• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Those are some pretty awesome gifs right there!
The physics on that blood splatter are glorious.
:)

Not trying to be a jerk, honestly I'm not, but I feel like Broforce is the elephant in the room. I wonder if it's eaten up Dudebro's lunch, at least theming-wise.
So please allow me to shoot
/something
the elephant once and for all.

Broforce did beat us to the market (not hard to do, when you only have a bunch of people working part-time...), but I believe it's different enough to leave plenty of burgers on the table for both.

They may both be 2D sidescrollers with a "bros gone to war" theme, but this is where the similarities pretty much end. Likewise, CoD may share the same genre and theme as CounterStrike or ArmA, but we all know that's not enough to lump them all together, as they have very distinct gameplay styles and are aimed at different audiences.

I admit I haven't played Broforce yet (in fact, I've tried to avoid most media from the game to prevent being influenced unconsciously), so please feel free to correct me if I say anything inaccurate, but I believe it's way more focused on shooting/explosions and co-op/multiplayer, with most of the humor being the cameos and references to action movies. Dudebro, on the other hand, is more geared towards single player
(but not only that!)
, with well-defined level design that requires skillful use of the tools at your disposal to traverse, and a style of humor that's more akin to Naked Gun or Edgar Wright than Scary Movie (genre parody, rather than specific references).

So, ideally, both games would complement each other rather nicely.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So, yesterday JSJ tried out the game:
WJMTUnP.jpg

Jon St John Himself said:
I'm having fun at RoFCon and so pleased to have run into Robert to discuss the future of DUDEBRO! Not familiar? It's a way cool side scroller where weapons include a dolphin that fires from its blowhole, and a cat that fires a rainbow out its ass! Sounds nuts, right? It is!!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's a way cool side scroller where weapons include a dolphin that fires from its blowhole, and a cat that fires a rainbow out its ass!

I neeeeeed this!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
It's funny how most weapons ended up being tied to some sort of animal. It wasn't intentional, it just happened.

so1337

Weren't St. John's voice recordings some of the first "assets" for this game? I might be wrong.

edit: Actually, he joined when you guys were still doing the top down prototype. Time flies.

I call dibs on getting in on the alpha or beta or whatever. I still have a no-longer-working web link to the old top-down 3D version of the game... Which I will say I am glad you've left far behind.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Weren't St. John's voice recordings some of the first "assets" for this game? I might be wrong.

edit: Actually, he joined when you guys were still doing the top down prototype. Time flies.
Yep, he's been there pretty much from the beginning :)
Fun fact: up to two days before ROFCON, we used to have a nasty bug in the SFX priority system which was cutting off voice acted lines whenever someone fired a shot. Pretty decent timing to fix it!

I call dibs on getting in on the alpha or beta or whatever. I still have a no-longer-working web link to the old top-down 3D version of the game... Which I will say I am glad you've left far behind.
Dibs noted!
We've left the old top-down version behind, true, but we've kept making a few nods here and there on the website. For instance, a recent update had a desktop wallpaper made with those assets (to not let them go to waste completely):

Love that you guys are still working hard on this, and it's looking great! Can't wait to play :D
Hey there! Thanks Spoo :)

It really does look good. ETA?
For the full game, it may still take a while as we're few, all with full time jobs... mine, specifically, has been especially crushing for almost a year and a half now.

On the other hand, a demo/alpha/early access version might be coming much sooner.

rSpooky

Hi , just wanted to add. As you can tell Jon is very excited about this project , and he is being a great guy in his support on this . I had a great talk with him about the game and we did some good brain storming ..some cool ideas came out of it.

And I must say it is a hilarious unreal experience to talk to a man when he suddenly recites lines he sees on the screen in the voice of Dudebro while you demo :p

Guys we know it is taking forever, but this is going to see the light of day... ! Hang in there.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Any new information if there will be a Vita port? Yes, I won't let that question go easily :p
:)

The answer at the moment is always "after the PC version is done, we'll do our best to port it to other platforms".

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
OMG I get so excited whenever I see this thread is bumped in my subscriptions. I'm in awe that this is actually still a thing.. can't wait dudebros!

edit: I wish the images in the OP still worked. It was such a legendary photoshop thread. And seeing those pics would bring back some awesome memories of how great GAF was back then. :(

Cuburt

Just wanted to post to show my support. I've been following this game since the beginning and occasionally search for this thread to see where development is but I don't want to bump it in case someone mistakes the bump for news.

But seeing that it's been bumped while I was on I just wanted to post while I had the chance.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Huge bosses? Hypehypehype.
Huge you say?

Just wanted to post to show my support. I've been following this game since the beginning and occasionally search for this thread to see where development is but I don't want to bump it in case someone mistakes the bump for news.

But seeing that it's been bumped while I was on I just wanted to post while I had the chance.
Well, it's a good chance to post stuff some may have missed.

Like sparks:

Or bloodstains:

Or broils:

Or a wallpaper made with the old 3D assets:

EDIT: Just realized the wp was already posted here. Whoops!

Xater

Still really looking forward to the release of this. Still sad I wasn't able to contribute because I lack the necessary skills.

Huggers

I assumed this must have stumbled in development and wasn't going to make it. So awesome it is still in the works. All over it when it comes out. Keep up the good work!

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
on a scale from 0 (beginning of development) to 100 (release), where approximatley do you think you are with the game?
Really looking forward to it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
on a scale from 0 (beginning of development) to 100 (release), where approximatley do you think you are with the game?
Really looking forward to it.
More than percentages, it really depends on whatever external difficulties show up to slow down work. In fact, the biggest bump in the road so far has been my own partial unavailability for the past year and a half, caused by ongoing crunch time at work that unfortunately has been taking its heavy toll not only on me personally, but also on the time I could devote to the game. Many of the others went through their own stuff as well. So, during that period, we've accomplished much less than what was done before in mere months. I'd rather avoid going through the details, but I'm rather confident this one problem of mine will be over, in one way or another, in a few months tops. Fingers crossed.

More than percentages, it really depends on whatever external difficulties show up to slow down work. In fact, the biggest bump in the road so far has been my own partial unavailability for the past year and a half, caused by ongoing crunch time at work that unfortunately has been taking its heavy toll not only on me personally, but also on the time I could devote to the game. Many of the others went through their own stuff as well. So, during that period, we've accomplished much less than what was done before in mere months. I'd rather avoid going through the details, but I'm rather confident this one problem of mine will be over, in one way or another, in a few months tops. Fingers crossed.

I believe!

rSpooky

Yup,
Still kicking.
Small team , big ambition :)
Reworking the sound assets as well and working on new dialog also. ( and YES JsJ is still on board as well).
But as with Jocchan.. Real life can be a real attention grabber. :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just don't let your reach extend your grasp, guys. We all know that Miyamoto quote about delaying games, but don't work so hard that the game won't come out at all!

rSpooky

Am I still voicing Chicken? :D

No need for name calling ;) ... send you a PM.
Just don't let your reach extend your grasp, guys. We all know that Miyamoto quote about delaying games, but don't work so hard that the game won't come out at all!
True, there are so many aspects to it , you would not always expect initially.It does make you appreciate all those game makers (especially indies) so much more.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Today's update was a small surprise: an official Super Mario Maker level.

Today we have a special treat for all of you Wii U™ owners. Yes, both of you!

Super Dude Bros.™ II Chapter 1-1: Dawgs of War, the first and hopefully not last official Dudebro™ II level for the recently released Super Mario Maker™, is now available to download and play*.

tOkx5Vd.png

This level is reachable through the following ID: (625F-0000-0070-42F1).

It is the year 2015. Supah Mariobro, a heroic plumber from B.R.O. Alliance, embarks on a grand adventure to rescue his beloved Brincess Beach from the greedy paws of the KooPro professional terrorist organization.
Will he triumph, or will his addiction to mushrooms spell his doom? Will he find the three 1up mushrooms hidden across the land? Will he beat his high score? There is only one answer to these questions: it’s all up to you!

*) To play this level you need access to a copy of Super Mario Maker™, an Internet connection, and, well, a Wii U™.

It's loosely based on part of the first chapter, with which it shares part of the level design (obviously adapted to the very different Mario gameplay). Hopefully, it's a fun level too.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Well now I need to buy Mario Maker.
You really do, it's a great tool for creativity!
For those without the game, some days ago GAFfer Bjoern the Smexy streamed gameplay from a bunch of GAF made levels. Among them, Super Dude Bros. II 1-1 (starting from 1h 52m 37s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgXNztdJs4#t=1h52m37s

The level has quite a few secrets not shown in this video, so not too many spoilers either!

Any news as of late? The website hasn't been updated since October it seems and as always I'm excited to see what's good.

sorry in advance to anyone seeing this getting bumped and expecting some announcement.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Not a lot of news... yet.

I've been forced to take some time off for personal reasons, so the website posts stopped suddenly (I've been doing them myself for a while), ending uncerimoniously a 5 years+ long streak of regular biweekly updates.

But they're coming back. Not sure if they'll still have a regular schedule, or if they're going to focus on more significant content whenever it's ready (so, cutting out the fluff). Out of curiosity, which would you prefer?

Not a lot of news... yet.

I've been forced to take some time off for personal reasons, so the website posts stopped suddenly (I've been doing them myself for a while), ending uncerimoniously a 5 years+ long streak of regular biweekly updates.

But they're coming back. Not sure if they'll still have a regular schedule, or if they're going to focus on more significant content whenever it's ready (so, cutting out the fluff). Out of curiosity, which would you prefer?

Major updates would be my preference. Fluff is nice, but since you're all so busy anyway, seems like the priority should be to focus on major updates and not bother with small things. But I'm just one random person.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Well, there's always the good ol' fashioned art of compromise: a little bit of both :)

Jhoan

I liked the smaller stuff but I don't mind major updates. The website was great. I'm looking forward to any type of news for it really.

Jhoan

Has it really been a year and a half already?! I went to their website the other day and was bummed out by the lack of updates. Jocchan post if the game is still alive.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I've actually been asked about a week ago, so I'll just paste here my reply:

Hello there, Mr. Random GAFfer.

Short answer: it's not dead.

Long-ass answer: I've gone on record saying I have a big responsibility myself in its lateness, as I've been forced into crunch at work for almost three years straight, so its toll has been devastating not only on myself but also, sadly, on Dudebro. I've gone from being able to work on the game every day to weekends, to a couple times a month, to once in a blue moon. Which is a damn shame.

Now that the product I've been working on has finally launched (and has been featured in more than one Superbowl ad *wink wink*) things have been winding down a little, so I'm trying to catch up with the years I've lost. First, with getting married (next month). Then, hopefully right after the honeymoon, with Dudebro.

After all this time the first step will probably need to be reassessing the situation. But fingers crossed.
Thanks for asking man, I hope to have good news soon.
Cheers,

Jocch

...And right after I typed things were winding down, I had to work through the weekend. What the hell.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2 lives?!

This is exciting news indeed. Best of luck! I hope all the original GAFfer voice work and such is retained! (*^-') 乃

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Hey, there's been a few blue moons during all this time, after all!

Reassessing the situation will also mean checking what's available and still missing in terms of assets, including voice work, and who is still available to contribute :)

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Hey, there's been a few blue moons during all this time, after all!

Reassessing the situation will also mean checking what's available and still missing in terms of assets, including voice work, and who is still available to contribute :)

This dawg is always down to do his mediocre Hayter impression.

I can also do semi-decent pixel art?

Top Bottom