• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Entitlement. Reasonable or Overcharge

Is Dual Entitlement Charge Reasonable or an Overcharge

• Reasonable

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • Overcharge

Votes: 151 79.9%
  • You are of Other Opinion

Votes: 11 5.8%

• Total voters

ManaByte

Gold Member
What's your view on dual entitlement charge. I know many of you haven't yet got PS5 due to supply issues. What's your take?

It's extremely arrogant and greedy to only give free upgrades to launch titles at a time when most of their launch stock was picked up by scalpers, and now when people can finally actually buy a system without trouble they get taxed for their next gen upgrade.

I should be charged twice for apps when I go from my iphone 12 to iphone 13....rule of thumb...if apple isnt greedy enough to do it its proooooooooooobably a bad idea. But I said this in my Ghost of Tsushima thread and the Sony defense for came for me. I hope the outrage continues cause it'll die down and just come back when GOW drops. Their good games are a veil for their shitty business practices.

Tripolygon

Banned
I should be charged twice for apps when I go from my iphone 12 to iphone 13....rule of thumb...if apple isnt greedy enough to do it its proooooooooooobably a bad idea. But I said this in my Ghost of Tsushima thread and the Sony defense for came for me. I hope the outrage continues cause it'll die down and just come back when GOW drops. Their good games are a veil for their shitty business practices.
You are not charged for games if you go from your PS4 to PS5. It works in BC mode.

But I get what you mean.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You can't defend that shit but I'm sure someone here will try.

Is Ferrari allowed to charge more for its cars than Ford?

This is the unparalleled Sony AAA experience so many of you love. Pay to play.
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

FrozenFlame

As a PC player, I can't even imagine having to pay for graphical features on games I already own every time I buy a new cpu/gpu.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

The entry fee might be high but in the long run, PC gaming wins. Cheaper games and/or bundles will create a nice backlog of games that you'll probably never play. Bonus points for having Xbox exclusives also available on PC and now you're starting to get Playstation exclusives.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I give Sony PR points for taking an absolutely horrible policy, and somehow coming up with a name that makes it sound EVEN WORSE.

Dual entitlement: just to remind you that you don't even own either game technically while you throw down that $80. Dual entitlement has to be one of the smuggest terms ever invented. It's not dual ownership, it's dual entitlement. I mean, someone fire this PR firm they're working with immediately.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily have an issue with it. I see the benefits of Smart Delivery and it's dope, and I also buy my PS5 exclusives for the price they are - I own both consoles, switch, and a PC.

I went ahead and preordered the deluxe edition of HFW for instance.

My issue is with A) If they said it was free at one point then we find out they're charging for it - I don't care what company it is I'm not defending that behavior
And B) When news like this happens and watching people who cling so much to their plastic box of choice they choose to ignore bad business because of their fandom.

I'm not partial to a particular box though, which is why I don't even reply to or engage in the whole console war thing. I just enjoy games

sainraja

Sony should just go back to cross buy (what they implemented with select titles going from PS3 to PS4) where if you buy it for one of the PS systems, you have it on all PS systems as long as it has the same version. It should be applied to their first party games.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

I give Sony PR points for taking an absolutely horrible policy, and somehow coming up with a name that makes it sound EVEN WORSE.

Dual entitlement: just to remind you that you don't even own either game technically while you throw down that $80. Dual entitlement has to be one of the smuggest terms ever invented. It's not dual ownership, it's dual entitlement. I mean, someone fire this PR firm they're working with immediately.
ok I usually don't vote and like posts on poll to maintain neutrality but I will make an exception. Although I don't think they came up with it, I think EA did it.

JaksGhost

Dual Entitlement was created by EA

It seems like EA, Activision, Sony and a few other publishers are following each other when it comes to upgrades. EA went from a free model to also having to have a certain deluxe edition to gain access to both gen variations.

Last edited:

Keihart

It's the same fucking game and they are choosing to charge twice or the 10 dollar premium to any suckers willing to pay for it.

Smart business, absolutely scummy behavior, i have 0 trust on current PS management.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I'm honestly starting to think that not being able to buy into the current Playstation generation through lack of stock wasnt that bad of a thing

The lack of memory expansion is another.

I feel that the PS5 sales is riding high off of how good the PS4 was, but slowly and surely that good old time will come to an end with shit like this, you can only fuck off your die hard crowd for so long.

Concern

I'm honestly starting to think that not being able to buy into the current Playstation generation through lack of stock wasnt that bad of a thing

I feel that the PS5 sales is riding high off of how good the PS4 was, but slowly and surely that good old time will come to an end with shit like this, you can only fuck off your die hard crowd for so long.

I even got sent an invite from Sony to buy one and passed. And every time they say something new, I'm more glad I passed.

Dr Bass

It doesn’t affect me as I’ll be purchasing the PS5 version, but I find it very difficult to understand why PS4 owners don’t get an upgrade option, as in just paying the difference between PS4 and PS5 versions. That seems fair for all.
Yeah not offering the 10 dollar upgrade path is definitely stupid. But the difference in price between platforms is a non issue.

The people most upset here are Xbox people. I think those of us that don't care about platforms and play everywhere ... don't care.

Side note: People criticizing the "dual entitlements" moniker. It sounds like something that was named by an engineer. Like they started referencing "permissions" in materials for customers. It's not some nefarious word with hidden meanings. It's not a great name for the fact that it does sound like it was named by someone thinking in technical terms, and not something user friendly, but looking for fault in literally every nook and cranny reeks of desperation to try and tear down a company that's not the one you're treating like your local sports team.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Bolded is a straight up falsehood.

The PS5 has, so far, been far superior to the PS4 is every way imaginable for me. Faster system, better launch games, upgrades to the best PS4 games, maybe the best controller ever made. It's been awesome. What is the "shit" they are pulling? Ten dollars more for the more advanced version? Get over it people.

I even got sent an invite from Sony to buy one and passed. And every time they say something new, I'm more glad I passed.
I'm sure you are. :messenger_smiling:

Sleepwalker

The line between generations is blurry enough as it is right now. I think dual entitlement shouldn't be a thing, smart delivery is probably the best way to go about this.

Sony, EA, Activision etc are just being stupidly greedy. The optimist in me would like to think these issues will be ironed out, but probably more publishers will join in and do the same instead, Ubisoft is next.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
i'm against it, but what can you do about it? these consoles are walled gardens and you have to abide by their rules if you want to use them.

Kagey K

Banned
Even the normies on Plebit are revolting, 4.5k upvotes on rgaming.

3uut31fcr3l71.png
But Smart Delivery is just a marketing buzzword. 🤣

I can’t even be chuffed about it, in fact I find it fucking hilarious.

It should be 70 if you want last gen and current gen, 60 if you just want one or the other and 70 if it’s current gen only. The 10.00 tax on cross gen ports is hilarious to me as well.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
I think the 10$ extra for the next-gen version is reasonable.

Game prices have been stagnant for the past 15 years.

Inflation is a thing.

But there absolutely should be an upgrade path no matter the version you purchase.

To be clear,

This is OK :
  • 60$ native PS4 games.
  • 70$ native PS5 games.
  • 10$ upgrade path from native PS4 to native PS5 games.
  • Free update for some native PS4 games to unlock framerate/resolution when played on PS5 with BC.
  • 70$ native PS5 games that include the native PS4 game ("cross-gen" bundles).

This is shit :
  • No upgrade path from native PS4 to native PS5 games, essentially having to buy the whole game twice.
  • Selling special edition bundles that contain both the native PS4 and PS5 versions for more than the price of the native PS5 game.

I still think they will announce an upgrade path for Forbidden West at some point.

The idea of paying for native PS5 versions is okay with me, assuming there are actual enhancements that warrant the charge (there are nascent benefits from just using PS5 hardware to emulate PS4 games, as is, so it rarely applies).

But the failure of Sony to implement a uniform policy is baffling. Some devs charge, some do not, some upgrades are free, others require paying full price for a native version. MS has had some wrinkles with their own Smart Delivery system, but it is far and away superior to whatever the hell is happening over at PS.

dorkimoe

Inflation is a thing.

But there absolutely should be an upgrade path no matter the version you purchase.

To be clear,

This is OK :
  • 60$ native PS4 games.
  • 70$ native PS5 games.
  • 10$ upgrade path from native PS4 to native PS5 games.
  • Free update for some native PS4 games to unlock framerate/resolution when played on PS5 with BC.
  • 70$ native PS5 games that include the native PS4 game ("cross-gen" bundles).

This is shit :
  • No upgrade path from native PS4 to native PS5 games, essentially having to buy the whole game twice.
  • Selling special edition bundles that contain both the native PS4 and PS5 versions for more than the price of the native PS5 game.

I still think they will announce an upgrade path for Forbidden West at some point.
Its reasonable if its a true next gen game, but its not reasonable to punish someone who has only a ps4 and buys Horizon and cant get an upgrade for free.

FrozenFlame

Inflation is a thing.
Man, imagine coming with this argument while ignoring the fact that in the last 15 years there was an increase to the number of people purchasing games/dlc's. Gaming is the biggest entertainment industry and yet poor publishers need the money to feed their poor kids...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
$10 isn't much and it incentivizes additional work above and beyond simply running the legacy code on stronger hardware.

Whether that's done or whether it justifies the additional expense is obviously down to individual cases and what the buyer values, but it at least gives the option.

From a business standpoint it also protects them somewhat from PS4 sales cannibalizing PS5 sales in the aftermarket. Basically I suspect their viewpoint on this is that in the years to come used PS4 titles will be in plentiful supply, potentially taking away sales/revenue of new product. This way they cut themselves in to such sales.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Man, imagine coming with this argument while ignoring the fact that in the last 15 years there was an increase to the number of people purchasing games/dlc's. Gaming is the biggest entertainment industry and yet poor publishers need the money to feed their poor kids...
I mean, don't you think inflation is a thing?

Don't you also think that games costs more to make now compared to 15 years ago?

Top Bottom