• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Due to expiring car and track licences, Project CARS 2 will be delisted on September 21st and Project CARS on October 3rd

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
A box with a [insert platform here] code inside is not "physical".
If you can't play the game from the disc and without internet, it's not physical. It's a digital copy with extra steps.

Unironically, old game good, new game bad.
AFAIK some physical games requires patches to run, or a specific OS of your console.

If you can't get Internet, and can't get patch, then you are fucked either way.

brian0057

Banned
AFAIK some physical games requires patches to run, or a specific OS of your console.

If you can't get Internet, and can't get patch, then you are fucked either way.
It's still a digital game with extra steps.
I can still play my copies of Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and there's nothing Nintendo can do about it.
Again, old game good, new game bad.

You would think they would have this figured out by now. Wasn't one of the Forza games delisted recently as well?
yes, That was Forza 7. and Forza Horizon 4 will soon follow.

The thing is that they negotiate a one time payment or one 4 year timed authorization to use said property in their game, they should instead pay a fee for each game sold, review the fee according to how many people are still playing the game... or something.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Shit where?

FEAR 2 is on sale for $4.99 on Xbox, FEAR 3 is currently not on sale right now but it also frequently goes on sale.

Right now its $19.99

Skifi28

yes, That was Forza 7. and Forza Horizon 4 will soon follow.

The thing is that they negotiate a one time payment or one 4 year timed authorization to use said property in their game, they should instead pay a fee for each game sold, review the fee according to how many people are still playing the game... or something.
Wait, Forza 7 was delisted already? Before the release of the next game? That's Brutal, it feels like they're throwing away potential sales. A steam release would have been big, I always had issues with the game on the Windows store.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I can still play my copies of Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and there's nothing Nintendo can do about it.
Many old games that ran directly from disk without internet don't run anymore due to disk protection measures. To play them on modern systems you need patches and cracks.
And to play old console games you need to get your hands on said console which often isn't really simple, not to mention you can't back up these games to avoid disk deterioration issues since consoles usually block such copies from running (DRM).
On the other hand i can back up digital GOG copies of my games however many times i want and play them even after GOG or the game developer are long gone, and i won't have to deal with any sort of protection blocking my game.

As i said in another post, this shouldn't be a "physical vs digital" issue, its a "DRM vs no-DRM" one. What you call "digital game with extra steps" on a disk is DRM.

Last edited:
Wait, Forza 7 was delisted already? Before the release of the next game? That's Brutal, it feels like they're throwing away potential sales. A steam release would have been big, I always had issues with the game on the Windows store.
It was indeed. September 2021. It was released in 2017 so it's just the way the cookie crumbles. 4 years and bust.

They just didn't assume they would do a 5 year hiatus, I guess. The way they do contracts should be revised. I'd love a Forza 4 and Gran Turismo 2 re-release myself.

At least Microsoft games can still be played if you purchased them digitally or own the discs, I suspect that won't be the case with GT7 with the need to authenticate to get in. What's the use of maintaining that working once they can't sell the game anymore and probably released a successor? Forza 6 was better than Forza 7 in my book, good thing I could stay behind.
Maybe it's a US thing bro but here in the UK our chain store CEX sells them at £6 a piece and I have seen plenty local listings on Ebay and from stores on Ebay going for £8-12

UK has it good. CEX always has good prices. I used to buy lots of games when in London.

Where I live, CEX exists but prices are crap, overpriced.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

PC2 is still my favorite sim racer on PCVR and also on steamdeck. Just wish it was easier to rewind races in single player mode. Also wish I had bought Need for Speed: Shift when it was available.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
A box with a [insert platform here] code inside is not "physical".
If you can't play the game from the disc and without internet, it's not physical. It's a digital copy with extra steps.

Unironically, old game good, new game bad.
Good thing we still can without disc and internet.

Kdad

Madbox wen?

three-mad-box.jpg

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Why are there even times licenses? It would have made more sense to arrange a contract where you pay the license fee and that is it. As long as it's on sale then all is good.

Why are there even times licenses? It would have made more sense to arrange a contract where you pay the license fee and that is it. As long as it's on sale then all is good.
surely because one time payment is always better. companies get more money upfront but they get less money in the long run, specially if the game is more successful than it's worst projections.

brian0057

Banned
Good thing we still can without disc and internet.
You still own it physically if you have stored on your local storage.
Unless the devs break into your house and steal your drives, there's nothing they can do about it.
I honestly wanna know why people are so eager to throw their property rights straight into an incinerator.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Unless the devs break into your house and steal your drives, there's nothing they can do about it.
I honestly wanna know why people are so eager to throw their property rights straight into an incinerator.
Like who?

Guilty_AI

I think its just arguing semantics at this point. You're calling anything that can be stored and run locally without internet "physical", while others call it "DRM-free".

Lets just agree that no internet requirements to run = good, internet requirements to run = bad

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Lets just agree that no internet requirements to run = good, internet requirements to run = bad
Now that's something on which we can agree.

The reason I make the distinction between DRM and physical is that, unless you have a copy stored locally (physically in your hardware) or pirated, a digital game without DRM is not better than a digital game with DRM. The devs can, at any point and without your consent, take it down, change it, or remove it entirely.
A physical copy, DRM or not, doesnt have that problem. DRM can be cracked and there's nothing the devs can do about it.
You can't crack a digital copy back into completion (or into existence, if it was removed).

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
PC2 is still 60 bucks on Steam lmao

First one is like 5 right now.

Thing about PC gaming is you can also find great deals elsewhere. GreenManGaming is offering 93% discount for a Steam Key right now for PC2

El3vTHo.jpg

R6Rider

Gold Member
Thing about PC gaming is you can also find great deals elsewhere. GreenManGaming is offering 93% discount for a Steam Key right now for PC2
I was simply pointing out that I'm surprised it's that high of a price on Steam still.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Well yeah, you bought the games before they were taken off shelves. Nintendo not selling a game anymore isn't that much different from delisting
This is a bummer, but now I have a reason to buy these games before they go away forever

Guilty_AI

Now that's something on which we can agree.

The reason I make the distinction between DRM and physical is that, unless you have a copy stored locally (physically in your hardware) or pirated, a digital game without DRM is not better than a digital game with DRM. The devs can, at any point and without your consent, take it down, change it, or remove it entirely.
A physical copy, DRM or not, doesnt have that problem. DRM can be cracked and there's nothing the devs can do about it.
You can't crack a digital copy back into completion (or into existence, if it was removed).
I guess its a good point. Its actually a good reason to buy stuff on GOG even if the Steam version is technically DRM-free, since GOG lets you block or revert back up to 5 previous updates.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
as usual, the prodigital supporters no where to be seen.

so what's your issue? if you want the game there has been plenty of time to buy it, if you own the game it will still play and you will still be able to redownlod it from the store. physical copies will stop being made to

0neAnd0nly

Maybe I am having too much trust, but I am not expecting to outlive Steam or Xbox store.

Maybe.

But people in the 90s also probably never though “Circuit City” would cease to exist, people in the 80s with Sears, or who would have guessed Activision sells to MS a year ago?

Things change. Fast, relatively speaking.

Valedix

The opposite. Digital is the only real way to preserve games. There will always be an easy way to access projects cars without having to track down limited printed copies that increase in price over the years.
Uhh wheres the logic here? How am i supposed to buy a game that is no longer for sale?

Skifi28

Uhh wheres the logic here? How am i supposed to buy a game that is no longer for sale?
There is no reason to buy a game that is no longer on sale. A digital game is forever preserved and you will always have easy access to it while physical games become stupidly expensive on the second hand market and copies deteriorate.

Last edited:

Valedix

There is no reason to buy a game that is no longer on sale. A digital game is forever preserved and you will always have easy access to it while physical games become stupidly expensive on the second hand market and copies deteriorate.
Yeah but only way to get the game after its been delisted is for physical copy or a 3rd party key but don't even think that will work. Look at Rockstar they removed all original trilogy games from Steam and other stores forcing you to buy the remastered version, where as you can still get classical on physical.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Yeah but only way to get the game after its been delisted is for physical copy or a 3rd party key but don't even think that will work. Look at Rockstar they removed all original trilogy games from Steam and other stores forcing you to buy the remastered version, where as you can still get classical on physical.
I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. If they don't sell the game anymore, piracy is not really piracy and as I said, there will always be easy access to a copy of the game. This is the only real game preservation.

Valedix

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. If they don't sell the game anymore, piracy is not really piracy and as I said, there will always be easy access to a copy of the game. This is the only real game preservation.
Piracy is piracy mate no way to change the subject to suit your needs.

Top Bottom