• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Due to expiring car and track licences, Project CARS 2 will be delisted on September 21st and Project CARS on October 3rd

//DEVIL//

Thank god I own them both on steam.

It's sad. these 2 games are probably some of the best sim racing games ever created.

3 on the other hand... yeah that die ..

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

delisting is really the worst. Imagine if they weren't allowed to sell movies anymore because of a car that was in it, or a song
It can happen to movies too. I've seen it with music licenses, but what they usually do is replace it rather than pull the whole thing. Some games do this too (like GTA removing musics from the radio)

A bit harder in this case since these cars and tracks are the whole point of the game.

shaddam

Vrmj3W4.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
delisting is really the worst. Imagine if they weren't allowed to sell movies anymore because of a car that was in it, or a song
You do know that can happen, with songs its just easier to replace the song in the movie or even in games.
With cars studios are generally clever youll see alot of movies/tv shows with debadged vehicles from the get go, thats cuz with movies/TV companies actually beg them to advertise the cars, that cool guy is driving our car hells yeah....but we dont want to pay, so the studio debadges it, but music you do license out, so if a license expires that movie cant be sold anymore(obviously physical copies stay out there) but the digital release will likely be altered, relicensed or just delisted.

A common example is anyone who watched House M.D.....if you watched it in the US then watched in it in other regions the opening is different, thats all because of licensing.
Tripped me the fuck out the first time cuz ive lived in the US, Australia, UK, Africa, Singapore and have heard all the different intros before, so much so I actually DONT tie Teardrop with House M.D but instead the second and third intros in the below video are what a tie to House:

Makes it even weirder that it (and iirc also PC3) at first was listed among the PS+ titles and then got removed around its actual launch. Would have been their last chance to get some money out of it, which they now missed sort of on purpose. PC3 seems to be still possible then, but that is the iteration which was reviewed the least favorable.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not really. Only as long as the stores are stilll online and their accounts still active.

The only ones who can keep their digital stuff forever are pirates or those who buy stuff without DRM, such as GoG stuff.

So if a store shut down PC users can just pirate the game, if they lost it.

None of these stores will be closing in my lifetime, regardless.

It can happen to movies too. I've seen it with music licenses, but what they usually do is replace it rather than pull the whole thing. Some games do this too (like GTA removing musics from the radio)

A bit harder in this case since these cars and tracks are the whole point of the game.
Yes.

The big reason why Moonlighting isn’t available anywhere – not on streaming, or on Bluray or DVD – is because of the music! Series creator shared that the reason was definitely the music over anything else.

(...) He added that now, the reason he was given was that the “big problem we have is, the show is just larded with music. None of those rights have been sewn up, and we believe it would be cost prohibitive to go get them now.”

“The last conversation that I had with them, which I’m guessing was probably about two years ago, the music was really the financial reason” (...) Moonlighting featured music from all over, and wasn’t concentrated into just one genre.

“We licensed stuff from the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s, and also broke new music,” he shared. “We were sort of all over the map, and actually sometimes used to philharmonic music – ‘The William Tell Overture’ or whatever worked the best.”
Source: https://www.justjared.com/2022/04/1...onlighting-isnt-available-to-stream-anywhere/

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You would think they would have this figured out by now. Wasn't one of the Forza games delisted recently as well?

Last edited:
You act like most movies are able to be bought and still be sold. It's not like one can got out and buy The Abyss, True Lies, Fright Night 2 on BluRay.
There are movies that will be taken down for various reasons

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Not really. Only as long as the stores are stilll online and their accounts still active.

The only ones who can keep their digital stuff forever are pirates or those who buy stuff without DRM, such as GoG stuff.
You can backup your own game in any media and keep it "forever".

Guilty_AI

Is there any reason to prefer Project Cars 1/2 over Assetto Corsa?
According to people who have both, PC1/2 have better carrer modes, they're more 'gamey' in a sense. They're good for people after more classic sim racing experience of progressing through a campaign and scaling up the ladders of competitive racing and such.

Assetto Corsa is usually better for people genuinely interested in the Sim aspect, as well as mods.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

But it won't function if it has DRM. Though a simple crack should fix that i guess.
Thats the thing, physical media also has DRM. In fact, i notice a lot of the time that what stops old disk media games from working right away on modern PCs is outdated DRM, requiring contact with dead servers or relying on long removed dlls.

Its about time people realize this isn't about "physical vs digital", its about "DRMed vs DRM-free".

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
As if physical is not affected too???
A box with a [insert platform here] code inside is not "physical".
If you can't play the game from the disc and without internet, it's not physical. It's a digital copy with extra steps.

Unironically, old game good, new game bad.

MikeM

Yeah you'll be able to sell your physical copy of Project Cars for $5 on eBay instead of $3. That's a 67% increase!
Just bought Fear 3 for $30 on 360. Only available on physical. Its known that physical games go up in value as licenses expire.

I hate how car games are one of the most disposable game genres behind sports games when talking about licenses. I won't miss Project Cars 2 but this is a bummer.

Top Bottom