• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Entitlement. Reasonable or Overcharge

Is Dual Entitlement Charge Reasonable or an Overcharge

• Reasonable

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • Overcharge

Votes: 151 79.9%
  • You are of Other Opinion

Votes: 11 5.8%

• Total voters

Aion002

Well, talking specifically about Sony, specially since MS isn't doing it, it's freaking bad in my opinion.

Same thing about asking 70 usd for next gen games.

Concern

30k upvotes now…

sRg9WHH.jpg

But 18 people say its "reasonable" here lol

Three

As a PC player, I can't even imagine having to pay for graphical features on games I already own every time I buy a new cpu/gpu.
This isn't the same thing. Why do you think the next gen version of cyberpunk is delayed if this were just a no effort settings change. Porting to another generation console takes time and money.

Three

30k upvotes now…

sRg9WHH.jpg
Big budget single player games vs big budget MP games with multiple $10+ microtransactions that they are charging $60 for. They chucked in the lower budget tactics rather than actual Gears of War which again is filled with microtransactions but Tactics is more akin to a low budget game like Alienation which would have usually cost $30 or £16 on release.

The upgrade charges from PS4 to PS5 versions are total bullshit. The weird thing is that the $70 price tag for new games doesn't bother me as much as the little $10 or $20 upgrade charges for the PS5 version when you already own the PS4 version. A lot of developers are giving those upgrades for free, including most F2P and multiplayer games. I used to buy my Sony exclusives not too long after launch (Usually waiting for first decent sale), but since I know they are just going to charge each time they update the game I'll just wait until definitive editions hit the bargain bins. I've got enough to play that I don't need to play Sony exclusives near launch.

This isn't the same thing. Why do you think the next gen version of cyberpunk is delayed if this were just a no effort settings change. Porting to another generation console takes time and money.
But this is a dev issue. As a consumer you shouldn’t care if they followed the best practices when it comes to multiplat development and I don’t believe this is an argument to charge more for a simple upgrade. We aren’t in the 2000s where each system had a different architecture. Nowadays they are all pc-like and the mainstream development tools already handle mutiplay dev.

Three

But this is a dev issue. As a consumer you shouldn’t care if they followed the best practices when it comes to multiplat development and I don’t believe this is an argument to charge more for a simple upgrade. We aren’t in the 2000s where each system had a different architecture. Nowadays they are all pc-like and the mainstream development tools already handle mutiplay dev.
I don't think it's a matter of best practices. it requires dev and QA time and that goes into budget and pricing. Development tools today make things easier to port but they don't make it costless or effortless otherwise CDPR wouldn't be hit with all these delays for the next gen version.

I don't think it's a matter of best practices. it requires dev and QA time and that goes into budget and pricing. Development tools today make things easier to port but they don't make it costless or effortless otherwise CDPR wouldn't be hit with all these delays for the next gen version.
They didn’t even had a product ready so they aren’t parameter. CDPR is finishing the game as we speak. EA and Activision, for instance and despite all hate, seem to manage multiplat dev quite well. We tend to assume devs are some sort of magical beings but no, it is like any other industry where you have competent and incompetent people.

Three

They didn’t even had a product ready so they aren’t parameter. CDPR is finishing the game as we speak. EA and Activision, for instance and despite all hate, seem to manage multiplat dev quite well. We tend to assume devs are some sort of magical beings but no, it is like any other industry where you have competent and incompetent people.
EA and Activision are good at it I agree but they too charge $10 more for the next gen dual versions of their games. With no upgrade path too.

To be able to go to the current gen version while also owning the last gen version of Battlefield 2042 you have to get the $100 Gold edition.

Last edited:

MrTentakel

It´s reasonable to ask customers to pay for the generational upgrade.
It´s smart to build a fanbase by providing the upgrade for free.

chonga

What about omni entitlement? The complaint is that you're charged to play the same title on a different system, but within the same family - but why stop there? Why should you pay for an Xbox version, a PlayStation version, a Switch version, a PC version if you own multiple device families.

That's a more egregious price tax because whilst there's extra cost in publishing to additional devices the cost to you as a consumer is way more out of proportion than a 'next gen' tax.

Kilau

I don’t agree with this tactic, it’s exploitive, but some of the analogies in this thread are absolutely awful.

sublimit

Banned
It's quite simple actually.

Games that originally came on PS4-only i played them or i will play them on PS4. If they will have free upgrades that's fine if not then i don't care.Not going to buy them again for PS5.

For crossgen games i'll wait until i have a PS5 then buy the PS5 versions. This goes for multiplatform as well regardless if they have free upgrades or not.

I really don't understand all the crying and whining.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Seems my analogy was not appreciated. I'll try again.

Is it reasonable for Porsche to charge more for premium sound packages than Honda?
A better analogy:

is it reasonable for Sony to sell you a PS5 that is capable of better frame rates, higher resolutions, enhanced controls and high end graphical effects and then charge you more money for games you already own to be able to use the hardware capabilities you already paid for?

Theres no reason for two versions of games or upgrade fees or license revocation when you upgrade. The simplest, least confusing way to handle this is to charge one price for a game and you get the version that works best on the system you play it on. It appears that "we believe in generations" means "customers should pay for their games again every generation." Sony just doesn't want to look like a dick for charging PS4 gamers $70 so we get this level of upgrade gymnastics.

Dr.Morris79

Tell that to Nintendo.

More on-topic. This stuff basically guarantees that I will treat the PS5 like I did the PS4. That is, play PC and Nintendo games for years while I wait for the right moment to grab it, when I can get 8 PS5 games for the price of one Spider-Man update.
Thankfully, due to Sony stock, they made sure thats how i'll end up playing this stuff. By the time I get a PS5 this stuff will be dirt cheap anyway.

The Alien

Banned
if you ignore the labels and keep it real, the crux of the argument is whether or not the recent / future first party Sony games are worth the price that you pay? And to that my answer is 100%, without question.

Also, imagine sitting at a 5 star steakhouse, chowing down on a $60 rib eye, complete with a la carte sides, while sipping creative drinks from a top notch bar tender. But then outback across the street opens its windows, and the people eating the outback special point and laugh at how much your steak costs compared to theirs. That is what these debates often remind me of.

As an aside, no offense to outback intended. I'll always love the bloomin onion.
Imagine going into a premiere steak restaurant and seeing the menu price be X. Then the waiter confirms the pricing. You order your delicious steak. The bill comes....but with a 30% increase across the board.

That's what this debate reminds me of.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Definitely reasonable here. In fact they are undercharging dual entitlement. I hope they will charge us more if not straight out remove dual entitlement so players will buy separate copies instead at full price.

Fbh

I like how Sony "believes in generations" just enough to not offer free upgrades but not enough to make Horizon and GOW proper next gen exclusives

Overcharge.

Can you imagine the uproar from pc gamers if game developers removed the graphic options from games and charged extra for better looking versions?

This is almost worse because it's the same company selling you the hardware and the games.
So it's as if Nvidia started making PC games but then charged you to unlock the higher settings, higher framerates and ray tracing after you purchased an Rtx3090 from them

The people who applaud Sony/PlayStation after every quarterly earnings report and brag about the company making record revenues and profits are the same people who are on this thread defending these asinine business practices that degrades loyal consumers. The worst part is they have no actual financial stake in the company, they do it because they think Sony is their friend :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Does not affect me since I have both next gen console but I like that one comment from the purple dimension saying that it is akin to paying to run the game at maximum setting instead of high on pc. I loled.

Warablo

When you buy a PS5 game you should get the PS4 game too. Preferably you get both when you buy the PS4 game too, but Sony backed themself in a corner when they upped prices for PS5.

Last edited:

RafterXL

I mean, don't you think inflation is a thing?

Don't you also think that games costs more to make now compared to 15 years ago?
Don't you think wage stagnation is a thing?

Also, profits have outpaced inflation and development costs for years now, so that whole angle is just ignorant of what's actually happening in the game industry.

Top Bottom