• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yesterday we announced a new weapon for April Fool's Day:

New weapon for Dudebro II: the Smiling Pussy (a lovely kitten)

smilp1.png

The actual joke was that the weapon is 100% real.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Before/after:

(the pic on the left is just a render of the old assets, it's not ingame)

Only if you ask nicely.

Serious answer: In the old build, the green ones used to explode, but in the new one we made them inert, and only the red barrels do :)

You should have a Soviet Russia stage were the Red barrels shoot you and YOU explode.
Maybe an Add on..I can help with character design, i draw real good ^__^

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
You should have a Soviet Russia stage were the Red barrels shoot you and YOU explode.
Maybe an Add on..I can help with character design, i draw real good ^__^
Not related to Soviet Russia in any way, but there's something deep in the WIP sprite sheets that seems close enough... hope that makes the cut :)

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I think Far Cry Blood Dragon is beating you guys to the punch. Wouldn't this game be redundant?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I think Far Cry Blood Dragon is beating you guys to the punch. Wouldn't this game be redundant?
In some ways, I guess so. The humor seems kind of similar, and the same could be said for the pixel art cutscenes (especially the one on the helicopter from the beginning of BD could easily get inserted in one scene from DB, switching the characters around, and it would fit perfectly). The actual games are completely different though, so no reason to feel Dudebro is redundant imho. They may scratch a similar itch regarding exaggerated action and, in some ways, nostalgia of the 80s, but that's about it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
New website update: after last year's "Things You Didn't Know About Dudebro II", enter "Things You Didn't Know 2: Electric Brogaloo":

• Progress has been steady for the past few months, and the game is getting more and more polished.
  • After gathering some feedback, Dudebro’s walking speed has been increased, making him more agile and responsive.
  • Remember the “significant, yet still incomplete, visual feature” supposedly not in the reveal trailer? It’s fully working now, and will be revealed soon.
  • One of the new weapons is officially fucking awesome. Everyone loved it during playtesting. Scientists confirmed it as “made of awesomantium”. There is no way around it. Wikipedia is getting updated as we speak.
  • Habemus Chicken’s peculiar first name was chosen after a misunderstanding on NeoGAF.
  • The Dude Squad spelled backwards is Dauqs Edud.
  • The game features a number of “Brotips” etched on wooden signs. Dudebro bothers to stop and read them because of the pics of naked ladies all around the text.
  • Dudebro was originally going to star in a new Old Spice commercial, but shit got fucked up and he went on a mission instead.
  • Long before getting his scars from a kitten, General Lee used to like cats. But that wasn’t considered manly enough, so he underwent surgery and now he hates them.
  • A post-release DLC scheme with payment in beer/junk food has been considered for more than thirty-six seconds.
  • Just like with the first list, some of these facts are completely false and made up on the spot. Okay, I admit it. We enjoy doing it.
  • As shown by this post, sequels are often more polished than the original but tend to become predictable after a while.

I bolded the (hopefully) more interesting parts of some of the real facts. But not all of them :)

I feel like an unclean, not-worthy peasant begging for a release date, but damn, I want a release date.

Do it. Do it noooow!

And, holy shit, it has been almost 4 years since Dudebro was born. You are a dedicated group of bros/broettes for sure.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thanks! :)

I feel like an unclean, not-worthy peasant begging for a release date, but damn, I want a release date.

Do it. Do it noooow!
I wish I could man, but giving a date that might get missed (usually because of the few remaining members's jobs getting in the way) wouldn't be much useful.
In the meantime, we plan to keep having regular updates and release more media (and hopefully have something playable before release, but that would still be pretty far away, so too early to discuss now).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
reading the other thread I had an urge to know what happened to this game?
Coming along nicely, and getting more and more polished as we go. Constant updates on the website (most of the time showing new media), some posted here and (very rarely, probably too rarely) snippets in the indie development thread.

The current focus is improving the audio engine. We're also slowly conceptualizing a new trailer to show off the progress from the past few months (hopefully this time at 60 fps, unlike the previous trailer).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Today's website update is one peculiar wallpaper made entirely with gameplay assets:

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Keep up the good work. This reminds me of the spreads you'd get in Nintendo Magazines during the 90s!
That's the inspiration :) I used to love the entire levels reconstructed picture by picture in gaming magazines back in the 90s.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Heh, totally forgot about those. Though I suppose I subscribed to Nintendo Power around '97 so I guess there weren't enough 2D games then.
We didn't have Nintendo Power in Italy, but I remember fondly one issue of an Italian magazine with the entirety of the levels from Super Mario World.
So awesome.

I've been following DudeBro for years, keeping up with the website's updates and such, and I'm wondering, have you guys considered running a Kickstarter for a small sum to help with the development costs? Alternatively, I believe the game is supposed to be totally free, but is there any consideration for trying to release it for PC (Steam, GOG, etc)/iOS/Android?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I've been following DudeBro for years, keeping up with the website's updates and such, and I'm wondering, have you guys considered running a Kickstarter for a small sum to help with the development costs? Alternatively, I believe the game is supposed to be totally free, but is there any consideration for trying to release it for PC (Steam, GOG, etc)/iOS/Android?
Thanks man.
Kickstarter would probably be more useful in case we needed to raise a large amount of money for a specific goal.
Getting on Steam is definitely in the plans, but for a iOS/Android release the biggest hurdle would probably be the lack of physical buttons.

nampad

I have to say I like the old HUD better. I prefer having a background for information. Sucks that it hampers the visibility of things so much.

Thanks man.
Kickstarter would probably be more useful in case we needed to raise a large amount of money for a specific goal.
Getting on Steam is definitely in the plans, but for a iOS/Android release the biggest hurdle would probably be the lack of physical buttons.

Did anything come out of this: https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/status/330085896600838144 ?

Jhoan

I went to the website recently to see what's been going on. Saw the HUD upgrade. It looks like this is one of those games that's going to be ready when it's perfect. The theme song alone is bad ass as I get stuck in my head from time to time.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I have to say I like the old HUD better. I prefer having a background for information. Sucks that it hampers the visibility of things so much.
Yep, the old one is a lot more visible.
That's why it was the way it was, but at this resolution (320x180 for gameplay assets) it was unfortunately too big. It was most noticeable in smaller environments, like a single screen room that we had to redesign a couple of times because the HUD kept getting in the way.
After you get used to how different the new one looks, it feels a lot better in practice.

EDIT: To give more perspective, here's how both HUDs look on whole screenshots:

Not yet, actually.

I went to the website recently to see what's been going on. Saw the HUD upgrade. It looks like this is one of those games that's going to be ready when it's perfect. The theme song alone is bad ass as I get stuck in my head from time to time.
:)

TommyT

Any thought of every throwing this up on kick starter (or private GAF initiative) to maybe help bring in some extra assets for you guys?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Any thought of every throwing this up on kick starter (or private GAF initiative) to maybe help bring in some extra assets for you guys?
Thanks man, but for now that doesn't seem to be a concern. Should things change, or should we happen to need funds for a specific goal, then it will be worth considering :)

Man, this is looking hot. Keep it up, can't wait to check out the final product! :)

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Aw I got all excited :(
Fingers crossed it's out until the fifth anniversary of the Imagine Babyz thread.

Top Bottom