• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Map size is going to be "incredibly huge"

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's not the size, but how you use it...

Memes aside, I hope they make the world fun the explore with lots of meaningful content like dungeons and other cool places and meaningful rewards, basically giving the player a reason to explore the world and not just going from point A to point B.

REDRZA MWS

I'm in the same boat leaning PC. I'm not going to preorder so I have time to see if there are optimization issues.
Exactly where I’m at . Leaning PC too, but I always fear optimization issues, especially FROM games, other than PlayStation platforms. Gina be hard to wait though, tbh. First game I’m looking forward to in a long time.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Exactly where I’m at . Leaning PC too, but I always fear optimization issues, especially FROM games, other than PlayStation platforms. Gina be hard to wait though, tbh. First game I’m looking forward to in a long time.
Weren't Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro nicely optimzed? Don't remember having trouble with those at the time.

REDRZA MWS REDRZA MWS go for PC if you care about mods. If not, consoles might give you a less cheater-filled multiplayer experience, if you care about that.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Is this a typical "gamey" map or is it a lived in breathing world like say Witcher3 with towns, villages etc or is the map all points of interests quest areas

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Splat Squirt GIF by chescaleigh

Saber

Gold Member
This couple with the fact that most people gonna be dead before even starting exploring the map, then you have a recipe for the greatest exploration. And without mentioning all the dungeons in between, which I'm gonna probably stop to explore.

Last edited:
I remember in the 360 and PS3 days that developers used to boast about the size of the map and I suppose for technical reasons it was to a certain extent impressive to be able to create maps like that but I think it very quickly became an issue for games as seemed to become the goal but the gameplay itself was often in comparison to the larger maps.
I would imagine, and hope, that From would design the map around the gameplay and whatever size the map ends up being just feels right for this particular game.

S0ULZB0URNE

Not impressed by the size. Could be a lot big empty places just making the traveling a nuisance. Hope im wrong tho.
Going by what I played and the numerous youtubers who played it even more, you have no reason to be "concerned"

One guy got over 70 hours out of the Network test.

Dr_Salt

Didn't Miyazaki say that the world wasn't that big because they wanted to add as much detail as they could?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If that's all it is (the purple part plus a little more where it's cut off) that's not really THAT large. For a Souls game, sure, it's big, but definitely not "incredibly huge" by any standard.

There were some theories that the map was actually the ring in the game's title, as in what we've seen so far is only one "side" of a ring-shaped map. Now THAT would be huge. Probably doesn't make sense though.

I do think the map looks weirdly elongated though, like it's a "corridor", which is pretty uncommon for an open world game. Good way to gate progression though, Tsushima did it pretty much exactly that way.

Top Bottom