games. Anti-vehicle+Anti Infantry+Artillery Interceptor turret by one guy? This could create some pretty hefty choke-holds esp. if combined with the flying repair drone.

I vote No.

Phife Dawg said:
Would make the engi overpowered though. Esp. in smaller games. Anti-vehicle+Anti Infantry+Artillery Interceptor turret by one guy? This could create some pretty hefty choke-holds esp. if combined with the flying repair drone.

I vote No.

I dunno, you can only place turrets in your controlled territory, and they take a fair while to 'spawn in'...
Maybe only 2 deployables would work? That way if you're missing anti personnel, grenads will take them out, missing anti artillery an airstrike will, missing anti vehicle and they're toast from most vehicle spam...

MrNyarlathotep said:
I dunno, you can only place turrets in your controlled territory, and they take a fair while to 'spawn in'...
Maybe only 2 deployables would work? That way if you're missing anti personnel, grenads will take them out, missing anti artillery an airstrike will, missing anti vehicle and they're toast from most vehicle spam...
It may work on public servers with a bunch of dolts but it would still be overpowered in a normal game. I think the good thing about QW is that they balanced out the classes a bit.

Davidion

Finally got around to loading this up. Some thoughts...kindly keep in mind that these impressions are from someone who's more used to UT2004 and TFC.

Specs:
E6750 2.66
8800 GTS 640
4 gigs DDR2 6400

- Class differentiation seems rather low
- Firefights and skirmishes are pretty good, not fantastic
- From the Valley map that I played, it was WAY too defense oriented. Multiple defensive vehicle turrets + MPC = not a whole lot of progression
- Strogg vehicles seems to be a lot better
- Couldn't find any graphics settings so the whole time I was playing on blocky 30fps. The game ran like butter (it had better at these settings...)
- Learning curve does seem steep like many had mentioned
- overall, the game kind of feels like a bastard child of UT and TFC crossed with a war FPS. It's better at being a war FPS than the other two.

As someone who's never played the series before, I think the game has a lot of potential but still needs a whole lot of polishing.

FoggyFreek

You can find the graphical settings under Settings. A new tab comes up where you have to click settings again. Click advanced to really up the graphical details. (like terrain on high = awesome!)

I've been playing this for non-stop 1 week now and finally demo players know what to do. I don't understand people say that it needs more polish? I mean, it's very, very polished already? The fact is that there are a zillion options to find out. People complain that certain features are missing but they do exist, problem is they can't find them.

I love playing GDF soldier getting rid of all the deployables in phase 2 (MCP)
I love playing Strogg to fly the Tormentor, brilliant piece of machinery

Deployables really add to the experience, i dig it.

Only problem i have with the game are the fireteams, the people on your team should be more visible onscreen.

Any updated impressions?

I'm loving it, although my gaming time is currently very limited. Servers are crowded and most people came to grips with the demo and you can get some great games in.

Balancing is far better for me now. The Titan got nerfed a bit, just as the Goliath, which is good in my opinion. I don't like overpowered vehicles. I really like the Trojan now, esp. with it's amphibious nature it's very useful.

I do think that the Tormentor is vastly superior to the Anansi though. That needs a bit of tweaking.

My overall accuracy was upped by the demo as well. Weapons don't feel loose but really tight now. Esp. Railgun and Sniper rifle are far more useful than before.

Personally I can't wait for my pre-order to ship.

Davidion

FoggyFreek said:
You can find the graphical settings under Settings. A new tab comes up where you have to click settings again. Click advanced to really up the graphical details. (like terrain on high = awesome!)

I've been playing this for non-stop 1 week now and finally demo players know what to do. I don't understand people say that it needs more polish? I mean, it's very, very polished already? The fact is that there are a zillion options to find out. People complain that certain features are missing but they do exist, problem is they can't find them.

I love playing GDF soldier getting rid of all the deployables in phase 2 (MCP)
I love playing Strogg to fly the Tormentor, brilliant piece of machinery

Deployables really add to the experience, i dig it.

Only problem i have with the game are the fireteams, the people on your team should be more visible onscreen.

Any updated impressions?

Really? Thanks for that, will go check it out.

Top Bottom