• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Entitlement. Reasonable or Overcharge

Is Dual Entitlement Charge Reasonable or an Overcharge

• Reasonable

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • Overcharge

Votes: 151 79.9%
  • You are of Other Opinion

Votes: 11 5.8%

• Total voters

MDSLKTR

Even the normies on Plebit are revolting, 4.5k upvotes on rgaming.

3uut31fcr3l71.png
Is Dual entitlement the new sense of pride and accomplishment?

Markio128

Even the normies on Plebit are revolting, 4.5k upvotes on rgaming.

3uut31fcr3l71.png
Whilst I don’t agree with Sony not giving the option for PS4 owners to pay for an upgrade to the PS5 version, I don’t believe for one second that MS would not do the same if they didn’t have endless $. I distinctly remember purchasing Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Windwaker and Skyward Sword on their original console, but Ninty didn’t give me any option of free upgrades, or a small upgrade fee on following consoles. It’s business.

NickFire

if you ignore the labels and keep it real, the crux of the argument is whether or not the recent / future first party Sony games are worth the price that you pay? And to that my answer is 100%, without question.

Also, imagine sitting at a 5 star steakhouse, chowing down on a $60 rib eye, complete with a la carte sides, while sipping creative drinks from a top notch bar tender. But then outback across the street opens its windows, and the people eating the outback special point and laugh at how much your steak costs compared to theirs. That is what these debates often remind me of.

As an aside, no offense to outback intended. I'll always love the bloomin onion.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
if you ignore the labels and keep it real, the crux of the argument is whether or not the recent / future first party Sony games are worth the price that you pay? And to that my answer is 100%, without question.

Also, imagine sitting at a 5 star steakhouse, chowing down on a $60 rib eye, complete with a la carte sides, while sipping creative drinks from a top notch bar tender. But then outback across the street opens its windows, and the people eating the outback special point and laugh at how much your steak costs compared to theirs. That is what these debates often remind me of.

As an aside, no offense to outback intended. I'll always love the bloomin onion.
69dd4f6bea4966df9c8d167c03c8c909b3-13-wojak-00.2x.h473.w710.jpg

Interfectum

bitch slap GIF

NickFire

Seems my analogy was not appreciated. I'll try again.

Is it reasonable for Porsche to charge more for premium sound packages than Honda?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Whilst I don’t agree with Sony not giving the option for PS4 owners to pay for an upgrade to the PS5 version, I don’t believe for one second that MS would not do the same if they didn’t have endless $. I distinctly remember purchasing Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Windwaker and Skyward Sword on their original console, but Ninty didn’t give me any option of free upgrades, or a small upgrade fee on following consoles. It’s business.

MS is simply treating the games like PC games instead of console games. When Bioshock remastered came out, your Steam copies upgraded automatically. Same thing with Borderlands and the HD GOTY edition. On the PC you don't need to pay for a new version of the game when you buy a new GPU, and MS is treating the Series X|S upgrades the same way.

I have a Sandy Bridge HTPC, which I mainly use as a home server these days.

My current main rig is a Skylake i7.

If any motherfucker on Steam asks me to pay "dUaL eNtItLeMeNt tAx" for my fucking games that I own, which I have paid for already when I bought them, that they developed, get ready to be sued to the moon.

It's like asking the PC gamers to pay for ray tracing implementation in a game which if it comes later in an update.

Jimbo TAX™ is the most stupidest bullshit $ony is pulling off since the start of this gen.

Microsoft should shit on them on social media so much that their stock prices go down (like during Fortnite crossplay debacle) and they should be forced to change back this ass backwards practice.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

How would that even work for Mario 64 or sunshine? Would you send Nintendo a picture of you with the cartridge? And are you comparing remasters with two versions of the same game coming at the same time?

sainraja

Sony shouldn't have followed EA's example of 'dual entitelment.' I can't believe the company that offered cross buy for select titles during a time when they had no reason to, when there was no expectation set, is now doing this lol.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
How would that even work for Mario 64 or sunshine? Would you send Nintendo a picture of you with the cartridge? And are you comparing remasters with two versions of the same game coming at the same time?
Yeah a more apt comparison would probably be Nintendo saying ‘fuck off’ and making us pay for digital console games that we already owned on the Wii to get them on Wii U (and then completely withholding them on Switch).

But to be honest, Nintendo isn’t the company Sony want to be striving after in terms of consumer friendliness.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have a hard time finding empathy for people waiting to play/complete a game from PS4 to PS5. Sure, Guilty Gear Strive on PS4 saved my DualSense from some wear and tear. I also realize I hunted down my PS5 for this reason. The reason is for playing PS5 worthy games on PS5. Smart Delivery doesn’t appeal to me at all. I didn’t buy Spider-Man again because I finished it and moved on.

I know someone who is not playing Horizon until they get a PS5. They don’t want to play the game on OK settings. It’s just fine to wait and play on whatever. I think people who have the next gen option stop caring at a certain point. You pay the big bucks for the console and the games are a done deal. Smart Delivery to me only matters if you A. Don’t own a console yet and B. You are putting a ton of time into that game to warrant being mad about it. It isn’t a deal breaker for me.

Interfectum

Seems my analogy was not appreciated. I'll try again.

Is it reasonable for Porsche to charge more for premium sound packages than Honda?
I guess it's just not the analogy you should be using. This has nothing to do with Xbox.

A better analogy would be you buy the Porsche and take it for it's first oil change at the dealership and they charge you for coffee while you wait. It's not a big deal but you've spent a lot of money and they are still trying to find ways to nickel and dime you.

Last edited:

Markio128

Yeah a more apt comparison would probably be Nintendo saying ‘fuck off’ and making us pay for digital console games that we already owned on the Wii to get them on Wii U (and then completely withholding them on Switch).

But to be honest, Nintendo isn’t the company Sony want to be striving after in terms of consumer friendliness.
Yeah, my example wasn’t the best, but you get my drift at least. I think I’m just trying to highlight that Sony are not the only company trying to run a profitable business by fair means or foul, but they certainly get the lions share of internet ire.

StormCell

Don't know if you've noticed, but the platform makers in Japan are kind of hard on the consumer. Sony does a lot more in the way of discounts and freebies than Nintendo, but both are kind of archaic in the sense that when you buy a game, you are essentially buying that hardware version of the game, and if the game appears on newer hardware they actually expect you to pay full price for the damn thing all over again. Oh well, to each his own.

Frankly, I suspect that other publishers will work around what MS has done in terms of buying one version of the game that will work across both generations of hardware. I can say that probably and most likely if you buy a game that says "Xbox One Version" you damn well better expect that the Series S|X version will be a whole separate purchase and set of DLC purchases just because. I hope that won't be the case for games like Cities: Skylines but I figure it will be so if they ever decide to release a Series S|X version...

Concern

Bolded is a straight up falsehood.

The PS5 has, so far, been far superior to the PS4 is every way imaginable for me. Faster system, better launch games, upgrades to the best PS4 games, maybe the best controller ever made. It's been awesome. What is the "shit" they are pulling? Ten dollars more for the more advanced version? Get over it people.

I'm sure you are. :messenger_smiling:

Already posted the proof for the last warrior. Its so fascinating how that antagonizes you tho 😁

NickFire

I guess it's just not the analogy you should be using. This has nothing to do with Xbox.

A better analogy would be you buy the Porsche and take it for it's first oil change at the dealership and they charge you for coffee while you wait. It's not a big deal but you've spent a lot of money and they are still trying to find ways to nickel and dime you.
Unless we are calling PC a console now, this is completely driven by Xbox, because we know it isn't Nintendo's people complaining about upgrade fees when they pay full price to play their games on a new console every few years.

K2D

Banned
I think the 10$ extra for the next-gen version is reasonable.

Game prices have been stagnant for the past 15 years.

Inflation is a thing.

But there absolutely should be an upgrade path no matter the version you purchase.

To be clear,

This is OK :
  • 60$ native PS4 games.
  • 70$ native PS5 games.
  • 10$ upgrade path from native PS4 to native PS5 games.
  • Free update for some native PS4 games to unlock framerate/resolution when played on PS5 with BC.
  • 70$ native PS5 games that include the native PS4 game ("cross-gen" bundles).

This is shit :
  • No upgrade path from native PS4 to native PS5 games, essentially having to buy the whole game twice.
  • Selling special edition bundles that contain both the native PS4 and PS5 versions for more than the price of the native PS5 game.

I still think they will announce an upgrade path for Forbidden West at some point.
You forget about when they gatekeep the upgrade with requiring the dlc/directors cut/goty edition.

I think if it's in the region of £10 or $10 (because that's how currency conversion works) then I'm okay with it. In a time where at least hundreds of thousands if not millions will pay £20 for skins, battlepasses every 3/4 months then I think this is a reasonable ask.

People expect more content and extra stuff, I'm more than content with an FPS bump a resolution bump is a bonus too.

sainraja

But Smart Delivery is just a marketing buzzword. 🤣

I can’t even be chuffed about it, in fact I find it fucking hilarious.

It should be 70 if you want last gen and current gen, 60 if you just want one or the other and 70 if it’s current gen only. The 10.00 tax on cross gen ports is hilarious to me as well.
Good thing you only care for Xbox then....no?

ZehDon

Gold Member
So, Sony's gone and called cross-platform "Dual Entitlement" to justify charging players twice for the same game. This amuses me, because according to the faithful, in wonderful threads like this one, Smart Delivery wasn't really a thing:
Crossbuy since 2012.

lol Microsoft slapped a name on something that's been going on for a long time and people clapped

It's like I'm taking crazy pills over here or something.

When game media - cartridge, DVD vs Blu-Ray - was a limiting factor, it made sense that new versions of games had new stuff on it. Now that everything is a download, that reason doesn't apply. There's no such thing as "dual entitlement" in the PC Space because it's all just the same code - either your machine can use the settings or it can't. What I see is that Sony is doing little more than charging players for PS5 config files. And that's pretty fucking shitty.

graywolf323

Dual Entitlement was created by EA

It seems like EA, Activision, Sony and a few other publishers are following each other when it comes to upgrades. EA went from a free model to also having to have a certain deluxe edition to gain access to both gen variations.
I think 2K did it first, like you didn't get the both XB1/XSX or PS4/PS5 versions of NBA 2K21 unless you bought the $100 Mamba edition IIRC

Genx3

Yeah not offering the 10 dollar upgrade path is definitely stupid. But the difference in price between platforms is a non issue.

The people most upset here are Xbox people. I think those of us that don't care about platforms and play everywhere ... don't care.

The bolded doesn't make any sense.
Why would Xbox or PC gamers be upset that Play Station gamers have to pay extra for upgrading the same game when a lot of those upgrades are free on Xbox and PC??

Very silly thing to say when you actually think about what you're saying.

Papacheeks

Banned
Hopefully this gets more traction. Sony should try to be more like Microsoft/pc with how these games work on PS5.

Instead of going the Nintendo route. Which will over time make them more money as more people will wait to buy ps5 version once they buy a PS5.

Just lelt it be 10 upgrade and be done with it. Or stop milking PS4 owners.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Fortunately for PC gamers, improving graphical features is just some fiddling in the settings. Free

Whitecrow

Banned
Why cant you see that MS Gamepass is just an abusive practice only possible thanks to MS having loads of millions to spare?

This kind of practice cant and shouldnt be taken as a baseline for good practices, since it's only bassed on burning millions and not thought out to gain profit.

You should compare Sony with Nintendo since they are the ones playig in the same league.

Also, PS4 and PS5 versions have different features and are different versions of the game, while for PC, it's just one version for all PCs, so there's no enhacements to pay for there.

As an existing owner of a Series X who recently purchased a PS5, I think it’s ridiculous that you have to pay more for a software update. Plus the PSN store is far more expensive than MS store (at least in Aus). $125 for a game is insane to me and makes Gamepass seem even better value.

Having said all that I’ve not been able to put down Disco Elysium for a fortnight and the kids are obsessed with Ratchett and Clank/Spider-Man.

Snake00

As a PC player, I can't even imagine having to pay for graphical features on games I already own every time I buy a new cpu/gpu.
Skyrim Special Edition did that, but having to pay for it at launch like in this case is even more shitty.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
My opinion is that it doesn't matter because people will pay it. If you don't like it, don't. I wouldn't.

For every 4 people who refuse to buy a game at launch because of the PS5 tax, there's someone spending $280 on the super mega deluxe version which comes with some shitty model they'll throw away in a few years.

mejin

Oh boy...can't imagine the articles and threads after the Showcase next week. So much pain and injustice.

Depends on who you compare Sony to.

Compared to MS they look like arrogant greedy pricks right now.
Compared to Nintendo they`re still fine.

It's a simple analogy, but It works.

winjer

Gold Member
This just feels like Sony is nickel and dimming it's consumers, for every little extra thing they can.
It's just greedy and anti consumer.

Top Bottom